Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

Magnet Sphere from the dungeon will stunlock Mothrons into the ground for like 75% of the time.

I'm still pre-Plantera. I can't get that yet. I'll keep that in mind for when I do get it, though.

Krittick posted:

Is there some secret to making Vampires spawn during an eclipse? The last 5 of them I've done, only 2-3 Vampires spawn during the entire event. It makes farming for the Moon Stone tedious as gently caress. The wiki says they're supposed to be the most common enemy, but I either have terrible luck or something is wrong.
Try building a small raised platform about two screens above the ground. Vampires and Mothrons are AFAIK the only true fliers during the eclipse, so they should be the only monsters capable of spawning if you're far away enough from the ground.

Mailer posted:

Is there some sort of timer bug with statues? I've got four teleporters in sequence with heart statues. Everything is hooked up to a single one second timer. Before each Moon Lord summon I need to repeatedly load the game and click the timer to see if the hearts will start spawning correctly. At one point during an early run, where I just barely saved it by teleporting home four times for healing, I teleported back and the already-activated timer started making hearts spawn again. I have no idea. :/
Statues can only spawn one heart every ten or so seconds, plus they won't spawn at all if there are six or more hearts already existing in the world.

kvx687 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Mailer posted:

Is there some sort of timer bug with statues? I've got four teleporters in sequence with heart statues. Everything is hooked up to a single one second timer. Before each Moon Lord summon I need to repeatedly load the game and click the timer to see if the hearts will start spawning correctly. At one point during an early run, where I just barely saved it by teleporting home four times for healing, I teleported back and the already-activated timer started making hearts spawn again. I have no idea. :/

There are limits to how many statue-spawned items are possible. With hearts it's one per 10 seconds: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Heart_Statue#Spawn_limits

kvx687 posted:

Try building a small raised platform about two screens above the ground. Vampires and Mothrons are AFAIK the only true fliers during the eclipse, so they should be the only monsters capable of spawning if you're far away enough from the ground.

No such luck. Every possible enemy was spawning on the platform directly, not just the flying ones. Even with a water candle and battle potion, they seem to be spawning extremely rarely. Even Mothron shows up more frequently than Vampires. This is without using any summons to make sure they're not killing them outside of view. I may just cheat the item in at this point. :(

Mina fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 23, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ugh, the first time in the Martian invasion and that SUCKED. That will teach me to try and find some drat fish for the Angler--probe showed up and found me before I could kill it.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Of course as soon as I complain about it, 3 Vampires each drop a Moon Stone within 2 minutes. :sigh:

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krittick posted:

No such luck. Every possible enemy was spawning on the platform directly, not just the flying ones. Even with a water candle and battle potion, they seem to be spawning extremely rarely. Even Mothron shows up more frequently than Vampires. This is without using any summons to make sure they're not killing them outside of view. I may just cheat the item in at this point. :(

Well, you got what you needed so it doesn't matter now, but I meant a really small line made out of wooden platforms. The idea was that there wasn't anywhere onscreen or nearby for land-based enemies to spawn, so the only enemies that could show up were fliers; since vampires spawn in their bat form and don't switch until they hit a solid block, they could still reach you when everything else couldn't.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Krittick posted:

Is there some secret to making Vampires spawn during an eclipse? The last 5 of them I've done, only 2-3 Vampires spawn during the entire event. It makes farming for the Moon Stone tedious as gently caress. The wiki says they're supposed to be the most common enemy, but I either have terrible luck or something is wrong.

They, along with deadly spheres and Mothron herself, are some of the only Eclipse mobs that can fly, so I'd suggest getting to a high spot if possible.

Their bat form tends to be hard to spot as well, so you might be getting loads of them and not realizing it. To be completely certain, take up a perch where only flying mobs can get you.

edit: I forgot to press Next Page so I didn't realize that this was already answered, oops.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kvx687 posted:

Speaking of Plantera, will it enrage if I lure it into a nearby granite section? It would be a pretty good premade arena, but I don't know if it still counts as part of the jungle. There is jungle on both sides if that matters, it isn't right at the edge or anything.

no it won't, that's where I killed it many times. It just enrages in the surface.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

no it won't, that's where I killed it many times. It just enrages in the surface.

