Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're in your CA, hanging back near the BBs and/or CVs to protect them. A volley of torpedoes comes at you from a nearby cluster of islands, which you easily dodge.

Do you:
A) Immediately alt tab to post about how awful your experience just was, or
B) Sail over towards the islands to flush out and explode the DD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I take option C: Fail to dodge the torpedoes and then proceed to whine about how torpedoes and DDs are ruining the game and must be nerfed

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Realizing the Nicholas can actually hide itself completely in its smoke cloud and still fire has changed everything.

Also, it can citadel light cruisers.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I asked in chat if I could pen a Murmansk in my Nicholas and everybody said no or I'm not sure. I ended up dying with one citadel on a Murmansk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TSBX posted:

I asked in chat if I could pen a Murmansk in my Nicholas and everybody said no or I'm not sure. I ended up dying with one citadel on a Murmansk.

I hit one in the Cit 4 times tonight before I died. I took him from full to 3000 before he finally found/got me.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Well I ended up crashing into a DD to the point where his ship model was 90 degrees perpendicular to the water. If I wasn't laughing so hard I'd have taken a pic :(

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

wdarkk posted:

Really I'd make your decision based on what you want to do with your premium. I got the Atago because I figured I'd want to retrain Japanese captains.

Also supposedly the Des Moines is awful in some unspecified way that gives it a truly atrocious win ratio.
It's even worse than WARBEASTY.

The prevailing theory seems to be that at tier 10 alpha>dpm.
I think its really hard to take full advantage of that sub 6 second reload. The Zao fires off her 12 glorious, super accurate 8 inchers then can spend 12 seconds maneuvering and checking the situation before it has to fire again. Des Moines almost has to stay zoomed in and on target in order to utilize its higher theoretical dpm. I love the Cleveland, but the high ROF ships can be tough to use without tunneling and I imagine its even worse at tier X.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TSBX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQNAY_KmA
Those are murmansks, and the guns the Atlanta has are 127mm, the same as your Nicholas. You can pen the poo poo out of Murmansks. You can pen any cruiser in the game, actually. Just need to be close and have a flat angle. Or plunging fire, but you probably won't get citadels that way.

Just had a game where our minekaze TK'd our CV, then I killed the minekaze.

Ended up brawling down a ton of ships and pulling us to a draw.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

James Garfield posted:

There are many battleships that take negligible to zero damage from cruiser AP. If you take out the HE option cruisers are just useless against battleships. I don't think that could possibly make the game more fun, unless you give cruisers enough penetration to citadel hit battleships (which certainly won't happen, and if it did people in this thread would be complaining about dying to citadel hits from overpowered cruiser AP).
You probably weren't playing boats at the time, but they already tried a similar configuration in the first few weeks of CBT. It was not worth playing.

And incidentally, where you hit the enemy ship does matter even with HE. It's just less of a difference.

You could half the base damage of HE and cruisers would still do enough damage to kill a BB, just with more risk of actually dying too. And of course battleships wouldn't be the primary target for every cruiser anymore, they might instead focus their attention on DD/CR where they are more effective. Just because cruisers aren't the 3rd hard counter to a BB doesn't make them useless.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Botes are fun! Started yesterday, almost completely done with the St. Louis, which is nice because it's gotten boring. S. Carolina is amusing but I am not fond of the RNG for the main batteries compared to the smaller caliber guns, OTOH I like being able to look around between reloads as opposed . Jap ships are fragile but I'll keep trying at them, just picked up the Tenryu tonight, dropped an omaha with a torpedo after she shot me to death on the first time out. Also, I suck at DD.

How does experience work? Does it just suck at lower tiers because of the lower damage output? I've dropped 4 ships in a round and didn't break 350 xp for it.

What's up with the separation of PVP and PVE stats? idgi

I see that WoWP and WoT share gold. Will doubloons ever be shared as well? I've still got some from WoT and WT has better tanks. (I never touched WoWP so maybe that had different gold in the beginning?)

