Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

It's a track for platforms and other things to move along. You can attach almost anything to it.

oh doy, that makes sense. ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Wait there's no slopes?

- No slopes
- No checkpoints
- No boss-drop victory item

It's also missing certain game specific objects like pulley platforms, the evil sun, etc. I don't think any of them are deal breakers but the top three are pretty big gaps in the toolset

Fungah! posted:

aactually anyone know what that first tool on day 8 on the chart is?

thing says it's called the "track line", whatever that means, but it kkind of looks like a slope tool

I think that's the moving platform line, which you can also place chain chomps, boo circles and other stuff on

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

- No slopes
- No checkpoints
- No boss-drop victory item

These are all things I hope to see added later. Also chain link fences and key exits for SMW levels and Phanto thrown in to guard that key because why not?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Anyone think maybe they're slowly releasing small dlc like with Splatoon? I don't know about slopes, but that would be an easy way to release smaller functionality (like check points), as well as more goofy stuff (here's all the enemies, but they're purple this time and the level flips upside down when you touch one.)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bean posted:

Anyone think maybe they're slowly releasing small dlc like with Splatoon? I don't know about slopes, but that would be an easy way to release smaller functionality (like check points), as well as more goofy stuff (here's all the enemies, but they're purple this time and the level flips upside down when you touch one.)

With how well Splatoon and Smash Bros DLC is going for them I have a feeling Mario Maker DLC is inevitable

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bean posted:

Splatoon-style free DLC seems like a pretty loving safe bet to me. Keeps interest high for longer because if you take a couple weeks off from the game there is almost always something new waiting for you.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bean posted:

Splatoon's additional content was there for easing players in and for keeping players online. Mario Maker doesn't really need people playing it at the same time, and you already have to wait 9 days to unlock everything. I think some large DLC, like Luigi U, is a safe bet, but I doubt they'll pay as much attention to Mario Maker as they do to Splatoon. Otherwise they would've already announced it, and probably added something like contests for best levels.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping there will be DLC, but I don't expect it to contain too many things specific to a particular Mario game. They are trying to stick to more common elements between the games to make it easier to swap between games/level themes. In some cases they needed to create new sprites for a few enemies or tilesets, but a lot of the items in the palette are the same across game styles, with the notable exceptions of Kuribo's Shoe/Yoshi (items you can safely hop on top of enemies with) and the Mystery Mushroom/flying items (leaf, feather, propeller hat). It's the same reason the physics are the same across games. With the exception of a few power-ups, relying on Mario's jumps resulting in the same result makes it easier to swap between game styles without having to rework your levels. As much as I'd loved them to add SMB2 to the game, this is why I am not getting my hopes up as it is just too different of a game.

Slopes would be nice, but as someone mentioned earlier, it takes away the simplicity of the grid. If they add more to the game, I'd imagine it would be along the lines of level themes (night, desert, etc.) and enemies.

RE: Physics, I found this NeoGAF post where someone contrasts the jump arcs between the various games and SMM, showing that it looks like SMM uses the New Super mario Bros. physics, if any of them.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 23, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

People keep saying the physics are the same across games but I thought that pretty much every report says that each game has its original physics? Granted I haven't followed reviews of this much at all but I feel like that was the prevailing consensus.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

FPzero posted:

People keep saying the physics are the same across games but I thought that pretty much every report says that each game has its original physics? Granted I haven't followed reviews of this much at all but I feel like that was the prevailing consensus.

I think the physics are the same but the abilities differ. So SMW Mario can spinjump, NSMB Mario can wall-jump, SMB3 Mario has the flight meter, that kind of stuff.

Enemy behavior also changes, apparently. Most notably Bowser Jr does totally different stuff in different game styles.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The only thing I'd especially like to have in this game is those on/off blocks from smw.

If they're there, or a reasonable facsimile, and I just didn't notice, then gosh I should have noticed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Limitations breed creativity

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they are going to add a metric gently caress ton of items to the game over time

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I need all the features of 4 games :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

VideoGames posted:

Limitations breed creativity

So does a larger tool set.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 24, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

So does a larger tool set.

