Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've never played Daggerfall but I think I recall some people saying you can change the control scheme so it's more Morrowind-esque?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah, all the key controls are rebindable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Assuming you ever make it to the third monster I hope you didn't gently caress up your characters background choices.

Haha, yes. PROTIP: try to get an ebony dagger in the character bio. If you don't get one, then do not open the door to the first sideroom, because inside is an imp immune to all "normal" weapons. That said IIRC you can kill it with your bare hands. You'd better be quite good at hand to hand if you want this approach to succeed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mister Adequate posted:

I've never played Daggerfall but I think I recall some people saying you can change the control scheme so it's more Morrowind-esque?

There are considerably more keys required than in Morrowind, but many of those extra keys are either redundant or useless (All the different view/interact modes except steal and grab, for example. Since I was playing a mage and not a thief, I just left it in Grab mode and that makes Activate work properly with everything). Float up and Float down are essential, because you can't fly or swim up or down by looking and going forward, choosing a spell to cast opens a menu and casts it automatically wheny you select it, but there's also a recast button for quick offensive spells (or for training magic in an inn) and a magic item button, crouch and sneak are different keys, time/date and rest are different keys, there are two different map keys, and each character/inventory menu is a different key (although you can get to most of them from the main character menu).

The extra keys take a while to get used to, but they're still very workable. But except for the hold mouse button, swipe weapon to attack, the rest of the basics, forward/backward/slide left/slide right, Activate, Jump, Run, and Draw weapon are enough to make it feel very familiar to Morrowind players. Just remember that you have to switch to View mode in Mouse Controls. Do this before trying to remap the rest of your keys or it won't work right.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 22, 2015

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Haha, yes. PROTIP: try to get an ebony dagger in the character bio. If you don't get one, then do not open the door to the first sideroom, because inside is an imp immune to all "normal" weapons. That said IIRC you can kill it with your bare hands. You'd better be quite good at hand to hand if you want this approach to succeed.

You can get by with the silver flail/staff too I think. But unless you're doing blunt why would you ever not take the dagger. Full disclosure I have started more than 800000 games of daggerfall and could probably talk someone through the first dungeon more easily than I could give directions to my house. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's one of those games, is it?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I don't know what to tell you, the character creation process is top loving tier.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

It is and it isn't. I like that it generates rich character backstories based on the answers to the questions, but at the same time, your actual link to the Emperor is tenuous at best, and if King Lysandus "as a close a friend as you are", what does that say about Lysandus?

Also, pro-tip: Save a lot. Like all the time. Like every time you go somewhere new and every time you beat an enemy. Enemy levels and loot levels are not tied to your level, and in the first dungeon, even if you take down the rat and the bat and the imp, that thief might outclass you with some nice silver or elven weapon and you've got no armor. Or you might get very lucky and get one really nice piece in the first loot pile, who knows.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's not true, enemies in Daggerfall are absolutely leveled. The leveling is just a lot less forgiving than Morrowind or, heaven forbid, Oblivion. There are a few dungeons in Daggerfall with set enemies (like the first one) but most are delightfully random and leveled.

At lower levels, you'll hear a vampire scream and basically crap your pants. Is it a regular vampire (still a formidable foe) or a vampire ancient (which will slap the poo poo out of you with its limp wristed flicking and kill you before you know it as long as it isn't stuck in a wall). Later on, you'll stop paying attention to it because vampires become a lot more common and aren't that bad.

The Succubus is probably the best example. You are extremely unlikely to encounter a succubus at a low level but as you increase in levels they become a lot more common.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

My one big problem with Daggerfall are those god forsaken dungeons. Although it probably has the best maps in the series with its 3-d collision less flying, I still get lost every time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Just Perseus Theseus it. Have some unless baubles that you drop behind you as you walk. If you go the wrong way, pick up a couple close to the main path so you don't get sidetracked. You can still get lost (especially in some of the 3D "tower" components) but it really helps.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Daggerfall uses themed sets, so a random monster in a dungeon is going to be replaced by stronger variants as you go up levels, but still the same theme. So a "daedra" enemy spawn point can give you an imp at low level, but then if you revisit the dungeon after leveling up a bit you can meet at the same place a daedroth, seducer, etc.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of Daggerfall, Hoooly poo poo is it broken. For the first time I managed to make it out of the starting dungeon and not get bored, and I eventually got a quest to go and kill some monster in a dungeon. I clear out the dungeon, and no sign of it, with the only unexplored area being a hole in the floor of the very first room. Turns out there's three slaughterfish in it, and they crowd around under my feet so I can't actually get low enough to attack them! The few times I manage to dodge past them to put them within attacking range if I try to go back up for air I get stuck in their collision box and can't move. Amazing.

EDIT: Just managed to kill the slaughterfish... And all the doors are magically locked and the wraith I saw down there is nowhere to be seen.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 22, 2015

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

armoredgorilla posted:

Nah just go here and download daggerfallsetup.exe

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

Woah thanks man! It works right out the box and some of the audio bugs I remember are fixed. Sky Shadowing you should put that link in the OP. Also check out this pimp sweater

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TresTristesTigres posted:

Woah thanks man! It works right out the box and some of the audio bugs I remember are fixed. Sky Shadowing you should put that link in the OP. Also check out this pimp sweater

did your dagoth knit you that for christmas

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Daggerfall has an unprecedented number of Mr. Rogers sweaters for an RPG

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The loss of ugly sweaters and formal brasseries was the first sign the series was going downhill.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Woah thanks man! It works right out the box and some of the audio bugs I remember are fixed. Sky Shadowing you should put that link in the OP.

Good idea, added it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Had a Morrowind moment last night with some quests I'd never gotten around to doing, got into them and next thing I know it was the wee hours of the morning. Haven't done that in ten years.

Also had a wonderful derp moment. My current MW character is a Dunmer Bard Tribunal Temple Disciple and never went back to Caius after he said "go get some experience". Since the Ghost Gate quests take you into the Red Mountain area, an area I tended to avoid at least until Kogoruhn in the Main Quest, I decided to kill and soul trap all the Dagoths, grabbed both Sunder and Keening and said "gently caress the prophecy", went to kill Dagoth Ur with my Alchemy-master Bard at level 21, quick-keyed Sunder and Keening to 1 and 2 in place of my normal weapons and made short work of the Akulakhan by drinking enough Fortify and Restore Health potions before equipping them, then bouncing back and forth between them fast enough to beat the Mortal Wound effect, then destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan. Then I actually watched the earthquake shake it apart, something I've never done before, and got Azura's ring as I was walking out of the hall. Pleased with myself, I was walking back down to the Ghost Gate to return the Crosier of St. Llothis when I was set upon by a Daedroth, and I hit 1 for my primary weapon, took one swing and barely had time to realize what I'd done when I died, triumphant Nerevarine on top of the Red Mountain.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

Had a Morrowind moment last night with some quests I'd never gotten around to doing, got into them and next thing I know it was the wee hours of the morning. Haven't done that in ten years.

Also had a wonderful derp moment. My current MW character is a Dunmer Bard Tribunal Temple Disciple and never went back to Caius after he said "go get some experience". Since the Ghost Gate quests take you into the Red Mountain area, an area I tended to avoid at least until Kogoruhn in the Main Quest, I decided to kill and soul trap all the Dagoths, grabbed both Sunder and Keening and said "gently caress the prophecy", went to kill Dagoth Ur with my Alchemy-master Bard at level 21, quick-keyed Sunder and Keening to 1 and 2 in place of my normal weapons and made short work of the Akulakhan by drinking enough Fortify and Restore Health potions before equipping them, then bouncing back and forth between them fast enough to beat the Mortal Wound effect, then destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan. Then I actually watched the earthquake shake it apart, something I've never done before, and got Azura's ring as I was walking out of the hall. Pleased with myself, I was walking back down to the Ghost Gate to return the Crosier of St. Llothis when I was set upon by a Daedroth, and I hit 1 for my primary weapon, took one swing and barely had time to realize what I'd done when I died, triumphant Nerevarine on top of the Red Mountain.

The Aristrocrats!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think I understood most of those words.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Checks out

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

kazr posted:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

kazr posted:

This sermon is untrue.

The ending of the world is ALMSIVI.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, :frogsiren: Beth games are on GOG now :frogsiren: and this includes Battlespire, Redguard, and Morrowind. Arena and Daggerfall are freebies if you buy any Beth game (they also offer the classic Fallout series and Doom+Quake).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 26, 2015

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Huh. I've always wanted to play Redguard but I hear it's an absolute bitch to get running on a current OS, and that the gameplay is generally janky as hell.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Huh. I've always wanted to play Redguard but I hear it's an absolute bitch to get running on a current OS, and that the gameplay is generally janky as hell.
I've just tried it for half an hour: the GoG version has everything already set up and runs fine (aside for a few slight slowdowns) on my Win7, but it does have tank controls, although Cyrus moves pretty quickly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

never went back to Caius after he said "go get some experience".

Morrowind came with my old GeForce FX 5200. I had never heard of the series up to that point. I did the same thing pretty much, but knowing nothing of how the game worked really, I wandered around and did whatever I wanted. I used the editor to craft a suit of armor and a bunch of other stuff, I reached level 50 something somehow. A glitch occurred where if I casted a levitate spell it lasted indefinitely, so I floated in over the big wall around the mountain and went right to the last boss, whom even with my illegitimate gear and high level, could do nothing with. I managed to get him down into the lava, and though I could fly he still killed me, and I was doing almost no damage. I actually never played through it again or fully until a few years ago

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
MOTHERFUCKING YES FINALLY.

Will update OP ASAP after work.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The dialogue options with the final boss of Battlespire sure are something.

Player posted:

How do you like them apples?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's been so long since I played Redguard. I remember I got stuck (though it may just have been life getting in the way) around the Sload necromancer. I was just thinking about that the other day and, boom. Here it is.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Is Battlespire actually any good?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Well apparently the PC for Battlespire is a snarky wizard so I'm pretty well set on playing it now.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shbobdb posted:

It's been so long since I played Redguard. I remember I got stuck (though it may just have been life getting in the way) around the Sload necromancer. I was just thinking about that the other day and, boom. Here it is.

CHIM

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So playing battlespire, I'm about 90% sure that bethesda mixed up the Altmer and Dunmer skill bonuses, also I've died twice, once to falling through a pixel into the floor, and another time because I fell in the lava. The scamps are fully voiced and you can talk to almost any enemy. So far I got a few scamps to join up with me as my invincible army, and another one told me that the keys I was looking for were in a dark NASTY place near its tail. I found an NPC and he told me we should give up and kill ourselves. A+ TES experience so far.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://soundcloud.com/musicbyallinall/nerevar-rising-surf-version

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So playing battlespire, I'm about 90% sure that bethesda mixed up the Altmer and Dunmer skill bonuses, also I've died twice, once to falling through a pixel into the floor, and another time because I fell in the lava. The scamps are fully voiced and you can talk to almost any enemy. So far I got a few scamps to join up with me as my invincible army, and another one told me that the keys I was looking for were in a dark NASTY place near its tail. I found an NPC and he told me we should give up and kill ourselves. A+ TES experience so far.

Welp, gonna play this now

Orv
May 4, 2011

Just great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

:wtc: but meant in the best way.