Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LOL, if I harass him for a little bit with a post-it note he'll grab it from me and I have a two second window to take the picture. He loves shredding napkins but doesn't care as much about thicker paper, because birds I guess :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
My friend found this video that just encompasses how ridiculous tiels are. :derptiel:

Maybe NSFW? Has mating in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfpjAkRyPI

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sorry to hear about Bitey, Crows :(

Maybe a stupid question but how will you go about making stickers? They're pretty cute, as is the Bitey image!

Third bird on this link might look familiar to posters here: http://www.dose.com/animals/17072/17-Birds-Who-Got-What-Was-Comin-to-Them-ab630-2

HEEEEYYYYYYY THAT'S MY GREY rear end in a top hat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Nah cockatiels would flee in terror at the sight of the paper coming towards them (except when they randomly don't)

Ohtori would shred the hell out of it as soon as you offer so Ama's being intact was something I noticed too-maybe he was doing the "wait, you WANT me to have this?? I shall freeze in confusion" thing!
Every cockatiel I've ever owned (so, uh, five?) has gone just like... totally intent when they see paper of about that thickness. They don't shred it up, they just methodically punch holes in it. I can't have Judah out when I'm reading a book because he will devote every cell in his dumb little peanut-sized brain to getting down and chewing the pages. No interest in softer paper and most of them not in shreddable actually-for-bird toys (Judah is the exception), they just like the thickness of regular old paper to be some sort of weird avian hole punch.

ApathyGirl posted:

HEEEEYYYYYYY THAT'S MY GREY rear end in a top hat.
notgonnasayitnotgonnasayit :downsrim:

EDIT

I missed that video of the post-coital whistle. That is just... cockatiel.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have noticed something odd about Simon and Pazuzu. (I haven't been able to check Gunter, since she is, well, Gunter) Anyway, right above their tail feathers, nestled under the feathers on their back, we have noticed that they both have a single, tiny white feather. It is in the same spot on both of them. What is that? Is it a manufacturer's tag? Does anyone else have birds with itty bitty white feathers?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sounds like the preening gland/oil gland/uropygial gland wick!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That is exactly what it is. That is, pretty cool actually.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

jadebullet posted:

Is it a manufacturer's tag? Does anyone else have birds with itty bitty white feathers?

LOL I had an image of birbs with little tags on them with the " Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" like on the matresses...

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Oscar seems to have learned to mimic daisy's chirp. This has sparked some conversations between the two

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:3: he's a cute little drummer

I wish my financial situation was better so I could seriously look into getting a bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sounds like the preening gland/oil gland/uropygial gland wick!
When Judah is grooming so hard I can see his, I always yell "YOUR PREEN GLAND IS SHOWING" like an offended matron :allears:

anotherblownsave posted:

Oscar seems to have learned to mimic daisy's chirp. This has sparked some conversations between the two
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO (please)

That cockatoo has a surprisingly good sense of rhythm :3:

Pet bird is good. In additional news, hell has frozen over, water is now dry.

(Though, really, Judah has won the Good Pet of the Day award because at least HE didn't bring in a half-dead vole and leave it at my feet as I was peeing, like the rear end in a top hat cat)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Cockatoos in general seem very interested in percussion. Max the moluccan likes to tap on hollow objects with his feet or beak to make noise. I think the only species that uses drumming for a practical purpose is the black palm cockatoo, though.

From a video of two green cheek conures getting bobbed up and down while shouting HEY BABY in their squeaky little voices.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Pet bird is good. In additional news, hell has frozen over, water is now dry.

(Though, really, Judah has won the Good Pet of the Day award because at least HE didn't bring in a half-dead vole and leave it at my feet as I was peeing, like the rear end in a top hat cat)

I dunno my idiots are pretty well-behaved. Maybe because they spend most of the day trolling each other so there's no energy left to give the Foodbringer poo poo?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://youtu.be/oqdI4QdAXcs

Gf got her hair did by two caiques today. Also, we saw a hawkhead in Omar's! Was it Ivan? We'll never know!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mizuti posted:

Poor Max is sick. The culprit was probably mold, which was found growing in the room's air conditioner. (It got thrown out and replaced immediately.) Hope he can get it out of his system.

