Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I LIKE hiding from monsters, it embraces the lovecraftian idea that the monsters are insurmountable and you can only survive by escaping their notice

Sadly lockers reduce to this to pretty simple, boring poo poo. Only Alien has really made the enemy actively search the room for you and even that game you can usually figure out a great hiding spot you don't usually use to outsmart the adaptive AI.

Some game where the AI knows beyond doubt you're in this room and won't leave until it's searched everything would be horrifying. You know at some point you have to leg it but you don't want to be seen, as the enemy is quickly searching under/over everything. I understand devs don't want the AI to be impossible blood hounds but it's sucks serious nuts when you run into some room, hide inside a locker and watch the monster search under a single bed and gives up. I want my monster to savagely tear apart the room trying to get to you, while you're making GBS threads your pants hiding in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Promise? This is exactly why I haven't picked up Isolation so far despite my love of the film. How does it actually play out, then? I feel like every other post I read about the game mentions waiting for the Alien to leave, making for the exit, then watching the Alien pop right back out of the same spot and having to go back to hiding - it sounded even worse than the usual tedium, but I'd be really happy to have misjudged this one.

re: Siren, I'll definitely give it credit for doing something more interesting with the idea, but I'm not sure I'd go all the way to praising its execution. Caveat: I only played the original, maybe the design got more cohesive as they went. Is there a version you think works particularly well?

Alien Isolation is a proper stealth game, as opposed to Amnesia's mostly scripted events. The alien exists in the game world persistently and will patrol and follow you around, as well as slowly learn your habits and lay in wait itself. You have to move quickly or it'll pinpoint your location and kill you, but change your tactics enough so it doesn't catch on and figure you out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Alien Isolation is a proper stealth game, as opposed to Amnesia's mostly scripted events. The alien exists in the game world persistently and will patrol and follow you around, as well as slowly learn your habits and lay in wait itself. You have to move quickly or it'll pinpoint your location and kill you, but change your tactics enough so it doesn't catch on and figure you out.

Yeah, if you hide in lockers too much or stay in one place too often, the alien WILL find and destroy you in Isolation. It can smell you. The only safe way to evade it is to keep moving, and just make sure it's not around the next blind corner you walk into.

Besides the alien, the androids on the station genuinely creeped me out, even if it wasn't the same level of threat.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
If you love the film, Isolation will be god drat excellent, it's *almost* everything you could hope Alien to be in game form and it's challenging enough to keep you on your feet even if you can outsmart it by hiding in key locations (it'll often track you down where you are in a open space with very little hiding). Also the game actually makes the Xeno faster than you so you can't just outrun it like every other loving horror game on the market, and there's no OH NO DRAMATIC music when it finds you, you just hear rushing foot steps behind you and stab stab you're done. It's miles above dark descent in my opinion.

Grab the safe haven DLC, the rest is poo poo.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 25, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i recall the AI of the alien was programmed to check how many times you have done a certain stealth action (hide under desk, hide in locker, squat walking) and will "learn" and use that against you. the prime example is if you use the flamethrower one too many times, it will stop having any effect whatsoever

amnesia is the one with the bug where if you hold a chair out in front of you, the monster can't see/approach you?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lockers are death traps in Isolation, also the Alien tends to 'sniff' you out if you stay in one area for too long. The best tactic by far is to keep moving whenever you have the chance and make use of distractions like flares and noisemakers when necessary.

Also the Alien will 'learn' your behavior if you keep repeating it so you better be able to adapt. It's honestly implemented well and makes the Alien a lot scarier than if it were just scripted.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

One of the most horrifying things in the game is where you start using vents too often, and at some point you're minding your own business in one and you hear the distant sound of the vent door opening. God drat I'll never try this game in VR.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

Lockers are death traps in Isolation, also the Alien tends to 'sniff' you out if you stay in one area for too long. The best tactic by far is to keep moving whenever you have the chance and make use of distractions like flares and noisemakers when necessary.

