Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr Pepper posted:

How does DQ Heroes compare to Hyrule Warriors? Because that's the only Musou game I've played and it was loads of fun.

DQ Heroes, if it wasn't known to be made by the musou guys, would be considered just an light action-rpg with an active party system. It's very different from the typical mold where you ignore the grunts and capture bases, and instead kill everything and gain levels and have spell combos/abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DQ Heroes has some sort of quasi-tower defense gimmick, doesn't it?

Oh yes, I forgot about this. Yes, this is one of several mission formats in the game, and some missions make it annoying as hell. You have two basic possibilities - either you're in a dungeon where you can position monsters to guard specific corridors, or you're in an open area where you just kind of throw monsters around the thing being protected, go out, and hope you destroy enough enemy spawn points before they get overwhelmed.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Maybe 12 hours till DQVIII is available on 3ds. Here's to hoping the new features are something big, I don't expect this to be as good as VII 3ds.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BabyRyoga posted:

Maybe 12 hours till DQVIII is available on 3ds. Here's to hoping the new features are something big, I don't expect this to be as good as VII 3ds.

We already know most of the new features, I think - there are two new playable characters (Red/Morrie), visible encounters, extra dungeons and other new content including a new ending/epilogue, a new camera system/sidequest with Streetpass/online functionality that tasks you with taking photos of rare monsters, landmarks etc, full JP VA, and so on.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We already know most of the new features, I think - there are two new playable characters (Red/Morrie), visible encounters, extra dungeons and other new content including a new ending/epilogue, a new camera system/sidequest with Streetpass/online functionality that tasks you with taking photos of rare monsters, landmarks etc, full JP VA, and so on.

The street pass functionality in VII was geared to be pretty top notch, but ended up kinda lackluster. It was dungeons like IX that you could trade via passing or once per day online with a random person, but they were way too limited unfortunately. I want something like that, but with better execution, and more post game content.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm pretty interested in this, are Japanese reactions to the port good?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Well, that recently-announced mobile game (DQ Space Road or whatever it's called) looks to be DQ9 Treasure Maps: The Game, so maybe that's what you want.

The DQ8 camera mode works two ways: there's the single-player part, where you're basically just taking photos for an NPC like in that one Wind Waker quest, and then there's the wireless part where you trade and rate your favourite photos via streetpass/spotpass in order to acquire rare items.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm pretty interested in this, are Japanese reactions to the port good?

JP reactions to DQ announcements are always good.

The big complaints are related to the visuals, mostly - not only is the 3DS low-res but the draw distance took a hit so there's more pop-in, and there's basically no stereo 3D.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
gently caress mobile games, esp DQ ones.

That Dragon Quest Caravan Monsters browser game was cancer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well, that recently-announced mobile game (DQ Space Road or whatever it's called) looks to be DQ9 Treasure Maps: The Game, so maybe that's what you want.

The DQ8 camera mode works two ways: there's the single-player part, where you're basically just taking photos for an NPC like in that one Wind Waker quest, and then there's the wireless part where you trade and rate your favourite photos via streetpass/spotpass in order to acquire rare items.

JP reactions to DQ announcements are always good.

The big complaints are related to the visuals, mostly - not only is the 3DS low-res but the draw distance took a hit so there's more pop-in, and there's basically no stereo 3D.

How is it compared to the phone version?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just booted it up, can confirm no 3D. Disappointing to some extent, but they do this a lot with DQ games. Monsters 2 on the 3ds for example had no 3d, but VII did. Graphics look fine, so far.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BabyRyoga posted:

Just booted it up, can confirm no 3D. Disappointing to some extent, but they do this a lot with DQ games. Monsters 2 on the 3ds for example had no 3d, but VII did. Graphics look fine, so far.

I've never minded that, honestly. 2D Sprites age better and can have a lot of charm. I bought a hard copy of Final Fantasy IV Complete (admittedly, not a DQ game) for the PSP and it looks adorable and twee in 2D. Meanwhile, and it's only my opinion of course, but I thought that the graphics in the DS version of IV were, well, not bad, but nearly as charming. Granted, that could partially be nostalgia talking there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We're talking about stereoscopic 3D, not polygons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

We're talking about stereoscopic 3D, not polygons.

