Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Zombie Samurai posted:

The further I get into this game, the less sense it makes that these are even optional.

More options are a good thing. If people want to play without certain aspects of the game, let them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

botany posted:

More options are a good thing. If people want to play without certain aspects of the game, let them.

Yeah. I think these 'intended to be hard' games really benefit from user controlled difficulty. Invisible Inc does this really well. It makes it entirely clear that the game is balanced and tuned at the Expert level, but there's a whole range of settings to make the game much easier for learning purposes, and allowing less serious players to still have a good time.

As long as they don't try to balance explicitly for that beginner level of play, there's no harm done to the 'core' experience.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Coolguye posted:

I wish they had a more clear roadmap for the end of the game as far as features go. It's a little awkward not knowing what the end game is - obviously, Darkest Dungeon is going to be a thing, and they've mentioned that retreating is disabled for a trip into DD, but it's less clear on if the game is going to have any game over criteria at all, win or lose.
The only thing I'm sure of with regards to the Darkest Dungeon is that retreating being disabled is going to be optional. If people threw this much of a shitfit over corpses, which are super not a big deal, they are going to lose their minds over that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

may contain peanuts posted:

The only thing I'm sure of with regards to the Darkest Dungeon is that retreating being disabled is going to be optional. If people threw this much of a shitfit over corpses, which are super not a big deal, they are going to lose their minds over that.

It gets worse: the devs have said that the Darkest Dungeon will be multiple missions long, and you can't send a character in more than once.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I understood that to apply for the final mission only, but it's early yet, so we'll see.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Yo yo yo gently caress those fancy boy gay skeletons in the pimp attire who throw their pimp cups of stress in your face non-stop poo poo is wack and now I gotta have a jester jammin' on his guitar non-stop if I don't want my dudes to melt down about having half a pint of skeleton grape drank thrown on their armour cause there's no way you're one-shotting those faggots cause they are as dodgy as gently caress.

EDIT: Also gently caress Plague Doctor and gently caress Grave Digger and semi-gently caress Bounty Hunter. YO.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

botany posted:

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah. I think these 'intended to be hard' games really benefit from user controlled difficulty. Invisible Inc does this really well. It makes it entirely clear that the game is balanced and tuned at the Expert level, but there's a whole range of settings to make the game much easier for learning purposes, and allowing less serious players to still have a good time.

As long as they don't try to balance explicitly for that beginner level of play, there's no harm done to the 'core' experience.

Invisible Inc might be my favorite game of all time, and I was going to compare turning corpses off to something ridiculous like turning the alarm tracker off... but I just checked and apparently that's something you can do, so nevermind! :kiddo:

I agree that more options are a good thing. I think because I started playing after corpses were added, I see them as more core to the experience than other people and thought it strange that you could just turn something like that off. Like others have said, my only real concern is that they might balance around no corpses or no heart attacks, though so far they've made clear noises that they're not going to.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yo yo yo gently caress those fancy boy gay skeletons in the pimp attire who throw their pimp cups of stress in your face non-stop poo poo is wack and now I gotta have a jester jammin' on his guitar non-stop if I don't want my dudes to melt down about having half a pint of skeleton grape drank thrown on their armour cause there's no way you're one-shotting those faggots cause they are as dodgy as gently caress.

EDIT: Also gently caress Plague Doctor and gently caress Grave Digger and semi-gently caress Bounty Hunter. YO.

:agreed:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish there was an option of removing the level cap instead of having to mod that out

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture...

Hey, remember when I said this?

Zombie Samurai posted:

It's absolutely trivial to keep your people from stressing to death

The universe heard me because my new highwayman and houndmaster turned into abusive assholes and gave each other hate-fueled heart attacks. My more experienced party members survived, but not without a healthy phobia from the experience.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

graverobber is a cool and classy lady, and bounty hunter owns.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Does anyone else have the issue of the afflictions and heroic bonuses just showing up as white squares?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

graverobber is a cool and classy lady, and bounty hunter owns.

I have revised my opinion somewhat.

