Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MrPablo posted:

I can't say I disagree with that assessment, but I do agree that focusing on Sanders seems kind of counterproductive.

Does it? He's a populist pledging real change, I'd expect more results out of him. And people are noticing and talking, so I'd say it was successful in the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Does it? He's a populist pledging real change, I'd expect more results out of him. And people are noticing and talking, so I'd say it was successful in the moment.

Those are both good points :).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
If anybody's interested, Larry did an hour with Terry Gross today on Fresh Air. Apparently he does card tricks. Who knew.

e: for obligatory JON STEWART WAAAAH. :cry:

NPR posted:

On the advice Jon Stewart (The Nightly Show's executive producer) gave him

The biggest thing he said in the beginning — and he would almost say it with, not really anger but maybe frustration — he would say, "Hey man, stop being a host. Stop it. Just be yourself." It took a while for me to interpret it, but what it is, when you're first starting a show like that, you're acting everything because you're not comfortable yet. But you can't fool Jon. He can see right through that.

So no matter how much praise I got about the show, Jon's like, "No, no, no. You're pretending this right now. You're not owning it yet. You got to own it. You got to put your opinion out there, and you got to just get inside there and just be it." After a while, I understood what he was talking about. He was always encouraging me to raise the bar, not just in content but in making sure that my point of view was very clear and very precise and that I owned it and that I was myself. He kept pushing me into that. So that was the evolution of the show, to be honest with you. It all centered around that.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 20, 2015

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

EasyEW posted:

If anybody's interested, Larry did an hour with Terry Gross today on Fresh Air. Apparently he does card tricks. Who knew.

Thanks, this is great.

For anyone on the fence, the interview is like a 45 minute version of the monologue portion of The Nightly Show.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah I listened to that too he is a good interview........it was interesting to note that they have allegedly tried to change Larry's show quite a bit since the beginning so perhaps it's time to check it out again or at least the opening.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

As much as I wish I could condemn Hillary Clinton for whitesplaining how politics works, I've gotten pretty cynical towards the effectiveness of protesting in general after seeing OWS fizzle. I understand why some BLM leaders want to resist playing "the politicians' game", but (yes I have a "but") I am really concerned that efforts to sustain a political movement could fail because people have goldfish memory and are quite good at accepting an unjust status quo if it doesn't affect them directly. Having "uncomfortable conversations" seems to still be the same trap of "conversation" when I'd prefer urgency.

Between OWS and the recent "hey cops, don't murder black people" movements, I've noticed a few contstants that comprise the problem as I see it with modern protesting:

a) any peaceful protest will be mocked and minimized by the media, since the media is bought by interests that are probably counter to most protesting

b) any violent protest will be called a "riot" and the issues that caused it will again be minimized in favor of treating the protestors / rioters as mindless slavering rage monsters (although there will be more coverage of destruction because that's what gets the ratings)

c) in both cases, any non-participants will be either too apathetic to care and/or will be content with being armchair quarterbacks commenting on what the protesters "should" do while doing absolutely nothing to contribute

I think Hillary absolutely had a point with "you have to tell white people what they need to do" though considering the mind-boggling amount of people who somehow can't grasp what "black lives matter" means. Race politics in America are so amazingly hosed up.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 20, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well that would be ... a thing. I don't know if he has the skills to moderate a group of people debating. One on one, sure, but ...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

double nine posted:

Well that would be ... a thing. I don't know if he has the skills to moderate a group of people debating. One on one, sure, but ...

He was pretty good at getting Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala to shut the gently caress up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Between OWS and the recent "hey cops, don't murder black people" movements, I've noticed a few contstants that comprise the problem as I see it with modern protesting:

a) any peaceful protest will be mocked and minimized by the media, since the media is bought by interests that are probably counter to most protesting

b) any violent protest will be called a "riot" and the issues that caused it will again be minimized in favor of treating the protestors / rioters as mindless slavering rage monsters (although there will be more coverage of destruction because that's what gets the ratings)

The message of BLM and OWS definitely got through. The problem is that they're wrong-headed movements that the majority of Americans overwhelmingly rejected. I mean, you could keep blaming the media for not getting your message across, or you could, I don't know, listen to people who don't support you and change your message to accommodate their concerns.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon Stewart just wants to hang out with dogs and his wrestling buddies. The last thing that he wants to do is be in the same room with some politicians for 90 minutes.

