Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The new Ghost album is the wankiest, most self-indulgent fart-sniffing album I've heard in a long time. Are they taking the piss now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Now?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ghost is soooooo boring, and the thing is I love most of the occult throwbacky bands out right now.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

The new Ghost album is the wankiest, most self-indulgent fart-sniffing album I've heard in a long time. Are they taking the piss now?

Well done, you have uncovered Ghost's gimmick.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone know of anything similar to Ares Kingdom's Incendiary? I'm not even sure what genre it's supposed to be (Thrash/Death?), but I haven't been able to stop listening to it for like a month now. Someone told me to check out Bolt Thrower, which I do like, but they don't really scratch the sort-of-melodic thrashy death itch.

Not quite on the same level but if you really h ave a melodic/thrashy death itch, have you tried Amon Amarth? I mean, they're kinda the AC/DC of that genre, they've done the same album for about 18 years or so now, but it's pretty good if you're into that kind of stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone know of anything similar to Ares Kingdom's Incendiary? I'm not even sure what genre it's supposed to be (Thrash/Death?), but I haven't been able to stop listening to it for like a month now. Someone told me to check out Bolt Thrower, which I do like, but they don't really scratch the sort-of-melodic thrashy death itch.

Maybe Arghoslent if you can tolerate their racism, if you can't then House of Atreus are similar and not racist(although the music isn't as good). Maybe Sacriphyx too. If you like Ares Kingdom's song writing then you may want to check out Order From Chaos(the band two of the Ares Kingdom guys were in before), even though they're a bit different in style. Ares Kingdom also have a new album out in September. Some old death/thrash like Poison(the german one) as well maybe. You could also look at the bands Ares Kingdom covered on Veneration, quite a few are obviously an influence on some level even if the sound is a bit different(and they're all cool bands).

Fenrir posted:

Not quite on the same level but if you really h ave a melodic/thrashy death itch, have you tried Amon Amarth? I mean, they're kinda the AC/DC of that genre, they've done the same album for about 18 years or so now, but it's pretty good if you're into that kind of stuff.

a song of amon and amarth by johan rr martin

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hammer Floyd posted:

I was gonna try again as I love the first album but hated the second. Maybe they learned.

No.

This is some trite bullshit and barely qualifies as metal. gently caress Ghost. I honestly think they are just trying to see what they can get away with and maintain a fanbase. This is pure trolling at this point.

Did someone leave the band that wrote the stuff from the first album? Who knows! They are all GHOULS apparently.

Thanks Apple Music tho for saving me whatever - I guess they made 3 cents off me tho.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Possibly Chicken posted:

Ghost is soooooo boring, and the thing is I love most of the occult throwbacky bands out right now.

Uncle Acid does it a billion times better.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Really love the new Symphony X album. Really good from the first listen.

Ghost reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult a lot. Don't much care for their satanic lyrics but the first album is pretty good. Someone mentioned other occult throwback bands that are better. I would be interested in listening to these if anyone has recommendations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Enh, I liked them better when they were Symphony Little

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I love how upset people in this thread get about Ghost.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Didn't love it. It's better than Iconoclast, and better than the Rod Tyler album, but it's one of my least favorite Symphony X releases. Doesn't hold up to V, Twilight, Divine Wings, or even Odyssey.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I like Ghost and I also like Opeth.

Is that okay?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I was gonna try again as I love the first album but hated the second. Maybe they learned.

No.

This is some trite bullshit and barely qualifies as metal. gently caress Ghost. I honestly think they are just trying to see what they can get away with and maintain a fanbase. This is pure trolling at this point.

Did someone leave the band that wrote the stuff from the first album? Who knows! They are all GHOULS apparently.

Thanks Apple Music tho for saving me whatever - I guess they made 3 cents off me tho.

Well that's it. I mean I know they were always a bit of a piss-take, but now they sound like a piss-take band that's gone into self parody.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The new album is better than the second one, but kinda forgettable. It's no worse than the other umpteen billion vest metal acts.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

This reminds me that I need to get tickets for the Overkill / Symphony X show. :3:

Not familiar with too much of Overkill minus the first 3 solid loving albums so in my selfish mind they can just play everything off that.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I tried listening to Overkill recently and could not get past the vocals, they are truly awful

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

This reminds me that I need to get tickets for the Overkill / Symphony X show. :3:

Not familiar with too much of Overkill minus the first 3 solid loving albums so in my selfish mind they can just play everything off that.
Everything up to and including I Hear Black is good. Then again I'm also the one person in this thread who likes Cold Lake and Risk, so maybe I'm not one to tell you which albums are good or not.

