Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

K. Waste posted:

Girlhood is stupendous and my new favorite movie from 2014.
It's fantastic for sure. Celine Sciamma's previous movie Tomboy is also on Netflix so be sure to watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

coyo7e posted:

Lord of War is pretty fun. Recommend it.

I don't feel that he's a grifter, because he's not ripping people off and lying as much as just gaining skills and utilising them as his personal morals allow and his personal goals/needs direct. He's a thief, a sociopath, probably a killer.. But I can't recall him committing fraud or otherwise creating falsehoods throughout the movie - and I watched it twice. I'm sure he lies about some poo poo but he's actually performing a job and doing it far better than the other competition, for the desires of his customers. I'd say he's not as much a grifter as a product of society.

Early on he steals a bike and tries to pawn it, lying all the while. Seems kinda like grifting. He'd do any immoral act to get an umearned advantage. He just also happens to sometimes work hard to get an advantage too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pander posted:

Early on he steals a bike and tries to pawn it, lying all the while. Seems kinda like grifting. He'd do any immoral act to get an umearned advantage. He just also happens to sometimes work hard to get an advantage too.

And the opening scene has him stealing a length of chain-link fence, killing a night watchman in the process to hawk at a plant/refinery. The counter-party knows it's hot merchandise, granted, but it's still hot merchandise.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
That opening scene was kind of odd - it shows him attacking and overpowering someone as our introduction to the character, and then the movie never shows him being physically violent in that way again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Nightcrawler's ending is that he's wearing the watch from the opening scene.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And the opening scene has him stealing a length of chain-link fence, killing a night watchman in the process to hawk at a plant/refinery.

I think people who say he was killed are being pretty presumptuous.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
[quote="coyo7e" post="449307308

coyo7e posted:

I don't feel that he's a grifter, because he's not ripping people off and lying as much as just gaining skills and utilising them as his personal morals allow and his personal goals/needs direct. He's a thief, a sociopath, probably a killer.. But I can't recall him committing fraud or otherwise creating falsehoods throughout the movie - and I watched it twice. I'm sure he lies about some poo poo but he's actually performing a job and doing it far better than the other competition, for the desires of his customers. I'd say he's not as much a grifter as a product of society.
First words we hear him say: `I'm lost,' a lie (unless we want to get all metaphysical). `There's no signs,' there are signs everywhere. `That gate was open,' `I was under the opinion it was a detour,' `I like guarding things.'

And that's just the first scene. Do you really think people compliment his persistence? Do you think he actually ever worked in a garage? Figure he really won the Tour de Mexico on the bike he just stole? `The situation is that I lost an employee and I'm interviewing for a replacement.' `I heard someone yell to come in.' And the whole thing with the cops. The dude is lying constantly. As in I don't think there's a single character in the film that he talks to that he doesn't lie to.

And the film goes out of its way to argue that that's why he gets ahead, not his skills. We're told by other characters that he's good at crime scene/accident photography, although I'm not sure how much we can take this at face value (his strongest supporters are morally compromised themselves, and the only character who seems to have a working moral compass doesn't like the material). But even if we take it as read, his first major success is not on the level---it's when he gets there first and rearranges an accident scene to make it look `better'. That is, his `news' photography is lies.

And he's offered what he ostensibly was after at the start of the film---a legit job. But he turns it down. And when the guy who offered him the job starts beating him to stories, is better at his job than Bloom is? How does Bloom get ahead? Literally sneaking around in the dead of night to commit sabotage. That's who he is. That's what he does.

Put more directly: the film shows us other hardworking and talented people in the same field, and he doesn't rise above them by `utilizing his skills' as a photographer, he rises above them by using his skills as a small-time con man---lying, fast-talking, cheating, manipulating. What is Bloom? Bloom is a nightcrawler. What is a nightcrawler? A thing that wriggles around in the dirt. It isn't even subtle.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

wafflesnsegways posted:

That opening scene was kind of odd - it shows him attacking and overpowering someone as our introduction to the character, and then the movie never shows him being physically violent in that way again.