Why can't we leave him alone?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

Jon Stewart just wants to hang out with dogs and his wrestling buddies. The last thing that he wants to do is be in the same room with some politicians for 90 minutes.

For the last loving time people, HE WENT TO A loving FARM UPSTATE. It's not a difficult metaphor!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Echo Chamber posted:

Because we want him to come back and be our real dad!

It's obvious just from reading this thread that Larry Wilmore doesn't know the right way to cut the crusts off of our peanut butter sandwiches.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Larry is off the next 2 weeks too.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Larry is off the next 2 weeks too.

Just like a television host to be shiftless and lazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

Just like a television host to be shiftless and lazy.

Your hero Chris Hardwick is off too.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

EasyEW posted:

Because we want him to come back and be our real dad!

It's obvious just from reading this thread that Larry Wilmore doesn't know the right way to cut the crusts off of our peanut butter sandwiches.

Accurate.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This happened at Summerslam. What a weird and wonderful world we live in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Chasing his dream.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

The message of BLM and OWS definitely got through. The problem is that they're wrong-headed movements that the majority of Americans overwhelmingly rejected. I mean, you could keep blaming the media for not getting your message across, or you could, I don't know, listen to people who don't support you and change your message to accommodate their concerns.

Sure, okay.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Supersonic Shine posted:

By far the best part of it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Jon Stewart doing a heel turn in New York, if you're not aware of the context.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stewart owed him for the nutshot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

Both Stephen Amell and Jon Stewart doing dumb wrestling things? AND Stewart going heel? Maybe I need to watch wrestling again.

The best part is that he almost forgot to give the chair back to Rollins.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Kibayasu posted:

Both Stephen Amell and Jon Stewart doing dumb wrestling things? AND Stewart going heel? Maybe I need to watch wrestling again.

The best part is that he almost forgot to give the chair back to Rollins.

It's a great time to watch. Just ignore the massive Internet Wrestling Community that hates everything.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jon Stewart is a Summerslam Criminal and he should he ashamed of himself! :mad:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhonne posted:

Jon Stewart is a Summerslam Criminal and he should he ashamed of himself! :mad:

Did you see that beard? That was Jon Stewart from the evil alternate dimension.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And then this happened on Raw.

I think we all have to accept that continuing to follow Stewart's career now means getting into wrestling.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

raditts posted:

Did you see that beard? That was Jon Stewart from the evil alternate dimension.

Dude retired like 2 weeks ago and he's already stolen Colbert's beard.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

haveblue posted:

I think we all have to accept that continuing to follow Stewart's career now means getting into wrestling.

:rip: Jon Stewart

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

At least he's having fun. :shobon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

At least he's having fun. :shobon:

I think how much fun he had will be determined on how well he took that fall :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Jon Cena did a finisher on an old man who worked to get benefits for 9/11 workers, and is still the good guy in the context of that plot.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 25, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Justin_Brett posted:

Jon Cena did a finisher on an old man who worked to get benefits for 9/11 workers, and is still the good guy in the context of that plot.

Just because Hitler loved dogs doesn't mean he wasn't a bad guy for declaring war on the US.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Just because Hitler loved dogs doesn't mean he wasn't a bad guy for declaring war on the US.

so.... what you're saying is he was a good guy for declaring war on the Jews?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The bad guy in that storyline is whatever rear end in a top hat got Ric Flair to say he respects John Cena and that he should be the one to tie his record.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

so.... what you're saying is he was a good guy for declaring war on the Jews?

If its okay when the Palestinians do it, why is it not okay for Hitler?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Irish Joe posted:

If its okay when the Palestinians do it, why is it not okay for Hitler?

Hitler was part Jewish.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Noah is going to have his work cut out for him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man that interview with Judith Miller never gets easier to watch. Just straight up lies and lies as John gets more and more tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man that interview with Judith Miller never gets easier to watch. Just straight up lies and lies as John gets more and more tired.

And now we know why he retired. Who would want to deal with that instead of breaking chairs over people in wrasslin?

• Locked thread