Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

glyph posted:

1HGCM558X7A168201 plox

And just for grins, the buggy I just totalled- 1HGCM55673A024498

here you go mang:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/1HGCM558X7A168201.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/1HGCM55673A024498.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

e: fan clutch went out at a track day, somehow didn't take out anything but the fan. I threw it in a dumpster and drove home.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Pierced Bronson posted:

$1500down, 2 year lease, 10k/yr miles. There's a $500,000 pool of EV incentive money left for my state, of which I was eligible to get $3k toward the lease plus my employee discount. They also gave me a $1000 credit towards a BMW charger, but I'm going to get a Siemens charger instead and I still get the $1000.

Plus I'll be able to charge for free at work till I find something better to do with my life.

Insurance tho went up $60/mo. I'm keeping my 330ci but I should be able to save at least that much in fuel savings

oh and also that includes the range extender. If I had gone with a lesser 'world' I could have come in at under $100/mo and if I had gone full electric instead of REx it would have been cheaper still. I don't plan to dip into the REx a bunch but I wasn't comfortable enough being absolutely limited to 60-80 miles with the pure electric, since I've never really had to quantify my driving patterns in 'miles per day'

drat that's a great deal. Would love to hear what you think. My Fiat 500e lease will finish soon and to be honest it's going to be hard to convince me to get another electric but I could be convinced by a BMW.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i hope you enjoy the i3 and really are happy but man that is one serious design failure. like pontiac aztek level. :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Trans,

Run your Vin through a Vin decoder to find out which color it is

Did bmw stop putting the paint tag on the front strut tower?

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

BraveUlysses posted:

Trans,

Run your Vin through a Vin decoder to find out which color it is

Thanks! Apparently it's Anthracite Grey Metallic.

I also apparently have the M Sport suspension :getin: No indication of a heated wheel, but I also have the M Sport wheel - is it heated?

Edit: Throatwarbler, what does the button on the wheel look like? No mention of a winter package in the options list :(

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 22, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There would be a button on the steering wheel for it. in the decoder it might just come up as the winter prep package.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pierced Bronson posted:

$1500down, 2 year lease, 10k/yr miles. There's a $500,000 pool of EV incentive money left for my state, of which I was eligible to get $3k toward the lease plus my employee discount. They also gave me a $1000 credit towards a BMW charger, but I'm going to get a Siemens charger instead and I still get the $1000.

Plus I'll be able to charge for free at work till I find something better to do with my life.

Insurance tho went up $60/mo. I'm keeping my 330ci but I should be able to save at least that much in fuel savings

oh and also that includes the range extender. If I had gone with a lesser 'world' I could have come in at under $100/mo and if I had gone full electric instead of REx it would have been cheaper still. I don't plan to dip into the REx a bunch but I wasn't comfortable enough being absolutely limited to 60-80 miles with the pure electric, since I've never really had to quantify my driving patterns in 'miles per day'
Wow that seems really reasonable for the REx model. I know Dad was really thinking about buying one, maybe I'll run this by him. I might have to go re-test drive one and see how it would work out. My commute is just under 42 miles round trip but I can charge at work which makes a EV even more attractive.

User Error posted:

e: fan clutch went out at a track day, somehow didn't take out anything but the fan. I threw it in a dumpster and drove home.
drat when mine went it yanked the water pump breaking a bolt and killing the gasket then launched itself into the radiator chewing the poo poo out of it. You are a lucky man.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 23, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

God drat heater core...does this look rusty to you?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

SuperDucky posted:

does this look rusty to you?

does that translucent plastic bit hold liquid? I'd guess the brown discoloration was just from age / reaction with heat and propylene glycol but idk i've never had an e30 apart before

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I go through cars so quickly... maybe I should buy something I actually want instead of compromising every time. Back to casually searching for an E36 M3.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2015

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I heard a sound in my e39 525i today. It's kind of a high pitch rattling sound near the belts, fan and so forth. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8JzNMlEqc

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Private video :)

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
Fixed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How old are your water pump and belt tensioner pulley?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
About a year. Maybe it's VANOS? I haven't reupped my VANOS poo poo

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

If the VIN lookups are still ongoing could you try WBADE5321WBV93469

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ultrabay2000 posted:

If you google the vin, you find it went through copart auctions in february with the primary damage being mechanical.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Powershift posted:

If you google the vin, you find it went through copart auctions in february with the primary damage being mechanical.

