Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internaut! posted:

oh ya another thing the hugos do is publicly release all their voting data which this year is hilarious, it's up on google docs if you care but tldr:

it's a shame because sci fi amongst all literature really benefits from new developments in science

if you don't like sci fi you can happily spend the rest of your life reading Harold Bloom recommendations

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

Nintendo Kid posted:

thanks for grossly enlarging your picture so i can enjoy the jpeg artifacts on text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait, weren't there a huge number of nominations for works by people like stackpole and loving kevin j. anderson

there is no way in hell that kevin j. anderson deserves a "best of" anything award.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait, weren't there a huge number of nominations for works by people like stackpole and loving kevin j. anderson

there is no way in hell that kevin j. anderson deserves a "best of" anything award.

yes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's millennials v boomers and the hugo committee knows which way the wind is blowing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
kevin anderson deserves a best of award for killing himself

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
hahaha holy gently caress i forgot what a worthless, dripping sack of horseshit internaut was

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
use the power of the ignore list to enhance ur posting experience

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's millennials v boomers and the hugo committee knows which way the wind is blowing

the same way it's blowing with games, progressives patting themselves on the back for giving each other lots of press and awards while wondering where all the sales are

the system works

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"hey we're finally making games that don't rely on overly sexualizing women or promoting racism"
internaut: "but what about the sales?" :qq:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the sjws shrunk internaut's dick two years ago and he's been owned ever since

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Internaut! posted:

ya the hugos were hilarious this year

hmm. you are a fuckwit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Internaut! posted:

the same way it's blowing with games, progressives patting themselves on the back for giving each other lots of press and awards while wondering where all the sales are

the system works

so i guess that you only play call of duty and assassins creed huh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

internaut, furiously drafting a letter to the michelin guide "I just don't understand why you keep patting yourselves on the back with modernist cooking, McDonald's serves billions per day, where are their stars?????"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

because, as you pointed out it's almost literal deus ex machina. i'm not saying it's anything other than hacky bullshit, but it's the sort of hacky bullshit that is completely within the scope of a show who's core premise is "god exists" and regularly had characters outright say "god has a plan". that's a wizard loving did it right there.

having your premise be "god exists" allowed for some of the greatest stories ever told in fiction: the divine comedy, paradise lost, moby dick, you fuckin name it, christian allegory everywhere you look

putting "a wizard did it" "within the scope" of "the rules" doesn't make it good writing. television isn't d&d. minmaxing what stupid horseshit you can shovel onto the audience is a bad idea

edit: it just dawned on me i can't name any tv shows that relied on christian allegory and didn't suck poo poo. maybe that's a sign

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 23, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

internaut, furiously drafting a letter to the michelin guide "I just don't understand why you keep patting yourselves on the back with modernist cooking, McDonald's serves billions per day, where are their stars?????"

this is what michelin 'bib gourmand' is for btw

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

didn't expect to see George R. R. Martin being one of the biggest opponents to the sad puppies, although apparently he has been nominated for and received multiple Hugos

he even gave out awards to all the authors that would have been nominated if not for the sad puppies efforts at the afterparty lol

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cnidaria posted:

didn't expect to see George R. R. Martin being one of the biggest opponents to the sad puppies, although apparently he has been nominated for and received multiple Hugos

he even gave out awards to all the authors that would have been nominated if not for the sad puppies efforts at the afterparty lol

Internaut! posted:

just like gamergate the self-appointed gatekeepers lost their loving minds and decided to burn the whole thing to the ground instead of letting the outsiders win a single award, to the horror of GRRM and other nice old guys who think the Hugos were good ambassadors for sci fi (they were) and should have been saved instead

lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is what michelin 'bib gourmand' is for btw

yeah I know what bg is, internaut is arguing that the most popular books ought to win best of awards though

