Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not so sure of that. Internet anonymity is one of the earliest qualities since the net's inception. Taking away something like that when so far internet regulation has been torched and trashed every time corportations try to get it through congress, may take something more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

This sounds extremely dubious, since I'm sure if such a DMCA provision existed then Megaupload would still be around.

Here we go, 17 USC § 512(b): https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/512

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Though do recall that even if the law is on your side, that doesn't prevent a court case from happening, nor does it ensure the court case is speedy. Even if you're completely in the right, a bunch of rich companies who can fund lawyers for years can bleed you dry through sheer attrition with back to back lawsuits. Sure, Google Alphabet is a rich company, but does it have the resources to fight off Sony AND Nintendo AND Viacom AND Fox etc etc? Acquiescing to their demands makes the most sense, because they can throw a legal temper tantrum and cause real financial hardship.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 24, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, SOPA didn't get torched at first--pretty much only one guy inside congress and Google on the outside got enough people upset that it faltered and collapsed very near the finish line. And the media companies were new at writing that kind of legislation back then. They've been spending the last four years learning and spreading their influence so that the next one will be harder to fight. And they're ok with losing that one too, so long as they're able to try again and again until they get what they want.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

This sounds extremely dubious, since I'm sure if such a DMCA provision existed then Megaupload would still be around.

Stuff like this is probably what's going to spell the end of internet anonymity. I think we're probably less than 10 years out from the majority of mainstream sites requiring a unified real-name-based login. You're seeing it already with Facebook login being an option in more and more places, and if internet harassment continues to escalate as an issue, it will eventually just be something that people want.

I can see a number of reasons to not want that. One, a unified login across a number of websites creates a major security hole. It's bad enough when a major company gets hacked like a bank and online passwords are compromised. Also, what do you do for people who have names like John Smith? I also see where the enforcement of this could be an issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, a unified login would only last as far as the first big database hack, or news story of "THEY TOOK MY UNIFIED ACCOUNT AND I LOST EVERYTHING! :qq:" before going down the toilet. Facebook might offer a login for everything, but that doesnt mean people are actually using it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And yet I can see it happening anyway because when it comes to the internet, the general public has a remarkable lack of foresight/hindsight.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

That’s for cached content. YouTube is governed by 17 USC § 512(c), and they developed Content ID to protect them from claims that they are “aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is present” in violation of 17 USC § 512(c)(1)(A)(ii), and to protect them from claims that they are “receiv[ing] a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity” in violation of 17 USC § 512(c)(1)(B).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

I can see a number of reasons to not want that. One, a unified login across a number of websites creates a major security hole. It's bad enough when a major company gets hacked like a bank and online passwords are compromised. Also, what do you do for people who have names like John Smith? I also see where the enforcement of this could be an issue.

I'm not saying that there aren't issues with it, I'm just saying that it's in corporate interests, and some grassroots interests, so it will probably happen.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

echopapa posted:

That’s for cached content. YouTube is governed by 17 USC § 512(c), and they developed Content ID to protect them from claims that they are “aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is present” in violation of 17 USC § 512(c)(1)(A)(ii), and to protect them from claims that they are “receiv[ing] a financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity” in violation of 17 USC § 512(c)(1)(B).

Aha, all right; thanks for the correction!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Now that Maker has "replaced" Blip, how many people have migrated over there?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks, I couldn't stop laughing at the grand reveal in your latest review. Great work man.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

DStecks, I couldn't stop laughing at the grand reveal in your latest review. Great work man.

(you're talking about the reveal of Chris-Chan's metre-long penis, right?)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised you didn't include this video in your review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoattvuAvNg.

The beginning is one of the saddest and pathetic things ever.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BigRed0427 posted:

Folding Ideas has all his stuff up on YouTube now, Go watch him! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCyNtlmLB73-7gtlBz00XOQQ

That link leads to a dead end.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

DStecks posted:

John Holmes would tell CWC not to whip that out.

Also, Kudos to whoever does your title cards. Poor Ivy.

Dstecks, your statement about how Chris' parents failed her might be the understatement of the year. It's really depressing all the ways that Bob and Barbara's parenting have negatively shaped how Chris is today.

Anyway, how many episodes are you planning for the final issue? I am anticipating it with baited breath.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Well, I just spent ten minutes physically screaming over half that video thanks to learning about Chris's "natural recipe".

Thanks DStecks.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Anyway, how many episodes are you planning for the final issue? I am anticipating it with baited breath.