Kumbamontu posted:

I tried listening to Overkill recently and could not get past the vocals, they are truly awful
Bobby is a great vocalist, but I can see why he might turn some people off. Pretty shrill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you dislike Bobby Blitz, my suggestion is to stop being a scrub

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Tell me their best album and I will give it a try. I listened to the one from 2014 so maybe that one is bad?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Like most thrash acts Overkill benefits hugely from having a great stage show and being entertaining as hell. A lot of their music is good but on records they may suffer from sterile production (I'm looking at you "The Killing Kind" and "Relixiv")"which does hurt their stock in a way.

Edit: vvvvvv what he said.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kumbamontu posted:

Tell me their best album and I will give it a try. I listened to the one from 2014 so maybe that one is bad?
:laffo: if you listen to 80s thrash metal bands' 201X albums for the vocals. Pretty much every vocalist's voice is shot to hell.

Also best Overkill album is hard to say, but I prefer Feel the Fire. Years of Decay and Under the Influence are also great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

The Years of Decay, although I would say that their recent work is a thousand times better than any of their contemporaries'.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

:laffo: if you listen to 80s thrash metal bands' 201X albums for the vocals. Pretty much every vocalist's voice is shot to hell.

Also best Overkill album is hard to say, but I prefer Feel the Fire. Years of Decay and Under the Influence are also great.

there is a big difference between 'listening to the music for the vocals' and 'hating the vocals of music you're listening to'

i will give Feel the Fire a stab, thanks for the recommendation

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Years of Decay, although I would say that their recent work is a thousand times better than any of their contemporaries'.
I dunno man, Tempo of the Damned and Blood In, Blood Out were amazing Exodus albums.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Only 3 songs in and so far Feel the Fire is about 1000x better than the 2014 album, I guess I should have gone earliest -> latest instead of their most recent

There's No Tomorrow was really awesome

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2giLQtjIxxc this is why I actually love Bobby

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

This is the song that got me into thrash. The memories...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bobby Blitz looks like a cross between Otto the bus driver and Moe Szyslak.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
he kinda looks like carrot top in 20 years if carrot top was also a lesbian

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Protector is a cool band. They released a handful of death'y thrash albums in the late 80s/early 90s and they're all good.

Don't really get a lot of mentions in the thrash talks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLx_eBrP_0

protector forever

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
New track from the upcoming Horrendous album.

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/8/24/exclusive-premiere-horrendous-sum-of-all-failures

Soundin' good.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Ghost reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult a lot. Don't much care for their satanic lyrics but the first album is pretty good. Someone mentioned other occult throwback bands that are better. I would be interested in listening to these if anyone has recommendations.

The new Symphony X is great, just bought my tickets for their tour ( don't care about Overkill but whatever ). The only problem I have is it is very "Samey" I mean, Romeo is great but it feels like he's stuck in a rut and while he can wank his guitar all day long, he keeps re-hashing Paradise Lost. I bought the vinyl because I'm a sucker, it's very good of course, but man the inside artwork of the gatefold is embarrassing.

As far as "occult throwback" I discovered Blood Ceremony after reading an article about metal & feminism, it's really like Black Sabbath / Jethro Tull ( flute! fiddle! hammond organ! ) had a baby, I hesitate to even consider it metal (it's solidly in the 70's rock arena) but it's still cool. I normally hate these 70's doom bands because they're so boring and hokey but these guys do it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9LDakggAg

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 24, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TollTheHounds posted:

The only problem I have is it is very "Samey" I mean, Romeo is great but it feels like he's stuck in a rut and while he can wank his guitar all day long, he keeps re-hashing Paradise Lost.
I'm not really getting that feeling for the album as a whole, aside from that tinny guitar production which hasn't changed since 2005. It sounds very similar to Iconoclast, but his style has been incorporating some influences from djent and tech-death bands in ways that weren't apparent on Paradise Lost. His solos are definitely feeling less inspired, and there hasn't been a solo that's as memorable as, say, "Communion and the Oracle" in a long, long time. But the lowest points are definitely the songs like "Kiss of Fire" where Symphony X as a whole sounds like a) another band trying to be a Symphony X clone or b) a studio jam that somehow got recorded and released. (Is it just my imagination, or is the verse almost a verbatim copy of "Inferno"?)

"Without You" is on my musical shitlist for being awful dad-rock but insanely catchy in spite of it. (It goes in my shame playlist with Amorphis's "Silver Bride.")

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 24, 2015

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TollTheHounds posted:

New Myrkur album - M - released today.

http://myrkur.bandcamp.com/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaX-xAhTIcY

If you've been living under a rock, it's the over-hyped 1-woman "black metal" band ( sort of ) who was pushed into the light by Garm of Ulver. Lots of controversy by mouth-breathers because she is (was?) in an indie-rock band ( Ex-Cops ) and was a Chanel model or something so therefore she is a poser/fake/trying to make money ( with black metal? lol ).

Musically, it's great - I don't know I'd call it black metal without a lot of sub-sub-sub-genre qualifications but Bergtatt-era black metal is definitely the root influence. Just add on some clean/choir vocals ( she has a great voice ), some screaming but not much, and it's almost like a female-fronted Ulver.

It's almost ambient/atmospheric as some of the songs ( like the opener ) only have these ethereal cleans floating in the background, and there are shorter 2-minute long choir-only "instrumentals".

Anyway, I'm a lovely reviewer - listen to it and buy it if you like it.

Very good. Very nice find!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 22, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 22, 2016

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm not really getting that feeling for the album as a whole, aside from that tinny guitar production which hasn't changed since 2005. It sounds very similar to Iconoclast, but his style has been incorporating some influences from djent and tech-death bands in ways that weren't apparent on Paradise Lost. His solos are definitely feeling less inspired, and there hasn't been a solo that's as memorable as, say, "Communion and the Oracle" in a long, long time. But the lowest points are definitely the songs like "Kiss of Fire" where Symphony X as a whole sounds like a) another band trying to be a Symphony X clone or b) a studio jam that somehow got recorded and released. (Is it just my imagination, or is the verse almost a verbatim copy of "Inferno"?)

"Without You" is on my musical shitlist for being awful dad-rock but insanely catchy in spite of it. (It goes in my shame playlist with Amorphis's "Silver Bride.")

I dunno, to me every album after V sounds "the same". There are slight differences here and there, but you could probably make a mix-tape of Paradise Lost, Iconoclast, and Underworld and I'd be hard-pressed to actually pick out which song is from which album with the exception of the stand-out tracks. Without you is VERY dad rock but as usual they manage to make it palatable, I've always liked their ballads and this is weird because it's not strictly a "soft" song.

I disagree on Kiss of Fire though, I really like it - although you're right in that it does kind of sound like they're covering a song from someone else. Lyrically it's pretty meh as well, which goes back to my "samey" point. I think Romeo is just...bored or he needs to hand off the lyric writing duties to someone else and stick to guitar.

All this said I do still think it's a great album, I bought and paid for it with no regrets and regularly listen to it but I just didn't find it as exciting as I was hoping for. There's few things to really complain about and being consistently good is not necessarily a bad thing.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I bought it too and agree. It's like some dumb final boss level from the Symphony X video game.

Yes exactly and to make it worse the video game is from 1995 and they only created the artwork for the CD, so they blew it up to fit the gatefold and it's appropriately pixellated. Ugh.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bathory's Under the Runes (from Twilight of the Gods) is basically Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Man there is so much good poo poo this year, never posted this much before.

Wolfheart - Shadow World finally released on August 21st. Finnish melo-death from the Black Sun Aeon/Before the Dawn dude, mostly done 1-man band style, with some great song writing. This album is not as good as ( or maybe not as memorable as ) Winterborn but what can you do. I'd link a different video from the one I did before but they don't have anything else on YouTube, the album is on Google Play Music, Spotify, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcl2Eg_Xi0

Forefather - Curse of the Cwelled. British ummm...folk metal, I guess? Think Ensiferum. Black metally, folk metally, growling, cleans, great melodies, galloping drums ( I think drum machines ). Favourite song: Awakened Hate . This came out in April and I loving missed it, probably already posted in here.

http://forefather.bandcamp.com/track/awakened-hate

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 25, 2015