Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Is there really a good reason why you can't replacing the button mashing over "Follow her Orders this time? Yes/No"

Since there's someone who probably cares about spoilers in this thread:

Yes, because the whole point of that sequence is realizing that disobedience is an option. The game doesn't present it to you like that, very intentionally--it's hiding the choice, until you're ready to make it. I found that to be very powerful, and it made finding that ending all the better. I will admit the sequence could have afforded to be shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All the mechanics present make sense in the context of the game and the narrative. The problem is they really should have just scrapped the drat game and started from scratch rather than spending the 2nd half of the game Groundhog Daying the player. It went from GotY 2014 to 'screw it, 2014 doesn't have a GotY' in one fell swoop.

Which actually reminds me of another flawed Gem of 2014, Divinity: Original Sin. If you took that game's combat mechanics and plugged them into Baldur's Gate II you'd have a G.O.A.T. contender (of course, BG II is already a GOAT contender, but the game would be exponentially better). Unfortunately D:OS's everything that isn't combat/Character progression robbed it of it's luster.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I would say a poo poo ton of why the majority hated it was because of a basically unskippable-yet-still active crystal cutscene. If that was just a choice, it would've severely downplayed the tedium.

I can't even argue with that entirely because the loving crystal button mashing with its JUUUUUST A LITTLE MORE was absurd.

cheetah7071 posted:

Since there's someone who probably cares about spoilers in this thread:

Yes, because the whole point of that sequence is realizing that disobedience is an option. The game doesn't present it to you like that, very intentionally--it's hiding the choice, until you're ready to make it. I found that to be very powerful, and it made finding that ending all the better. I will admit the sequence could have afforded to be shorter.

But disobedience is the wrong option and fucks everyone in exchange for short-term peace. It'd make sense if disobeying was the way to go but it's the opposite. The only way to succeed is to bravely default. The 'true' path is realizing that you know the plan and have to wait for the chance to strike, effectively mixing gameplay and story together. It is why you Default four times before you attack.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you hated Bravely Default so much, I have no idea why you'd be looking forward to the sequel who's doing the exact same thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

But disobedience is the wrong option and fucks everyone in exchange for short-term peace. It'd make sense if disobeying was the way to go but it's the opposite. The only way to succeed is to bravely default. The 'true' path is realizing that you know the plan and have to wait for the chance to strike, effectively mixing gameplay and story together. It is why you Default four times before you attack.

I agree with this complaint, the hidden ending should have been the true ending.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is Bravely Second seriously doing the Groundhog Day thing again?
Well gently caress. Unboughted.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

Chapter 8 was super fun. It requires you to be broken in a fun, interesting way. You might be able to grind out of the challenge but I'm not sure, and you certainly don't need to grind unless your builds are just unworkable.

By Chapter 8 on hard mode even being the max level of 99 won't help you if you don't know how to play the game. It's great.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My big problem with Chapter 8 is that I was thoroughly burned out on the game by then and I just wanted it to be over.
Then the game was like 'Here's a Gauntlet of amazingly horrible bullshit that would have been really fun 15 hours of gameplay and 20 boss fights ago.'

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree with this complaint, the hidden ending should have been the true ending.

So I should shoot for the hidden ending? Is it something you could reasonably find/achieve without the help of a guide?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

So I should shoot for the hidden ending? Is it something you could reasonably find/achieve without the help of a guide?

Literally the only thing you have to do is obey. It's not like valkyrie Profile bullshit where you need a guide.

edit: Wait, I'm confused. What are you guys referring to as hidden ending

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

You shouldn't. You don't fight the real final boss without going for the true ending and within the confines of the story it is a Bad Ending.

You get the true ending just by doing what you're told.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

You access the hidden ending by thinking critically about the themes presented in the game. Unfortunately, the true, happy ending is the one where you just keep playing without thinking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ChrisBTY posted:

Is Bravely Second seriously doing the Groundhog Day thing again?
Well gently caress. Unboughted.

From what I've seen (major Bravely Second spoilers) it only happens once, and it's nowhere near as bad as how Bravely Default handled it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You shouldn't. You don't fight the real final boss without going for the true ending and within the confines of the story it is a Bad Ending.

You get the true ending just by doing what you're told.

I'll just take it on faith that this will make sense when I get there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'll just take it on faith that this will make sense when I get there.

Not only will it make sense, but if you get the bad ending you keep your progress and loading your save data will put you where you were before you made the choice that triggers it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I get the idea of it thematically, I think it was just handled badly by having the hidden option be wrong, not that the actual decision was wrong. The whole point the themes are driving toward is that you shouldn't disagree just to disagree if it won't make anything any better, and that you should disobey the people who are wrong for the right reasons because nobody knows the truth and the only way to know is to let things happen. The problem was more that you could arrive at the same "correct" answer by doing nothing. What they clearly wanted you to do is to realize that certain people are wrong or misleading you, think about doing the opposite of what they want just to screw them over, then think a little harder and realize that what they want you to do is your only chance to do something positive and therefore you must let them succeed as it's the only opportunity you have to truly stop them.

If they'd restructured it a bit to encourage the alternative or otherwise required some degree of comprehension on the part of the player it'd work out better. Because they didn't, you can accidentally end up getting the True Ending despite not really understanding why you made the right decision, which leads to the weird feeling if you get the Bad Ending that you were punished for thinking. The intent is that you should have thought harder, except thinking harder and not thinking at all bring you to the same place. That's the part where they screw up, not with the themes themselves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd buy that analysis more if the characters weren't presented as barely-functional morons throughout the entire reveal in the True Ending.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm not saying there weren't a ton of issues with the writing, just that I get where they were trying to take it and the biggest gameplay-and-story issue that made it gently caress up was that they let you make a choice that was supposed to just be halfway to the right answer and the right answer could be reached by not even noticing there was a choice, instead of having two choices where you're supposed to not exercise the first choice so you can exercise the second.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm off my like 5 year sabbatical from Nippon icchi games, and started playing Soul Nomad, just because one review said the battle system is "Ogre Battle 64."

