Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FadedReality posted:

I played it almost exclusively any time I had free from the moment it hit Android until two days later when I made that post. My main takeaway after ~7 hours sunk into my vault was how obnoxious it is that it notifies you literally as you close it that you should come back and collect this water and that power. It's watching timers tick down so you can fill a bar for a quest that gives you a lunchbox which might have a thing that helps with the timers and the bars.

I grabbed the save after this as I wanted to see how it felt to have $400 worth of IAP and turns out it removes the waiting, which is all there is. Like others have said, too much babysitting to be a good TT clone, not enough to do to be a clicker. Just feels bland and IAP taking even the thing that makes you an active participant? Not for me.
If you're that upset about notifications... Turn them off? I'm impressed that you feel that it's more bland than a nimblebit game. Bethesda makes garbage, confirmed..? You do realize that it's an adver-game to tease the upcoming release of a very popular IP - which you seem to very much not have any connection to, which is probably half why it's so bland to you - you miss in-jokes during character conversations, special characters you recognize from the other games, etc.

Not really sure what kind of waiting you were doing, sounds like you had a pretty poor setup or you were pushing your population up too rapidly and thus had to spend a ton of time scratching to keep your food/water/elec levels above redlining, probably.

If a room is not vertically or horizontally touching another room, fires and vermin won't spread and will just go away - you even get credit for firefighting missions for it (also, when raiders and poo poo come in, peopel will begin firing at them when they enter the elevator above them, which helps a little.) So put one or two pregnant women and nobody else into some of those rooms that don't need a bunch of people or armed folks, (radaway and stimpacks are a prime example, also radio room if you have a woman with high CHA, and then they'll just flee and wander back in once the problem peters out.) If you were sitting around waiting to collect resources to get money or something.. You get most money by leveling up survivors - you get one cap per level, each time it goes up. The other way to rush build is to do lots of room rushes to get money, but this can get out of hand if you have a lovely room setup.

The first day or two of playing are certainly the toughest, but once you've got close to a radio room you ought to start thinking about rebuilding your shelter - primarily I concentrate on deciding where elevators go (because you can't really easily change them around later without causing some spacing issues that require making several elevators to bridge gaps, and it's hard to remove som rooms without enough early elevator access planned around it), for instance in mine I kinda wish I'd gone 3-3-2 (where hyphens are elevators) so my first line of defense could have six people in it, but they murderate almost everything before it leaves the room, and now that I have an Endurance training area they'll be even more resilient. FYI it is not possible to delete the first elevator room no matter how you build around it, which is mildly annoying.

If you knock up too many women at the same time you'll have problems with invaders and fires etc, although limiting them delivering babies by limiting the number of living rooms you build, helps a great deal at controlling growth and still having instantly-available people to add to the vault if you need 1 or 2 more to get another room, for instance. For purposes of delivering babies is the only reason I'd ever upgrade living quarters, you only get 2 more toward the cap, per room square.. Which means you can really keep population clamped down tightly if you build a few small living rooms instead of a couple huge ones.

Also, whomever it was that said they saw deathclaws show up with radio rooms and thus never built one.. I've had a radio room for a week and never seen one. Raiders did start showing up with laser guns, but that's about it. Frankly molerats in my lower water and power rooms are much worse.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Chill dude, everyone except you is bored of this game.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Actually love Fallout games. Had almost every room available to me at 26 dwellers with three adjoining rooms, most levelled to the max. Had all three bars maxed at all times and a radio room. In my actual vault, not the cheat save one. It just got boring real fast :shrug:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Riot Games recently released a title called Blitzcrank's Poro Roundup.

I don't play League of Legends, but this is a fun little game. It's free with no IAP's but you can only download it until September 21.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
As someone who doesn't ever have a commute, Fallout Shelter has the perfect amount of gameplay of a minute at the most for when I'm waiting for my coffee or whatever. Other idle games like TT or Simpsons or what have you actually are too involved for the minuscule amount time I spend playing games on my phone. The art style and the little outfits and whatnot is charming to me and I don't even like the Fallout games.

What would actually be perfect if they added a live wallpaper function so I can just watch my little survivors drinkin' nuka-cola and getting swole.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

somebody want to field this one? :ohdear:

I've only played 6-7 hours, but it works fine on my Nexus 7.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't play League of Legends, but this is a fun little game. It's free with no IAP's but you can only download it until September 21.

For some reason they've determined that my 2013 N7 isn't powerful enough to run it?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Tactile Wars is an RTS game that came out a few weeks ago that's pretty much Splatoon meets Cannon Fodder, with some Clash of Clans base building thrown in. It's quite fun and very charming.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There's surprisingly a lot of game here for a lighthearted promo thing that's meant to be gone in a month.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 23, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

mrkillboy posted:

Tactile Wars is an RTS game that came out a few weeks ago that's pretty much Splatoon meets Cannon Fodder, with some Clash of Clans base building thrown in. It's quite fun and very charming.
This game is fun. Level 6 with solid defences and I have not hit any paywalls yet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

pappawurm posted:

Just started playing Hay Day and noticed they have "neighborhoods". Seems like its the same thing as a Clans from Clash of Clans. Anyone playing Hay Day or do we have any "neighborhoods" created?

My ex was super into Hayday.

You know how Fallout Shelter is super boring after a day since it's basically just clicking things when the timer runs out? Imagine that except they took out all the challenge of planning or resource management. It's literally impossible for anything bad to happen. If you stop feeding your cows, they'll just hang out until you feel like giving them food again. There's no strategy to it since everything is locked until you hit certain levels and the game tells you it's time to build another pigpen. The entire game is watching little progress bars slowly fill up while it reminds you that a couple of diamonds would speed this right up.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

If you're that upset about notifications... Turn them off? I'm impressed that you feel that it's more bland than a nimblebit game. Bethesda makes garbage, confirmed..? You do realize that it's an adver-game to tease the upcoming release of a very popular IP - which you seem to very much not have any connection to, which is probably half why it's so bland to you - you miss in-jokes during character conversations, special characters you recognize from the other games, etc.

Not really sure what kind of waiting you were doing, sounds like you had a pretty poor setup or you were pushing your population up too rapidly and thus had to spend a ton of time scratching to keep your food/water/elec levels above redlining, probably.

If a room is not vertically or horizontally touching another room, fires and vermin won't spread and will just go away - you even get credit for firefighting missions for it (also, when raiders and poo poo come in, peopel will begin firing at them when they enter the elevator above them, which helps a little.) So put one or two pregnant women and nobody else into some of those rooms that don't need a bunch of people or armed folks, (radaway and stimpacks are a prime example, also radio room if you have a woman with high CHA, and then they'll just flee and wander back in once the problem peters out.) If you were sitting around waiting to collect resources to get money or something.. You get most money by leveling up survivors - you get one cap per level, each time it goes up. The other way to rush build is to do lots of room rushes to get money, but this can get out of hand if you have a lovely room setup.

The first day or two of playing are certainly the toughest, but once you've got close to a radio room you ought to start thinking about rebuilding your shelter - primarily I concentrate on deciding where elevators go (because you can't really easily change them around later without causing some spacing issues that require making several elevators to bridge gaps, and it's hard to remove som rooms without enough early elevator access planned around it), for instance in mine I kinda wish I'd gone 3-3-2 (where hyphens are elevators) so my first line of defense could have six people in it, but they murderate almost everything before it leaves the room, and now that I have an Endurance training area they'll be even more resilient. FYI it is not possible to delete the first elevator room no matter how you build around it, which is mildly annoying.

If you knock up too many women at the same time you'll have problems with invaders and fires etc, although limiting them delivering babies by limiting the number of living rooms you build, helps a great deal at controlling growth and still having instantly-available people to add to the vault if you need 1 or 2 more to get another room, for instance. For purposes of delivering babies is the only reason I'd ever upgrade living quarters, you only get 2 more toward the cap, per room square.. Which means you can really keep population clamped down tightly if you build a few small living rooms instead of a couple huge ones.

Also, whomever it was that said they saw deathclaws show up with radio rooms and thus never built one.. I've had a radio room for a week and never seen one. Raiders did start showing up with laser guns, but that's about it. Frankly molerats in my lower water and power rooms are much worse.

When deathclaws show up it won't matter how you built your rooms since the don't stay long in a single room and move quickly through your base. Base layout isn't as important as equipping everyone with guns.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

mrkillboy posted:

Umm, shouldn't I be getting invaded? Do I have to tie it to a Facebook or something? 1.5 days no invasions...
(Appparently you can lose gold after invasion, but if you fend them off you get rewards and achievements)

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
More :spergin: Fallout Shelter talk.

So awhile back I had a theory about having different leveled but like rooms next to each other for farming rushes, as well as containing failures to a single-room disaster. This got expensive, and wasn't meeting the food/water requirements, so often the diner and purifiers merged into on early on. Plus micro-managing your best room dudes to rush every room 4 times was tedious.

This current game I sent about 6 extra bodies into wasteland early to pick up 1-2 things and recall, while doing the intro objectives to get them out of the way. Course I got busy that evening and forgot to recall the last batch of unarmed vault babies, and 4 of them died, costing me about 200 per dude who only had about 17-50 caps collected. So that kind of strat needs babysitting. Got lucky and one of them brought a plasma pistol home, so that's going to the top dedicated waster.

As far as layout, the plan was 3x3x2, with the extra elevator at the far right if needed. Reading the molerat spawning theory though, it might be just 2x3x1 to avoid the edges, unless the extra elevator blocks the right side edge from spawns. One of the nifty things I saw in a couple of gameplay vids was putting both of one kind of production room on one level as the first two rooms, then putting the SPECIAL training room of that needed type as the 3rd on that row (3x Power, 3x Power, 2x Weight Room, for example). That way you could move the graduated trainees into the production rooms easier, plus making the layout a bit easier in the clutter. Right now the top floor with the door will remain as housing, probably for the entirety, while doing my best to keep pushing extra housing underneath production levels as I expand, probably just buying basic rooms and moving the main elevator as far down as I can, selling and rebuying housing lower as I need more upper level production.

I'm not too sure on the idea of selling the power plant rooms and replacing them with the reactors once I unlock them and have enough scratch, but the efficiency side of my brain is itching to do that.

I kinda wish there was a challenge mode where it took the vault social experiments from Fallout Lore and randomized some of the parameters for your new vault, like "Maintain every day a" "50/50 gender ratio" "Or else a 1x1 room section explodes" or "Sacrifice/Sell every day" "All Outfits" "Or else lose all power stored". Doing it correctly would get you one lunchbox card. Mixing a bit of the dark humor of Fallout and a bit of :psydwarf: would make alternate vaults a bit more "fun".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blitzcrank and Crossy Pacman are both Good Games.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is this Final Fantasy easier than the old NES one? I played it a bunch this morning and got way further than I ever did as a kid.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
My f2p Dragon Quest monsters game invite code is QuXVnnrw, and my friend ID is 355 465 702

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this Final Fantasy easier than the old NES one? I played it a bunch this morning and got way further than I ever did as a kid.

Yup, although it's probably equal parts of them streamlining thing and you being better at games. I played through the PSP remake that I think this is based on and it was a much more pleasurable experience.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Much much easier yes. There is an mp system now but spells are still super stong. So you can fling a lot more power around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just realized I was doing this whole Android-gaming thing wrong; I was skipping past Gems of War talk (a game with gameplay), and paying attention to all of the Fallout Shelter posts (pretty much a non-game). What the hell? :psyduck:

Anyway, downloaded and am really enjoying Gems of War (and deleted FS, so it doesn't tempt me with its nothing), did someone make a thread?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just realized I was doing this whole Android-gaming thing wrong; I was skipping past Gems of War talk (a game with gameplay), and paying attention to all of the Fallout Shelter posts (pretty much a non-game). What the hell? :psyduck:

Anyway, downloaded and am really enjoying Gems of War (and deleted FS, so it doesn't tempt me with its nothing), did someone make a thread?

Yup http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736873&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

Gems of war is the relaxed lovely f2p i have been looking for. I played for a few minutes a day and collect poo poo. But the amount of strategies you can use is pretty crazy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

This game is pretty fun. I'd recommend saving all your coins to get a turret ASAP, they're loving amazing at low levels (I've never blown one up yet without a galting gun merc along for the fight and I'm about to hit 7th level.) Mines are weak, geysers are stupid unless you had them staggered.

Watch a few propaganda videos in the armory to make a bunch of free gold - just turn off the sound and do something else for 30 seconds, boom, 5 gold.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How pay to win is it? Is it one of those games that needs a constant connection?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Blitzcrank and Crossy Pacman are both Good Games.

What's crossy pacman?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

How pay to win is it? Is it one of those games that needs a constant connection?

It doesn't seem p2w yet, though it may be a fuzz at the highest levels of play. As far as constant connections; I grenified it and don't seem to be getting invaded , or at least rewarded for invasions.

What happens when it pops a notification up saying, "your troops need you!" For me it's nothing :(

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Snowmankilla posted:

What's crossy pacman?

Pac-Man 256.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

galahan posted:

It doesn't seem p2w yet, though it may be a fuzz at the highest levels of play. As far as constant connections; I grenified it and don't seem to be getting invaded , or at least rewarded for invasions.

This is what kills so many phone games for me. I really like Monster Strike https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.mixi.monsterstrikeUS
It was super popular when I was in Japan so I jumped on the English version. It's really fun and has great mechanics, but it's just so grindy. Everything is designed to get your money and I felt like I was spending as much time on the connection screen as I was in the game. It's a shame because there's a cool game hidden under the bullshit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr_Amazing posted:

Not sure, I have only run into a couple players who were out of my league and at my level it was literally jsut that they'd bought turrets instead of wasting money on the other 2 or so upgrades leading up before turrets become available.. It reminds me a bit of an oldschool BBS doorgame like Legend of the Red Dragon Inn, Tradewars, etc.. If you don't have backup defensive rigs and someone stomps you, then next time someone hits quick match and sees you, you will be mssing half your defenses and lose even more ranking, even if you still haven't logged back in.