Re: Nighcrawler - You know the guy can be violent and it's just under the surface at all times because of that scene. Think about how much tension it added throughout the movie since we knew that from the jump, particularly when he was odds with his intern or Bill Paxton's character.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Re: Nighcrawler - You know the guy can be violent and it's just under the surface at all times because of that scene. Think about how much tension it added throughout the movie since we knew that from the jump, particularly when he was odds with his intern or Bill Paxton's character.
This is what I really dug. I don't get why people are so hung up on "he was haggling in a pawn shop about a hot bike - HE'S OBVIOUSLY A CON ARTIST!" and "oh he distracted a security guard with some lies - obviously a grifter!" no not at all - both parties in the pawn shop barter scene know it's a poo poo-show (the guy in the store even retorts "no bike has 37 gears," or something along those lines simply to attempt to to bring the price down or tell him to shove off, and anyone who lives in a city with a lot of bike theft knows that nobody clean sells a bike in a pawn shop - ever) and they're just trying to come to a mutually beneficial understanding.

He is far too forceful to be a grifter, too willing to lay his ace card down early without a backup plan, and force someone into the situation he desires rather than steering them around so they believe they came to the decision on their own. He's definitely A Bad Man however, he's just not a con artist. Maybe there is a lack of understanding about what grifter means..? A grifter is somone who convinces you to hold onto his "expensive" watch while he runs off to get his wallet, and leaves you with the check - not someone who throttles you in a rail-yard and takes YOUR watch.. A grifter is the guy who's talking mad poo poo and then falling on the floor at the pool table, and who then convinces some college kid to bet 100 bucks on a game and then he runs the table and vanishes out the back before the guy can grab his friends.

There is no long con in Nightcrawler - it's an anti-hero's quest a la Joseph Campbell, perhaps... But it's not about a con man.

The overarching feeling I get from Nightcrawler is hunger. A craving for validation. Unmitigated ambition.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 24, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

There is no long con in Nightcrawler - it's an anti-hero's quest a la Joseph Campbell, perhaps... But it's not about a con man.
Con man and grifter are not interchangeable, and you wouldn't expect a grifter to be running long cons. A grifter is a small-time swindler, strongly associated with con games but the term applies to pretty much anyone who makes his way running small scams and extortions and betrayals. In The Big Sleep there's a guy who tries to sell Marlowe information after his girlfriend accidentally runs into someone on the lam. He tells Marlowe (referring to his girlfriend), `She's a grifter, shamus. I'm a grifter. We'll all grifters. So we sell each other out for a nickel.' In Millers Crossing (1990), when Bernie (in hot water for making money off of prize fights fixed by a local mob boss) is trying to talk Tom out of killing him he says, `I'm just a grifter, Tom. I'm...I'm a nobody!'

I mean I don't know how much further it's worth talking about, but a grifter is a small-time shyster who'll swindle or betray anyone for chump change. And when Nightcrawler opens that's Bloom up one side and back down the other. And as I said, he's a liar and a sneak and that's how he gets ahead. As in that isn't even subtext. He literally sneaks around at night. Hides in shrubs. Lies to his partner. Lies to the news guys. Lies to the cops. And that's how he finds success. Not through his skills as a news photographer. The guys who are merely good at being news photographers end up on the pavement. And not through hard work. The guy who's busting his rear end to help Bloom ends up on the pavement as well. All through deception, all perpetrated by Bloom. I mean that's the story.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm telling yall, Nightcrawler is a sports movie.

It's got everything. The seasoned competitor telling him he's not good enough, the "getting better" montage, the love interest, the establishment telling his maverick ways are a problem, even inspirational music playing when he finds the strength within himself to succeed at his "sport" (by violating crime-scenes).

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's been a bit since there has been a Netflix horror discussion in this thread. Anyone notice any gems in there lately? I think I may have already watched most of what is worth watching, but I could go for a decent competenty directed horror film tonight.

Watched Dark Skies last night and it wasn't terrible. it pretty much shits out at the end but I thought it was entertaining at least.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

It's been a bit since there has been a Netflix horror discussion in this thread. Anyone notice any gems in there lately? I think I may have already watched most of what is worth watching, but I could go for a decent competenty directed horror film tonight.