I got a bad ending already. Also seems like combat seems to heavily favor not actually attacking and just buffing and waiting for the opponent to hit you.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm not sure what it really has in common with Ogre Battle other than that you put units into grids I guess. I'd offer tips but I can't loving remember how to cheese Soul Nomad after so many years. Something about rerolling rooms? gently caress if I know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I got a bad ending already. Also seems like combat seems to heavily favor not actually attacking and just buffing and waiting for the opponent to hit you.
Buffing: Yes

Waiting for the opponent to hit you: No, especially since you can't use skills or combo attacks on counters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just recently played Hylics. It's an RPGmaker game that's a lot like Space Funeral in its weirdness. Not as good (also it costs $3) but the graphics are really nice, all being based on clay models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNUgeEryCM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Legaia 2. Now to either start on Wild Arms 3 or Suikoden 3. The battle of the threes....

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tae posted:

Most AI units are passive at the start of the battle. You need to draw them out in small groups and then attack, preferably in a way that won't let them counter.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Nakar posted:

I'm not sure what it really has in common with Ogre Battle other than that you put units into grids I guess. I'd offer tips but I can't loving remember how to cheese Soul Nomad after so many years. Something about rerolling rooms? gently caress if I know.

Reroll rooms until you get the room you want with as many spots open in the best possible pattern, which is probably 2-1-2 room that gets +strength per tile moved at the start. Also there's a way to cheese the upgrade rooms or whatever with like solo/invis rushes to the room bosses iirc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Legaia 2. Now to either start on Wild Arms 3 or Suikoden 3. The battle of the threes....

Wild Arms 3 is pretty good. Suikoden 3 has some interesting ideas with horrendously bad execution, including a huge swath of "okay you won this optional battle but now the script is going to insult you and then make you lose anyway" fights, and commits the cardinal sin of giving you either terribly unimpressive items or absolutely essential ones you get limited copies of as rewards for winning these super-hard encounters.

If I had to choose one, WA is the no-brainer.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 22, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm really liking BoF2 so far. Some thoughts:

*It takes a while for most of the characters to really starting feeling like they have some power. Like, Nina feels like a weak piece of poo poo when you first get her, but now that I've leveled her up to have Thunder and Fireblast, she's very powerful.

*The game still has the BoF1 issue of "why am I doing this?", but the scenarios are much more interesting and fun this time, so I really don't care that most of them don't really tie into the main plot points in most cases exept for the bad guy being an underling of Demon Eyeball Guy Thing at the very end.

*The retranslation is really, really good. It reminds me a bit of a Working Designs translation, but without outdated pop-culture references and a bit more swearing added. It's nice to see an SNES jRPG where you can see that each important character has their own voice, like Katt's brash childishness compared to Nina's calm and more mature speaking style.

*Biulding the town isn't nearly as complicated as it looks. I was expecting a ton of choices, but instead it seems to be "Find a dude that can sell items and recruit him for your town".

Right now, I'm going to put the plot on hold and grind out Spar, Rand, and Bow because I've been going through most of the quests with Sten so I can level him up for his solo sequence. I've already got Spar in his mushroom girl form, so he should be a bit more useful.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

closeted republican posted:

I'm really liking BoF2 so far. Some thoughts:

*It takes a while for most of the characters to really starting feeling like they have some power. Like, Nina feels like a weak piece of poo poo when you first get her, but now that I've leveled her up to have Thunder and Fireblast, she's very powerful.

have you found......... the queen. *whacks whale uvula*

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man that reminds me. There is a secret at the end of the game that is downright impossible to figure out because it requires doing something while the screen is obscured. Someone remind me what it was, cause I think it was important.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

HGH posted:

Oh man that reminds me. There is a secret at the end of the game that is downright impossible to figure out because it requires doing something while the screen is obscured. Someone remind me what it was, cause I think it was important.

Do you mean the accessory hidden behind the secret passage in the room where you fight Barubary? He gives what's supposed to be a hint about it if you choose to solo him, although in the original translation it didn't come across very clearly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh that must be it. Guess it was less important than I thought.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best secret in BoF 2 is the Chun-Li cameo.

E: actually I think that was the first game

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 22, 2015

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Wait, there was a retranslation for BoF2? poo poo, if I didn't have a backlog of RPGs as is that would be tempting to look into.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Overlord K posted:

Wait, there was a retranslation for BoF2? poo poo, if I didn't have a backlog of RPGs as is that would be tempting to look into.

Yep.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The retranslation is pretty drat near essential, since the game is borderline incoherent without it. The result of what happens when you translate something from the Japanese literally without making sure it sounds right in English, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In the original translation of BoF2 to go fishing you have to equip your 'lod'. Yeah.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

The best secret in BoF 2 is the Chun-Li cameo.

E: actually I think that was the first game

its also in 3 isn't it

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Thuryl posted:

Do you mean the accessory hidden behind the secret passage in the room where you fight Barubary? He gives what's supposed to be a hint about it if you choose to solo him, although in the original translation it didn't come across very clearly.

Son of a BITCH! I never knew about this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalR posted:

Son of a BITCH! I never knew about this.

Yeah, I beat that motherfucker solo back on the SNES and I had no idea what his babble meant. I don't think I ever got the accessory. What does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What is the "difficulty level" of Soul Nomad, like is there a point when the game forces me to go beyond "Buff a lot, cannot die because of healers, repeat." There's not a lot of info on this game.