Apparently this turned out to be anxiety due to construction vehicles outside his window.

birds.txt

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Tendai posted:

When Judah is grooming so hard I can see his, I always yell "YOUR PREEN GLAND IS SHOWING" like an offended matron :allears:

Hahaha, I love this!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I dunno my idiots are pretty well-behaved. Maybe because they spend most of the day trolling each other so there's no energy left to give the Foodbringer poo poo?
Judah is usually well-behaved. It's more, is he well-behaved in comparison to my cat, who is 99% idiot and 1% rodent-hunting rainman. He wins by default on the days she brings in dead things or when she has ~*piss problems*~. She wins on the days when if I try to take a nap (or if the world, you know, exists) he just shrieks his dumb potato head off and will not be silenced. It's a very complex power balance in this house.

If there were reputable cockatiel places near me and if I wasn't somewhat concerned about only-bird-for-a-decade Judah losing his poo poo at SOMEONE ELSE being brought in I would be tempted to get a second taterbirb for him to chatter to when I have a job, etc.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

CrazyLittle posted:

Apparently this turned out to be anxiety due to construction vehicles outside his window.

birds.txt

And according to his owner, the symptoms were identical to those he had one time when he swallowed metal and needed emergency treatment!

Stress over vibrations, strange sights, and loud noises some distance outside window = having a large indigestible lump inside stomach

It's frustrating how delicate birds can be. Thankfully, at least the construction is done, and Max fans chipped in funds to take care of the $1,000+ vet exam bills.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Mizuti posted:

And according to his owner, the symptoms were identical to those he had one time when he swallowed metal and needed emergency treatment!

Stress over vibrations, strange sights, and loud noises some distance outside window = having a large indigestible lump inside stomach

It's frustrating how delicate birds can be. Thankfully, at least the construction is done, and Max fans chipped in funds to take care of the $1,000+ vet exam bills.

Jesus Christ. :stare: Glad it all worked out in the end.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Keep yer fingers away from my playpen!

note that she doesn't actually bite my fingers, it's a game (even if she "hits" she doesn't clamp down, and calms down and steps up immediately if I ask :3: )

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Gf got her hair did by two caiques today. Also, we saw a hawkhead in Omar's! Was it Ivan? We'll never know!

This is hilarious to watch.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I love wading through this thread from time to time, so many adorable and ridiculous birds. You know what it didn't have enough of though? Bigass goddamn cuddle monsters/digit removers! Thus, I introduce my own bitey whitey, Mookie:

He's 19 years old, acts like a grandpa, croons along to Sinatra, bumps his beak against my nose at every opportunity, and practically demands that I rub his foot through the bars of his cage. All I knew about him when I got him from Omar's was that he was given to the shop after age and illness made caring for him too difficult for his original owner, he was a plucker, and was skinny at 650g. Time, determination, and his own (generally) sweet disposition have helped him settle in well over the last year and a half, and has only cost me 8 stitches so far.

Favorite activities center around chilling and scritches, unless there's a game of tug-of-war to be had, or there's children to cuddle:

Favorite foods include french fries, grapes, bananas, my bloody digits, wooden furniture, whatever coffee cup I happen to be holding, and the odd hot wing. And hemp seeds during mating season. Lots and lots of hemp.

People have asked me if I want to get him a friend, since I seem to be the Cockatoo Whisperer.

Nah.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Suntan Boy posted:

I love wading through this thread from time to time, so many adorable and ridiculous birds. You know what it didn't have enough of though? Bigass goddamn cuddle monsters/digit removers! Thus, I introduce my own bitey whitey, Mookie:

He's 19 years old, acts like a grandpa, croons along to Sinatra, bumps his beak against my nose at every opportunity, and practically demands that I rub his foot through the bars of his cage. All I knew about him when I got him from Omar's was that he was given to the shop after age and illness made caring for him too difficult for his original owner, he was a plucker, and was skinny at 650g. Time, determination, and his own (generally) sweet disposition have helped him settle in well over the last year and a half, and has only cost me 8 stitches so far.

Favorite activities center around chilling and scritches, unless there's a game of tug-of-war to be had, or there's children to cuddle:

Favorite foods include french fries, grapes, bananas, my bloody digits, wooden furniture, whatever coffee cup I happen to be holding, and the odd hot wing. And hemp seeds during mating season. Lots and lots of hemp.

People have asked me if I want to get him a friend, since I seem to be the Cockatoo Whisperer.

Nah.

nice

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

Nah.

How adorable :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Super cute!

Also fortunately that wasn't Ivan at the store! I get updates from his new owner when I ask and he's so goddamn spoiled now it's hard to imagine him anywhere else.