This low teir poo poo is easy as gently caress, I haven't even gotten mad at a dumb player yet.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I think someone got a little too impressed with their Montana. They decided to try going broadside to my NC at les than 10km's. 5 Citadels later, no Montana.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

DiHK posted:

Botes are fun! Started yesterday, almost completely done with the St. Louis, which is nice because it's gotten boring. S. Carolina is amusing but I am not fond of the RNG for the main batteries compared to the smaller caliber guns, OTOH I like being able to look around between reloads as opposed . Jap ships are fragile but I'll keep trying at them, just picked up the Tenryu tonight, dropped an omaha with a torpedo after she shot me to death on the first time out. Also, I suck at DD.

How does experience work? Does it just suck at lower tiers because of the lower damage output? I've dropped 4 ships in a round and didn't break 350 xp for it.

What's up with the separation of PVP and PVE stats? idgi

I see that WoWP and WoT share gold. Will doubloons ever be shared as well? I've still got some from WoT and WT has better tanks. (I never touched WoWP so maybe that had different gold in the beginning?)

This low teir poo poo is easy as gently caress, I haven't even gotten mad at a dumb player yet.
Make sure you are set to Random Battle (against real players) instead of Co-op (against bots with :Name:) to the right of the Battle button. Co-op gives way less xp plus total damage is more important than killing blows.

I think doubloons are supposed to be shared eventually. They have not talked about it in a while.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

If you are just starting and have some cash, get some of the best premium ships. The Warspite, Atlanta and Murmansk are just super cash and exp earners. They will all teach you how to play to the strengths of the relative class;

Warspite, GET IN CLOSE AND gently caress poo poo UP. :black101: Seriously, this thing utterly owns, it turns on a sixpence, has a massive hit point pool and the secondaries are really good. It can also shot planes.

Atlanta, maneuver and rain fiery HE death :supaburn: Also shot all the planes.

Murmansk, out range everything that thinks you will be an easy kill and just gently caress their day up, and if they get close just torp them. :ussr: Very, very good for making both exp and creds.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Not a double. My best Atago game so far. I'll be damned if I can't just stop getting shot first all the time, though.
My Kagero is up and running, and I'm already loving it. The turret traverse is only a little slower than the Fubuki, with all the power still packed inside. I'm not liking the quad tubes, though, the torps feel a bit too spaced out. Hopefully the long lances will change my mind soon. I'm also loving the utterly absurd concealment range, I'm not getting spotted until below 6km in this thing. It feels really, really good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Yeah, DD concealment is just great. It's insane when I play games with 2-4 DDs and almost never get spotted.

I sank the Omaha and an Wyoming early on, and while being the only ship left I sank one WY, one NY, and the Bogue.

Meanwhile in the BB tree I'm on the Kawachi, which. . . well, I'm sure you all know. Let's just say I'm gonna stick to DDs until I rack up free points.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Earned my way into the hallowed halls of Carriers. However I am terrible at carriers. My torpedo bombers barely ever hit anything, even when I set the release point fairly well. Also I love how a single fighter squad from a tier above me can melt 2 fighter squadrons with ease.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Also I love how a single fighter squad from a tier above me can melt 2 fighter squadrons with ease.

...They can't. At least not stock. All fighters from tiers 4-6(with the exception of the Independence's upgraded ones) do the exact same damage - the only things that change are survivability, which doesn't affect how fast he kills you, and speed. What you might be running into is someone with all relevant fighter modules and skills. Now, if you want to see planes melt, try running into a tier 7+ with upgraded fighters against anything lower. Damage fighters do roughly triples at that point, so THEN your squads literally melt. Admittedly there's RNG involved too, so it might have just been it making GBS threads all over you too.

The upcoming patch is putting fighter damage on a gradual curve though, hopefully fixing that issue.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Tahirovic posted:

You could half the base damage of HE and cruisers would still do enough damage to kill a BB, just with more risk of actually dying too. And of course battleships wouldn't be the primary target for every cruiser anymore, they might instead focus their attention on DD/CR where they are more effective. Just because cruisers aren't the 3rd hard counter to a BB doesn't make them useless.

That's pretty hyperbolic. A cruiser already won't win 1v1 against an equal tier battleship (outside low tiers and a few outlying cases) unless the battleship is playing poorly or exceptionally unlucky. Competent players in cruisers already don't prioritize full health battleships.
If you're also lowering the fire chance and/or fire damage, that makes cruisers laughably weak against battleships, enough so that a competent player in a strong battleship could be winning 1v3 against same tier cruisers. If you aren't lowering the fire chance, people in this thread would still be complaining about HE fires.
It also makes cruisers terrible against destroyers.