:doh: Silly me

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can't remember if this is an old feature or not, but I see random really strong monsters appearing with sword icons above their heads. Got into a fight with a machine that nearly one shot my dudes at lv 3. Ran away, and haven't seen since.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sounds like the monsters for Morrie's Pit.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zurai posted:

Sounds like the monsters for Morrie's Pit.

Yeah, if this is the 3DS version we're talking about, those icons are there to distinguish them from other monsters on the field, since encounters are now visible like those you could pick up for the monster arena used to be.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I grabbed the .apk for DQM:SL and have been just kind of putzing around with it, logging in every day to get the free junk and last night figured I'd take my pile of boosted monsters into one of those salvage yard instances...

...and popped out the other end with like 3 befriended metal babbles, some metal slimes, and 5 levels worth of character experience. I just hoofed it to the boss, died, rezzed for 100 gems, and beat them up. I'm okay with this pattern if the rest of the game will be like this. Between this and Final Fantasy: Record Keeper I am very slowly changing my opinion on mobile games in general.

I just wish I had buttons instead of a touchscreen. poo poo gets hairy when I'm playing my way to sleep and then wake up to find that i'm on the edge of deleting something important.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Okay, so this originally got posted in a DQ thread in Imp Zone because I couldn't find this thread because the search function sucks.

So I recently discovered what a Pokemon Nuzlocke run was, and I didn't play Pokemon back in the day. I played Dragon Warrior Monsters. It got me thinking if something like that was possible for DWM. I had been discussing with my friend the idea of a Nuzlocke run for DWM. So far the rules only apply to DWM but I suppose could be slightly rewritten for DWM2. I'm not entirely sure about the other games as I don't know anything about Caravan Heart, the Joker series, Wanted, Terry's Wonderland, Iru and Luca's Mystery Key, or Super Light since most are japanese only and the others came out on systems I don't own but I'm sure there is some way of making it work or something probably. I was wanting a second opinion from some people who have played these games, because my friend knew nothing about them, on this rules list for a Nuzlocke styled run on whether or not it would even be possible to beat the game like this. Here is the ruleset I came up with.

quote:

Nuzlocke Modified: Dragon Warrior Monsters

1. Once entering a traveler's gate you have to accept the first monster that likes you and ONLY the first monster that likes you. If you feed meat to a monster to get it to like you before one likes you and it runs away, you cannot take any monster from that traveler gate.

2. You can only breed in the same type; slimes with slimes, dragons with dragons, beasts with beasts, etc.

3. You can breed up to a third generation monster but cannot go above the third generation.

4. Once a monster dies, it is dead forever. Permanently. If it is revived later it is still considered dead. Coming back from a traveler's gate with a dead monster means it must be released at the farm A.S.A.P.

5. No churches, no priests. Healing items acceptable, but no revives.

6. You can only accept one free monster/egg/breed from an NPC between tournaments.

7. At the end of a traveler's gate you can not accept the gate guardian into your party. e.g. the Healy at the end of the first gate must be set free.

8. If you already have one of a monster that likes you without feeding it meat it does not count as your first monster that likes you in a traveler's gate. e.g. if the first monster in a gate that likes you is a Dracky and you already have a Dracky, you don't have to take that Dracky unless you fed it meat.

9. End game condition: Win the Starry Night Tournament.

That's the long and short of it. Any thoughts or comments or concerns?

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trick I discovered for anyone playing DQVIII 3ds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaull0rHT5U

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I finally got everything set up for Dragon Quest X and have been playing it online for the past day or two. Really fun game, though the moonrunes are thick and it's necessary to keep a google-translated JP wiki open to decipher some quests.

Some notes so far:
- It's really, really similar to Final Fantasy XI in many aspects of design, save for maybe that game's inclination towards brutalizing its players. Combat is slow-paced and you select your actions from a menu, it operates similarly to an active time battle system. Grouping is highly emphasized if not mandatory for most areas past the starting ones

- Solo-inclined players can hire offline characters as AI-controlled mercenaries for a small fee. When you log off it's possible for other players to hire you in this way as well. If this occurs you get a portion of the experience/gold they generate while grouping with your character. The AI is pretty good and its behavior can be configured.

- The game uses the same vocation system from Dragon Quest IX. They've added new classes with every expansion, including two classes that are equivalent to FFXI's beastmaster and, most recently, dancer.