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

froward posted:

use the power of the ignore list to enhance ur posting experience

no because here i'm allowed to tell him that he's an offbrown shitstain without having to first muster up some kind of counterargument to whatever useless garbage he said

also he reminds me that i'm not him which is actually really helpful

p.s. internaut you are an offbrown shitstain

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the problem with ignore lists is that they only work if everybody in the thread uses them, otherwise people quote the post and you see it anyway

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

lol i missed that

it's also funny how internaut is suggesting that sales should be a factor in the awards when GRRM explicitly stated that sales shouldn't matter, what does matter is that the story is innovative in some way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cnidaria posted:

lol i missed that

it's also funny how internaut is suggesting that sales should be a factor in the awards when GRRM explicitly stated that sales shouldn't matter, what does matter is that the story is innovative in some way

lol

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

internaut is arguing that the most popular books ought to win best of awards though

Cnidaria posted:

internaut is suggesting that sales should be a factor in the awards

my posts are right there for everyone to see I didn't say anything like that

Heresiarch posted:

no because here i'm allowed to tell him that he's an offbrown shitstain without having to first muster up some kind of counterargument to whatever useless garbage he said

progressive

you guys can get mad at me for pointing out this stuff doesn't sell if you like even though I'm not creating or promoting it, I just enjoy seeing the gulf between critical darling and commercial success in games (and now sci fi) widening at light speed

invoke Michelin to convince yourself it's because the product has suddenly gotten dramatically superior if you like, that's even funnier

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
so what kind of stuff won awards (in previous years?) that got people so mad

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

this isn't even a sales thing. dresden aside the puppy nominees are no more popular than the usual fare. the hugo is a populist award and nominations are dominated by popular works. if you want an award given to literary works in service of a left-wing political agenda, you can look at something like the tiptree award, it's nothing like the hugos

it helps to understand the puppies when you realise that their idea of a pretentious literary snot nobody reads is john scalzi

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Internaut! posted:

you guys can get mad at me for pointing out this stuff doesn't sell if you like even though I'm not creating or promoting it, I just enjoy seeing the gulf between critical darling and commercial success in games (and now sci fi) widening at light speed
why do i see ann leckie's books at barnes & noble and not vox day's??

come to think of it i don't think i've even heard of vox day except from people on the internet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i just caught up on the huga drama with the wired summary/overview and jfc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

when grrmartin ends up being the adult in the room

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just add a couple of "most progressive X" categories

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

putting "a wizard did it" "within the scope" of "the rules" doesn't make it good writing. television isn't d&d. minmaxing what stupid horseshit you can shovel onto the audience is a bad idea

edit: it just dawned on me i can't name any tv shows that relied on christian allegory and didn't suck poo poo. maybe that's a sign

i'm not saying good religious allegory can't exist, just that by and large in tv it doesn't. and what happened with bsg was only a surprise if you very studiously ignored all the signs that they were going to do exactly that. i'm not a fan of the show by any means, so this isn't meant as some kind of apologia for the lazy and disappointing writing. i just like to point out to incensed fanboys that it wore its intentions on its sleeve

---------------------
so at this point how are the hugos not essentially "toxic". as in there are two entrenched opposed groups that will muster to undermine and vote against each other along purely ideological lines at every opportunity, completely negating any value they might have had as an indicator of quality

it seems as likely that at some point they'll lose whatever relevance they still hold. the boys brigade will break off and make their own awards with rape and misogyny and traditional values and furiously jerk each other off over the john ringo award for putting women in their place or whatever, and no one will care. likewise the forces of progressivism will fracture a hundred times over the same time period and maybe a few will attach themselves to something new and worthy, and no one will care.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

why do i see ann leckie's books at barnes & noble and not vox day's??

come to think of it i don't think i've even heard of vox day except from people on the internet

vox day and one of the other sad puppy leaders are super racist and sexist so I wouldn't be surprised if major bookstores won't sell their books because of that

super racist and sexist is actually an understatement for vox day since he opposes women's suffrage and believes black people are savages

edit: also im pretty sure him and his buddies that he got nominated are all published out of his small company so there probably isn't much distribution either