I wouldn't rely on that actually, it did for me. First time I fought it and led it to a nearby granite biome.. no real issues other than I lost.

Second time I did the same in a bigger granite one and it went full on rage mode and tore me to pieces in a few seconds. I suspect it has to have a certain amount of jungle around it or something.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone done anything neat with actuators to create more elaborate background decorations or something practical? Here's one thing I managed to do today:

Doorway

If you want to make a shadow-painted doorway that lets your character walk in and teleport to another location or doorway, here's how you do it while keeping the teleporter entirely unseen:

1. Place your teleporter on the ground
2. Hook up actuators to each tile of the teleporter, wiring them all together and connect them to a switch.
3. Press the switch to send the teleporter to the background, then remove the switch, actuators, and wire.
4. Place a single platform above the teleporter, and put a pressure plate on it.
5. Hook your teleporter up to another one, supposedly with the same thing done to make it a proper doorway.
6. Paint everything seen in the image with shadow paint to hide it against a background, also painted with shadow paint.

You'll now have a nice, hidden passage that will quickly and effectively take you between locations without looking too steampunk. This also taught me that you didn't need to actually have the bottom of your feet touching a pressure plate to set it off.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I haven't come up with a solid plan for what to do with it yet, but if you actuate a block you can still put wall behind it. Normally this doesn't do much, but if you make it a gemspark wall it will still glow through the actuated block. One of the coolest things I've thought of with this was I actuated some waterfall blocks, painted them green and put some green gemspark walls behind them, making it look like I had a flowing system of toxic waste/radiated water/liquid science. Only reason I haven't made an underground lab yet is that I haven't come up with what else to build it out of.

Something to keep in mind is that gemspark walls will glow through one square more in each direction than you place, so if you place one wall it will glow through nine blocks, and if you have a 5*7 area it will light up through a 7*9 area of blocks. I'm sure I could have phrased that more intelligently but I should really be asleep right now.

Akett fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 23, 2015

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
There needs to be a couple more variants of teleporters so you don't get surrounded by piss sparkles and make that weird BWEEEEEE noise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What's the general take on the console version(s) of Terraria? The PSN version is $6.00 digitally until tomorrow, and I was considering picking it up just to see how the other side lives. I know that it is just $6, but I am still hesitant as I know that there is much less content than the PC version and I feel like the building and mining aspects of the game would control awkwardly with a gamepad.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

kvx687 posted:

Well, you got what you needed so it doesn't matter now, but I meant a really small line made out of wooden platforms. The idea was that there wasn't anywhere onscreen or nearby for land-based enemies to spawn, so the only enemies that could show up were fliers; since vampires spawn in their bat form and don't switch until they hit a solid block, they could still reach you when everything else couldn't.

I totally got what you meant and I took pains to make sure I wasn't anywhere near any non-platform blocks. That's why it confused the hell out of me because I've done that before for making other flying enemies spawn and it worked, but the Eclipse enemies appeared to be ignoring spawn rules and were actually seeming to be spawning directly on the wooden platforms.

I used TerraMap to figure out what was happening though. Turns out there were some tiles remaining in midair from when I had completely destroyed a sky island, juuuust offscreen from my platforms and barely visible during the Eclipse lighting. I'm guessing they were spawning there and jumping/falling to the platform without me noticing. :ughh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Acne Rain posted:

No, it enrages if you take it out the jungle biome or bring it aboveground. Granite biomes are like a sub-biome so they still count as whatever biome they're generated in.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I am not a creative person. Beauty only exists in the glorious efficiency of a murder trap. People like me should never get access to a DCU. I've got gigantic holes in my swiss cheese world now.