Also the Alien will 'learn' your behavior if you keep repeating it so you better be able to adapt. It's honestly implemented well and makes the Alien a lot scarier than if it were just scripted.

I like the dynamic with the flamethrower: scorching it once or twice will make it flee, but if you keep doing it, it'll become more resistant to the fire, but it will also pause and be wary if you just pull it out. After that it flat-out ignores the fire and kills you, but I think it'll eventually learn that if you're out of fuel and the pilot light isn't on, it'll realize that it won't work and will rush you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah the stealth in alien isolation is ok. It's more about keeping a desk in between you to break LOS than finding a hiding spot. Sadly, I think the flamethrower removes alot of the tension from the game. Even after the alien starts adapting to it, it still gives a lot of leeway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It does at first but I like how after so much frantic sneaking around they give you a way to fight, but then start slowly taking it away again. You go from coward to action hero, but you slowly lose your grasp on that as the effect of the flames get weaker and weaker until they don't work anymore, and it is all your fault

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been watching a walkthrough of Until Dawn and had a quick question about a moment concerning Josh and Ashley I heard it's possible to save everyone but it looked like someone has to die to the saw blade, right? Is there a way to get them both out?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The devs should make Isolation its own series rather than just make Alien again. We could have Terminator: Isolation or maybe even Predator.

The Thing: Isolation. :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I like the dynamic with the flamethrower: scorching it once or twice will make it flee, but if you keep doing it, it'll become more resistant to the fire, but it will also pause and be wary if you just pull it out. After that it flat-out ignores the fire and kills you, but I think it'll eventually learn that if you're out of fuel and the pilot light isn't on, it'll realize that it won't work and will rush you.

The alien won't ever ignore the fire, but if you spray it with the flamethrower when it's in mid-charge then it'll body-check your rear end into a wall and run off. The tackle hurts a lot but it's better than the alien's usual one-hit kills.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BillBear posted:

The devs should make Isolation its own series rather than just make Alien again. We could have Terminator: Isolation or maybe even Predator.

I'd be extremely down with this.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Promise? This is exactly why I haven't picked up Isolation so far despite my love of the film. How does it actually play out, then? I feel like every other post I read about the game mentions waiting for the Alien to leave, making for the exit, then watching the Alien pop right back out of the same spot and having to go back to hiding - it sounded even worse than the usual tedium, but I'd be really happy to have misjudged this one.

Everyone else has jumped on this as well, but to your specific concerns the stealth in A:I is very much designed to keep you moving. Waiting in one spot only makes it more likely the xenomorph will find you. You're actually being hunted, so the stealth is about making progress via cover as quickly as you can, and digging into your bag of tricks if you make a mistake or get surprised. A lot of people didn't understand this about the game when it came out and played it like Amnesia, which led to them hiding in vents and lockers forever, getting eaten over and over, and then making the posts you're referring to.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really liked Heavy Rain, right up until they revealed the identity of the killer. It totally had me, until I realized that that ending was pre-scripted and would not change even with multiple play-throughs.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

PantsBandit posted:

Been watching a walkthrough of Until Dawn and had a quick question about a moment concerning Josh and Ashley I heard it's possible to save everyone but it looked like someone has to die to the saw blade, right? Is there a way to get them both out?

keep watching.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Thing game would probably work best as a replayable Adventure game where who is a Thing is randomized on each playthrough. Stuff around your base keeps breaking down, you need to send people out and separate just to fix it all...but if you're sending someone out with a Thing, they get Thing-ized too.

If you keep track of it all, you might be able to determine who is and is not a Thing just by keeping track of who you think was where and when, but...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Speedball posted:

A Thing game would probably work best as a replayable Adventure game where who is a Thing is randomized on each playthrough. Stuff around your base keeps breaking down, you need to send people out and separate just to fix it all...but if you're sending someone out with a Thing, they get Thing-ized too.

If you keep track of it all, you might be able to determine who is and is not a Thing just by keeping track of who you think was where and when, but...