Well done for completely and utterly missing the point.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

VideoGames posted:

Well done for completely and utterly missing the point.

You do realize that "doesn't understand" and "doesn't agree with" are different things, right? I understand exactly what you meant. I'm just saying that in this case I don't think it's the right opinion.

A game about content creation should give the players as many tools as possible. More tools for creating content is always better, unless adding more of them somehow makes the other stuff less good for some meta reason like developer resources being spread too thin or something. Why is more always better in this case? Because the content creation isn't what you're scored on. It's not the "game" part of the game. There are no stakes in this part. There is no challenge to overcome here. The "game" part of Super Mario Maker is the part where you're controlling Mario and trying to successfully reach the end of the level without dying.

Super Mario Maker actually isn't the game itself. Super Mario Maker is the set of tools level makers will use to create situations where the players work around the limitations imposed on them by the level maker.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 24, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There are enough tools to create very cool levels and that is what important.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If, at any point past the first few trailers, you thought they were going to add almost every aspect of four different games and allow you to recreate and manipulate them in ways that are user-friendly* without bloating it into some absurd monstrosity, I honestly don't know what to say

*Have you ever seen Lunar Magic? Can you imagine that on a console? That poo poo's loving bananas

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Color Printer posted:

If, at any point past the first few trailers, you thought they were going to add almost every aspect of four different games and allow you to recreate and manipulate them in ways that are user-friendly* without bloating it into some absurd monstrosity, I honestly don't know what to say

*Have you ever seen Lunar Magic? Can you imagine that on a console? That poo poo's loving bananas

Lunar Magic for consoles would be horrible.

Level crashes WiiU 0/5 stars.

Level loads up garbage textures.

Level randomly deletes goal-post.

Yoshi's head is replaced by a boo.

The fact that you don't have to worry about memory or texture layout management makes this thing amazing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The process of imagining, constructing and iterating on levels is absolutely intended as the core experience and that doesn't change because you're not being explicitly graded by the program.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Mario Maker is secretly judging you, even when you think it's not looking. If you continue to meet its' exacting standards perhaps someday it will deign to grant you its' most secret unlockable, the coveted slopes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SystemLogoff posted:

Lunar Magic for consoles would be horrible.

Level crashes WiiU 0/5 stars.

Level loads up garbage textures.

Level randomly deletes goal-post.

Yoshi's head is replaced by a boo.

The fact that you don't have to worry about memory or texture layout management makes this thing amazing.

I agree. Even if Lunar Magic is by far the most accessible level editor I've ever encountered, it still has its share of massive limitations. Vertical levels are broken as hell and tilesets and spritesets have big restrictions on them without resorting to custom tilesets.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

You do realize that "doesn't understand" and "doesn't agree with" are different things, right? I understand exactly what you meant. I'm just saying that in this case I don't think it's the right opinion.

A game about content creation should give the players as many tools as possible. More tools for creating content is always better, unless adding more of them somehow makes the other stuff less good for some meta reason like developer resources being spread too thin or something. Why is more always better in this case? Because the content creation isn't what you're scored on. It's not the "game" part of the game. There are no stakes in this part. There is no challenge to overcome here. The "game" part of Super Mario Maker is the part where you're controlling Mario and trying to successfully reach the end of the level without dying.

Super Mario Maker actually isn't the game itself. Super Mario Maker is the set of tools level makers will use to create situations where the players work around the limitations imposed on them by the level maker.

What the gently caress

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this game should have more options. More options are always good. Ideally you should be able to recreate any Mario level, there is no theoretical downside to this. But it already looks like a very competent package that goes above and beyond in several aspects, hopefully they'll add more options, but if they don't that's fine 'cause it looks gooooooooooood.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
No stages with Big Bertha constantly threatening to eat big mario while water level rises and falls with vertical auto-scrolling and hammer bros suit/all smb3 variants, poo poo game 0/10 gg nintendo

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm shocked many of these aren't in the game actually, as they seem like obvious features. They focused so much on random bullshit new abilities like shell hats that they left out some of the fundamentals, especially polishing elements that pertain to specific releases (like the multicolored Yoshi). Extremely disappointing. It'll still be a great game, but sometimes I wonder if Nintendo execs and game designers on both sides of the ocean are actually retarded - they always miss basic functionality.
See I feel the exact opposite. It's awesome that this game offers a ton of new assets and "rules" like shell hats. I find that more fun than sticking to a 1:1 representation of a specific game. It almost turns this into a pseudo SMB 5.