Other bird friends? Sure, he's got the company of at least one macaw and a grey that declares "what a BRAT" periodically. That's not including anyone who may be boarded/training currently at the place. Huge house to fly around in? Sure, they seem to get full reign of it. I have no doubt Ivan has claimed the stairs as his own and guards it against whatever toes he feels are offensive that day. Toys? All the toys he could ask for in his own cage and perch that we gave to them. Also apparently he gets to tear up whatever poor flowers they offer him from their garden, which is his favorite thing. Outdoor time? Massive check, he was granted his own loving aviary in the backyard (of which there are four) while he was getting acclimated. He gets daily time in the sun and the shade. Cuddles? Absolutely. In fact pretty much all of the pictures I get of him are of cuddles.

AND HERE'S PROOF! Thanks for reminding me to send him some more toys.

I miss him dearly and live vicariously through you folks and your birbs, but it brings me great comfort to know that my hard work and pain paid off when it came to finding him a new home.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 23, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chaosfeather posted:

AND HERE'S PROOF! Thanks for reminding me to send him some more toys.

I miss him dearly and live vicariously through you folks and your birbs, but it brings me great comfort to know that my hard work and pain paid off when it came to finding him a new home.
Jeez that is such a gorgeous parrot species. The color combination looks like it can't quite be real. He looks like he's getting a lot of love and having a good time at his new home :3:

EDIT whoops forgot the reason I originally opened this thread, too distracted by handsome birds. I found the only acceptable sort of Facebook spam:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 23, 2015

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

That is quite a happy looking birb :) So pretty!!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Gotcha, the cockatoo in that video where he runs around yelling nonsense, has a lot to say. This time, about the people of Walmart. If he got any more excited I think he would've exploded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PwGj_EvWM

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kenshin posted:

Keep yer fingers away from my playpen!

note that she doesn't actually bite my fingers, it's a game (even if she "hits" she doesn't clamp down, and calms down and steps up immediately if I ask :3: )

:3: Too cute for words

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Gotcha, the cockatoo in that video where he runs around yelling nonsense, has a lot to say. This time, about the people of Walmart. If he got any more excited I think he would've exploded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PwGj_EvWM

I can't understand what 'toos are saying at all when they're riled up. If they're saying something simple like "hi" they sound clear, but other than that I just hear vague squeaky sort-of words. Is it something you develop an ear for like conures?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

No, they're just attempting to sound like they're in a conversation. It's so good

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Eejit posted:

No, they're just attempting to sound like they're in a conversation. It's so good

That is amazing! And makes me feel better about my bird comprehension abilities. :)

I forgot I was going to share these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Pdv2KqNnM
The most sweetest, cuddliest african grey I've ever seen. The dude that runs the channel is cool too. Very passionate about education and taking care of birb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cefv2Cw5APs
Birds playing outside always makes me anxious, but apparently this buddy's been trained to fly safely and come when called. I love the dramatic music in this one haha.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
AAAA THANK, hello birbfriends.

here is a video about the "honey guide" bird, the massai use to find honeycombs. the humans call the birb & ask for honey. the birb takes them to a honeycomb. the humans get out some combs, leaving one for the birb.

the humans & birbs communicate with special whistles & calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsdPSkfkGw

do any of you use your birbs as tools? scouts or messengers or whatnot?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

froward posted:

do any of you use your birbs as tools? scouts or messengers or whatnot?

Amadeus was a spiderhunter in a past life, any time he sees movement on a wall or ceiling he gets very still, cocks an eye in its direction, and trills a bit. After I take care of the problem he goes back to normal birb activity. Amadeus: keeping my apartments spider free since 2010. :toot:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I bet if you didn't take care of it, he'd go into attack mode.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus was a spiderhunter in a past life, any time he sees movement on a wall or ceiling he gets very still, cocks an eye in its direction, and trills a bit. After I take care of the problem he goes back to normal birb activity. Amadeus: keeping my apartments spider free since 2010. :toot:

You'd think as birds, they'd have some sort of predatory instinct even though they're not flycatchers or something. Ritz does the same thing, we always know if there's a bug on the ceiling or wall.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I'm trying so hard to get a video of daisy and Oscar both speaking 'tiel but it happens so spontaneously, and they stop every time I aim the phone at them

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, I was thinking about my garden for next year. At the moment, I have a small herb garden, and will be branching out into veggies if all goes well.

Are there any herbs I should not give my future little birb friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm getting promoted, and I'm getting closer to having all of my living situation issues fixed (I live on a boat, it's complicated, yada yada) and I think by the time october hits I might be in a position where my reasons to get a bird outweigh the reasons it'd be unwise to. I'm so excited.

Plus, Connie's person is going to be travelling a bunch in September, doing military teaching stuff, so I'll get to hang with her a bunch. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get some video footage of her being an absolutely incredible baby bird.