- Stats are the same as those in Dragon Quest IX, with the addition of a "weight" stat. If you have a high enough weight relative to an enemy you can push it around and/or obstruct its movement. On the other hand, if your weight is too low monsters may shove YOU around. From what I've observed the weight system is a key component of tanking especially when the target is a melee attacker.

- When you die you don't lose experience or downlevel, however in true DQ style you lose a good chunk of your gold on hand. I've lost about 20-25% in most cases. To counteract this you put your gold in a bank before setting out into the dangerous unknown.

- The story has been pretty goofy and fun so far. It's got a strong narrative in the vein of Final Fantasy XIV, and has CGI cutscenes and whatnot. NPC animations are spectacular.

- The auction house is pretty MMO standard, which is something of a letdown as I liked FFXI's blind auction. On the other hand it's pretty intuitive to manipulate so I don't have too many complaints. The economy seems very active and gear for all level ranges moves pretty quick.

Overall a lot of fun. I hope it sees a western release someday, however unlikely that is. It's still a lot of fun in Japanese but I do wish I could better understand some of the cutscene dialogue.

Super Space Jam 64 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 2, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ7 3D is coming to smartphones, and I'm guessing it'll be the version that gets translated: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs15/titles/dq7/

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

DQ7 3D is coming to smartphones, and I'm guessing it'll be the version that gets translated: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tgs15/titles/dq7/

Why would you think any version would get translated? And why would you think that, if they did localize one, they wouldn't localize all of them? The hang-up with the localization isn't technical effort--actually inserting the translated text--it's the cost, both real and opportunity, of translating it into the 5 required languages.

Last I checked the actual news cycle on that went "no, not happening" and then a Japanese dev said he wanted it to happen and then they re-iterated "no, not happening"; they clearly don't think it's worth it. By now though it's even more not worth it--remember the opportunity cost part of the above--since DQXI is around the corner and we likely will be getting that if only because it has a PS4 version. They've been prepping the PS4 for DQ fans in all regions.

Who knows, maybe they'll re-examine things if DQXI 3DS sells well? But probably not since DQIX did well only for the remakes to bomba.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Decus posted:

Why would you think any version would get translated? And why would you think that, if they did localize one, they wouldn't localize all of them? The hang-up with the localization isn't technical effort--actually inserting the translated text--it's the cost, both real and opportunity, of translating it into the 5 required languages.

Last I checked the actual news cycle on that went "no, not happening" and then a Japanese dev said he wanted it to happen and then they re-iterated "no, not happening"; they clearly don't think it's worth it. By now though it's even more not worth it--remember the opportunity cost part of the above--since DQXI is around the corner and we likely will be getting that if only because it has a PS4 version. They've been prepping the PS4 for DQ fans in all regions.

Who knows, maybe they'll re-examine things if DQXI 3DS sells well? But probably not since DQIX did well only for the remakes to bomba.

Yuji Horii actually came out and said DQ7 was getting a French translation at a French game expo. Which probably means an English one as well.

That said, they got mad at him for saying it, and they openly advertised the PS1 version of DQ4 before that went to poo poo, so who knows.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Yuji Horii actually came out and said DQ7 was getting a French translation at a French game expo. Which probably means an English one as well.

That said, they got mad at him for saying it, and they openly advertised the PS1 version of DQ4 before that went to poo poo, so who knows.

I read that the development team for DQIV on the PS1 had disbanded after it was finished, and the translation wasn't feasible without their support. Then again, it would have come out after the PS2 had launched.

Although the DS and mobile versions look similar to it, the graphics are actually subtly different, like in the first town where the castle is in the same area instead of being separated by a loading screen.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

So not that I got any replies on this post here, but I did want to get an update on doing the Nuzlocke run.

The main problem you run into is power loss. A lot of the battles I was experiencing in the game that I lost monsters in was that by the time you get to those battles you have a ton of really badass monsters from taking the boss monsters that join you and tons of breeding. Another problem was that while you're primarily using just 3 monsters unlike Pokemon there are extra storyline paths for stronger monsters by unlocking the bonus traveler's gates, like the one in the Bazaar, but that require giving your monsters away. So you unlock a new traveler's gate but you essentially are just giving a monster away to do that so it's like trading up. Breeding also is hard unless you breed with an NPC, and then you're just trading up there too. In the case of breeding with your own monsters you lose two to gain one and due to the breeding restrictions I put in it's always going to be the same monster with better stats, except in certain cases, and then it doesn't go far from there. With only three generations the best you can do is a +2 monster. It's just not viable. Possible to beat the game, yeah, but only with a butt ton of grinding and luck. Even then... with level caps and all... very unlikely. Nuzlocke runs in Pokemon aren't too bad even with how restrictive the rules are, so... I may need to rethink the Nuzlocke rules before I try it again. Any suggestions?

