Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broose posted:

You can't cut back on our ammo funding! You will regret this!

On 10 wave servers I ran low all the time as a commando, even if it is just poping heads and nailing sirens. I think the ammo nerfs in general are a bit much.

I'm still :psyduck: over how even the 9mm got it's ammo cut. 3 less mags total, and 1 less mag to start. The 9mm of all things, technically has the biggest ammo nerf :wtc:

Though that is also what has me figuring they are testing out lower ammo in general, as opposed to any particular expectations those weapons needed less ammo to balance them... Well, aside from my joke :tinfoil: expectations for why the M4 didn't get an ammo cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Broose posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON AMMO! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!
mods, thread, etc

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Broose posted:

You can't cut back on our ammo funding! You will regret this!

On 10 wave servers I ran low all the time as a commando, even if it is just poping heads and nailing sirens. I think the ammo nerfs in general are a bit much.

yeah the ammo seemed about right as it was for commando imo. you were consistently running low on ammo at the end of the wave even with some scavenging. time to get even more upset at supports that don't take the supplier skill

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, the Ammo downgrades might be fine on their own, it's the conjunction with fewer people playing support than before that exacerbates the feeling of running dry halfway through a wave. Can probably be fixed with some fine-tuning or some perk magic, although i haven't tried the harder difficulties yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what the ammo downgrades are supposed to accomplish. Potentially the issue that's trying to be addressed is the fact that setting up camp on a certain map's Good Spot(tm) is too prevalent, but running around to scavenge is both not powerful enough/a great way to get killed, and not very helpful in terms of the ammo situation anyway since ammo boxes spawn so rarely and so far away from each other.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

With the existence of demo and firebug, it's no longer the permanent go-to class anyway so it probably didn't need to get hit that hard. I'm ignoring the perk change of putting Bombard next to tac reload; I forgot tac was a level 15 perk and whatever I'm never not taking tac reload so Bombard is meaningless.
Bombard was always next to tac reload, which I guess proves your point though since lol never not take tac reload. :v:

Speaking of tac reload everyone buy dual 9mms and empty them with tac reload. Do it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh yeah the way you aim dualies is hilarious (and bad)

just put some laser sights on them and call it a day, please

also I'm not sure how one weight 0 9mm (with a flashlight) suddenly becomes 2 weight dualies (one without a flashlight, where are my akimbo flashlights?) but it's best not to think too hard about it, I'm sure.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Spent some time as Support in the beta. My thoughts:

Pump Shotty and Double Barrel: The ammo nerfs really hurts these weapons. You seriously have to watch your shots now because of how little ammo you have. The ammo nerf hurts the Pump Shotty more it doesn't have the damage output to compensate for the decreased ammo, unlike the Double Barrel. It also means you barely have any ammo for the Pump Shotgun for the first wave, making it almost useless there.

M4: Much better. This thing can lay down some serious hurt and reload almost as fast as the Pump Shotgun does. I still prefer the AA-12 overall, but the M4 is a good purchase now, especially since the AA-12 costs more. You can grab this and carve through groups while saving up money for the AA-12. It's what the M4 should've been at the start; a much better Pump Shotgun.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Just played a game where a fleshpound never de-aggro'd. It was perma-aggro'd like a scrake, no matter how many times it hit me it never calmed down. Then it teleported in front of me and killed me.

Theta Zero posted:

If they're the last ones alive, they never stop.

I dunno if that means the last zed entirely or the last FP/Scrake because there were a bloat and a siren that were still alive too.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 26, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Just played a game where a fleshpound never de-aggro'd. It was perma-aggro'd like a scrake, no matter how many times it hit me it never calmed down. Then it teleported in front of me and killed me.

If they're the last ones alive, they never stop. Also:

Sweet new Medic primary, guys.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I imagine the ammo nerfs are partially there because we're no longer confined to four perks and the Demo/Firebug have better trash-clearing capabilities and better scrake/FP capabilities for the Demo. In theory, you shouldn't need to be wasting as much ammo, because there's other people around who are better at killing large numbers of trash.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Is that av from Patlabor?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I imagine the ammo nerfs are partially there because we're no longer confined to four perks and the Demo/Firebug have better trash-clearing capabilities and better scrake/FP capabilities for the Demo. In theory, you shouldn't need to be wasting as much ammo, because there's other people around who are better at killing large numbers of trash.

True, but in practice, I've found that I've had to bail out the team much more as Support than before the update, even with plenty of Demos and Firebugs. 'Course, that could be a temporary thing caused by a new update.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I am cackling maniacally irl as I throw sticks of dynamite at the undead hordes. Very cathartic!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

True, but in practice, I've found that I've had to bail out the team much more as Support than before the update, even with plenty of Demos and Firebugs. 'Course, that could be a temporary thing caused by a new update.