Watched Dark Skies last night and it wasn't terrible. it pretty much shits out at the end but I thought it was entertaining at least.

Housebound
Oculus
The Babadook
You're Next

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well from what you said I'm assuming you've seen most of the known classics like Hellraiser and The Exorcist, and the more well known newer stuff like Oculus and The Babadook.

What about Housebound? Its probably the kind of movie that's better the less you know about it, but its one of those rare horror/comedies that actually does work as both. Its not just a comedy shoehorned into a horror premise. If you're looking for something more straightforward maybe House of the Devil, but its pretty well known so I'm thinking you may have seen that.

Edit: drat beaten with the Housebound recommendation, but that should probably tell you something.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NESguerilla posted:

You've probably seen it already but the original Nightmare on Elm Street holds up better than I expected. Might be worth a (re)watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sarchasm posted:

You've probably seen it already but the original Nightmare on Elm Street holds up better than I expected. Might be worth a (re)watch.

Nightmare on Elm Street and its meta-sequel, New Nightmare, are both really good and on Netflix. In fact, the original Nightmare is probably my second-favorite horror movie ever. Nightmare 2 is poorly directed, but it's got campy imagination and some fun gay subtext. If you're still cravin' the Craven, Scream is also excellent.

Not Craven-related, but Re-Animator loving owns. Hellraiser 2 is a lot better than it should be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street and its meta-sequel, New Nightmare, are both really good and on Netflix. In fact, the original Nightmare is probably my second-favorite horror movie ever. Nightmare 2 is poorly directed, but it's got campy imagination and some fun gay subtext. If you're still cravin' the Craven, Scream is also excellent.

Not Craven-related, but Re-Animator loving owns. Hellraiser 2 is a lot better than it should be.

i agree with all of this post.

also, x-ray, i can't remember, have you seen Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3? you're sort of a recent convert to the franchise iirc. part 3 forms the official trilogy for me with part 1 and New Nightmare.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i agree with all of this post.

also, x-ray, i can't remember, have you seen Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3? you're sort of a recent convert to the franchise iirc. part 3 forms the official trilogy for me with part 1 and New Nightmare.

ANoES 3 is such a melting pot of 80s camp that it remains an incredibly good movie. And some of the visual effects (puppet master Freddy) hold up surprisingly well.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Nightmare 2 is poorly directed, but it's got campy imagination and some fun gay subtext.
My favorite segment of the Never Sleep Again documentary (on Netflix but it IS a 4 hour long documentary on every aspect of the series) is the entire Elm Street 2 segment as it jumps from every person involved in the film basically shouting "WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE gently caress WE WERE MAKING" and ending it on the writer saying in utter delight "I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT MOVIE WE WERE MAKING."

Got a 35mm screening of Elm Street 2 coming up this week. Super hyped. :dance:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

And I know NESguerilla definitely specified horror streaming on Netflix, but if you have HBOGo, Lucky McKee's May is up and still pretty wonderful.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

The Bava films Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) and Bay of Blood (1971) are essentials and are currently on netflix.

Bay of Blood is often known by its original US release title Twitch of the Death Nerve, and was a template for many conventions of the slasher genre that wouldn't really form as a genre until nearly a decade later.

Kill, Baby... Kill! is the quintessential example of Bava's visual style, and is a film whose influence you can see in the style of Scorsese (who has called it one of his favourite films), Lynch, and Fellini.

Edit: Actually Twitch of the Death Nerve is the second US release title. Hallmark briefly exhibited it under the title Carnage.

SubG fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 25, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I had somehow never seen them, I watched Scream 1-3 over the weekend (I prefer creature features over slashers so they were never high on my list). If you somehow don't know what they are about, they are self-aware slasher movies where the characters constantly reference other horror movies and spell out their expected tropes. There's some meta-commentary on violence in media woven in too. The first one (and most of the second) was way more clever and entertaining than I expected. These three (Scream 4 is not on Netflix) go full circle; by the third, the franchise has developed its own tropes and has basically turned into what the first movie was satirizing. I was amused that, even though there's nothing explicitly supernatural about the movies, the masked Ghostface killer is exactly the same throughout the series (even voiced by the same guy) even though there's supposed to be different people under the sheets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

You've probably already seen it, but Absentia is extremely good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dream Warriors is the last one I've seen of the main series. I liked it, but it didn't click like I thought it would. The marionette kill is loving sick, but I'm not sure I dig the D&D powers as much as guerrilla warfare Nancy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

It's on youtube but Argento's Phenomena is still amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd765s-PFX0

red19fire
May 26, 2010

We were talking about double features, does watching one specifically for an actor count? Or are there other fun ones to like, see their range?

