Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Volt Catfish posted:

I know MCH gets some value out of switching in and out of Gauss Barrel when the situation requires, but I don't know 60 bard at all: is it staying in Minuet all the time?

Not a bard, but what I hear bandied about is "drop minuet if not doing so would lose you 2 GCDs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Space Mako posted:

I don't think anything is known about the invisible city. But the floating islands was the City of Nym whereas something like the Wanderer's Palace is a part of the nation of Nym.

So yeah, they're mostly in Outer La Noscea but they were supposedly seafarers as well. I think it was a mistranslation.

Both Nym and Amdapor were full of badass wizards so the fact that one was in La Noscea and the other sat between the Black Shroud and Thanalan probably didn't stop them from having wizard battles. I do kind of like how the lore team has worked out a history of previous civilizations that goes several major collapses back, even though Allagan has had the bulk of the "ancient empire" attention so far.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Volt Catfish posted:

I know MCH gets some value out of switching in and out of Gauss Barrel when the situation requires, but I don't know 60 bard at all: is it staying in Minuet all the time?
I've actually heard you should be barely ever switching out of it for either unless you REALLY need mobility, since if you just need to move for 1 or 2 GCDs you can fill them with Feint.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For some reason I can't pictures the story behind the Eighty Sins of Sasamo not involving a lalafel being stuffed in a barrel and punted down the steps. :haw:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The AST changes have me pretty excited:
-I think the cards are still kind of boring overall (I was hoping for less generic stuff when I first heard about AST), but they're at least considerably more effective with double the base duration.

-The potency changes are quite nice and the Synastry change is huge and gives the AST the interesting niche of "absolutely insane throughput on a relatively long cooldown" on the healing end of things.

-I still think being able to stance dance the healer stances would have been a more fun and dynamic way to approach them, but at least they both seem quite solid now so it's not a terribly big deal.

In closing, I'm gonna hop back to levelling up AST and strongly consider switching over from SCH, depending on which playstyle I end up enjoying more. I'm rather fond of the amount of instant casts the AST has up its sleeves, I always did favor mobile healers.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Thundarr posted:

Both Nym and Amdapor were full of badass wizards so the fact that one was in La Noscea and the other sat between the Black Shroud and Thanalan probably didn't stop them from having wizard battles. I do kind of like how the lore team has worked out a history of previous civilizations that goes several major collapses back, even though Allagan has had the bulk of the "ancient empire" attention so far.

At this point, are there any civilizations that are older than the Allagan empire?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

At this point, are there any civilizations that are older than the Allagan empire?

The Allagans come from the 3rd astral era, meaning there were two growth/collapse cycles before them, and 4 after (with the calamity being the seventh collapse).

e: if you're asking whether we know anything about the civilizations from the 1st or 2nd eras, I don't know

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think there was one mentioned somewhere that was 3rd astral era. Thald'nak or something?

E: oh I thought allagan was 4th :saddowns:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any good crafting sites where I can list out multiple items I want to craft and it breaks down all the items I need for them? That way I don't have to go one by one through the list and write down all the mats I need. I could make one trip to the market board instead of having to keep returning.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

For some reason I can't pictures the story behind the Eighty Sins of Sasamo not involving a lalafel being stuffed in a barrel and punted down the steps. :haw:

Those lalafell that survived the journey would later go on to become the Monetarists and seek revenge against the schoolyard bullies who would do this to them.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Are there any good crafting sites where I can list out multiple items I want to craft and it breaks down all the items I need for them? That way I don't have to go one by one through the list and write down all the mats I need. I could make one trip to the market board instead of having to keep returning.

https://ffxivcrafting.com

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is it ever appropriate for a Tank or Healer to use the LB? I'm curious to see what one looks like but I can't think of a situation where it would be more beneficial than putting out more damage.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Is it ever appropriate for a Tank or Healer to use the LB? I'm curious to see what one looks like but I can't think of a situation where it would be more beneficial than putting out more damage.

When it's a wipe and you have 3 full bars for funsies. Currently though all the savage stuff benefits more from the dps lb to meet the requirements/make it go faster. (at least savage a1+a2).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If it's a dungeon use the LB when the final boss is at <7% or so to troll the dps who didn't use it sooner

I think the only legit use of the tank LB was in turn 13? Never did it so I can't say for certain. Healer LB is when a wipe is incoming, a healer's still alive, and you got three bars which is pretty rare circumstances.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

When t13 was current, tank LB3 was used to survive the final phase transition. You can see that happen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfcrBZVKbU&feature=youtu.be&t=518

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SirPhoebos posted:

I used healer LB3 once to get everyone back up in WoD, it was glorious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatRedSpirit posted:

If it's a dungeon use the LB when the final boss is at <7% or so to troll the dps who didn't use it sooner

I think the only legit use of the tank LB was in turn 13? Never did it so I can't say for certain. Healer LB is when a wipe is incoming, a healer's still alive, and you got three bars which is pretty rare circumstances.

You also use tank LB in Ultima hard mode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bardmode Ultima it wasn't necessary but made life easier. LB3 at the beginning of the FCOB cycle was absolutely necessary to survive teraflare. By the time most of the group was creeping in on i130, an LB2 was all we ever would have or need.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Perfect. Never knew about the shopping cart functionality.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sometimes a tank LB on story Garuda's phase change helps too, if the rocks get too hosed up or the healer isn't keeping up. That's the only time it's ever really appropriate in leveling content.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bardmode Ultima it wasn't necessary but made life easier. LB3 at the beginning of the FCOB cycle was absolutely necessary to survive teraflare. By the time most of the group was creeping in on i130, an LB2 was all we ever would have or need.

How does unsync t13 go these days, since you aren't getting limit break anymore? Does everyone having 14k HP make it no longer important?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

should just be a redirect to the suicide hotline imo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

When it's a wipe and you have 3 full bars for funsies. Currently though all the savage stuff benefits more from the dps lb to meet the requirements/make it go faster. (at least savage a1+a2).

I've used LB3 as a healer a handful of times when all but like 3 people are dead. I've done it during the Cloud of Darkness fight and during the A1 fight.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

kafziel posted:

How does unsync t13 go these days, since you aren't getting limit break anymore? Does everyone having 14k HP make it no longer important?

Stoneskin is enough to survive without Sacred Soil or Succor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvxKXOi-JAo&t=344s

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That level 50 DRK quest :stare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time during Mog extreme, memento moogle whiffed on the bard because he was rezzing, so he lb3ed and we easily won before the second memento moogle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Still owns.

Still want darkside player character to heal dungeons

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I've used LB3 as a healer a handful of times when all but like 3 people are dead. I've done it during the Cloud of Darkness fight and during the A1 fight.

I used it for the first time on Cloud a couple weeks ago after repeated meteor fuckups, and now I know it has a maximum range.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

One time during Mog extreme, memento moogle whiffed on the bard because he was rezzing, so he lb3ed and we easily won before the second memento moogle.

I wouldn't trade the badass rain of glowing arrows for the world, but I kinda wish they were healing arrows instead. I used to run first coil training groups with an old fc, and I've often been the last one alive at the end of fights. It was weirdly common that I'd save the day in last phase of T5 with a clutch heal lb. It always felt incredibly badass and I miss that a little.

yoship please let me pick my lb, bard is a swiss army knife already come onnnn.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
My group got our A1S clear! The loot treadmill begins.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My favorite thing about that quest line is seeing people in the free company go "Wait Fray is a woman??" long before they have a hint of what's really going on

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AS3 sure is something

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

AS3 sure is something

*tether_pass.gif*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What's the best DPS class for Seal Rock?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mordiceius posted:

most of them are okay, the ranged ones fare better than others. I have a LOT of success with MCH but that's just me, and i hear great things about SMN

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Paladin with full VIT gear. Make sure you keep Shield Oath on for extra survivability. Nobody will be able to kill you so you'll be able to do a lot of DPS! Play Adders, they're the best team by far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Paladin with full VIT gear. Make sure you keep Shield Oath on for extra survivability. Nobody will be able to kill you so you'll be able to do a lot of DPS! Play Adders, they're the best team by far.

Well, first of all, I'm MAELSTRONG, but the reason I ask is because sometimes I just get tired of healing and want to kill someone but I'll never kill anything as AST.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Well, first of all, I'm MAELSTRONG, but the reason I ask is because sometimes I just get tired of healing and want to kill someone but I'll never kill anything as AST.

Summoner.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

armoredgorilla posted:

My favorite thing about that quest line is seeing people in the free company go "Wait Fray is a woman??" long before they have a hint of what's really going on

My favorite thing is the quest descriptions in your journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

(we won that game)

• Locked thread