Hopefully it's just people not knowing how to best use the new perks and weapons/people not having access to talents yet, yeah.

Skoll posted:

Is that av from Patlabor?

Patlabor 2, actually. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Martout posted:

I am cackling maniacally irl as I throw sticks of dynamite at the undead hordes. Very cathartic!

So many gibs.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

This is probably because most people don't care if trash is ignited or not, they'll shoot them anyway. I feel like a liability as a firebug, because commandos/etc are targeting the trash I ignite even though if they just let it burn they'll be able to conserve ammo. So they're running out of ammo more quickly and I'm in practice not really killing anything.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 26, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lassitude posted:

This is probably because most people don't care if trash is ignited or not, they'll shoot them anyway. I feel like a liability as a firebug, because commandos/etc are targeting the trash I ignite even though if they just let it burn they'll be able to conserve ammo. So they're running out of ammo more quickly and I'm in practice not really killing anything.

I expect part of this is because if they don't shoot the trash at all, they won't even get so much as an assist so no cash. But then if they are going to shoot trash at all, then may as well click on head.

I mean, if a firebug is spraying at a pile of trash with a flamethrower, what ISN'T on fire after nearby? Plenty of distant targets, but still.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah I'm not really sure what the expectation is. I felt like I had the same problem in KF1. Set a bunch of stuff on fire, dudes just mow them down anyway. Firebug is pretty unsatisfying outside of the microwave gun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That doesn't really matter though. If a support shoots a wall of trash first, it all dies and the commando gets nothing. Its only different because the firebug doesn't instakill like any other class. Won't matter in more competent teams though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lassitude posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure what the expectation is. I felt like I had the same problem in KF1. Set a bunch of stuff on fire, dudes just mow them down anyway. Firebug is pretty unsatisfying outside of the microwave gun.

I dunno, man. The Trench Gun feels like it should: A stiff shot that can burn and/or blow zeds away. In fact, it's a huge step above the Cock Burn gun if we're being honest to god.

I'd even say Trench Gun/Microwave Gun for Hans if it holds up. Or hell, anything that isn't the starter Firebug weapon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Section Z posted:

Well, that is a hell of a lot of cool poo poo in those notes. Shame there are a few nitpicks to go with all the new things.

Still, 99% of those patch notes look pretty sweet.

Yeah I have to agree the ammo changes sound like hot garbage designed to add artificial difficulty for no good reason except to punish players of lower skill level(this is coming from someone who never plays above Beginner in KF1 cause I always found it too punishing and unfun at higher difficulties, so I can tell that I wouldn't be enjoying these changes)

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The grenade pistol is really bad as it stands, for a single shot per reload weapon with such a small ammo pool it really should pack a little more punch. It doesn't even reliably kill gorefasts at point blank range.

I like the idea of the c4 but it's so very situational that I almost never pick it, last three games my first purchase has been medic pistol just so I have something to kill lone trash with.

Then when you get the proper grenade launcher everything changes and I usually go from dead last in zeds killed to at least middle of the pack :)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Someone on the forums mentioned this:

"that ammo crates found on the map now only restore a partial magazine's worth of ammo. From what I've seen, it's about 1/5-1/4 of a mag, which is ludicrously low."

Is the true? Dang, kinda harsh. I had quite a few games where I didn't even bother picking up the Double Barrel simply because of the new ammo mechanics.

The new knife is definitely a lot better though and the alt-fire in it is actually usable, if a tiny bit slow. It's nice to finally be a semi viable option, is that why the ammo was nerfed? 😂

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just popping in to report that Demo is in fact cool and awesome. Haven't yet really found the knack for using C4, but all other weapons own. Managed to kill two FPs standing next to each other at once with the RPG :getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Someone on the forums mentioned this:

"that ammo crates found on the map now only restore a partial magazine's worth of ammo. From what I've seen, it's about 1/5-1/4 of a mag, which is ludicrously low."

Is the true? Dang, kinda harsh. I had quite a few games where I didn't even bother picking up the Double Barrel simply because of the new ammo mechanics.

If it is true, it seems more likely to be a bug resulting from them adding partial magazine pickup support than intended behaviour.

And yeah, the sawn-off desperately needs to restore more than one "magazine" per crate - ideally 8 shells to put it on par with the other shotguns.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well I guess with how easy it is to get swarmed with trash zeds, now Hard is actually Hard :v: But yeah, with the addition of explosions and fire the game playes vastly diffrent. It's utter utter chaos and I love it. I especially love the fact that as a Medic, my weapons were not hit by the ammo nerf at all. Also the SMG is still better then the AR because of how much more accurate it is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, the ammo nerfs were not needed or wanted at all. Ammo was scarce enough as is above normal. Now it seems that the Medic, Zerker and Firebug have a reasonable ammo supply while everyone else is left scrounging. I really hope that when this build leaves the "beta" the ammo changes are reverted for the most part. Everything else is great though.