Three, the first one is up on my Patreon.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

(Overall about 2% of videos are missing, though some critics like Benzaie were hit harder and have around 5% missing.)

Whatever happened to Benzaie? I remember him being one of the more prominent CA guys in the early going, but I haven't heard anything about him in years (and I don't visit CA any more, I mainly just follow Todd now). Is he still around?

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
From vague memory, I think he's another one that CA fired without him knowing about it. Or something like that, I know he was fired at least.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

From what I can tell, he didn't post any video to TGWTG since 2013 and I guess when they changed the website they didn't bother to include him.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

KKall posted:

I hate to self-promote on this forum, but I just want to say that I'm very very proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH-E3LsLnaw

Great review. The idea that a language could lack a "to be" verb is ludicrous to me.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

surf rock posted:

Great review. The idea that a language could lack a "to be" verb is ludicrous to me.

I'll get into that more in the next video, but it's more than possible. The concept of "being" is a very complex thing, as in "there's an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to it" complex. So it kind of makes sense that different languages would have different subtle ways of conveying essence, condition, relation, occurrence, and all of the other things wrapped up in the definition of the word.

Like, a common one is a phenomenon called "zero copula." Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_copula

Plenty of smaller languages have ways of showing relation between words without using a separate "be" word. Often languages that do have words meaning "to be" like Russian and Arabic omit the "be" in the present tense.

English does it too! Think of that one Drake song. Standard English would say, "Now we are here!" or in its contracted form, "Now we're here!" but the meaning is still conveyed when Drake leaves out the "are" in the lyric. "Started from the bottom, now we here!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob has a new television program length video talking about why National Lampoon's Vacation and how it's the greatest thing in existence. Honestly, what is the loving point of these videos? If the films are "Really that good" as the title purports, most people know they're good and why they're good. What new insight is Bob going to give apart from orgasming for a half hour about how great his childhood movies were?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Mraagvpeine posted:

From what I can tell, he didn't post any video to TGWTG since 2013 and I guess when they changed the website they didn't bother to include him.

He posted plenty, including a movie he made. He's been hugely successful on Youtube, and he's been on acting French TV. Benzaie is actually the most successful person to come out of TGWTG.

And yes, CA fired him without telling him. I'm pretty sure he found out they dropped him through someone else. It might've been Mike mentioned it on skype offhandedly to the other producers. Their reasoning was, apparently, he didn't post enough content. Except, of course, for all the content he posted, including a movie.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 25, 2015

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

He posted plenty, including a movie he made. He's been hugely successful on Youtube, and he's been on acting French TV. Benzaie is actually the most successful person to come out of TGWTG.

And yes, CA fired him without telling him. I'm pretty sure he found out they dropped him through someone else. It might've been Mike mentioned it on skype offhandedly to the other producers. Their reasoning was, apparently, he didn't post enough content. Except, of course, for all the content he posted, including a movie.

That's very interesting! Thank you.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

And yes, CA fired him without telling him.

TGWTG.txt right here.

I'm happy for Benzaie, he was a really funny guy and I liked his stuff.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Moviebob has a new television program length video talking about why National Lampoon's Vacation and how it's the greatest thing in existence. Honestly, what is the loving point of these videos? If the films are "Really that good" as the title purports, most people know they're good and why they're good. What new insight is Bob going to give apart from orgasming for a half hour about how great his childhood movies were?

Dunno, I could tell you why that movie is awesome in like a 5 minutes or less video, and not spoil a single thing. That's all that's needed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

I did not know that. I was looking at his Blip page during the last month and saw the most recent video was from 2013. I'm going to look for his YouTube channel then.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I have six hours of electricity per day now, which is enough to record and post Cheapskate Live! So here’s the newest episode, in which Sursum Ursa and I watch a Star Wars fan film about Mara Jade.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Call me uncultured swill, but I don't mind the "Really That Good" series. There's something to be said for not having to feign hating everything. I think he's probably attempting to turn the reviewer format around by dissecting good pieces, which, like you said, don't necessarily have as many easy targets as bad works. Now, you are right that he's so far been picking only works he's already familiar with. It would be an improvement to see him look at some more modern works that us fogeys-in-waiting will poo-poo when the drat kids get older.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KKall posted:

I'll get into that more in the next video, but it's more than possible. The concept of "being" is a very complex thing, as in "there's an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to it" complex. So it kind of makes sense that different languages would have different subtle ways of conveying essence, condition, relation, occurrence, and all of the other things wrapped up in the definition of the word.

