Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

14 INCH SLIT posted:

My dad saw some stupid old Ford out on a drive, I bet it doesn't even have AC. Bet hed take a grand for it.

Nice. I've seen that car in that parking lot before. (Or one like it, if that's not Sky Londa.)

dema fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sorry I'm apparently responsible for the death of photography for paying $8 for the only picture of my wife driving.

Why didn't she get to drive the Porsche too?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, it just happened that while I was here in SoCal, El Segundo had their annual Main Street Car Show. I took a whole mess of pictures, and they're all at http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/california/carshow/ in humongous size.

Here's a sampler, though:

Jeeps:

ACVW:

(I have never seen Type 34 before, until now)

Doesn't look like an ACVW?
Well, it is, sorta:

(Autobianchi Bianchina w/ ACVW transplant.)

Look closely at the wheels and suspension.

:smug:

(I cheated - that one actually has a Corvair flat-6)

There were more ACVWs. Go look at the gallery.

Non-ACVW German things:

British things:

British-American things:

Italian things:

(Fiat Dino - how many of those have you ever seen?)

(Real!)

Hey, there's that Mondial cabrio I spotted in Redondo Beach last weekend!

Trucks:

American things:

A Fiero that's still a Fiero! Other than the lambo doors and questionable taste in wheels, very clean and detailed. There was another one, also yellow, that was a bit more stock, but also had lambo doors.

Cop cars!:

Deuce roadster with a 1UZ:

Look at this old girl:

Two guesses what this is:

Lots more in the gallery. Bunches of American iron from all eras. I didn't take too many pictures of Camaros, Corvettes, or '57 Chevys (but lots of '55s and a few '56s), because they don't really excite me. I mean, I'd drive the hell out of one, but they're at EVERY show. I didn't take very many Mustangs, either, for the same reason. There were even two or three Datsun 1600 Roadsters there - only Japanese stuff I saw. Apologies for the lens flares and such - the sun was really damned bright, I am nothing resembling a pro photog, and I'm using an iPhone/potato.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wait, they made a convertible interceptor? how does that not turn itself into a pretzel at every street light?

That LS1 XJC is pretty much what dreams are made of.

ed: that dual cowl packard is probably worth about 300 grand. amazing to see it just out on the street.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 24, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Wait, they made a convertible interceptor? how does that not turn itself into a pretzel at every street light?

So you're new to the whole british 'engineering' thing I see.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Man that slab side Lincoln is incredible.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about old Bugattis, but that one doesn't seem to have the positive camber that a lot of those old cars do. What's going on with it? Looks like maybe it has 5- or 6-lug wheels, and the spin on nut is decorative?

Maybe you didn't get a chance to talk to the owner, but is that a repro or a kit car of some sort?

Great pictures.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Two guesses what this is:

Lots more in the gallery. Bunches of American iron from all eras. I didn't take too many pictures of Camaros, Corvettes, or '57 Chevys (but lots of '55s and a few '56s), because they don't really excite me. I mean, I'd drive the hell out of one, but they're at EVERY show. I didn't take very many Mustangs, either, for the same reason. There were even two or three Datsun 1600 Roadsters there - only Japanese stuff I saw. Apologies for the lens flares and such - the sun was really damned bright, I am nothing resembling a pro photog, and I'm using an iPhone/potato.

Although I realize it does nothing for the drivetrain or the crappy interior, those aftermarket front quarterpanels/headlamps sure make the PT Loser look a lot nicer, stick-on chrome vents or no.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

angryhampster posted:

Man that slab side Lincoln is incredible.

That's the one which made me go "holy gently caress"

It's perfect.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OK time to finally photo dump some of these Le Mans photos I took this year!
detaily bits in one post, racing pics in the next.

P1050580.jpg

P1050584.jpg

P1050594.jpg

P1050605.jpg

P1050607.jpg

P1050609.jpg

P1050627.jpg

P1050637.jpg
(Don't know who this guy is, but he looked important!)