Yeah, it had a bad timing chain tensioner. Previous owner decided to auction it rather than pay to have it fixed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ultrabay2000 posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/WBADE5321WBV93469.pdf

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat, that's a whole bunch of miles.

also, my 540 got hit and run on in a parking lot again, gently caress this stupid earth.

It looks like it popped a couple clips that hold the bumper cover or something. You just can't have nice poo poo here.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Yeah, it was probably dumb to buy. It drives well though! We'll see how poor of a decision it is in the long term I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ultrabay2000 posted:

Yeah, it was probably dumb to buy. It drives well though! We'll see how poor of a decision it is in the long term I guess.

I bought my 540 barely running at an auction as well for $1000.

We can be bad decision buddies.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that was an awesome decision and you did sweet burnouts in your V8 540. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oh yeah, it worked out awesome as balls, but the phrase "$1,000 auction bmw" would be expected to end in tears.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I thought my $2000 E34 would end in tears but it was five years of awesome driving followed by heartbreak when the rust cancer finally claimed it.

So yes I guess it ended in tears but not like you'd expect.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Has anyone ever rolled a rear e46 arch? They're like double skinned so I'm wondering how easy it is to do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

Has anyone ever rolled a rear e46 arch? They're like double skinned so I'm wondering how easy it is to do.

:lol: Wire wheel out the seam sealer on the inside then you can roll it in.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The E91 looked all shiny at just the right angle at Cars & Coffee yesterday

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Rest in peace, lovely LM reps. The one I had repaired a year ago didn't take too kindly to a repair on the inner lip. I thought the reason for it's ever-increasingly-quick leakdown was a bad valve stem. Turns out, it developed 4 more stress fractures on the inner lip. Its toast. Time to find some roadstars...I just wish the e30 was driveable so I didn't have to pound on the spare. Having 9" of tire on the left and a donut on the right makes for some interesting handling characteristics.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I think my perfect 5 series DD would be an e34 touring, with a frankensteined M60b44 + 6 speed thrown in with LSD to help handle the winters

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

:lol: Wire wheel out the seam sealer on the inside then you can roll it in.

Yup, same as an e36. You'll probably crack the paint though, I had the heatgun going like mad on my M3 and it still cracked on one side :shrug:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Party Alarm posted:

I think my perfect 5 series DD would be an e34 touring, with a frankensteined M60b44 + 6 speed thrown in with LSD to help handle the winters

Better off getting an E39. The M62 has way more giddy up than the M60.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Party Alarm posted:

I'm cumming.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

If I were a millionaire this is what I would DD, no fucks given

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Just bought a poormobile. 2001 E39 540i/6. 107k miles. It's a blue-grey color - I actually have no idea what the name of the color is, I looked through a list of E39 colors and I still can't figure it out.

This is the newest BMW I've ever owned - I've had 2 E24s and an E28 M5. Out of those, I wrecked the first E24, the M5 developed oil in the coolant, and I bought the second E24 with a bad camshaft...so I guess fourth time's the charm? :)

I can't get over how luxurious this thing is. I've never had a car with a power tilt steering wheel before :D

Also, this car gets the prize for least intuitive cruise control ever. I had to pull out the owner's manual twice before I was able to figure it out.

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 25, 2015

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

SuperDucky posted:

I'm cumming.

Is that....is that a technoviolet wagon?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

If you're still not sure of the name of the color, pop open the hood and take a look near one of the strut towers. There should be a tag with the color on it. :)

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I did...I did not know technoviolet (or daytona violet) were available at all.

I am now saving up for individual paint on my m3 for next year. I think that's like an additional $5000 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yep, $5K is the price for a paint they already have the recipe for. You might be first to ask for it on an F80 tho.