Like, a common one is a phenomenon called "zero copula." Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_copula

Plenty of smaller languages have ways of showing relation between words without using a separate "be" word. Often languages that do have words meaning "to be" like Russian and Arabic omit the "be" in the present tense.

English does it too! Think of that one Drake song. Standard English would say, "Now we are here!" or in its contracted form, "Now we're here!" but the meaning is still conveyed when Drake leaves out the "are" in the lyric. "Started from the bottom, now we here!"

Linguists making conlangs have a weird fetish for zero copula languages. I think they see it as a challenge (though real zero copula languages exist).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Call me uncultured swill, but I don't mind the "Really That Good" series. There's something to be said for not having to feign hating everything. I think he's probably attempting to turn the reviewer format around by dissecting good pieces, which, like you said, don't necessarily have as many easy targets as bad works. Now, you are right that he's so far been picking only works he's already familiar with. It would be an improvement to see him look at some more modern works that us fogeys-in-waiting will poo-poo when the drat kids get older.

:agreed:, Really That Good strikes me as a more low brow version of KKall's stuff, except while BHH tries to give equal treatment and find meaning even in stuff he doesn't like, MovieBob's been sticking strictly to his favorite movies so far. I think part of it is that he wants to look at older movies that have stood the test of time and have built up a ton of hype and reputation, but it would do him some good to move out of his comfort zone.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Miss Wallace posted:

apparently, he didn't post enough content. Except, of course, for all the content he posted, including a movie.

This has always seemed like completely arbitrairy bullshit to me. I get letting somebody go because they're not producing stuff, but it's not consistant at all. Exactly how long was Luke Mochrie kept on the site after he stopped producing content ? I wanna say one to two years. Hell, if you look at the site now, Sci-fi Guy's last video on CA was October 29th 2014. I'm not advocating getting rid of him, I like his stuff, just denouncing CA's laughable management.

I think the way it went with Benzaie was people told him on Twitter his stuff wasn't on the new CA site after the TGWTG migration. He said he'd confront them at some convention in the States, but I didn't see if he ever did or what came of that.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Miss Wallace posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( Just one more reason why I hate CA. :mad: I actually enjoyed Benzaie's movie, and Hard Corner was one of the only things I watched regularly on Blistered Thumbs when it was around.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If anyone wanted to take me up on my offer of sharing videos I now have a catalog that I can share: https://2by2.info/blip-saved.html (Warning: this page is huge and may freeze your browser for a few seconds when you open it.) If you want a specific video, please e-mail me (to my forums user name at outlook.com) with the video ID.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Outlook? in 2015?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

DoctorWhat posted:

Outlook? in 2015?

It's my backup e-mail. :)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Bad Wolf posted:

This has always seemed like completely arbitrairy bullshit to me. I get letting somebody go because they're not producing stuff, but it's not consistant at all. Exactly how long was Luke Mochrie kept on the site after he stopped producing content ? I wanna say one to two years. Hell, if you look at the site now, Sci-fi Guy's last video on CA was October 29th 2014. I'm not advocating getting rid of him, I like his stuff, just denouncing CA's laughable management.

I think the way it went with Benzaie was people told him on Twitter his stuff wasn't on the new CA site after the TGWTG migration. He said he'd confront them at some convention in the States, but I didn't see if he ever did or what came of that.

Honestly, it's just a stock reason they like to give when they get petty about something and want to get rid of someone. They said they got rid of Mike Dodd without telling him for the same reason, even though he literally did a daily show. They probably would have said the same thing about me if I hadn't been in a chat with a bunch of other people. They sure do love sweeping stuff under the rug.

I think they got rid of Ben because he had the gall to ask them to pay his girlfriend for use of her artwork on special edition DVDs, since she'd only agreed to have her stuff used on the initial DVD release. Why anyone wants a tin of To Boldly Flee for like $40 is anyone's guess, but there ya go. Especially when it comes to money, Mike gets super pissy if he's confronted. He's the same guy who wanted to pocket the money for cameramen on Pop Quiz Hotshot.

I think "didn't post enough content" is one of their favorite meaningless phrases next to "two weeks," which is the only estimate they ever give for when something will (and we most assuredly know won't) come out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man I can't wait til The Oral History of Channel Awesome comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man I can't wait til The Oral History of Channel Awesome comes out.

All you need to do is rip a fart into a microphone then render it out.

~Fin~

• Locked thread