Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

moghome looks very weird in the fog, though

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Final Fantasy: Silent Hill

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Did some patch buff the chance of getting swimsuits out of desynthing fish? I'm 7 for 7 now that I'm going back to them.

a while back, yeah. i think it was the living legends patch, so 2.4 i guess? anyway desynthing swimsuits used to be like a 10% drop on a successful desynth and now it's at least 50%, probably higher.

doesn't apply to the assassin fry, though. that lil tyke's still abominably rare

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Been enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would, even though Maurader is a tanking class and my idea of fun isn't really "Try to keep all of the bad guys facing me while trying to ignore the one mage who got aggro and now expects me to deal with that stray mob, too." I need to go back and level some secondary classes. I've been really impressed with how helpful the people I've partied with have been. Not a single "Why can't you tank" amongst them, although one person did say I needed better tank gear. Like, I'm barely level 20, and almost everything I have has Vitality on it, and outside of pants everything is hard armor, not sure what else you want.

Also, what's with this game and it's lack of pants?

I did have a few questions. Can someone point me to a good guide on soulbound equipment and materia, since I'm not supposed to NPC stuff I've soulbound to? Does anyone have a good website that shows questlines with rewards, so that I might be able to see how far away I am from being able to dye clothing, or whatever else rewards I'm missing? And at what point does Culinarian food become good or worth storing/saving/selling?

I also need to find a good fishing guide, because apparently a lot of the fish I need for cooking can only be fished, yet they can only be caught in certain areas with certain bait and that bait can only be made with certain ingredients. If anyone has any basic advice for starting out with Fishing, please share.

Also, am I correct in understanding that the Heavensward jobs can't be unlocked until the main storyline has been completed?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sethimothy posted:

Look at this guy who hates subligars :colbert:

I wouldn't worry about materia too much. You can learn to convert stuff at..30? It's been a while. Don't bother getting someone to meld it into your gear though, just sell it when you get your retainer.

Dyeing is a level 15 quest in Vesper bay, take an Orange Juice (can be bought in Ul'dah) with you.

http://en.ff14angler.com/ is the best fisher site, but if you're levelling and opening areas still I'd just use it as an excuse to relax or something and not worry too much about it.

Also, you are correct on AST/DRK/MCH.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Coming Soon in 3.1: Hell Astrologian

3.1 is taking away all glamour restrictions?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Holyshoot posted:

It's removing the restriction on multi-slot pieces.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What multi-slot piece is glamoured in that?

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

Holyshoot posted:

That's the "dressing room" background. I think it's a joke...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Seriously wondering what the h*ck is going to be in the patch that they're giving a number to. The only thing I can think of on "eminent to-fix" list that hasn't materialized is a quantity selector on grand company provisions. Generally if they give a patch a number it at least has a handful of QoL improvements and balance adjustments. I thought they said they wouldn't do much to AST until 3.1?

That said this is a longass maintenance for a minor patch, wonder if it's more about some wacky backend stuff they're doing.

Also this is the first suggestion I've ever seen on Reddit that I am totally, 100% behind and in support of: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3i8ph6/who_else_loves_the_idea_of_savage_dungeons/

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 25, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sethimothy posted:

Been enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would, even though Maurader is a tanking class and my idea of fun isn't really "Try to keep all of the bad guys facing me while trying to ignore the one mage who got aggro and now expects me to deal with that stray mob, too." I need to go back and level some secondary classes. I've been really impressed with how helpful the people I've partied with have been. Not a single "Why can't you tank" amongst them, although one person did say I needed better tank gear. Like, I'm barely level 20, and almost everything I have has Vitality on it, and outside of pants everything is hard armor, not sure what else you want.

I did have a few questions. Can someone point me to a good guide on soulbound equipment and materia, since I'm not supposed to NPC stuff I've soulbound to? Does anyone have a good website that shows questlines with rewards, so that I might be able to see how far away I am from being able to dye clothing, or whatever else rewards I'm missing? And at what point does Culinarian food become good or worth storing/saving/selling?