Graverobber cool if you spec her so she can disco dance back and forth shanking fools and then raining knives on chumps.
Houndmaster rules doggies are cool and hitting people in the face with a club is also cool.
Bounty Hunter probably rules but I am too lazy to figure out his back and forth hook shenanigans so gently caress him.
Crusader can S my D he is basically the lamest of all the front-row face smashers.
Plague Doctor still sucks fuckin' little bitch with his useless buffs and debuffs and his stupid stress problems. Or possibly her.
Guitar Solo Jester p4p best and most useful class.

Those big-titty cultists who use stressy tentacles and are impossible to hit can gently caress right off. As can those stupid mushroom men with a zillion H.P and those fuckin' pig drummers. Also can gently caress off: Everything costing a zillion deeds, the loving caretaker who prays all day when my stupid religious Man-At-Arms needs to unwind, the way if I buy some shovels I will get about 50 shovels in loot..

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Plague Doctor is the best. Disagree and you get the leeches. Also, she's female.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Bounty Hunter is a versatile, reliable melee fighter from anywhere but the back row, and his Collect Bounty attack absolutely ruins marked enemies. His camp buffs are also crazy strong. Bring him along whenever you plan to fight bosses and/or size 2 enemies. His flashbang is quite handy as well.

Crusader stuffs undead enemies in lockers and then stuffs those lockers inside larger lockers, which he then throws off a cliff. He's hands down the Best at murdering undead is what I'm saying. He also gets Holy Lance, which means he doesn't give a gently caress about getting shuffled into the back, and he has a pretty good heal skill for emergencies. He's really good and you're wrong sorry.

Plague Doctor is an extremely versatile class with lots of useful abilities and camp skills. She's not supposed to be a straightforward raw damage dealer and if you try to use her that way, it is not the PD that sucks, it is you that sucks :colbert:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I wish Heart Attacks weren't always heart attacks. Put some "runs naked into the darkness" (no corpse) and "goes catatonic and will not do anything but sit on the floor" (leave him behind or abandon mission for a small chance of asylum cure) into the mix.

Asylum should have a list of permanent patients, too, kinda like the graveyard.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Crusader stuffs undead enemies in lockers and then stuffs those lockers inside larger lockers, which he then throws off a cliff. He's hands down the Best at murdering undead is what I'm saying. He also gets Holy Lance, which means he doesn't give a gently caress about getting shuffled into the back, and he has a pretty good heal skill for emergencies. He's really good and you're wrong sorry.
He's particularly good in the ruins, where most of the monsters you come across are unholy. I keep two Crusaders on the roster at all times pretty much just for Ruins runs.

Actually come to think of it double Houndmaster for Warrens runs might be a thing, since I think they get bonus damage to beasts and I think the pig men are considered beasts. But I've never tried it.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Is it weird that I pretty much refuse to bring two of the same class on missions, to the point of almost never recruiting any duplicates until I have one of each?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Astro Ambulance posted:

Is it weird that I pretty much refuse to bring two of the same class on missions, to the point of almost never recruiting any duplicates until I have one of each?

Eh, I do the same

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Astro Ambulance posted:

Same, it just feels more interesting not to.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Guitar Solo Jester p4p best and most useful class.
What the gently caress, what alternate reality do you come from? :psyduck:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

may contain peanuts posted:

Actually come to think of it double Houndmaster for Warrens runs might be a thing, since I think they get bonus damage to beasts and I think the pig men are considered beasts. But I've never tried it.

Also because the constant Warrens stress buildup can be immediately nuked away at camp by two bearded men saying "look. Look how cute these dogs are. You should pet the dogs. Hug the dogs. Who cares about the barf pigs, look at these adorable puppies who love you."

Houndmaster camp skills are the greatest, and sending a hero to the brink of insanity amidst Lovecraftian horror and then bringing them back by showing them a happy dog will never stop being the most :unsmith: thing.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also because the constant Warrens stress buildup can be immediately nuked away at camp by two bearded men saying "look. Look how cute these dogs are. You should pet the dogs. Hug the dogs. Who cares about the barf pigs, look at these adorable puppies who love you."