Krittick posted:

I used TerraMap to figure out what was happening though. Turns out there were some tiles remaining in midair from when I had completely destroyed a sky island

Oh hell, this would explain the weird everything-is-spawning-on-lava inefficiency of my pumpkin moon farm. I'll need to go destroy my skybridges.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

JustJeff88 posted:

What's the general take on the console version(s) of Terraria? The PSN version is $6.00 digitally until tomorrow, and I was considering picking it up just to see how the other side lives. I know that it is just $6, but I am still hesitant as I know that there is much less content than the PC version and I feel like the building and mining aspects of the game would control awkwardly with a gamepad.

A sale eh, drat. I paid full price for it about a week ago.

I only picked it up as it offers the ability for some lounge room co-op, I bought it for PS4. There is still enough content for it to be worth it I would say and the current update from the developers is that the console versions should see the remainder of 1.2.4 by the end of the year. As far as I can tell from their update schedule you are looking at being able to have 1.3 or even just some of 1.3
in about 11 months give or take.

It plays well enough and you can zoom in or out while playing which is neat. However I found the controls for me very fiddly.

It has a "smart" control system and a sort of emulated mouse mode that you can use. The smart mode is supposed to be able to intelligently open doors, interact with items and chests etc. However I find it does not work well a lot of the time if there is more than one item to be interacted with in the area. This often means you are forced to switch over to the manual controls often and then back
to smart controls. It becomes annoying after a time.

Also as it lacks the ability to quick stack simply from your inventory to any nearby chests and instead requires you to open each chest, it really slows down any sorting of goods or utilisation of storage. In fact I find dealing with storage full stop in the console game to be very frustrating.

If you are willing to deal with less content, the occasionally fiddly controls there is still a lot of fun to be had there in co op or even just the ability for you to lounge it on your couch.

I wish I could be more helpful and describe it better but I feel a bit too ill at the moment to go more in depth, I can try and answer any other questions you may have if the above was not good enough.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

insidius posted:

A sale eh, drat. I paid full price for it about a week ago.

I only picked it up as it offers the ability for some lounge room co-op, I bought it for PS4. There is still enough content for it to be worth it I would say and the current update from the developers is that the console versions should see the remainder of 1.2.4 by the end of the year. As far as I can tell from their update schedule you are looking at being able to have 1.3 or even just some of 1.3
in about 11 months give or take.

It plays well enough and you can zoom in or out while playing which is neat. However I found the controls for me very fiddly.

It has a "smart" control system and a sort of emulated mouse mode that you can use. The smart mode is supposed to be able to intelligently open doors, interact with items and chests etc. However I find it does not work well a lot of the time if there is more than one item to be interacted with in the area. This often means you are forced to switch over to the manual controls often and then back
to smart controls. It becomes annoying after a time.

Also as it lacks the ability to quick stack simply from your inventory to any nearby chests and instead requires you to open each chest, it really slows down any sorting of goods or utilisation of storage. In fact I find dealing with storage full stop in the console game to be very frustrating.

If you are willing to deal with less content, the occasionally fiddly controls there is still a lot of fun to be had there in co op or even just the ability for you to lounge it on your couch.

I wish I could be more helpful and describe it better but I feel a bit too ill at the moment to go more in depth, I can try and answer any other questions you may have if the above was not good enough.

No, this helps - you've actually helped me decide to not buy it. That's not a bad thing, by the way. I do not care about multiplayer and my two biggest concerns - lack of content (with no additions coming anytime soon) and fiddly controls - are apparently fully justified.

Terraria has the graphic quality of an SNES game. Also not a criticism, as I think that the game is beautiful, but that means that you don't need a $2000 machine to run it. Honestly, I would do better to save my $6, hook my best laptop up to my big LED telly via my extra HDMI cable, and play with my arse on the floor with my Nostromo and my wireless mouse on the coffee table.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 24, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Terraria probably has one content update in it until Otherworld drops.

e:reading comprehension fail.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 24, 2015

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

JustJeff88 posted:

I would do better to save my $6, hook my best laptop up to my big LED telly via my extra HDMI cable, and play with my arse on the floor with my Nostromo and my wireless mouse on the coffee table.