For those who haven't had a chance to use Demoman yet, you're going to really, really need to use your 9mm. Your weapons are all horribly ammo limited. RPG and grenade launcher each have 16 shots, you get 3 bricks of C4 and your grenade pistol has 24 shots. On the plus side, Demo gets excellent ammo per box while everyone else seems to be nerfed (1/2/1/3 for RPG/GL/C4/Cluster Pistol). That being said the Demo relies very heavily on the 9mm (or dualies if you find one) to clear out single trash without wasting very expensive ammo. Trash in groups is your happy place though as a single grenade launcher shot can earn you 50-70 experience easy in a giant gib-fest.

My real biggest complaints with it are how hilariously heavy the RPG-7 are and how unreliable the cluster pistol can be. The RPG makes you give up more or less everything but your cluster pistol to wield, but it does so much damage it can be forgiven. Meanwhile the cluster-shot pistol is either hilariously effective (killing multiple trash at once) or hilariously ineffective (fails to kill a single clot/gorefast). Though I imagine that as a player gains levels and gets bonus damage the cluster pistol will lean more and more towards being really good.

Edit: Also love the new maps. I love how the airline is called Scanlines with their credit card being called Scanline Scanmiles.

"Get one free beer for every 10 beers drunk in flight!"
"Call now, get approved when Sven wakes up!"

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Since everybody and their mother is currently rolling demoman and firebug I decided to give the Berserker a whirl, and the Zweihänder is really drat fun. Cutting dudes in half left and right is even more :black101: than the Pulverizer, and the thrust is actually pretty useful, especially for taking out crawlers and beheading bloats, at least on normal.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I enabled Flex on max settings for it. It's a noticeable hit on my framerate when someone shoots a rocket into a huge mob of enemies but man if the results aren't worth it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If it is true, it seems more likely to be a bug resulting from them adding partial magazine pickup support than intended behaviour.

And yeah, the sawn-off desperately needs to restore more than one "magazine" per crate - ideally 8 shells to put it on par with the other shotguns.

I hope so because it's a further kick in the balls to Support as-is, assuming they operate just like a mobile ammo box. Yikes. I agree on the double-barrel needing to restore 8 shots per drop though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

M4: Much better. This thing can lay down some serious hurt and reload almost as fast as the Pump Shotgun does. I still prefer the AA-12 overall, but the M4 is a good purchase now, especially since the AA-12 costs more. You can grab this and carve through groups while saving up money for the AA-12. It's what the M4 should've been at the start; a much better Pump Shotgun.
Doing this is kind of wasteful without the weight boost though. It means I can't buy anything but ammo until I save up $1000 and then have to climb an even bigger hill later for the AA12. On a Short game or even Normal that's really tight.

I guess there's a use for those extra starting weapons now when you're starving for shells in the early waves?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 26, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So I opened the beta and... Well, I remember it was stated in the update that you'd keep your perk progress through the beta, but it seems my settings have been reset and all my perks are down to 0.

I am hosed, ain't i?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Mine didn't reset as far as i know so i assume you might have a different problem causing that.

edit: they actually had vanished when i started up the game a few times (like it couldn't load my local profile file or something) but they came back after a restart

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 26, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

oh also if I click m1 during the loading screen (when the DNA is sitting there behind "Killing Floor 2") it goes white and windows says the program is not responding. I just click the wait it out button and it will eventually recover and load, but that was not the best first impression of the new update :v:

I wish I could just sort of push a button and set my demo and firebug to rank 5 though. I forgot how really bad rank 0 perks are.

Alkydere posted:

Edit: Also love the new maps. I love how the airline is called Scanlines with their credit card being called Scanline Scanmiles.

"Get one free beer for every 10 beers drunk in flight!"
"Call now, get approved when Sven wakes up!"

yeah both maps have a+ visual design, haven't played enough of them to know about flow yet but things seem good. In the catacombs map there's a section straight out of Skyrim (well, straight out of tombs which inspired Skyrim and also inspired KF2 but shut up) which made us all chuckle.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 26, 2015

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
What the gently caress who thought these ammo needs were needed.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I am barely making any money with Demo. The pistol isn't consistent or powerful :(

Like I spent 6 rounds spending all my earnings on ammo before someone gave me cash so I could buy C4.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a good thing they pushed the update to the beta branch first, isn't it? :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Mine didn't reset as far as i know so i assume you might have a different problem causing that.

edit: they actually had vanished when i started up the game a few times (like it couldn't load my local profile file or something) but they came back after a restart

Yeah, restarting Steam fixed it, must have been some trip up with the cloud connection or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does the new FP charging attack block damage or what? Where he holds his hands in front of him?