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 3, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's been a long time since I played DWM and DWM2 but couldn't you always just capture a few dozen slimes in those games and breed them all together to get like a Slime +50 who would end up with massive stat gains every time they level? Plus metal slimes/babbles/kings ended up being absurdly good because you could essentially breed them heavily enough to get hundreds of HP while still retaining the crazy immunity they get.

Though it still wouldn't make the Nuzlocke stuff any less not-fun I guess.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's been a long time since I played DWM and DWM2 but couldn't you always just capture a few dozen slimes in those games and breed them all together to get like a Slime +50 who would end up with massive stat gains every time they level? Plus metal slimes/babbles/kings ended up being absurdly good because you could essentially breed them heavily enough to get hundreds of HP while still retaining the crazy immunity they get.

Though it still wouldn't make the Nuzlocke stuff any less not-fun I guess.

Yeah, that's why I set the generation cap to three. Which may have been a mistake, but once you get to the SkyDragon battle you usually have such overpowered monsters it doesn't matter. My current challenge stream in DWM is called Slimetime, where I can catch only slimes and use only slimes, but they can breed with Gate Guardians and NPC monsters. I feel now that breezing through the game as much as I have that may have been a mistake.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm playing Dragon Quest 1 + 2 for SNES with the English patch. I beat Dragon Quest I pretty much no problem.

II is a much longer game and is very open ended, and some areas have straight up Simon's Quest-levels of bullshit. There's also a nasty bug in Beran where, if your party member gets cursed at the inn, you have to revive them with the leaf. After you give them the leaf, the dialog that says "Rolando's complexion is returning to normal!" or whatever endlessly scrolls over and over. Weird. Luckily I had a save state right before that point.

What's the best version of 3? I really don't want to play the Gameboy version...

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The mobile version of 3 is probably the best. The SFC might be better but the English patch for it is hosed and full of bugs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I never noticed bugs in the SFC English patch for DQ3, but the mobile version is the SFC version IIRC so you might as well go with that unless you really like frame skip and save state.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Really? There's tons of text bugs, at least one freeze bug that's pretty common for me, and if you have a female merchant the appraise skill doesn't work. There's a big list of the bugs somewhere and there's a lot.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It should be noted that the mobile version is missing some stuff from the GBC version, like the intro featuring your father fighting a dragon and the "Remember" series of spells.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
The SFC version patch is riddled with text issues but worst is the bug where if you move your Hero out of the first position your save can corrupt horribly.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
That's crazy. I'll give the mobile version a go. It's only ten bux.

I wish SE would just port them to Steam like they've been doing with Final Fantasy games. I hate playing console sized games on my tiny rear end phone.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't think I'm incorrect in thinking a port of Dragon Quest 8, even the phone one, would probably sell quite well, but they're just too stubborn. They haven't put any of the games up on a digital shop that isn't phone-based, it's ridiculous.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 4, 2015

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Y'know, I gave the GBC version of Dragon Quest III a shot, and drat that's a good version. I'll pick up the phone version and try that too, but it's really impressive they fit such a huge game on the loving Gameboy Color. Only thing I really miss is that backgrounds during battles, but the animation on the enemies in combat is so good.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Machine posted:

Y'know, I gave the GBC version of Dragon Quest III a shot, and drat that's a good version. I'll pick up the phone version and try that too, but it's really impressive they fit such a huge game on the loving Gameboy Color. Only thing I really miss is that backgrounds during battles, but the animation on the enemies in combat is so good.

Yeah, I'd love to try the mobile version for the new translation, but the enemy animations were one of my favourite things in the game. The SNES version also added the board game, which was adapted into the Itadaki Street series.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

The Machine posted:

I totally agree, I think the GBC version honestly stands up to the Super Famicom version in some ways. It's nowhere near as pretty, but it's a pretty good port for the hardware.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Has their been any news about either of the Monsters game remakes on the 3DS getting brought over? I'd buy either of them in a heartbeat but I haven't heard anything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There hasn't been news about any of the 3DS games, save for some hints at a possible localisation of DQ7 3DS.