Yeah it is the conclusion I came too after spending a few hours with it.

Not only that but I forgot to mention in my first post that at least in multiplayer both I and my friend were experiencing pretty bad frame rate drops in the corruption. I was quite surprised because its not
exactly the most graphically demanding game ever and I had always figured stability in all cases was an advantage of consoles but apparently not.

In the end we just stopped playing the PS4 version and went back to the PC version, much better.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I was hyped up until I realized that Otherworld is like a side-scrolling ARPG instead of a constructive murder simulator. :/

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The deal-killer for me in Otherworld is tower-defense aspects in base construction.

yes the most creative genre of mid-2000 indie flash game my favorite.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

FluffySquirrel posted:

I wouldn't rely on that actually, it did for me. First time I fought it and led it to a nearby granite biome.. no real issues other than I lost.

Second time I did the same in a bigger granite one and it went full on rage mode and tore me to pieces in a few seconds. I suspect it has to have a certain amount of jungle around it or something.

Yeah. I tried to lure Plantera into the granite biome, and as soon as I got a certain distance in it freaked out and ate my face. It calmed down somewhat when I moved back towards the jungle, then berserked again and finished me off when I moved back towards the middle. When I came back to pick up my money and gravestone I noticed that the music changed back to the caverns theme when I got far enough in, which I hadn't noticed when I was setting up. :v:

RatHat posted:

No, it enrages if you take it out the jungle biome or bring it aboveground. Granite biomes are like a sub-biome so they still count as whatever biome they're generated in.
Not necessarily, apparently if the granite section is large enough it reverts to the standard cavern biome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bluhman posted:

The deal-killer for me in Otherworld is tower-defense aspects in base construction.

I saw that it looked ugly and just went "welp" myself.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Bluhman posted:

To be honest, I'd really like some automated turrets for my home base in Terraria. Maybe have them be manned by NPCs or something.

Maybe you could buy or craft a sort of "gun mount" that you placed a weapon in and if you put ammo in it or a nearby chest, or something, NPCs could use it. I'd probably just end up getting a bunch of Rocket Launchers loaded with IVs and trigger an invasion just to see how destroyed everything would get though. :unsmigghh:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

watho posted:

To be honest, I'd really like some automated turrets for my home base in Terraria. Maybe have them be manned by NPCs or something.

Maybe you could buy or craft a sort of "gun mount" that you placed a weapon in and if you put ammo in it or a nearby chest, or something, NPCs could use it. I'd probably just end up getting a bunch of Rocket Launchers loaded with IVs and trigger an invasion just to see how destroyed everything would get though. :unsmigghh:

Get some traps from the temple, put them near the entrance of your base, then wire them up to a pressure plate and maybe a timer. If you want you can even actuate them so they won't block your path.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Put actuator on a trap tile, actuate it, then remove the actuator and the trap will remain forever in the background. (If you leave the actuator, it'll wink in and out each time it's activated since the actuator will get the same wire signal the trap itself does). One good thing to do is to put several dart traps in a line, put them in the background so that they don't block each other's shot, and use a statue-spawned monster such as a skeleton to run through a series of pressure plates and activate them all in sequence. This way you can get rapid fire on a single line, walking around the dart traps' long pause time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It's not that I want base defense systems, it's that I want to have auto-turrets shooting rockets at any unfortunate creature that wanders near my houses.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

watho posted:

It's not that I want base defense systems, it's that I want to have auto-turrets shooting rockets at any unfortunate creature that wanders near my houses.
This.
And I was expecting Expert mode to have mobs that would attack your fortifications or at least an event that would do so.

That way there would have been an entire minigame involving the defense of your NPC town: giving mechanical purpose to terrain destruction/building and trap design.

It's a design waste too, because goblin army and pirate invasion would have been perfect variations of home defense.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

This.
And I was expecting Expert mode to have mobs that would attack your fortifications or at least an event that would do so.