P1050638.jpg

P1050649.jpg

P1050673.jpg

P1050674.jpg

P1050681.jpg

P1050694.jpg

P1050698.jpg

P1050701.jpg

P1050717.jpg

P1050730.jpg

P1050733.jpg

P1050736.jpg

P1050746.jpg

P1050749.jpg

P1050761.jpg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

On to the race!

P1050824.jpg

P1050830.jpg

P1050858.jpg

P1050928.jpg

P1050955.jpg

P1050993.jpg

P1060032.jpg

P1060265.jpg

P1060266.jpg

P1060286.jpg

P1060299.jpg

P1060301.jpg
So happy!!!

P1060314.jpg
LMP1 cars are hard to photograph!

P1060315.jpg

P1060318.jpg

P1060414.jpg

P1060425.jpg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

parting shot

P1060496.jpg

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about old Bugattis, but that one doesn't seem to have the positive camber that a lot of those old cars do. What's going on with it? Looks like maybe it has 5- or 6-lug wheels, and the spin on nut is decorative?

Maybe you didn't get a chance to talk to the owner, but is that a repro or a kit car of some sort?

Great pictures.

There's a reason it's grouped in with the ACVWs with the notation to look closely at the suspension and wheel (mounting). It's a VW.

There were a lot of nice cars. Took up like 5 blocks of Main Street, both sides. I'm really glad I lucked into being at the right place at the right time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bennyfactor posted:

Although I realize it does nothing for the drivetrain or the crappy interior, those aftermarket front quarterpanels/headlamps sure make the PT Loser look a lot nicer, stick-on chrome vents or no.

A for effort. Did you also notice that it had been converted into a 2-door sedan delivery? A fair amount of work for all the mods.

e: kid of sad that it's still a PTC after all that.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I like how the Porsche appears to be very surprised about taking that corner.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

:swoon: dat AMX

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Leather Bear posted:

:3:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
going back to the tractor pullers, I'm disappointed none of you posted the most AI puller picture

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I really liked that one. Nicely done. Really clean and tastefully modified. There's an engine bay pic in my gallery if you didn't look already.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I really liked that one. Nicely done. Really clean and tastefully modified. There's an engine bay pic in my gallery if you didn't look already.

Yeah, dang. Edelbrock heads, and... is that a fuel rail I spy down there? :aaa:

Looks like he threw the Edelbrock catalog at it. I like how clean it is, and that it's not a SBC swap.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
Saw my first wild Mustang with awesome Shelby colour scheme too. Won't be the last either since Ford is going to import them to Australia by the end of this year for a drive away price of 45k. There's also a grey Chevy Camaro at a dealership down the road from me, but you guys probably see them every day.

Edit: Forgot link - http://tinyurl.com/oczzgwp

Coleridge49 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 25, 2015

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Leather Bear posted:

:haw:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Enourmo posted:

Fun fact (that I learned from an AgentJayZ video recently): those civilian jet engines aren't allowed to run variable nozzles like military jets do. The nozzles are fixed and tuned for max thrust at full afterburner, meaning they generate essentially no thrust at idle. That's what the popping of the burners is before they launch, they're blipping them in order to have thrust at all and move up for staging.

So those big fancy military turbojet engines are basically just acting as gigantic gas generators for the afterburners.
It would be neat to have this strapped to an LMP car and let loose on a circuit.

http://i.imgur.com/2JuTufL.webm

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Coleridge49 posted:

Saw my first wild Mustang with awesome Shelby colour scheme too. Won't be the last either since Ford is going to import them to Australia by the end of this year for a drive away price of 45k. There's also a grey Chevy Camaro at a dealership down the road from me, but you guys probably see them every day.

Yeah blue/white Mustangs are pretty much like Camrys around here which is funny because it's sitting there behind some kind of ute which I've never seen in my life. The last ute if it qualifies that I saw was an old El Camino probably a year ago. And I remember seeing a Subaru Baja in the 2000's.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

QR Coded pistons. It really is the future, holy poo poo.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why didn't she get to drive the Porsche too?

