Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Vox Day is extra hilarious because if he really wanted to be 'voice of god' he'd spell it Vox Dei.

These are not smart people here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wittgen posted:

"Puppy stories" means stuff nominated by racist, misogynistic fascists. One camp of puppies is led by a guy who derisively refers to those who write about gay people as SJWs. The worse camp of puppies is led by a guy who calls himself the voice of god and believes he is genetically superior. I guess whether or not you still consider that awesome depends on you.

People I don't like or agree with like books.

Thus I must hate books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wright losing his poo poo over two girls holding hands for one scene right at the end of a children's cartoon is hilarious.

Vox Day defending people who throw acid in women's faces is somewhat less hilarious.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

heffray posted:

I thought Skin Game was a pretty decent episode of the Dresden series, but didn't think it was one of the 5 best SF/Fantasy books to come out this year. Also, I didn't even pretend to read the Kevin J Anderson or John Wright stuff, because I don't hate myself.

On one hand, Skin Game is not one of the best novels of the year. On the other hand, it's a nomination where Redshirts won. Personally, if I bothered to actually pay money to vote, I'd put it above No Award.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

420 Gank Mid posted:

People I don't like or agree with like books.

Thus I must hate books.

no they literally ballot stuffed the nominations so their slate got in because of THE GAYS THE BALCKS AND THE WIMINS.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Megazver posted:

On one hand, Skin Game is not one of the best novels of the year. On the other hand, it's a nomination where Redshirts won. Personally, if I bothered to actually pay money to vote, I'd put it above No Award.

Skin Game was also only in the voting packet as an excerpt whereas the winner's publisher included the full novel. That makes a difference (although it didn't get Wheel of Time the win last year despite including all the series' novels except the prequel in the packet). Suspect that's also why Ancillary Sword didn't do well despite the first novel getting the Hugo last year.

As a Hugo voter/Worldcon attendee (didn't make it this year in person though) I'm fairly ok with how it turned out; I'm more interested in the outcome of the business meeting and if they changed any rules to try and prevent a recurrence of puppygate.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I just find it hilarious that Vox Day is against women voting in general, not just for sci fi books.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

fordan posted:

Suspect that's also why Ancillary Sword didn't do well despite the first novel getting the Hugo last year.

I'm not sure that's the primary reason. I liked AS, but it suffers from being a middle-of-the-trilogy-book, doesn't stand as well on its own, and is smaller in scope than Ancillary Justice. Hmmm... looking at the list of nominees though I could see myself voting for it in that context (haven't finished Three Body Problem, so that might alter things).

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Unrelated: I found this image from the audio book version of storm front and it is also pretty great

Is that the time cop from that lovely doctor who spinoff that starred captain jack?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

OptimusWang posted:

Is that the time cop from that lovely doctor who spinoff that starred captain jack?

No, no, I think its the leader of the space barbarians in that Kevin Sorbo space show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Rook and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to the next one, even though it's a ways off. Still, I'm glad I didn't read it when it came out or then I'd be waiting four-five years for the next instalment.

Anyway, I have the first Laundry Files book down as the next one I'll read.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Um....who or what is Mac?

He really doesn't want any trouble in his place.

Well, there are several Outsiders called "Walkers", so I assumed from being called "Watcher", that he is some other type of Outsider. Just one who got bored of the war and settled down on Earth.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I finished The Rook and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to the next one, even though it's a ways off. Still, I'm glad I didn't read it when it came out or then I'd be waiting four-five years for the next instalment.

Anyway, I have the first Laundry Files book down as the next one I'll read.

If you didn't go the audiobook route for The Rook, you should get it and give it a listen.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/cinder-spires/the-aeronauts-windlass-1/aeronauts-windlass-prologue

I just read the first sample chapter from Butcher's new book; the dialogue is terrible.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghetto Prince posted:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/cinder-spires/the-aeronauts-windlass-1/aeronauts-windlass-prologue

I just read the first sample chapter from Butcher's new book; the dialogue is terrible.

Yeah, that was horrible. What the gently caress is Jim smoking?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently he thinks he's enough of a prose stylist to write old-timey dialogue.

He's not.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

This sample chapter has anti-sold me on this new series. This is one of the worst things Jim Butcher has ever written, and I don't mean that as hyperbole. It's a horrid combination of bad character voice, people constantly shaking/bobbing/gesticulating while talking, and nothing happening.

It seems to me like it's all fluff. Where's the hook? Did bestselling author Jim Butcher forget to include a hook?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was some tremendously bad dialogue.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I thought surely people must be exaggerating. I got maybe ten lines in before I stopped. Yikes.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I thought surely people must be exaggerating. I got maybe ten lines in before I stopped. Yikes.

Told you I didn't mean it as hyperbole. <:mad:>

Seriously, Dresden Files has had some really awkward dialogue in it, but it's tucked away in chapter 9 of book 8 or whatever. This, on the other hand, is how he's choosing to start his new series.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yikes

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You're all going to buy it anyway. :colbert:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

builds character posted:

Not based on that I won't

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Aw, come on, that wasn't that bad!

(In one of the other samples Butcher goes full on David Weber with airship tactics.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

builds character posted:

I honestly won't unless post-release reviews are real good or it gets one hell of an audiobook reader.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly won't unless post-release reviews are real good or it gets one hell of an audiobook reader.

John Cleese

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Error 404 posted:

John Cleese

I would buy John Cleese Reads The Phonebook so yes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404 posted:

John Cleese

Alternately, Brian Blessed

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

Susan Duerden (narrator of The Rook) could probably make it entertaining, but drat if even she wouldn't quite get me to buy it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe Young Thug can read it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I liked it. I pre-ordered because Butcher but the couple samples I've read haven't given me cause to regret it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

builds character posted:

Actually, I'm not. My library is, and I've got it on hold there. I mean, yeah, I'll read it, but I ain't buying it.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
It wasn't that bad. I'll read it when it comes out.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

mornhaven posted:

It wasn't that bad. I'll read it when it comes out.

My sentiments, exactly. It wasn't phenomenal. Probably not the selection I would have chosen to introduce a new work. But it wasn't bad at all.

What are you guys expecting? Shakespeare? loving seriously.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

My sentiments, exactly. It wasn't phenomenal. Probably not the selection I would have chosen to introduce a new work. But it wasn't bad at all.

It read like a cliche rebelling noble child leaving scene viewed through a lens set in a cogwheel that serves no purpose other than to state that yes, this is steampunk

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I thought the dialogue was not great, it feels like he just wanted to make it sound "old timey" without putting any effort into it or giving any of the characters their own voice.

I will probably still give it a read because despite butchers flaws as a writer most of his stuff has been least somewhat entertaining.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

I was expecting something that wasn't a retread of the opening scenes of Alera, but with even worse dialog.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

I was expecting something that wasn't a retread of the opening scenes of Alera, but with even worse dialog.

I haven't read Alera and it's not his best writing, but at least based on Dresden it should improve. It might just be taking him a while to hit his stride with new characters.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

mornhaven posted:

I haven't read Alera and it's not his best writing, but at least based on Dresden it should improve. It might just be taking him a while to hit his stride with new characters.
Between Codex Alera and Dresden Files, it's pretty clear that Butcher's first books generally kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Except he wrote the first Dresden Files book while he was enrolled in a writing class and he wrote Furies pretty early on in his professional career. Most people assumed he would have grown by now. And I don't remember Furies being that bad. The series got worse as it progressed.