That way there would have been an entire minigame involving the defense of your NPC town: giving mechanical purpose to terrain destruction/building and trap design.

It's a design waste too, because goblin army and pirate invasion would have been perfect variations of home defense.
They had that sort of when clowns used to be able to demolish your base with explosions and it was decidedly not fun.

A trigger-able one might be fine, but gently caress the old clown mechanic. Anytime one appeared on screen I had to bee-line to it before it started raining destruction on my home.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

They had that sort of when clowns used to be able to demolish your base with explosions and it was decidedly not fun.

A trigger-able one might be fine, but gently caress the old clown mechanic. Anytime one appeared on screen I had to bee-line to it before it started raining destruction on my home.

It would need a balance pass of course. They could have easily done things like a pirate mob that deploys a cannon which glows for a few seconds before firing an explosive that would damage the walls.

I could see how it would be unfun if the flying pirate ship just rained death upon a fort, but a happy medium could actually provide a challenge without exercising frustration from a bomb happy mob.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

Get some traps from the temple, put them near the entrance of your base, then wire them up to a pressure plate and maybe a timer. If you want you can even actuate them so they won't block your path.

Can the temple no longer spawn flamethrower traps or did I simply manage to make a world without any?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can the temple no longer spawn flamethrower traps or did I simply manage to make a world without any?

It's very possible to get a temple without flame traps. I've never seen more than 3 in any given temple and I've seen 0 several times.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mailer posted:

I am not a creative person. Beauty only exists in the glorious efficiency of a murder trap. People like me should never get access to a DCU. I've got gigantic holes in my swiss cheese world now.

Occasionally I start a small world with the intent of razing it. The DCU will not be helpful in stopping that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I finally managed to kill the Moon Lord by surrendering my honor and fighting him on a non-Expert map. Now I have 22 luminite bars, and no idea what to make with them. It's not enough to make a whole armor set, or the DCU, but I don't really want a partial armor set or any of the tools. I guess I just gotta kill him some more!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

I finally managed to kill the Moon Lord by surrendering my honor and fighting him on a non-Expert map. Now I have 22 luminite bars, and no idea what to make with them. It's not enough to make a whole armor set, or the DCU, but I don't really want a partial armor set or any of the tools. I guess I just gotta kill him some more!

I finally did it (on softcore :mad: ) but an Expert map but by cheesing the gently caress out of it with a map-wide sky-rail that had bumpers at each end. You can too!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

I finally did it (on softcore :mad: ) but an Expert map but by cheesing the gently caress out of it with a map-wide sky-rail that had bumpers at each end. You can too!

poo poo, this works? Because I already have a map-wide sky rail for quick movement purposes. I'm not even on expert.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blackheart posted:

poo poo, this works? Because I already have a map-wide sky rail for quick movement purposes. I'm not even on expert.

Yeah it was like 10+ minutes of just throwing a Daybreak backwards at various heights and occasionally re-applying buff potions or quaffing health potions. Super boring but effective.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JustJeff88 posted:

I've only ever played the PS4 version, but so far it's pretty kickass. Right now I'm expanding my giant mega-base and prepping to murder Plantera. It's missing a lot of content from 1.3 for now, but I haven't noticed any issues with the smart cursor. As long as you don't have two switches literally touching one another it always gets the right one for me, since you can direct it with your left thumbstick. The controls feel nice and snappy, the zoom in/out feature is great for building (and realizing you missed one line of back walls), and between take all/dump all/stack all I haven't had any inventory issues. Most of my expeditions result in me bringing back stuff to sell, plant/animal parts, ores, or consumables, and I've got my chests set up and organized so it takes about 5 seconds to dump everything where I want it to be. Plus I can empty out a chest, move it, and refill it in like 3 seconds flat.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
block destruction in invasions would be fine with an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

There's no shame in playing softcore. Terraria really isn't fair enough to play with permadeath and mediumcore is just more annoying.