If they focused purely on a tool that could recreate a game exactly, I can guarantee we'd only get it for the NSMB (least effort for Nintendo) or SMB1 styles. I vastly prefer this middle ground that has gotten SMB3 and SMW on the table.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

See I feel the exact opposite. It's awesome that this game offers a ton of new assets and "rules" like shell hats. I find that more fun than sticking to a 1:1 representation of a specific game. It almost turns this into a pseudo SMB 5.

If they focused purely on a tool that could recreate a game exactly, I can guarantee we'd only get it for the NSMB (least effort for Nintendo) or SMB1 styles. I vastly prefer this middle ground that has gotten SMB3 and SMW on the table.

Agreed. While I hope things like slopes and more enemies/obstacles get added in later patches, the launch game should be amazing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nftyw posted:

No stages with Big Bertha constantly threatening to eat big mario while water level rises and falls with vertical auto-scrolling and hammer bros suit/all smb3 variants, poo poo game 0/10 gg nintendo

I do wish being able to put water into the overworld was a thing though, apparently you can't? Like almost not even for gameplay reasons, just for decoration being able to place water would be nice

SMM looks amazing and I'm getting it day 1 and it's going to be a blast probably, but there's obvious stuff missing. That's not an invalid complaint

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

wtf

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that post is correct

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, I don't know why you guys would be confused by that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Great thing about asking for more is you can always ask for more

If you think the launch game is too limited, dont buy it. I'm sure sales will be ok without you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fix posted:

Yeah, I don't know why you guys would be confused by that.

because it's wrong ands again misses the point. limitations breed creativity. there are a ton of games that are a testament to that and are clever and have trickery to get round limitations.

SMM has a poo poo ton of stuff but not everything. too much in the tools or options would bog the average person down and they'd be overwhelmed. currently things unlock slowly and there is enough for all styles for people to get to grips with. those who need more tools will get creative. those who dont have enough.

more is not always better. especially not in the case of a game like this whose primary audience is young people and adults having fun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

blablablabla posted:

Great thing about asking for more is you can always ask for more

If you think the launch game is too limited, dont buy it. I'm sure sales will be ok without you.

Yeah I'm gonna wait and see what dlc comes/how it turns out and probably grab it used. It seems like a decent tech demo for something super-cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You aren't going to see any substantive changes aside from maybe more items in the editor.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

because it's wrong ands again misses the point. limitations breed creativity. there are a ton of games that are a testament to that and are clever and have trickery to get round limitations.

SMM has a poo poo ton of stuff but not everything. too much in the tools or options would bog the average person down and they'd be overwhelmed. currently things unlock slowly and there is enough for all styles for people to get to grips with. those who need more tools will get creative. those who dont have enough.

more is not always better. especially not in the case of a game like this whose primary audience is young people and adults having fun.

So how do creatively handle a boss level? Right now there's nothing in place just to stop you walking past them to the exit, that seems more like it's enforcing a single method than encouraging original level designs
I get where you're coming from, but none of the main things people are clamouring for are straws that would break the camel's back, they're core functionality that have been part of the series for decades

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I understand the frustration, but I feel like for every thing you can't do there's like 10 things that have never been in a Mario game before. Or at least neat visual variations. I dunno, maybe I'd be less forgiving if I was planning on creating more of my own stuff. As it is I'm approaching it more as an endless Mario game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

VideoGames posted:

sorry that you think adding slopes is going to suddenly turn nintendo's countless michelangelos and warhols into mindless sheeple i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So how do creatively handle a boss level? Right now there's nothing in place just to stop you walking past them to the exit, that seems more like it's enforcing a single method than encouraging original level designs
I get where you're coming from, but none of the main things people are clamouring for are straws that would break the camel's back, they're core functionality that have been part of the series for decades

because we're not making full mario games. we're making levels.

• Locked thread