Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

symbolic posted:

Slayer has good songs, but not really a good album per se. I can only really listen to half of the songs on any given album.

Are you sure you've listened to Show No Mercy because it is a masterpiece and very different from their others imo.

Nordick posted:

I got about halfway through it. A couple times I was like "hey, this part sounds pretty nice I guess" and then promptly forgot I was listening to it.

It's not like I hate Ghost, I quite like their first album actually.
Just now I got really unsure if I've ever listened to the their second because I can't remember a single song from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wooper posted:

Are you sure you've listened to Show No Mercy because it is a masterpiece and very different from their others imo.
Yes, and it's a good thrash debut. Nothing more. They did better with Hell Awaits.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh hey look at that, new Adversarial. No snare fuckery this time either.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I loved CVI but this one left me a little cold outside a handful of songs.

I'm really liking it. But, I also slept on this band until just now so it looks like I've got a few older albums to check out too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

The snare tone was the best part of their debut. Will never understand the bias against loud, ringy snares - they rule.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gamma Nerd posted:

The snare tone was the best part of their debut. Will never understand the bias against loud, ringy snares - they rule.

For me, the snare was so pronounced that it made the album downright irritating to listen to.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

North americans are in for a treat

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good metal in Kansas City? Whoa.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

caiman posted:

Good metal in Kansas CityLexington? Whoa.

If that's Lexington N- or SC I'm going to be massively irritated.

Ed: Goatwhore remain incredibly entertaining and gracious performers :black101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Tengger Cavalry has been busy posting stuff on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/tengger0cavalry about new band members for the past few days, and then some post today about "Tomorrow, a picture and an announcement will be posted". Considering they also updated their cover photo to what they called "Captain American Wolf", I'm guessing they're going to post a full band lineup pic and some US tour dates?? Hope I'm right.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

the yeti posted:

If it was either of those I'd be kinda impressed because they're both pissant specks on the map.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Clit Avoider posted:

I got a chance to listen to this last night, and it kicks rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the yeti posted:

Ed: Goatwhore remain incredibly entertaining and gracious performers :black101:

Going from Kansas City to some obscure Carolina town in a day would be a strange way to close a tour. Although I guess Cult of Luna are playing in California the day after their Chicago date.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So how hard can you ape Running Wild, anyway?

Pretty hard, it turns out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAk-rQh3eHo

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
This is probably old news but I just stumbled onto Mesarthim ( https://mesarthim.bandcamp.com/album/isolate ) and it is some seriously masterful poo poo.

I hesitate to call this "atmospheric black metal" because typically that has a lot of boring connotations to me, but the way this guy uses melody and airy synths keeps the songs moving and you just get sucked into a vortex. There's very little shoe-gazing and it's equally depressing, uplifting and beautiful. In some cases there's a very 80's synth vibe like on Declaration - I picture it as The Birthday Massacre do black metal for 5 minutes. Whereas other tracks like the opener Osteopenia or Interstellar are probably more what you'd think of as far as "atmospheric black metal" with rolling riffs & synths driving the song over the course of nearly 12 minutes and somehow never becoming boring.

The album is only $1, and they were giving it away for free before they reached their free download limit on bandcamp. I gave them $10 because this is loving fantastic.

I also highly recommend subscribing to the "Atmospheric Black Metal Albums" dude on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?AtmsphericBlackMetal). Half of the poo poo is super boring to me ( 5+ minutes of the wind and the occasional string being plucked ) but I've found some real gems in there - like the aforementioned Mesarthim, and he'll post stuff like Caladan Brood, Gallowbraid, Drudkh and other bands I wouldn't classify as "atmospheric black metal".

[edit] Actually, the more I listen to this album I get a real "Drudkh with 80's synths" vibe. It's more complex than that but it's very present on songs like Abyss that seems to also use a Theremin ( or a reasonable facsimile anyway ).

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 20, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nordick posted:

So how hard can you ape Running Wild, anyway?

Pretty hard, it turns out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAk-rQh3eHo

Hahah I knew who it would be before I clicked on the link

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
an awesome single man tech death album, you can thank me later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH03tWxi2O0
http://aloathingrequiem.bandcamp.com/album/acolytes-eternal
A Loathing Requiem - Acolytes Eternal

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
If anyone enjoys that, the guy has a band with other actual humans called Inferi and they also make very lifeless technical death metal with wild solos.
https://inferi.bandcamp.com/

Less technical and infinitely more powerful is Lost Soul who FINALLY gave a date and cover art for their new one, Atlantis. No advance track yet, though.
October 30.

And wa-pow:

Whichever musical century you choose to live in, Lost Soul's prior album Immerse in Infinity should crush you handily. Between the quality of that one and the delay between then and now, I have unreasonable expectations for Atlantis.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Von Sloneker posted:

If anyone enjoys that, the guy has a band with other actual humans called Inferi and they also make very lifeless technical death metal with wild solos.

I was going to say, it sounds exactly like Inferi. That explains it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I hear less melodeath and a good deal more Anata. It's OK, well-written, but not at all earth-shattering like some people have said. I'll wait for Gorod and Mithras to give me my yearly tech death fix.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Anata is one of my favorites and I wish they would finish the album they were working on. :(
They do it right.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

This is fantastic.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJdil_m3V28

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Anata is one of my favorites and I wish they would finish the album they were working on. :(
They do it right.

The new record has been finished for years. Earache have just been a bunch of shitheads about making a deal with the band in order to release it. I don't think they can legally shop it around to other labels as a possibility at this point either, so we may be stuck waiting for a long, long time.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Turk February posted:

The new record has been finished for years. Earache have just been a bunch of shitheads about making a deal with the band in order to release it. I don't think they can legally shop it around to other labels as a possibility at this point either, so we may be stuck waiting for a long, long time.

Ahh yes, the last time I read about the album I saw this article, but it was before Henrik Drake commented on it to give the band's side of things: http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2013/04/22/anata-split-up-and-all-i-got-was-this-lousy-hashtag/

Earache posted:

Recorded in 2008?? That’s wrong dude… Where are you reading this
misleading info?

that’s when they STARTED the album bro….4 years ago the drums went down,
errr at least we think they did??

Then … Nothing

we had 3 years of silence…. Which is not really how we expect
professional bands to conduct business.

See Frediks email below where he states the album is not even finished as at
May 2011.

No vocals, no mix.

Fredrik was kind enough to email and explain the delay, and enquire if we
still had any interest in this Anata instrumental album, without vocals,
and unmixed.

I said thanks, but no thanks.

Henrik Drake posted:

Well, here is what really happened. We did not have our advance (half recording budget) from Earache to ever start the recording. We did so spending our own money. Then we asked them to have our advance as well as money to finalize the mix (vocals to be quickly added). There was no interest from Earache. We did not offer them an unmixed instrumental album.we still want to release this album.

A real shame. There's nothing like them that I've ever heard. Sure there's other tech death bands but Anata had a unique approach.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Ahh yes, the last time I read about the album I saw this article, but it was before Henrik Drake commented on it to give the band's side of things: http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2013/04/22/anata-split-up-and-all-i-got-was-this-lousy-hashtag/

A real shame. There's nothing like them that I've ever heard. Sure there's other tech death bands but Anata had a unique approach.

They should pull a Death Grips and leak it themselves to as many places as humanly possible, then.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
New Dead Lord is out and yep it is loving awesome.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
New Myrkur album - M - released today.

http://myrkur.bandcamp.com/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaX-xAhTIcY

If you've been living under a rock, it's the over-hyped 1-woman "black metal" band ( sort of ) who was pushed into the light by Garm of Ulver. Lots of controversy by mouth-breathers because she is (was?) in an indie-rock band ( Ex-Cops ) and was a Chanel model or something so therefore she is a poser/fake/trying to make money ( with black metal? lol ).

Musically, it's great - I don't know I'd call it black metal without a lot of sub-sub-sub-genre qualifications but Bergtatt-era black metal is definitely the root influence. Just add on some clean/choir vocals ( she has a great voice ), some screaming but not much, and it's almost like a female-fronted Ulver.

It's almost ambient/atmospheric as some of the songs ( like the opener ) only have these ethereal cleans floating in the background, and there are shorter 2-minute long choir-only "instrumentals".

Anyway, I'm a lovely reviewer - listen to it and buy it if you like it.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 21, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TollTheHounds posted:

If you've been living under a rock, it's the over-hyped 1-woman "black metal" band ( sort of ) who was pushed into the light by Garm of Ulver. Lots of controversy by mouth-breathers because she is (was?) in an indie-rock band ( Ex-Cops ) and was a Chanel model or something so therefore she is a poser/fake/trying to make money ( with black metal? lol ).
anthony geremia with vital remains was also a model so gently caress haters

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Christopher Bowes on Facebook posted:

There's been a few people suggesting that "Universe on Fire" by Gloryhammer is "techno pop garbage" or something. That's just not good enough for me. I'm not going to be satisfied until EVERYBODY is alienated by our music. Here's an even worse remix of the song to help the process along.

http://asdfgfa.com/track/universe-on-fire-asdfgfa-remix

That guy :allears:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

New Myrkur album - M - released today.

http://myrkur.bandcamp.com/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaX-xAhTIcY

Musically, it's great - I don't know I'd call it black metal without a lot of sub-sub-sub-genre qualifications but Bergtatt-era black metal is definitely the root influence. Just add on some clean/choir vocals ( she has a great voice ), some screaming but not much, and it's almost like a female-fronted Ulver.

It's almost ambient/atmospheric as some of the songs ( like the opener ) only have these ethereal cleans floating in the background, and there are shorter 2-minute long choir-only "instrumentals".

Anyway, I'm a lovely reviewer - listen to it and buy it if you like it.

While it's clearly not a money making thing she's getting more attention than the music actually deserves, pretty similar to what happened with Wolves in the Throne Room. It's cool that she's a woman trying to do black metal, because it's still mostly dudes, but why clone Ulver of all bands, why not a good band? It'd be way cooler if she cloned like Ildjarn or something.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You can't really clone Ildjarn. Vidar's insane level of misanthropy is not easy to replicate.

I don't really like saying "clone" in general because most artists people try to clone are so individual and recognizable that successfully cloning them isn't possible.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Man that was just an example, it could be any band. Just take something better than Ulver as an influence, you know?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
:laffo: at people complaining about a black metal act being more style than substance

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Well that was a super uninteresting song

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

The Clit Avoider posted:

This though probably isn't for everyone.

I was a bit iffy because usually in this thread when someone says 'not for everyone', it's probably not for me, but this kicks rear end, thanks!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

I was a bit iffy because usually in this thread when someone says 'not for everyone', it's probably not for me, but this kicks rear end, thanks!

Protector is a cool band. They released a handful of death'y thrash albums in the late 80s/early 90s and they're all good.

Don't really get a lot of mentions in the thrash talks though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

A human heart posted:

While it's clearly not a money making thing she's getting more attention than the music actually deserves, pretty similar to what happened with Wolves in the Throne Room. It's cool that she's a woman trying to do black metal, because it's still mostly dudes, but why clone Ulver of all bands, why not a good band? It'd be way cooler if she cloned like Ildjarn or something.

Oh I agree - that's why I said it's over-hyped, and she is getting way more attention than many other bands right now. As for why she emulated Ulver, you might as well ask why bands today still have Dissection riffs or sound like Bolt Thrower. Whether you like 90s Ulver or not you can't deny they had an impact.

Personally I like it, and was interested in what she's making before I even knew it was a woman or she was "outed". Songs like the linked video are pretty polarizing though, either you like the atmosphere or you don't.

Nobody goes onto the Thulcandra Facebook page and calls them dumb faggots who should die in a fire for ape'ing Dissection. But, because she's absolutely over-hyped she gets more criticism than she probably deserves.

I've listened to interviews she's done, the metalsucks podcast with her is actually pretty interesting. She didn't even want the demo's to be released until Garm and Teloch convinced her to, and even then she didn't want her identity known. I genuinely believe she's just making music she likes, and it adds a certain amount of authenticity.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2015

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone know of anything similar to Ares Kingdom's Incendiary? I'm not even sure what genre it's supposed to be (Thrash/Death?), but I haven't been able to stop listening to it for like a month now. Someone told me to check out Bolt Thrower, which I do like, but they don't really scratch the sort-of-melodic thrashy death itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7PvrD-LYFM

I refuse to confine this to the low traffic of the black metal thread. Besides, this transcends genre. It was posted in a metal-archives thread on Brazilian blackboozethrash (or whichever words you choose to combine for nomenclature's sake); I cannot cop to discovering something of this magnitude on my own.

edit:

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone know of anything similar to Ares Kingdom's Incendiary? I'm not even sure what genre it's supposed to be (Thrash/Death?), but I haven't been able to stop listening to it for like a month now. Someone told me to check out Bolt Thrower, which I do like, but they don't really scratch the sort-of-melodic thrashy death itch.

http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/visions-of-the-scourge
and more melodic but
https://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/hubris-in-excelsis

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 23, 2015