It doesn't seem to mess with your level that much however, I quickly learned to stay THE HELL AWAY FROM anyone a level higher than me before I hit 10th level.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pokemon Shuffle Mobile is out for anyone with access to the Japanese Play Store. Since all the screenshots and text is in English its safe to assume it'll probably be out in the West sometime soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrkillboy posted:

Pokemon Shuffle Mobile is out for anyone with access to the Japanese Play Store. Since all the screenshots and text is in English its safe to assume it'll probably be out in the West sometime soon.

Is this the beginning of Nintendo products on mobile? I don't give a poo poo about Pokemon, but this is important if so.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this the beginning of Nintendo products on mobile? I don't give a poo poo about Pokemon, but this is important if so.

Not exactly. The Pokemon Company is a separate company to Nintendo and they've actually already have a game out on iOS (a port of the PC Pokemon Card Game), though this is certainly the first mobile game to be released that originally was a first party title on a Nintendo console. Nintendo have said their first mobile game (based on one of their own IPs) will be out by the end of this year though.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 24, 2015

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Bootcha posted:

More :spergin: Fallout Shelter talk...

I kinda wish there was a challenge mode where it took the vault social experiments from Fallout Lore and randomized some of the parameters for your new vault, like "Maintain every day a" "50/50 gender ratio" "Or else a 1x1 room section explodes" or "Sacrifice/Sell every day" "All Outfits" "Or else lose all power stored". Doing it correctly would get you one lunchbox card. Mixing a bit of the dark humor of Fallout and a bit of :psydwarf: would make alternate vaults a bit more "fun".

I think what bugs me with Fallout Shelter is that I was fully expecting it to be nothing but a short advert for 4, and to a large extent that's what I got- but it gave me a taste of a game with a lot of potential if it was properly polished and extended. Right now, once you have adequate guns and people to use them all you can really do is fill out/train up your population and that's it, and it leaves me wanting more- give me a fully featured vault sim, throw in mini games, show me my raiding parties in fallout 1/2 style (and let me micro-manage the combat turn by turn), a trading/upgrade/repair system for weapons and outfits e.t.c

I had some good times for a free game though, and I might even manage another playthrough by gifting myself some half-decent guns/characters at the start rather than mashing my thumb through a few dozen lunchboxes for them and ending up cheaty rich.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bethesda said they will keep adding content to the game but yeah I don't think it will make the game more interesting on the long run.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
does anyone here play PSO2es?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm liking Shop Heroes so far. It's basically swords and potions III but unfucked if you've played those games, and I'm kind of liking it as something to do in between tasks at work.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

coyo7e posted:

Not sure, I have only run into a couple players who were out of my league and at my level it was literally jsut that they'd bought turrets instead of wasting money on the other 2 or so upgrades leading up before turrets become available.. It reminds me a bit of an oldschool BBS doorgame like Legend of the Red Dragon Inn, Tradewars, etc.. If you don't have backup defensive rigs and someone stomps you, then next time someone hits quick match and sees you, you will be mssing half your defenses and lose even more ranking, even if you still haven't logged back in.

It doesn't seem to mess with your level that much however, I quickly learned to stay THE HELL AWAY FROM anyone a level higher than me before I hit 10th level.

Game is great, but I am utterly confused on your impression of turrets. They track slow, and if they aren't paired with something else that you've got to dodge around at the same time they're super easy to just walk circles around to kill. So never ever stick them behind a point since then the attacker gets to take them out at their leisure. Also don't stand in front of them when they die the barrel of the gun shooting out the front on death will kill your dudes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

Not exactly. The Pokemon Company is a separate company to Nintendo and they've actually already have a game out on iOS (a port of the PC Pokemon Card Game), though this is certainly the first mobile game to be released that originally was a first party title on a Nintendo console. Nintendo have said their first mobile game (based on one of their own IPs) will be out by the end of this year though.

Yeah, Nintendo announced earlier this year that DeNA (pronounced D. N. A.), publishers of smash hit Final Fantasy Record Keeper, will be publishing mobile games for them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

When I said I wanted Pokemon on my phone I did not mean another loving match-3 game.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

When I said I wanted Pokemon on my phone I did not mean another loving match-3 game.

You could try evocreo. It is a pokemon like game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

Does it, like, download a ton of stuff in the background? Because I get the 4 Pokémon heads loading image, and then it just stops moving.

Edit
So, I had to turn off WiFi (I'm home, so data is automatically off), and let it sit for a minute or so, then I got a connection error. Turned WiFi back on, and tapped Retry, and it connected. Weird.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, Nintendo announced earlier this year that DeNA (pronounced D. N. A.), publishers of smash hit Final Fantasy Record Keeper, will be publishing mobile games for them.

DeNA == Mobage :ssh:

Yeah, that's right, get ready for Nintendo characters in your latest custom-internal-HTML-rendered Japanese gacha shitshow :allears: