Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

well, considering how few black people came into the country through the established immigration system, and how many were granted citizenship via the 14th amendment, black people are basically the first anchor babies.

not quite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Montasque posted:

White supremacist wants to take over, rename town after Donald Trump

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3817566-white-supremacist-wants-take-over-rename-town-after-donald-trump

Does this count as an endorsement for Trump?

Trump: Probably not a white supremacist, but the candidate of choice for white supremacists.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

echronorian posted:

Oh I get it 100%, but Trump will use it to spin his web of anti Chinese rhetoric so thick it'll probably catch middle of the road, mostly liberal supporters. "This is why our leaders suck, look at these bad deals with China" and the Bill Maher crowd, the mad money democrats, will get snatched up. That's my theory at least.

Not sure why you're grouping the "Bill Maher" and "mad money" crowd together. Most progressives (which include Bill Maher) feel the stock market is not really connected to reality and is mostly rich people gambling. If they're in the upper quintiles they probably have some mutual funds and/or some 401k investments, so if they care about the stock market all, it's because of that. And we're so used to fluctuations now, it'll take a pretty big and sustained dip to shake us.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jeb! clarifies his anchor babies remark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4na13UwOoc

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Pinterest Mom posted:

HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY DO THIS

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I love how he says that he has been "immersed in the immigrant experience". And then he bad mouths "Asians".

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Pinterest Mom posted:

"sorry i actually meant asian anchor babies" lol how is he so bad at this

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Not sure why you're grouping the "Bill Maher" and "mad money" crowd together.

Because it's television for idiots who think they understand what's happening and are informed

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Tautologicus posted:

Yes and no one ever paid at either of those rates in the way they do today. Income was taxed in brackets and there were a lot more deductions to take. Taxes were actually effectively lower overall during that time. I went down this same train of thought at one point

Income is still taxed in brackets.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Giggle Goose posted:

I love how he says that he has been "immersed in the immigrant experience". And then he bad mouths "Asians".

To be fair Chinese birth tourism is a real thing, but it's like a few thousand people a year.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
As I said in Spanish :smug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Bill Maher isn't progressive, seeing as he thinks things like that Muslims are inherently worse than all other religions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

It's not really a low blow. If a candidate's mother stated they don't think their son should be President, that's fair game. I still don't understand how people watched W's presidency and want to vote for Jeb. Imagine if Trump campaigned as dirty as W did vs McCain.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 24, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bill Maher isn't progressive, seeing as he thinks things like that Muslims are inherently worse than all other religions.

Yeah I actively avoided saying progressive, though people who consider themselves progressive absolutely watch him.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

echronorian posted:

Because it's television for idiots who think they understand what's happening and are informed

Bill Maher is not mad money, and I don't think there's probably that much overlap in their audience either. I don't want to get into the weeds of defending Bill Maher, as he is not a paragon of anything, but at least he's brave with his opinions and rarely tows some milquetoast false equivalency line of thinking. As far as being a white ivy league baby boomer, he's about as good as you get. And yes, he's a progressive. I'd rather live in a world with Bill Maher than without.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Montasque posted:

With all the xenophobic and racist rhetoric being thrown around this was only a matter of time. Maybe because it was Boston, but people don't seem that phased by this. I guess it will only take a Trump inspired murder to really get people to pay attention to his 'passionate fans'.

sorry to dredge up an old quote, but the fact that 'Trump inspired murder' is now a real phrase that could potentially happen is a sign of our wonderful Apocalypse

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'd rather live in a world with Germ Theory denial than one without.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol this guy just does not want to be President, does he?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MrBims posted:

I'm ok with this as long as we require all the deniers to live in the same city/state/country.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Thump! posted:

lol this guy just does not want to be President, does he?

didnt someone mention his wife didnt want him to run? neither did his mom apparently. i think Jeb is throwing the election so he can go back to retirement without being pestered by the gop establishment to run for president lol

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

comes along bort posted:

To be fair Chinese birth tourism is a real thing, but it's like a few thousand people a year.
Those aren't immigrant experiences. They're tourists!

The PC rant thing is stunning. Jeb is so bad at this.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

They should be "Anchor old enough to buy beer children"

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

MrBims posted:

Not everyone shares the same opinions. Just because he has some stupid opinions on things doesn't mean that we shouldn't count his good opinions, some of which he has been very brave (compared to others in his position) about having.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jeb? leading the charge on Republicans alienating asian americans. Isn't that like the one group of immigrants they haven't completely hosed themselves with yet?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The number of candidates running for president who don't want to be president severely outnumbers the number of candidates running for president that do want to be president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HappyHippo posted:

Isn't that like the one group of immigrants they haven't completely hosed themselves with yet?

well, not anymore anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dahbadu posted:

Not sure why you're grouping the "Bill Maher" and "mad money" crowd together. Most progressives (which include Bill Maher) feel the stock market is not really connected to reality and is mostly rich people gambling. If they're in the upper quintiles they probably have some mutual funds and/or some 401k investments, so if they care about the stock market all, it's because of that. And we're so used to fluctuations now, it'll take a pretty big and sustained dip to shake us.

People who have their retirement savings in index funds are probably gonna have frowns for a little while from the ugly numbers but if they're not within 10 years of retirement they'll probably recover handsomely. Anyone within 10 years of retirement probably should be balanced more into more stable and safe stuff anyway but god only knows what kind of bullshit advice those people were getting between 2008 and now with regard to rebuilding their holdings after that crash. Someone who took a big haircut in 2008 at almost 20 years to retirement might have tried to gamble their money back given the time left and unless they were good about moving as much as they could reasonably spare into stable funds they're now looking at another haircut with 10 years to go. They won't be happy but demographically they aren't really lost votes.

The problem with worrying about the electoral effects of the economic developments w.r.t. China is that the tail end of the boomers are in that soon-retiring, possibly-made-a-stupid-gamble demographic and on top of that you've got the shithead second-term reaganite rear end in a top hat kids of theirs who are hearing them piss and moan every day about it, and have one eye on the IRA ticker since they're in their mid 40s too, so even though the effects on the US will probably be rather limited in scope and length, it's hitting people who would have voted for Trump anyway. Mass layoffs aren't going to be a component of this event but grouchy old folks looking at very real effects on their retirement will, but they're already all wound up about anchor babies so it's probably a wash.

If China fucks up and experiences runaway deflation for whatever reason (it's a credit bubble so that's what they will be trying to fight against but thankfully they print their own currency) then it's gonna be really bad for the US but they control their own money supply so they have the ability to wrangle it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Jeb? leading the charge on Republicans alienating asian americans. Isn't that like the one group of immigrants they haven't completely hosed themselves with yet?
No they lost those votes years ago. Asian Americans are disproportionately urbanized, coastal, and educated.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pinterest Mom posted:

The only thing I can remotely think he can be referencing are "birth hotels", like you see in California, but he somehow, seemingly without effort, managed to alienate himself AGAIN.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

The top income tax rate in 1952 was 91% and the average corporate tax rate was 52%, yet somehow the world didn't end. I would like you to explain why, please.

...You do realize that 1952 was before the AMT and it was totally possible and indeed common for the wealthy to use deductions to dodge literally all of their taxes, right?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

No they lost those votes years ago. Asian Americans are disproportionately urbanized, coastal, and educated.

:waycool:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jeb continues to fall down the stairs in slow motion, he's actively attacking Trump now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSdfLD7gH8

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Stock market stuff.

Agreed. I just think "wolf!" has been cried a lot so people aren't as reactionary as they used to be. I could be wrong. I don't really follow the markets.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jeb continues to fall down the stairs in slow motion, he's actively attacking Trump now

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

I thought only a few days ago Jeb? was saying he wasn't going to be buying anti-trump attack ads?

He can't even get this right. Now The Eye of Trump's gaze will be fixed in his direction. You don't want that.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 24, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Establishment GOP's front runner folks...

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

He matches W's ability to say dumb stuff without the endearing things like people skills and the ability to tell fart jokes

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

FAUXTON posted:

If China fucks up and experiences runaway deflation for whatever reason (it's a credit bubble so that's what they will be trying to fight against but thankfully they print their own currency) then it's gonna be really bad for the US but they control their own money supply so they have the ability to wrangle it.

How would runaway deflation happen in china? That would be an insane blessing for the government because they could just print more money to counteract it and poor it back into the economy? Doesn't china want major deflation so they could increase their currency?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Does he seriously think he can win that exchange with what has been displayed so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Actually, it's a pretty recent phenomenon. Kerry only won asians 56-44, Obama won them 62-35 against McCain, and they're one of the only demographics that voted more democratic in 2012 (73-26) than in 2008.

(One of four groups: Asians shifted 11% towards the Dems, hispanics 4%, gays 6%, and people making 30k-50k 2%, while the country as a whole was voting 3% more republican)

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 24, 2015

• Locked thread