If you're consistently dying 1v1 to equal tier cruisers in your battleships, try downloading the mod that adds training battles and shooting at AI cruisers with AP (you can set them to drive around and not fire). You probably aren't aiming correctly to hit the citadel.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks to some dumbass french intentionaly coliding with me and insulting everyone in chat, I now enjoy a sexy pink nickname.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

grrarg posted:

Make sure you are set to Random Battle instead of Co-op to the right of the Battle button.

:aaaaa:

I never even looked twice at that button.

That's embarrassing, considering all the in game clues.

Are the beta premiums the same it in terms of the xp and $ bonuses?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

That's pretty hyperbolic. A cruiser already won't win 1v1 against an equal tier battleship (outside low tiers and a few outlying cases) unless the battleship is playing poorly or exceptionally unlucky.

Except it will, every time? A well driven cruiser at all of tier 4, 5 and 6 will always beat a battleship with an equally skilled driver 1v1, it's just not a contest. The only way a battleship wins is is the cruiser makes a mistake, the battleship lands a complete fluke one shot kill, or another ship comes to help. They'll even do it to a battleship a tier up as well.

James Garfield posted:

If you're consistently dying 1v1 to equal tier cruisers in your battleships, try downloading the mod that adds training battles and shooting at AI cruisers with AP (you can set them to drive around and not fire). You probably aren't aiming correctly to hit the citadel.

And that remains pure fancy, because there is no way to "aim at citadels" with battleship guns shooting at any of the chief perpetrator cruisers at the range they shred you from, which is 10-12km, or a bit further for the Cleveland. All you can do is aim to hit the ship at all, and even that is an extremely low percentage shot, no matter how good at predictive aiming you are. The Cleveland of course makes up for not being able to jink around like a Destroyer by having ridiculously small citadel zones.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 22, 2015

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

Except it will, every time? A well driven cruiser at all of tier 4, 5 and 6 will always beat a battleship with an equally skilled driver 1v1, it's just not a contest. The only way a battleship wins is is the cruiser makes a mistake, the battleship lands a complete fluke one shot kill, or another ship comes to help. They'll even do it to a battleship a tier up as well.

:allears:

Yeah, not really true at all.

Maybe I could accept this on Ocean map but any map where a Warspite or New Mexico can close the range on a cruiser same tier is going to end up badly for the cruiser. I actively go hunting Clevelands in my Warspite, it's not been a one off where I have taken 2 down at the same time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

Maybe I could accept this on Ocean map but any map where a Warspite or New Mexico can close the range on a cruiser same tier is going to end up badly for the cruiser.

Yeah that's cool, show me any skilled cruiser driver who actually lets you close the range, considering whether or not you can get close is entirely their decision.

Spend all your time making your battleship hide behind islands in a doomed attempt to get close to cruisers and your team is going to get stomped all around you, because you were being utterly useless in a ship that should have been somewhere else.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 22, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Burt posted:

If you are just starting and have some cash, get some of the best premium ships. The Warspite, Atlanta and Murmansk are just super cash and exp earners. They will all teach you how to play to the strengths of the relative class;

Is the Warspite on sale anywhere?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
It seems a lot has changed since cbt. What tier do cruisers get the supercharged aa ability?

Also, got the Atago. It is a fun ship. My second game with it happened to have three other Atago drivers. We had this ad hoc squad of four and shredded three BBs by focusing fire. Teamwork with randoms can be fun.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

Is the Warspite on sale anywhere?

Don't think so they removed it from the store after the last spot light.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

It seems a lot has changed since cbt. What tier do cruisers get the supercharged aa ability?

When they get DP guns, which is tier 6

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, got the Atago. It is a fun ship. My second game with it happened to have three other Atago drivers. We had this ad hoc squad of four and shredded three BBs by focusing fire. Teamwork with randoms can be fun.