I also need to find a good fishing guide, because apparently a lot of the fish I need for cooking can only be fished, yet they can only be caught in certain areas with certain bait and that bait can only be made with certain ingredients. If anyone has any basic advice for starting out with Fishing, please share.

Also, am I correct in understanding that the Heavensward jobs can't be unlocked until the main storyline has been completed?

Don't craft, it's a huge waste of effort/resources. You would literally save time by taking a minimum wage job, spending your earnings from that on RMT, and then buying from more masochistic crafters. It's a shame it's such a hellgrind too, because the crafting minigame is pretty fun.

Also, this guide doesn't cover Heavensward, but it's a pretty comprehensive list of all unlockables level 50 or below.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

DolphinCop posted:

doesn't apply to the assassin fry, though. that lil tyke's still abominably rare

Random is random, but I have a friend who got 13 of those things over the course of 1-2 weeks. Either he's insanely lucky or they did stealth buff it at some point. I'd seriously believe either.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't craft, it's a huge waste of effort/resources. You would literally save time by taking a minimum wage job, spending your earnings from that on RMT, and then buying from more masochistic crafters.

Good tip to listen to. In fact, don't even bother wasting your time leveling to 50/60, just buy a character that's already leveled

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

Coming Soon in 3.1: Hell Astrologian

No seriously, what chest is that? It looks cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sentient Data posted:

Good tip to listen to. In fact, don't even bother wasting your time leveling to 50/60, just buy a character that's already leveled

:agreed:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You can craft if you want to... You can let your friends grind.

Griz
May 21, 2001

sethimothy posted:

And at what point does Culinarian food become good or worth storing/saving/selling?

the only foods anyone cares about :
max level raid food
CP/GP food
leve turn-ins
that one thing that buffs desynth

if you're not doing any of those, just buy a stack of raisins or whatever for like 8 gil each to get the 3% exp bonus

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

No seriously, what chest is that? It looks cool.

It's the WAR esoterics body and it is loving amazing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish the dragoon esoterics gear wasn't such crap, all the other classes have great sets.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish the dragoon esoterics gear wasn't such crap, all the other classes have great sets.

BLM eso gear is pretty garbage imo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

sethimothy posted:

Not a single "Why can't you tank" amongst them, although one person did say I needed better tank gear. Like, I'm barely level 20, and almost everything I have has Vitality on it, and outside of pants everything is hard armor, not sure what else you want.

Things you need to know about tank gear:

- Keep your weapon up to date, or your threat (and damage) will suck and it'll be hard to keep things pissed at you instead of someone else.
- For leftside gear, defense and magic defense stats are what you want to care about, not secondaries (and str and vit will come automatically). And while being a little behind on those won't make or break anything, being way behind will be increasingly noticeable in how squishy you are.
- In turn, the big things there are a. item level (notably in pre-50 leveling there's a new crafted tank set every 5 levels and 50-60 a new crafted tank set every 2 levels), b. having it be HQ or a dungeon drop, rather than NQ/vendor, c. having it be Proper Tank Armor (WAR/PLD/DRK). (*)
- For rightside gear (and bonus stat allocations as you level), use enough vit to be comfortable with how much HP you have, and fill in the rest with str for more damage and more threat. The tiny bits of parry on vit accessories won't make an appreciable difference in mitigation, so it's really just a question of health pool vs. damage/threat.

(*) Sometimes, there'll be WAR/PLD/DRK/DRG armor which is also Proper Tank Armor. And sometimes, there'll be WAR/PLD/DRK/DRG armor which isn't. The way you can tell is that if it's Tank Gear That DRGs Can Also Wear, it'll have equal defense and magic defense. If it's DRG Gear To Trap Unobservant Tanks, it'll have more defense than magic defense. Plain old "Disciple of War", let alone "All Classes", should be avoided like the plague.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I like the BLM eso set

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I might have thought the BLM eso set looked nicer if they hadn't introduced the Orthodox Robe of Casting in the aery, aka the single best looking caster robe in the game

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

The WHM eso robe just looks like a satin-y mess. It honestly reminds me of lovely amateur cosplay. The SCH set looks so much better, too bad I don't like healing as SCH. :sigh:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

suztan posted:

The WHM eso robe just looks like a satin-y mess. It honestly reminds me of lovely amateur cosplay. The SCH set looks so much better, too bad I don't like healing as SCH. :sigh:

Ignoring the butt pipe.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I like the DRK one. That is all. :unsmith:

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The BLM eso set has pouches on its shoulders. What the gently caress who puts pouches there.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I'm still not really sure how gearing at 60 works past Law. How do you upgrade the Antiquated gear?