She drove it to/from the rental place (almost 6 miles round trip) and it scared the hell out of her.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Just found out about these:

:krad:

And this:

The "McRae" sticker, Oz wheels, WRC Focus cockpit, Martini livery... Ford you're so beautifully full of poo poo :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Forza 4 had a Supervan in the Top Gear car pack as well, though it was a newer model than the Martini one.

I forget who it was, but one of the F4 Goons made that livery for me way back when the game was still huge and we had a regular crew playing it. That van was fuckin' fun.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

davebo posted:

Yeah blue/white Mustangs are pretty much like Camrys around here which is funny because it's sitting there behind some kind of ute which I've never seen in my life. The last ute if it qualifies that I saw was an old El Camino probably a year ago. And I remember seeing a Subaru Baja in the 2000's.

its a holden commodore ute

Coleridge49 posted:

There's also a grey Chevy Camaro at a dealership down the road from me, but you guys probably see them every day.

QLD plates everywhere, theres a place on the northside of brisbane called SCD that has a collection of camaro's, challengers, mustangs and the big fuckoff murica dodge and ford trucks

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

T1g4h posted:

Forza 4 had a Supervan in the Top Gear car pack as well, though it was a newer model than the Martini one.

I forget who it was, but one of the F4 Goons made that livery for me way back when the game was still huge and we had a regular crew playing it. That van was fuckin' fun.
The train liveries and CHOO CHOO!

I loved my time with Forza 4. Why did I have to move away to a time zone that doesn't let me play with GTCC. :saddowns: Pretty much any screenshot or video from those races is awesome car AI poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

LiquidRain posted:

The train liveries and CHOO CHOO!

I loved my time with Forza 4. Why did I have to move away to a time zone that doesn't let me play with GTCC. :saddowns: Pretty much any screenshot or video from those races is awesome car AI poo poo.

The amount of dumb gimmick stuff that went on in that game was amazing.

Stock Cadillacs on Le Mans!

Muscle car spec races!

Stock Datsun 510s!

Themed Country Squires!

And the almighty Goonbus :allears:

God I miss those days.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

T1g4h posted:

The amount of dumb gimmick stuff that went on in that game was amazing.

And the almighty Goonbus :allears:

God I miss those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7CjNhW0ag4

Forza 3 Large Veyron Collider.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

QLD plates everywhere, theres a place on the northside of brisbane called SCD that has a collection of camaro's, challengers, mustangs and the big fuckoff murica dodge and ford trucks

If that's the place in Strathpine that's replaced the Torque Ford on Southpine Rd then we are talking about the same joint. Always thinking about stopping and checking that place out for poo poo's in gigs.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Nope - Sandgate Rd Virginia... next to AllJap

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

Nope - Sandgate Rd Virginia... next to AllJap

Well I went and checked out this joint anyway, it's actually called Platinum Vehicle Sales. That 2013 Camaro is right hand drive which I thought was interesting, what I found less interesting is that it's $83,500.

They also have a line-up of left hand drive El Camino utes with a Brown'76 Silverado C10 in the back there.

They also have a shitload of imported Skylines for some reason, because some idiot probably thought we are low on those.

Old Mate salesman said everything they got is on their website.
http://platinumvehicles.com.au/

Coleridge49 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 26, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
vol...vo?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

:swoon:

I've been trying to figure out what it is. It has the front of a 164, but I don't think they made a 164 coupe. The Wiki page has this to say about the 164:

"Because of the shared components between the 140 and 164, several private parties have constructed station wagon and 2-door hardtop versions with 164 front ends. From the cowl rearward, body sheetmetal is identical with the exception of the remote shifter transmission tunnel, which was added to the 140 series in 1972. The front of the 164 was extended 60 cm and the wheelbase gained 10 cm to accommodate the length of the 6-cylinder engine.

So maybe it's that?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's a BMW with Volvo 164 grille, headlights, and taillights. The craftsmanship is pretty good but otherwise meh. Stick it on a modern Volvo chassis if you're going to that much trouble.

The guy did a ton of work though:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kulmamies/library/Volvo%20162?sort=2&page=1

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 26, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I mean this as a compliment when I say that looks a lot like a Bristol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:toot: