Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I only watched the first season and a half of Californication but my irrationally completely rationally irritating movie moment was how every female character was a one dimensional conniving whore bitch

Rescue Me was pretty much the same way after the 2nd season.

New female character? She's crazy, and Tommy Gavin gets to bang her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AFewBricksShy posted:

Rescue Me was pretty much the same way after the 2nd season.

New female character? She's crazy, and Tommy Gavin gets to bang her.

Also 9/11!

Can I safely assume that his new series is just him doing drugs and banging more women with a joke or two in there as an afterthought?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

MariusLecter posted:

Also 9/11!

Can I safely assume that his new series is just him doing drugs and banging more women with a joke or two in there as an afterthought?

I only caught a couple episodes before growing bored but it's more about his character trying to keep his daughter from making the same mistakes he did. And his character is that of a washed up rocker who has become a joke to the people who even remember him, and that's not very many people, so there's not a lot of tail chasing from what I saw.

I think I made it three episodes in before realizing I didn't care enough to keep watching.

For content, I've been watching Lie to me and even though it's a great show it gets really old when it has to explain the "science" of how Roth does his lie-detector thing a dozen times every single episode. I kind of get it since it's a procedural so it's the kind of show anyone is supposed to be able to jump in to at any point and be able to enjoy so they need to explain this bullshit for any new viewers, but they are way excessive about it. If you were to remove every throwaway line about micro-expressions and "manipulators" they would shave twenty minutes off the runtime of each episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Esroc posted:

For content, I've been watching Lie to me and even though it's a great show it gets really old when it has to explain the "science" of how Roth does his lie-detector thing a dozen times every single episode. I kind of get it since it's a procedural so it's the kind of show anyone is supposed to be able to jump in to at any point and be able to enjoy so they need to explain this bullshit for any new viewers, but they are way excessive about it. If you were to remove every throwaway line about micro-expressions and "manipulators" they would shave twenty minutes off the runtime of each episode.

Yeah I did get real sick of Lie to me explaining the same trick/science over and over. Like eventually even the side characters on the show are noticing micro-expressions but they still have to explain it to the audience like we never saw Roth's character do it before.

Also, its weird, the first time I saw Lie to me and Sherlock I thought they were both pretty fun and at times clever, but re-watching them its really hard to not just call BS on every one of their magic power tricks. Sherlock especially pushes it too far past belief to the point where its like, show, are you testing me here? Are you testing how far I'm willing to suspend disbelief? Oh poo poo you have some mud on your shoe and its slightly light brown mud so clearly your pet dog had to go outside this morning to poop and you live in north wincastershire and you planted poppies outside your house last month and you're an alcoholic and your father just died and you're going to win the lottery next week. :v:

On the other hand I found Elementary to be annoyingly pretentious from the very start, no re-viewing necessary.
Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes is kinda in the middle, doesn't annoy me as much but still pretty much has magic powers when the script needs him to.

Ultimately I'm just kinda sick of the Sherlock knockoffs. Too many of them! House MD did a really good job of doing a Sherlock-type not in strictly Sherlockian ways and it felt pretty fresh at the time, then we get a bunch of literal Sherlock carbon copies and its just ugh.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I did get real sick of Lie to me explaining the same trick/science over and over. Like eventually even the side characters on the show are noticing micro-expressions but they still have to explain it to the audience like we never saw Roth's character do it before.

Also, its weird, the first time I saw Lie to me and Sherlock I thought they were both pretty fun and at times clever, but re-watching them its really hard to not just call BS on every one of their magic power tricks. Sherlock especially pushes it too far past belief to the point where its like, show, are you testing me here? Are you testing how far I'm willing to suspend disbelief? Oh poo poo you have some mud on your shoe and its slightly light brown mud so clearly your pet dog had to go outside this morning to poop and you live in north wincastershire and you planted poppies outside your house last month and you're an alcoholic and your father just died and you're going to win the lottery next week. :v:

On the other hand I found Elementary to be annoyingly pretentious from the very start, no re-viewing necessary.
Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes is kinda in the middle, doesn't annoy me as much but still pretty much has magic powers when the script needs him to.

Ultimately I'm just kinda sick of the Sherlock knockoffs. Too many of them! House MD did a really good job of doing a Sherlock-type not in strictly Sherlockian ways and it felt pretty fresh at the time, then we get a bunch of literal Sherlock carbon copies and its just ugh.

The original Sherlock Holmes books were the exact same though to be fair except he was racked off his tits on cocaine and heroin.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
The BBC Sherlock bounced back and forth between dumb and alright. My personal favorite is the last episode wherein Sherlock encounters a man with similar MIND POWERS to catalog and memorize things.

They have a duel of wits, things are tense, time is short, HOW WILL SHERLOCK OUTSMART THE OTHER GUY!

So then Sherlock pulls a gun and shoots the bad guy in his loving face.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

The BBC Sherlock bounced back and forth between dumb and alright. My personal favorite is the last episode wherein Sherlock encounters a man with similar MIND POWERS to catalog and memorize things.

They have a duel of wits, things are tense, time is short, HOW WILL SHERLOCK OUTSMART THE OTHER GUY!

So then Sherlock pulls a gun and shoots the bad guy in his loving face.

To be fair that was pretty awesome

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was an efficient solution if inelegant

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

MindlessHavok posted:

To be fair that was pretty awesome

I concur.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My biggest problem with Sherlock is that there's only like 3 episodes per season.

They're pretty long and well made, so that's cool. In the first season and the second it worked out pretty well.

But then the third seson... Moffat had so much fun writing the adventures of Sherlock and Watson that he forgot to have a loving murder mystery :doh:

Each of the episodes wastes SO much time on just goofing around with Cumberbatch doing his thing. If it was a show with 10 episodes like game of thrones or better yet like 23 episodes like a normal season, then fine, waste a few episodes on fun hijink adventures around your apartment.

But when you have 3 loving episodes in the entire season, you need to GET ON WITH IT.

That and the whole Reichenbach Fall was a pretty cool set up that had no way to resolve well.

Oh my other issue there, Moriarty pretends like he's an actor and Holmes is like "Stop it!" and Watson is just like 'man I don't know what's real anymore'. Wasn't Watson supposed to be a pretty clever guy? He can't think maybe "oh poo poo, known genius mastermind Moriarty is probably SETTING HOLMES UP, I should have his back". Its painfully obvious that's what's happening. I feel like their Watson is a little too dumb.

That's one thing the Sherlock Holmes with Downey Jr gets better, their Watson (Jude Law) is much closer to Holmes' level. He's clearly not the same kind of magic-psychic-powers genius as Holmes, but he's got a clever mind and he learns from being around Holmes all the time.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 21, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like how in the books, yeah, Watson will know everything about medicine and help holmes keep his attic clear by not having to remember what symptoms of diseases are so he can just focus on knowing literally what very type of cigar ash looks like and pin point from which part of london the person gets his rare cigs, but also that watson's greatest superpower is Owning A Gun.

Holmes will be like hey i'm going to apprehend the killer but he's got like a south american pygmy accomplice and I just don't see a way around it you're going to have to shoot a primitive for me bring your service revolver.

If it was a traditional mystery instead of an adventure story, "watson, get your gun" would be the "everyone step into the parlor" scene.

(If you wanted to gently caress up holmes just roll your own cigars differently every day and leave ash everywhere)

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That's one thing the Sherlock Holmes with Downey Jr gets better, their Watson (Jude Law) is much closer to Holmes' level. He's clearly not the same kind of magic-psychic-powers genius as Holmes, but he's got a clever mind and he learns from being around Holmes all the time.

Relevant.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=210

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Krinkle posted:

(If you wanted to gently caress up holmes just roll your own cigars differently every day and leave ash everywhere)

Also keep some boxes of mud from different parts of London that you can leave at the scene.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It always bugged me how Holmes never shares his clues. He just fucks off for 10 pages then comes back and tells everyone the answer. Solving the case isn't that impressive when he can pull 50 hints out of his rear end that the reader never heard before.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Dr_Amazing posted:

It always bugged me how Holmes never shares his clues. He just fucks off for 10 pages then comes back and tells everyone the answer. Solving the case isn't that impressive when he can pull 50 hints out of his rear end that the reader never heard before.

Holmes doesn't have mysteries. Holmes has adventures. It is not a race between you and the detective to solve the mystery. It's an adventure where he just tells you how he did it. It would be extremely boring for watson to narrate every goddamn scratch on every goddamn object ever just so you can say oh the man is drunk because he winds his watch all sloppy before holmes can. The entire point, the entire goddamn point, is he pays attention to stupid minutia that nobody, watson as narrator included, would ever even mention and jumps to the correct conclusion. I guess read agatha christie if it bothers you so much.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Krinkle posted:

Holmes doesn't have mysteries. Holmes has adventures. It is not a race between you and the detective to solve the mystery. It's an adventure where he just tells you how he did it. It would be extremely boring for watson to narrate every goddamn scratch on every goddamn object ever just so you can say oh the man is drunk because he winds his watch all sloppy before holmes can. The entire point, the entire goddamn point, is he pays attention to stupid minutia that nobody, watson as narrator included, would ever even mention and jumps to the correct conclusion. I guess read agatha christie if it bothers you so much.

Well sorry for thinking that a bunch of stories about a famous detective solving murders, might have a mystery or two. You can call it what you want, but he's not fighting pirates or anything. He's following clues, questioning witnesses, and finding out whodunit. AKA solving mysteries.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He's basically a proto-superhero.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

He's basically a proto-superhero.

Pretty much. He's a detective in the same sense Batman is: it gives him an excuse to chase down killers and get into danger.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr_Amazing posted:

I definitely understand where you're coming from here, but to be fair back when Sherlock Holmes was written, that's how murder mysteries were done.

The reader wasn't supposed to solve the crime first, they were supposed to be impressed by the detective solving the crime. And maybe some bodice ripping around act 2.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a rather fun pastiche of the stories by Stephen King called "The Doctors' Case" where Watson solves the mystery before Holmes. The mystery is a bit rubbish, but the way Watson deals with solving it is delightful, and the mutually respectful friendship between Holmes and Watson is rather touching.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Irisi posted:

There's a rather fun pastiche of the stories by Stephen King called "The Doctors' Case" where Watson solves the mystery before Holmes. The mystery is a bit rubbish, but the way Watson deals with solving it is delightful, and the mutually respectful friendship between Holmes and Watson is rather touching.

My friend loaned me a collection of Holmes stories written by various authors, and King's (and I guess Gaiman's too) was the only one that was any good. Every other story had Holmes saying something like "I've often said the simplest solution is the most probable one, and in this case the simplest solution is ghosts!/zombies!/psychics!/cthulhus!/etc." and/or somebody saying "I've never seen Holmes afraid before... until now!" And one or two stories with a Mary Sue detective that's so much smarter than Holmes, yeah that Holmes is such an old fool compared to me... I mean this new character I came up with. I guess I should have expected them to suck, it's pretty much glorified fan-fiction.

Sorry for that rant, that anthology was one of the worst books I've ever read.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Forensic Files is probably the best true crime show out there but they really shouldn't have used mugshots or courtroom pictures when introducing the perpetrator. Kinda spoils the surprise.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Celery Face posted:

Forensic Files is probably the best true crime show out there but they really shouldn't have used mugshots or courtroom pictures when introducing the perpetrator. Kinda spoils the surprise.

They got better at it later. One time they had a "A boy was kidnapped. Will the police find him... alive???" and the whole time I was thinking that they would have spoiled it with an interview with him if he was alive.

Surprise! The interview was played after they found him alive :v:

e: They did do a lot of:
"They questioned some guy, but it wasn't him."
"They questioned some other lady, but it wasn't her."
"Then, they questioned John Smith, aged 47, a welder for 20 years, social security number 050-94-2329. *plays violin sting* Could this be the guy???"

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Aug 23, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Another problem the early episodes had is that they went overboard with the crime scene photos. It really wasn't necessary to show the half-nude body of a raped and murdered child or a dead old lady with her torso blasted open by a pipe bomb and a horrified expression frozen on her face. They probably didn't even get permission from the families because who would want that to be broadcasted?

I'm probably biased because I'm diagnosed with Asperger's but I loving hated The Imitation Game. Every scene made me cringe. Alan Turing was apparently really charismatic and witty in real life so I don't get why they decided to turn him into a really really stereotypical aspie. Rain Man came out 27 years ago, we should have been done with this poo poo by now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

In Pacific Rim the Russian robot is called Cherno Alpha. Chernobyl isn't in Russia!

. Ukraine is and has always been a part of the Russian federation. Any other claims are a filthy lie of western homofascists

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Celery Face posted:

Bent (it's about gay men during the Holocaust) has a lot of problems but the part in it that bugged me the most was when the main character's boyfriend whines that he can't escape Berlin because he'll miss his dance classes. This is right when the Night Of The Long Knives is going on and they just saw a gay man have his throat slit by some nazis. :psyboom:

I haven't seen the film but if the gay dude was killed in the Night of the Long Knives he was probably a Nazi himself. Seeing as it was for the most part an internal purge of the NSDAP, more specifically Strasserist and other left-fascist elements within the SA. Some of the SA leadership happened to be openly gay, most notably the main leader Ernst Röhm, and that was used in propaganda of to justify the massacre but it wasn't really the main issue.
Which would make it fairly easy to brush it of as not signifying the start of anti-homosexual persecution.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Aug 24, 2015

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Celery Face posted:

Another problem the early episodes had is that they went overboard with the crime scene photos. It really wasn't necessary to show the half-nude body of a raped and murdered child or a dead old lady with her torso blasted open by a pipe bomb and a horrified expression frozen on her face. They probably didn't even get permission from the families because who would want that to be broadcasted?

I'm probably biased because I'm diagnosed with Asperger's but I loving hated The Imitation Game. Every scene made me cringe. Alan Turing was apparently really charismatic and witty in real life so I don't get why they decided to turn him into a really really stereotypical aspie. Rain Man came out 27 years ago, we should have been done with this poo poo by now.

Rain man wasn't about a person with asperger's, not even a highly functional autistic person. Rain man was a tremendously crippled autistic person with mental retardation, and who just so happened to be good at counting cards.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Insinuating this autist has never seen the movie Rain Man is discrimination of some kind

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Are any of you not aspergers at this point

Or is this like that movie and you are Donald Sutherland and I'm that lady and you see me and point and do your aspie scream at me

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Celery Face posted:

The Theory of Everything (the Hawking movie) bothered me, because the entire story leads to Hawking cheating on his wife with his therapist and it's played as sort of romantic.

I get that it was for the best that Hawking and his wife split up, so now they can both be happy, but the whole movie seemed to be "look how great she was to him" when he just kind of pulls a dick move at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Its because they cast Cumberbatch, and that's what he's "good at" / typecast at. And because Hollywood has no creativity.

Yeah I have a CS degree and I've always kinda looked up to Turing, so all the recent media just kinda pissed me off. I imagine that's true for most "based on a real story" movies, if you know anything about the real character you probably hate the movie.

Like Patch Adams is more bullshit than reality; the girlfriend was a male doctor and Patch didn't behave at all like Robin Williams did, etc. etc.

The other one bothering me of late is Tesla. Cool, crazy guy who did some good science, but god drat has the internet just taken his image and run with it. Right around when The Prestige came out and The Oatmeal started talking about him everybody decided he was science-jesus and he actually figured out how to build a time machine but didn't tell anybody or some poo poo like that.

Like truth is stranger than fiction and there's all these great historical tales out there but for some reason Hollywood always has to bend them around because you'd rather hear their stories instead. But then why are you basing it on a "true story" in the first place? :v:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Catch Me If You Can is a powerful movie based on truth and casts the actual person as an extra... I like DiCaprio as well, so the movie overall is win.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Real stories are almost universally boring, even when the subject did something great.

You need someone totally crazy like the Catch Me if You Can example to stick to the facts and be interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Catch Me If You Can is a powerful movie based on truth and casts the actual person as an extra... I like DiCaprio as well, so the movie overall is win.

I don't even like DiCaprio that much and I enjoyed Catch Me. It was structured almost like a heist film where you're seeing him go through his cons, and then the tension of having Tom Hanks constantly one step behind him was fun.

I Love You Phillip Morris reminded me a whole lot of Catch Me and I enjoyed it too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think for a lot of people (males) Catch Me If You Can was the moment where they put aside their kneejerk reaction to Titanic and realized that Leo DiCaprio is actually a pretty solid actor.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Rain man wasn't about a person with asperger's, not even a highly functional autistic person. Rain man was a tremendously crippled autistic person with mental retardation, and who just so happened to be good at counting cards.
I was talking more about people assuming that someone was autistic because they were really really good at something. The real Rain Man wasn't on the spectrum, he was mentally retarded and just happened to be a savant, which the vast majority of autistic people aren't.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Aphrodite posted:

Real stories are almost universally boring, even when the subject did something great.

You need someone totally crazy like the Catch Me if You Can example to stick to the facts and be interesting.

Or Audie Murphy, whose Wikipedia article almost reads like a synopsis of a Call of Duty game.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

Or Audie Murphy, whose Wikipedia article almost reads like a synopsis of a Call of Duty game.

Didn't they have to tone down a lot of things in his movie, because people wouldn't believe they happened?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inco posted:

Yeah. Simo Häyhä is another example. There's plenty of crazy stories out there.

Anyways, I'm cool with fiction too, its just the "we're going to base this on a real story but then make everything up" that bothers me.

Like, if the story was compelling enough for you to pick it to make a movie out of, why change everything? If the story isn't compelling enough, why make a movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Its because they cast Cumberbatch, and that's what he's "good at" / typecast at. And because Hollywood has no creativity.

Yeah I have a CS degree and I've always kinda looked up to Turing, so all the recent media just kinda pissed me off. I imagine that's true for most "based on a real story" movies, if you know anything about the real character you probably hate the movie.

Like Patch Adams is more bullshit than reality; the girlfriend was a male doctor and Patch didn't behave at all like Robin Williams did, etc. etc.

The other one bothering me of late is Tesla. Cool, crazy guy who did some good science, but god drat has the internet just taken his image and run with it. Right around when The Prestige came out and The Oatmeal started talking about him everybody decided he was science-jesus and he actually figured out how to build a time machine but didn't tell anybody or some poo poo like that.

Like truth is stranger than fiction and there's all these great historical tales out there but for some reason Hollywood always has to bend them around because you'd rather hear their stories instead. But then why are you basing it on a "true story" in the first place? :v:

Tesla was pretty much already thought of that way long before the internet started getting in on it. I remember reading a biography about him years ago that had poo poo along the lines of "yeah Tesla totally built a rad deathray and fired it off at Russia and so the government busted in and stole all his research after he died."