And also what's my general strategy? Gear with 60 dungeons and Law until I can do Alex and then do Alex?

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 25, 2015

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

So I'm still not really sure how gearing at 60 works past Law. How do you upgrade the Antiquated gear?

And also what's my general strategy? Gear with 60 dungeons and Law until I can do Alex and then do Alex?
Upgrading Antiquated gear is past Esoterics tomes, not just past Law.

You upgrade Antiquated stuff with items you get from Alexander Savage.

EDIT: And yes to the second part. Additionally, get Centurio Seals (by doing Heavensward hunts) and use them to upgrade your Law gear. You can also use even more Law tomes to upgrade Law gear, but when you're first getting geared that's not as reasonable.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 25, 2015

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Upgrading Antiquated gear is past Esoterics tomes, not just past Law.

You upgrade Antiquated stuff with items you get from Alexander Savage.

Presumably, there will be a method in 3.1 to acquire those things. Might be tied to Alexander normal once people are done getting their gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sethimothy posted:

Alright so, as the resident authority on this poo poo who is a huge loser who is staring to lose count of how many characters I have run through the MSQ (I think I'm at 6 now) and like 4 of them are tanks and the most recent a healer where I watched, judged, and observed new players, especially tanks, like the primadonna rear end in a top hat I am, a few things to keep in mind:

There's a gigantic difference between the gear you'll have levelling your first class in a dungeon you just unlocked and are ready to enter and the kind of gear people who are synced down and have gear above the dungeon's ceiling. Like it's really big. The bigger the difference the harder it will be to hold threat. I do recommend when you get to Brayflox's Longstop (Level 32, be sure to get your Warrior stone first from your job quests), run it multiple times until you have most if not all of the Calvary pieces. This will pretty much permanently catch you up as it's still serviceable until 45 when you get your job quest gear. It's also a nice glamor set and reusable for if you ever decide to level PLD or DRK, plus it's one of the best dungeons in the game that starts a lore chain that leads all the way to the current endgame raid, and it's aaaaaal about saving gobbie heroine ultratankwarrior Brayflox's cheese from the illuminati. Also as tank you are the king/queenmaker of the Longstop, as basically the last boss has a mechanic that the tank has to deal with, and that is not putting the dragon into poison pools. If the dragon has a green up arrow in its buff bar and the game is yelling at you, get it the gently caress out of the pool. Do that and dodge some of clearly marked ground AOEs at least occasionally and you will be Dragongod Knightking of Brayflox and everyone will love you.

Until you become King And Or Queen of the Longstop, just use this as an opportunity to practice damage control, and don't get flustered. Nobody really cares if they pull aggro sometimes in low level dungeons and if they do or are mouthy about it, they're assholes who can be disregarded. When gear disparity is bad it's just bad, and even when someone like me who knows the job inside and out and how to tank, it can be difficult if not impossible for things to go by the book under an extreme gear difference. Like most MMOs, it has its own unique quirks and idiosyncrasies regarding grabbing, holding, and maintaining threat. One big one, for instance, is that the "Provoke" ability's tooltip has been packed with lies during most of the game's life. It literally just takes whomever has the most threat on a monster (which is a numerical value you can't see in the UI, but various ILLEGAL THIRD PARTY TOOLS can expose) and adds 1 to it. As such, it's useless unless immediately followed up by a ranged pull move or threat combo abilities, and quadruple useless (and in fact detrimental) to just mash it on cooldown when you have threat (a thing I see lovely noob tanks do CONSTANTLY and DON'T loving STOP EVEN WHEN YOU TELL THEM NICELY THAT'S A BAD IDEA ARGHHH.) Similarly, snap aggro (things that spawn, like adds in a boss fight) can be a tricky beast and it's going to just take raw practice and watching in horror as healers' faces are gnawed off by hellsspawn to get the best thing to do there.