I think T6 but you have a choice of Hydroacoustic search or the AA skill. Click on the skill in port to switch from one to the other.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Ok thank you. I haven't seen a real benefit to the hydro acoustic skill. Does it work better on particular ships?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

NTRabbit posted:

And that remains pure fancy, because there is no way to "aim at citadels" with battleship guns shooting at any of the chief perpetrator cruisers at the range they shred you from, which is 10-12km, or a bit further for the Cleveland. All you can do is aim to hit the ship at all, and even that is an extremely low percentage shot, no matter how good at predictive aiming you are. The Cleveland of course makes up for not being able to jink around like a Destroyer by having ridiculously small citadel zones.
Fair enough, although I'm not getting anywhere near an Amagi or NC in my Mogami, nor am I going to approach an Iowa in my Ibuki. Those 16 inchers can citadel you from a wide variety of angles.

Ammo needs to be changed imo. I have one use for AP as an IJN cruiser - citadeling bad equal/lower tier cruisers who show me their flat sides. For everything else, I'm just going to churn out HE spam.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

Ok thank you. I haven't seen a real benefit to the hydro acoustic skill. Does it work better on particular ships?

Hydro acoustic search isn't bad, but it isn't good either. Your best bet isn't to sail into a smoke cloud, but just stay away from it. And your Catapult fighter does a good job of spotting torpedoes for you.

It would be cool of they have Hydro Acoustic as a passive to USN DDs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cheese posted:

Fair enough, although I'm not getting anywhere near an Amagi or NC in my Mogami, nor am I going to approach an Iowa in my Ibuki. Those 16 inchers can citadel you from a wide variety of angles.

Ammo needs to be changed imo. I have one use for AP as an IJN cruiser - citadeling bad equal/lower tier cruisers who show me their flat sides. For everything else, I'm just going to churn out HE spam.

The Iowa has been proven to have bugged armour that makes it it extremely resilient against HE damage and fires, it's harder to kill than a Montana, so it's not really a good example

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
When are they putting in the Royal Navy and the Kriegsmarine? I've sort of have been waiting for this before picking this up.

I mean, it's totally weird to me that the Royal Navy, at least, wasn't included at launch. And the German navy has a shorter, but just as salient maritime tradition.

Why you would prioritize the Soviet Navy in an "historic" naval game is beyond me. It's like wargaming is made up of a bunch of crazy drunken Russians...

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Burt posted:

:allears:

Yeah, not really true at all.

Maybe I could accept this on Ocean map but any map where a Warspite or New Mexico can close the range on a cruiser same tier is going to end up badly for the cruiser. I actively go hunting Clevelands in my Warspite, it's not been a one off where I have taken 2 down at the same time.

the 1v1 hypothetical for equally skilled BB v CA for all the tiers I've played at for me results in a stalemate favouring the CA barring incredibly unlikely citadels from going through the bow or stern while the CA jukes. A good player isn't going to show a BB their broadside while loaded and if they get whittled down by non-penning AP hits or HE running away is almost always an option.

e: I mean, I got citadeled through the front of my kongo by a NC once, so I'm sure the bigger calibres at high tiers can be game changes, but letting the omaha and cleaveland run roughshod over t3-6 is pretty stupid

yaay fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 22, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I, for one, can't wait for the Soviet Navy because I want to see how much dumb bullshit they pull out to fill it out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The Iowa has been proven to have bugged armour that makes it it extremely resilient against HE damage and fires, it's harder to kill than a Montana, so it's not really a good example
Bugged armor on not, it can penetrate my Ibuki from a lot of different angles and one good volley is more than enough to wreck me. Either way, I don't really enjoy the way HE/AP works right now. I'll probably take a break til 4.1 either way - 3 of my 4 Ibuki games this morning had huge carrier mismatches and were total one sided affairs.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I, for one, can't wait for the Soviet Navy because I want to see how much dumb bullshit they pull out to fill it out.

donut shiiiip

upgrade slot will let you attach metal fins so that when you fire the cannons off to the side it turns into a floating beyblade

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
You know it's not your day when you're having a great game and it comes to an end because you get detonated by someone's secondary while you're hidden by smoke.... a CA secondary... seriously gently caress this poo poo.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

yaay posted:

donut shiiiip

upgrade slot will let you attach metal fins so that when you fire the cannons off to the side it turns into a floating beyblade

Make it a Premium and it can fly like a ufo. Russian balance for balance sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Michi88 posted:

Make it a Premium and it can fly like a ufo. Russian balance for balance sake.

you sound like you're being facetious, instead of predicting a thing that is almost guaranteed to happen