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cnidaria posted:

vox day and one of the other sad puppy leaders are super racist and sexist so I wouldn't be surprised if major bookstores won't sell their books because of that

super racist and sexist is actually an understatement for vox day since he opposes women's suffrage and believes black people are savages

if you showed hp lovecraft one of his books he'd be all like "whoa man calm down a little there"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the hugos are genuinely a bit of a mess, the further you get from best novel (the one category people care about) the sillier things get, with poo poo like one guy winning best fan artist 23 times, or arcane categories like 'best semiprozine', or short dramatic presentation being more than 50% doctor who in both wins and nominations since its inception

but the puppies are a lot like gamergate in that they've rolled into an institution with genuine problems and ignored them in favour of ranting about the SJW conspiracy

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Internaut! posted:

progressive

you're an offbrown shitstain

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Cnidaria posted:

edit: also im pretty sure him and his buddies that he got nominated are all published out of his small company so there probably isn't much distribution either

vox day is probably just in it to stir up controversy to get racists buying from his small press

larry correia is the puppy leader who actually sells books, but he's not substantially larger than say ann leckie so far as I know. i don't think either compares even to john scalzi let alone grrm

above grrm you have the people who actually sell a poo poo-ton of sff books without getting much notice from the awards and community. that list is people like jk rowling, stephanie meyers and suzanne collins. somehow i don't think they are who the puppies had in mind.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Valeyard posted:

so what kind of stuff won awards (in previous years?) that got people so mad

well,

Wired posted:

Particular targets of Puppy derision include two 2014 Hugo winners: John Chu’s short story, “The Water That Falls on You From Nowhere,” in which a gay man decides to come out to his traditional Chinese family after the world is beset by a new phenomenon: whenever a person lies, water inexplicably falls on them; and Ann Leckie’s debut novel Ancillary Justice, whose protagonists do not see gender. Leckie conveys this by using female pronouns throughout.

they're terrified of the idea that science fiction isn't just an institution by and for straight white men anymore. any justification they give for their actions beyond that is a lie. they are racist and sexist and homophobic, and that's the long and short of it. "offbrown shitstain" is an apt descriptor.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i hope the end game in all this is that all those shitfucks create their own :airquote: meritocratic :airquote: awards that we can all laugh at.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

i'm not saying good religious allegory can't exist, just that by and large in tv it doesn't. and what happened with bsg was only a surprise if you very studiously ignored all the signs that they were going to do exactly that. i'm not a fan of the show by any means, so this isn't meant as some kind of apologia for the lazy and disappointing writing. i just like to point out to incensed fanboys that it wore its intentions on its sleeve

i was actually expecting the christian allegory to work out somehow and have a really cool underlying theme. instead i got "a wizard did it"

allegorical intent was definitely really loving obvious from very early on

lazy, lovely writing wasn't

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ol qwerty bastard posted:

they're terrified of the idea that science fiction isn't just an institution by and for straight white men anymore. any justification they give for their actions beyond that is a lie. they are racist and sexist and homophobic, and that's the long and short of it. "offbrown shitstain" is an apt descriptor.
its literally the same fight thats going on in comics (fake geek girls) and video games (gamergate) and most other subfields of nerdery (i see it in my particular sad nerdfield of tabletop gaming frex). its the 21st cetnury, nerd culture is becoming mass culture, and increasingly women and gays and people from other cultures and races are becoming involved in nerdly interests and the straight white men who hegemonized comics/scifi/gaming/whatever are losing their poo poo over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i hope the end game in all this is that all those shitfucks create their own :airquote: meritocratic :airquote: awards that we can all laugh at.
thats been suggested to them many times. there are two problems

1) that requires effort and organization, theyd rather just take over a preexisting institution where other people have already done the work and built the prestige
2) its not really about winning awards, its about taking something nice away from those stupid ess jay dubyas and making them cry

• Locked thread