The Thing game that came out for the PS2 was legitimately not bad in this respect. It was a rough game in a lot of ways, and it relied a lot on grinding you down with little mobs til you were out of ammo, but there was a combination of pre-scripted characters turning into Things, and random events where if someone was infected for long enough they'd sort of change at a moment's notice.

You also had a serum you could inject people with to determine if they were infected, that was hilarious good fun.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I would love to see the Alien: Isolation guys take on The Thing, but only if there's a cool multiplayer mode where you have to figure out who The Thing is. With some clever design it could really work and be tense as hell. Make it so that the players have to split up sometimes, allow there to be a limited number of bloodtests per game, and encourage cooperation so that players need to stick together in some way. Emphasize that, once you join the ranks of The Thing, you can still get rewards for winning so that players don't just reveal who the first player was the moment they get ganked.

I think, ideally, for this to work there would need to be a large number of players available. Possibly at least 8? I dunno. I don't really know enough about game design to know if something like this would even be plausible, but I'd play the poo poo out of it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

BlackFrost posted:

I would love to see the Alien: Isolation guys take on The Thing, but only if there's a cool multiplayer mode where you have to figure out who The Thing is. With some clever design it could really work and be tense as hell. Make it so that the players have to split up sometimes, allow there to be a limited number of bloodtests per game, and encourage cooperation so that players need to stick together in some way. Emphasize that, once you join the ranks of The Thing, you can still get rewards for winning so that players don't just reveal who the first player was the moment they get ganked.

I think, ideally, for this to work there would need to be a large number of players available. Possibly at least 8? I dunno. I don't really know enough about game design to know if something like this would even be plausible, but I'd play the poo poo out of it.

This game would rule so much. gently caress Konami for putting Del Toro off games for good, him making this sort of game would own. :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It does at first but I like how after so much frantic sneaking around they give you a way to fight, but then start slowly taking it away again. You go from coward to action hero, but you slowly lose your grasp on that as the effect of the flames get weaker and weaker until they don't work anymore, and it is all your fault

Unless you are seriously taking your sweet time to do everything, it really won't matter until the very end. Fun game, but it definitely has some rough spots. But it is definitely worth the $20-30 you will pay for it at this point.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

BillBear posted:

I would legit play Home Alone: Isolation

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

demota posted:

I would legit play Home Alone: Isolation

You must staple all the glass wool roll in the attic before your parents come back.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

BillBear posted:

This game would rule so much. gently caress Konami for putting Del Toro off games for good, him making this sort of game would own. :(

Del Toro and Kojima are still working on a non-Silent Hill project, that's all we know though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MockingQuantum posted:

The Thing game that came out for the PS2 was legitimately not bad in this respect. It was a rough game in a lot of ways, and it relied a lot on grinding you down with little mobs til you were out of ammo, but there was a combination of pre-scripted characters turning into Things, and random events where if someone was infected for long enough they'd sort of change at a moment's notice.

You also had a serum you could inject people with to determine if they were infected, that was hilarious good fun.

I really liked it, but the trust mechanic and Thing transformations were actually super broken as poo poo. Like, determine that someone isn't infected, then take a step or two forward, trigger a random infection and the guy you just checked would turn. A new game would be awesome though, I would love it.

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Del Toro and Kojima are still working on a non-Silent Hill project, that's all we know though.

Didn't Del Toro just announce that after all his attempts to make a video game fell through that he wouldn't try again?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alien isolation is, without hyperbole, probably the greatest human achievement in the last 40 years.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Until Dawn is really fun. Just played the intro segment and MAN it nails the "cabin in the woods" feel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm sympathetic to most complaints about Machine because it did mostly suck, but these people are wrong and bad. Hiding from a monster is the worst idea to hit games since pressing X to not die; it's boring, completely non-interactive, and wastes a totally arbitrary amount of time. It still kind of floors me that designers are so lazy about it - you could salvage something from the idea if there was a way and need to move rapidly between different hiding places, or combine it with distractions at key moments, or basically anything other than going to make tea while you wait for the monster to stop pretending it might look in the locker you're in. Amnesia was ok despite, not because of, any worthless hiding bullshit.

except that most horror is hiding/avoiding something monstrous.

though the "hiding in lockers" bullshit in isolation is terrible. it really should work more like stealth games, i loved doing a stealth pacifist run of human revolution. i don't like the sanity thing in amnesia at all.

BillBear posted:

If you love the film, Isolation will be god drat excellent, it's *almost* everything you could hope Alien to be in game form and it's challenging enough to keep you on your feet even if you can outsmart it by hiding in key locations (it'll often track you down where you are in a open space with very little hiding). Also the game actually makes the Xeno faster than you so you can't just outrun it like every other loving horror game on the market, and there's no OH NO DRAMATIC music when it finds you, you just hear rushing foot steps behind you and stab stab you're done. It's miles above dark descent in my opinion.

aliens and aliens are two of my fave movies and I did not like the game.

also it does do the oh no dramatic music. and ther'es bullshit like the alien jumping up into the ducts and then attacking from a place it couldn't have come from.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 25, 2015

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

catlord posted:

Didn't Del Toro just announce that after all his attempts to make a video game fell through that he wouldn't try again?

Aw gently caress, yeah he did :(

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/guillermo-del-toro-says-he-doesnt-want-to-make-ano/1100-6429754/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought the continuing collaboration with Kojima stuff came later, but the whole mess has been difficult to follow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was funny that even though PT is scary as hell they literally put in the very first screamer i ever saw on the internet (and it made me laugh and ruined the mood they set)

BlackFrost posted:

this is my dream game and i've considered trying something in UE4 since i'm learning it now but it's hard to figure out fun/good objectives/what will keep people from griefing and poo poo.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 26, 2015

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

BlackFrost posted:

You're basically describing a videogame version of Panic Station.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Groovelord Neato posted:

except that most horror is hiding/avoiding something monstrous.

though the "hiding in lockers" bullshit in isolation is terrible. it really should work more like stealth games, i loved doing a stealth pacifist run of human revolution. i don't like the sanity thing in amnesia at all.

aliens and aliens are two of my fave movies and I did not like the game.

also it does do the oh no dramatic music. and ther'es bullshit like the alien jumping up into the ducts and then attacking from a place it couldn't have come from.

Nah, the alien has rules that it always obeys. The only time it doesn't obey those rules is for a cutscene. If you got killed from what you thought was a bullshit direction, it's because YOU hosed up, not the alien.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Until Dawn is really fun. Just played the intro segment and MAN it nails the "cabin in the woods" feel

The movie, or the trope?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Until Dawn is pretty neat so far. It's the interactive DVD taken to its most extreme and I'm fine with that. They lay the cliches on thick but I've got to be honest there are a few moments that get to me. A couple of obvious jump scares but also classic horror movie framing where the distance the camera is from the left or right of the screen leads in to a cut or an object obscures something startling until it's suddenly moved. It's a love letter to both cheesy teen slashers but also horror masters like Wes Craven and John Carpenter. If the wave of QTE movies doesn't excite you then skip it but I think horror fans have a lot to admire.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Nah, the alien has rules that it always obeys. The only time it doesn't obey those rules is for a cutscene. If you got killed from what you thought was a bullshit direction, it's because YOU hosed up, not the alien.

thanks for making fun of the "isolation is good" posts better than i could

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

are there any good LP of Until Dawn that doesn't involve a/multiple screaming LPer(s)?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

I LIKE hiding from monsters, it embraces the lovecraftian idea that the monsters are insurmountable and you can only survive by escaping their notice

The Lovecraftian idea that monsters are insurmountable except when you drive a boat into them or blow up their reef with dynamite or call the cops or just like, kinda talk with them a while and then decide to wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a shame that only game where you drive the bow of your boat into the monster to defeat it is Jaws for the Nintendo Entertainment System