Keep in mind sometimes there's assholes like me who like to be nice to people but are getting tired right now and want to push through something for whatever reason and maybe, say, they're your healer who usually plays a tank and gets pushy with pulling monsters, or they're a bow dragoon. It's honestly your choice whether to save them or let them you-pull-it-you-tank-it, but I've personally always used that as a crystal loving clear sign that I'm pacing the run too slow and need to pick it the gently caress up. There's a certain flow to dungeons it feels good to know the layout and how to move from pack to pack and do things quickly and elegantly, with none of your ADD-raddled dps (or healer) friends even ever really able to try and push ahead or pull first, and when you start to get it down you'll feel like the hotshit primadona rear end in a top hat tank you know you can and must be.

Also speaking of Provoke, you'll need to go back and level GLA to 22 for Provoke, as it's 100% vital as a cross class. It only takes a few minutes to get flash and convalescence too, which are very necessary. The major upside is you'll see how loving terrible GLA/PLD is and be very secure and confident in your choice of best tank. There's a bunch of content at 50 that requires it, so get it over with ASAP. On many of my runs I did it immediately after hitting 23 on the main just to give the full armory bonus for the whole run and play GLA as little as possible.

A finer point on gear: this is the universal Order of Gear Upgrade Priority:

Weapon >>>> Body / Legs >> Head / Feet > Belt > Accessories

Weapon damage is the god stat, and when offered more in exchange for licking genitals, your answer isn't "what?" it's "how many?" It's very important. Tanks have the unique secondary god stat of armor values on the gear, however this increases directly to ilevel and will almost never lead to a situation where you have to choose between that or something else (and whatever it is: take the higher defense).

The most interesting gearing choice for tanks is whether to put points in STR or VIT, and whether to equip jewelry with STR or VIT. When you're levelling, just get whatever you can get your grubby hands on, really, but when you have a choice, go strength. A bunch of people who don't main tank will say a bunch of nimby bimby bullshit about some answer-in-the-middle horseshit or worthless platitudes about how it might help the healer, but no. STR is great, especially for MRD/WAR which is a goddamned wrecking machine, and you don't need anywhere close to the amount of HP a full VIT stack will give you to clear anything except ultra high end poo poo (maybe). Strength will help you hold aggro from people with better gear than you and be instrumental in helping you absolutely loving wreck poo poo at all goddamned times while being an unkillable axe monster where Vitality just gives extremely lovely healers more time to gently caress up healing and let you die a full GCD later and literally nothing else. If you're still skeptical, once you get far enough (or if you can talk a bored goon into crafting some poo poo at low levels) you can totally get both and see what you like better, but you're going to enjoy wrecking poo poo, I guarantee it.

Anyway this ended up being a long dump of poo poo I Learned And Observed From My Most Recent Alt-Levelling Whim, but I hope some of it is useful and makes sense!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

With the number of people clearing A3S/A4S so far I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give out upgrade items to non-Savage folks so early this time around.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
MCH AF still the best esoterics set in the game

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it looks like an apron

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Patch notes are up. Heavy buffs to ast, medium buffs to mnk, minor buffs to mch and drk.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

Players can now see the TP bar of all party members.
To reduce system load, the values for your TP bar have been removed.

*monkey's paw finger curls inward*

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

quote:

Unleash Adjustments have been made to make enemy attack indicators visible.

what

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

medium buffs to mnk
For my cool MNK bros:

-Meditation recast down from 1.5s to 1.2s
-Forbidden Chakra: after casting, delay before next action reduced
-Tornado Kick: cooldown down from 60s to 40s
-Greased Lightning 1/2/3: Damage Buff up from 9/18/27% to 10/20/30% at 1/2/3 respectively, duration up from 12s to 14s at all levels.

I would love if they just keep continuing to make Monk more pleasant to play as they seem to be doing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I think (hope) that's just a poor translation and it means in the party window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So does this mean that AST is going to be even more busted in PVP

• Locked thread