Houndmaster camp skills are the greatest, and sending a hero to the brink of insanity amidst Lovecraftian horror and then bringing them back by showing them a happy dog will never stop being the most :unsmith: thing.
Personally I love that he heals himself by hugging his dog

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

You might be bad at this game if a character ever dies from a heart attack.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Crusader's in-combat stress heal can be used to cheese your stress to nothing. At the end of fights when you are down to one weak back row enemy in the front spot have him stress heal, a healer heal, and the rest shuffle around and you basically start every fight fresh.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Paolomania posted:

Crusader's in-combat stress heal can be used to cheese your stress to nothing. At the end of fights when you are down to one weak back row enemy in the front spot have him stress heal, a healer heal, and the rest shuffle around and you basically start every fight fresh.

I'm new but my guys start making snide comments and giving the party ~10 stress around round 8, which I figure is to combat exactly that tactic.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nosre posted:

I'm new but my guys start making snide comments and giving the party ~10 stress around round 8, which I figure is to combat exactly that tactic.
Yeah they added that a couple months ago to prevent people from just keeping one enemy alive and healing everyone to full. As long as you use one damaging attack though, whether it hits or not, it won't trigger. So I think you could just put up mark over and over or something.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Does hitting a corpse for damage work to cheese that mechanic? I'd laugh if just standing around healing and kicking dead stuff worked while stunning the one caster from the back row.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I usually have one guy throwing marks/debuffs/corpse-hits

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I just bought this game the other day and I really like it. I got the impression that I was supposed to be sacrificing the lovely adventurers I get and maybe get some gold and heirlooms out of it. Now I have something like 40k saved up. Do I eventually use it to upgrade armor and stuff or something?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Struensee posted:

I just bought this game the other day and I really like it. I got the impression that I was supposed to be sacrificing the lovely adventurers I get and maybe get some gold and heirlooms out of it. Now I have something like 40k saved up. Do I eventually use it to upgrade armor and stuff or something?

:confused:

If you've got 40k you've probably had the two upgrade buildings unlocked for like 30k of that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah by the time you get 40K there are a bunch of buildings that have undoubtedly opened up to invest gold into everything from improving camp skills to upgrading weapons, armor, and trepanning the illnesses out of adventurers.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
But what about getting the reduced cost upgrades first?

I guess it's the same thing where I always end up saving up a shitload of potions in basically any RPG ever.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Reduced cost upgrades are one of the last things you should get, honestly. I'd say the first thing you want is to upgrade both parts of the cart once, then armor, the guild, weapons, and one or two stress relievers. Armor is probably more important than weapons just because it gives you more speed. Keeping your weapons, armor, and skills upgraded is the best return on your investment because it makes everything else easier and reduces your stress buildup. It also lets you blaze through no-torch short dungeons for tons of loot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Struensee posted:

But what about getting the reduced cost upgrades first?

I guess it's the same thing where I always end up saving up a shitload of potions in basically any RPG ever.

Not that I'm an expert at this game by any stretch, but I try to upgrade buildings as I use them. If I end up needing to assign an adventurer to some slot whose next upgrade is a cost reduction, yeah I'll invest before I finalize the assignment so that I can save the 13% or 16% or whatever. But it's probably excessive to wait until you can seriously upgrade the buildings before you actually use them.

The more I'm playing this, the more I wish that the game didn't make dungeons layouts that were so bogus. It seems like, frequently, there are quests to explore 90% of a dungeon, but the layout involves a ton of backtracking and wasted time because if I don't plot out my movements just right then I'm going to get to the complete opposite side of the dungeon and find out I still haven't met the mission criteria.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The vast majority of medium / long dungeons are impossible to complete without a good bit of backtracking.

There are also occasionally "short" missions that are total bullshit, because they have like 12 rooms and 4 room battles and are, for all intents and purposes, medium-length. I always hate those because I never bring enough shovels or torches for it, and I don't notice until it's too late because I am dumb and don't check the map right away.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Backtracking only consumes like 10% of the normal torchlight anyway, so unless you get unlucky with Hunger events (which can happen regardless) it's not a big deal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It also seems to have been made more forgiving in terms of stress. I might be imagining it, but my heroes seem to freak out a lot less while backtracking than they did in the earlier releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Does hitting a corpse for damage work to cheese that mechanic? I'd laugh if just standing around healing and kicking dead stuff worked while stunning the one caster from the back row.

Corpses are probably not going to last long enough, I think they disappear on their own after three rounds or so.