I watched Black Sails on Starz Play, then Vexed on Netflix. Toby Stephens is solid.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's on youtube but Argento's Phenomena is still amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd765s-PFX0

Yeah except that's a terrible edited cut of the movie, the full uncut version is on YouTube though as well.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

red19fire posted:

We were talking about double features, does watching one specifically for an actor count? Or are there other fun ones to like, see their range?

I watched Black Sails on Starz Play, then Vexed on Netflix. Toby Stephens is solid.

Agreed on Toby Stephens, and Black Sails and Vexed.

Watched Delivery Man on Netflix and found it pretty funny. Reminded of Sirens on USA if any of you enjoyed that.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
What a solid film The Guest was. If you haven't seen it, don't watch the trailers, don't even read it about (just know it got excellent reviews and it's an entertaining and somewhat stylish B movie.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SubG posted:

The Bava films Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) and Bay of Blood (1971) are essentials and are currently on netflix.

Bay of Blood is often known by its original US release title Twitch of the Death Nerve, and was a template for many conventions of the slasher genre that wouldn't really form as a genre until nearly a decade later.

Kill, Baby... Kill! is the quintessential example of Bava's visual style, and is a film whose influence you can see in the style of Scorsese (who has called it one of his favourite films), Lynch, and Fellini.

Edit: Actually Twitch of the Death Nerve is the second US release title. Hallmark briefly exhibited it under the title Carnage.

If you're into the quintessential, nonsensical soft-porn italian horror genre of the 60s and 70s then sure, I heartily recommend them. Right up there with Tombs of the Blind Dead (which is my personal submission to the "most boring horror movie ever made" hall of fame). But really, don't watch any of them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

If you're into the quintessential, nonsensical soft-porn italian horror genre of the 60s and 70s then sure, I heartily recommend them. Right up there with Tombs of the Blind Dead (which is my personal submission to the "most boring horror movie ever made" hall of fame). But really, don't watch any of them.
Well, no accounting for tastes and all that, but Ossario's Tombs of the Blind Dead are Spanish films, not Italian.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

So much wrong in only a few sentences...

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Yeah except that's a terrible edited cut of the movie, the full uncut version is on YouTube though as well.

"Featuring music by IRON MAIDEN and MOTORHEAD" :swoon: I remember liking the version that was/is on Amazon Prime, but I didn't know there was an uncut version available. Guess I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

now i wish Tombs of the Blind Dead was streaming somewhere because it's actually one of the best horror movies ever made

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

You've probably already seen it, but Absentia is extremely good.

I agree, but people have to watch it with lowered expectations to get past the production values I think.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

MacGowans Teeth posted:

"Featuring music by IRON MAIDEN and MOTORHEAD" :swoon: I remember liking the version that was/is on Amazon Prime, but I didn't know there was an uncut version available. Guess I know what I'll be watching tonight.

That soundtrack is something else.

That movie is something else, actually. Kinda wish Argento would go all out like he used to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw a 35mm print the first time and it blew my mind. It's probably my favorite Argento because he just goes for it in that movie. Psychics, serial killers, chimps with straight razors, Donald Pleasance, Jennifer Connelly, creepy Swiss boarding schools, glaciers...:iia:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there some story about what happened with Argento's Dracula? How does a guy with his talents end up making something like that? Its just so devoid of any of his usual style, I don't get it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Is there some story about what happened with Argento's Dracula? How does a guy with his talents end up making something like that? Its just so devoid of any of his usual style, I don't get it.

Have you noticed what he's been up to for the past fifteen years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have you noticed what he's been up to for the past fifteen years?

Not really, Dracula's the only film I've seen of his in that time. Dracula's gotta be the worst though right?