Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Metroixer posted:

I tried googling for this but I'm afraid of spoilers. I only have Sindy Gallows left but have no idea where to find him? What I did manage to read was that I need the joy mask which is something I don't have either.

You don't need any of the hidden masks for anything. Gallows is found by jumping into the hole at the start of the second area with an eagle over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I think Gallows is the most hardcore character in either game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yado says he wanted to start a huge war that results in every getting killed or turned into joy mutants. He thought after Buddy finished killing everyone she would turn and the Yado would wipe out any other survivors with his mutants. Buzzo tries to stop him but Yado shoots him.

I think in this one Yado is talking to, and killing, his wife/buddy's mom. He says she was just "her host"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So where do you find the Joy labs? Never saw anything like that area.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I think in this one Yado is talking to, and killing, his wife/buddy's mom. He says she was just "her host"

Yeah it's his wife for sure. In The Painful's joy lab, there's a woman's corpse with a note on it that implies Yado killed her.

Oxxidation posted:

So where do you find the Joy labs? Never saw anything like that area.

Go to the area with the bar and normal ground, with Summer Love playing.

go all the way left and there's a cloud that's diagonal in the sky. Jump down there.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The new music's good. Just going to throw that out there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Go to the area with the bar and normal ground, with Summer Love playing.

go all the way left and there's a cloud that's diagonal in the sky. Jump down there.

Well poo poo, never would have figured that out. What about the mask?

e: never mind, found it.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 26, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

pon alien posted:

The new music's good. Just going to throw that out there.

Brokentooth March is probably my favorite track in both games.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Any ideas how to get the Marty ending?

e; nvm got it

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 26, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I tried my best to finish the Joyful without using Joy but I wasn't able to. I just didn't have enough mags to buy horse jerky for the final bosses. I think I had over 40 Joy at the end of the game.

I would try again and conserve my healing items more but while this game is pretty tough without Joy it really turns into a game of hoping that the enemy wastes a bunch of turns while you get flawless perfect hits or lose.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I tried my best to finish the Joyful without using Joy but I wasn't able to. I just didn't have enough mags to buy horse jerky for the final bosses. I think I had over 40 Joy at the end of the game.

I would try again and conserve my healing items more but while this game is pretty tough without Joy it really turns into a game of hoping that the enemy wastes a bunch of turns while you get flawless perfect hits or lose.

There's not even a reward for conserving Joy this time, which I only found out after finishing the game without taking any. I had one Rando Ration left and nothing else..

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Has anyone figured out the No Friends achievement? It's the only one lacking from my list

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Is it possible to resize the window other than alt enter? Seems right now my only way to do it is to play in legacy mode and hit alt enter like I said before but then I start hitting serious framerate problems.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackray Jack posted:

Is it possible to resize the window other than alt enter? Seems right now my only way to do it is to play in legacy mode and hit alt enter like I said before but then I start hitting serious framerate problems.

F1 let's you configure controls and graphics.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
One of the little scribblings on the wall said something along the lines of "you don't have to use your body. You're better than that. You only need your sword... your mind." Maybe not using Flash is LISA: the Joyful's version of not using Joy in LISA: the Painful?

Also, yeah, this seems like a disappointing follow-up to it's predecessor. It's not as witty, the pacing is weirdly hurried, and the story just kind of ends in a messy pile-up of plot threads. Hopefully, some of the other endings/ending-related sequences will fill out the narrative, a bit (Pain Mode wasn't added until a while after the main game's release, and shed some light on several parts of the story).

EDIT: Am I imagining things, or do enemies use the Weird-inducing sexual harassment attacks way more often when you don't have a mask on?

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 26, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jeedy Jay posted:

One of the little scribblings on the wall said something along the lines of "you don't have to use your body. You're better than that. You only need your sword... your mind." Maybe not using Flash is LISA: the Joyful's version of not using Joy in LISA: the Painful?

Also, yeah, this seems like a disappointing follow-up to it's predecessor. It's not as witty, the pacing is weirdly hurried, and the story just kind of ends in a messy pile-up of plot threads. Hopefully, some of the other endings/ending-related sequences will fill out the narrative, a bit (Pain Mode wasn't added until a while after the main game's release, and shed some light on several parts of the story).

A bunch of people on 4chan had that theory too, but they said they didn't find anything different from not using it. There's no achievement for it either.

Ding said he might do another game but don't count on it either way.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Anatharon posted:

A bunch of people on 4chan had that theory too, but they said they didn't find anything different from not using it. There's no achievement for it either.

Ding said he might do another game but don't count on it either way.

Well, then the only thing I can guess might lead to "No Friends" would be an exact configuration of the choice prompts, like whether to trust Rando or not.

Also, Pain Mode wasn't so much a new game as an option that modified the game in a few ways. Of course, I could see Dingaling not wanting to sink dozens more hours into a game that already seemed to be racing to an unambiguous "EVERYTHING IS OVER" finale.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Got all the cheevos for the DLC. I wish they had explained the flash. Some people think the Father ending implies Brad raped Lisa :what:

Does the Terry Hintz mask do anything?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Relin posted:

It honors a hero. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
After Rando falls into the pit, does Buddy beat Rando to death? Christ.

Relin posted:

Got all the cheevos for the DLC. I wish they had explained the flash. Some people think the Father ending implies Brad raped Lisa :what:

...Are you kidding?

Marty told Brad that it was "time to be a man", beat him until he would drink, then dragged him into Lisa's room. What do you THINK happened?

Relin posted:

You need it for "No Friends", apparently. Not sure how you get it though.

Jeedy Jay posted:

Well, then the only thing I can guess might lead to "No Friends" would be an exact configuration of the choice prompts, like whether to trust Rando or not.

Also, Pain Mode wasn't so much a new game as an option that modified the game in a few ways. Of course, I could see Dingaling not wanting to sink dozens more hours into a game that already seemed to be racing to an unambiguous "EVERYTHING IS OVER" finale.

The new game he was considering was focused on Rando (pre-Painful RPG I'd imagine).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 26, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think I'm disappointed in the DLC as a whole. The lack of anywhere to reasonably grind, alongside the lack of equipment, hurts the game as a whole. Buddy's way too fragile at the start, and it's easy to have her fall behind, simply because she can't survive combat. It's just not fun.

Jeedy Jay posted:

Of course, I could see Dingaling not wanting to sink dozens more hours into a game that already seemed to be racing to an unambiguous "EVERYTHING IS OVER" finale.

The closest thing I can think of would be the Dead Space 3 DLC, which had the same feeling of 'no, seriously, we're done with this poo poo, GO HOME'.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think I'm disappointed in the DLC as a whole. The lack of anywhere to reasonably grind, alongside the lack of equipment, hurts the game as a whole. Buddy's way too fragile at the start, and it's easy to have her fall behind, simply because she can't survive combat. It's just not fun.

I'm not sure why not being able to grind is bad, both games are balanced around that. Buddy is strong as gently caress, especially when you use Joy. She's only fragile at the start if you don't give her Rando's Badass Belt Buckle.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

I went into Lisa the Joyful with high hopes, was let down, brought back up and I'm left a little confused as to what the whole purpose of DLC was.

In terms of story, the game tied up a lot of loose ends tightly, but it felt tacked on top of another game. The purpose of the story AS you play it is for Buddy to kill all the warlords of Olathe in some drug-fueled obsession with power and "Queenhood" but the plot of Lisa the Painful seems really ill-fitting like it was forced on the player in sectioned, sliced and packaged pieces to string you along. It seems like Dingaling didn't have much confidence in the story he presented as the framing, which is probably a good assessment because aside from some vignettes there's really no story, character, or purpose to what Buddy is doing. Maybe one of the warlords has anything like the charm or quirkiness of the bosses in Lisa the Painful, and it was that Vega bro which had the whole flashing gimmick feel almost half-assed and lazy compared to some of the genuinely funny and weird poo poo Dingaling had in the last game. Nothing really feels like it has a purpose other than to buy time for the plot that LtP didn't finish to play out. And even then, much of what happens is so conveniently timed and melodramatic that it feels more like a fanfiction than a continuation of the story. It doesn't help that Buddy is terminally unlikable in this game, though it's not the main reason the story falls flat.

In terms of gameplay, the game has none of the openness that made Lisa approachable and fun. It feels like there's two settings - Press the Buttons Endlessly and Take Joy To Win. There's no middle ground or any point in the game where you feel like you have options. Actually, since Buddy is TP-based, you literally have no options at any given point in a fight. Either you can use your poo poo normal attack, the obviously better skills, or items to stay alive/get more skills. Once you give up on avoiding Joy, the game is just about keeping yourself alive and refreshing the joy buff. The gameplay is probably the worst part of the DLC because it's inarguably poo poo.

I really liked the ending though. As messy as it ended up being, it feels like the only part of the DLC that was properly planned out. The whole bit with the Yado Throne was pretty fitting for what we know of the character, the Buzzo part was similarly fitting and a good send-off to a character that had previously been rather weak. And the final bit with Dream Brad was probably one of the better things the game has done. The actual ending branches were kinda ho-hum, but did a good job giving you some perspective on the characters, though the Father ending didn't feel necessary (there was already some conjecture that Brad was complicit in the abuse, that ending was just on the nose about it)

So in the end? It's not a shitshow, but it's not a great end product. Lisa the Joyful reads like a hasty conclusion written out from fan theories while the gameplay is below the golden standard of poo poo RMVX games. If you really liked Lisa and wanted a proper conclusion, it's pretty good for that. But on it's own it's a pretty embarrassing product.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Keep in mind the DLC is a kickstarter bonus reward tier or stretch goal or whatever it's called. Not that I disagree with the problems it has, but keep that in mind!

Not to mention, "DLC". Of course it doesn't stand on it's own merits.

I've basically spent the day focused on the game, so I feel like giving my own summary of thoughts.

Let me start off with the best points: The music is fantastic. LtP and LtF had good music but LtJ is almost entirely better all around there. Music owns.

When the game DOES take time to focus on characters, they're all stronger than the characterization they got in LtP, which was pretty scant in general. I think the Rando campfire conversations were the best parts for that.

Problems, though. It has them for sure.

There's a few that are really opinion based, but I don't really like how Buddy's basically only got 2 moves. I'm not a fan of the 'being entirely alone' thing, though it has to be that way for the narrative. Not having any equipment other than being able to swipe Rando's belt buckle contributed to the game feeling really small, I think. The areas were also typically not very memorable.

I feel like Buddy's mechanics were sorely underused. There's maybe 3-4 chances to ambush in the game, and masks are basically pointless. There's a similar number of spots where wearing a mask is relevant, though I guess you do get a couple of different lines for not wearing a mask, but they basically might as well not exist. There's a couple of puzzles in LtP where you need to swap between walking and biking but here, sprint is basically pointless. You might as well just walk faster and take out the gaps, because they're never used interestingly.

While Buddy being really coldhearted makes sense, it also feels like a complete 180 from where she was during LtP. I know LtP had the two corpses and knife in the basement at the start, but even so it almost feels like that got added in afterwards to justify Buddy being so callous and hardened. Though speaking of corpses, it does leave the question of who killed Cheeks. The only possibility I can see is Rick and Sticky did it and man that is so dark.

Buzzo and Lisa's charactes were fairly well done. Lisa being a complete psycho completely makes sense, and Buzzo breaking down after he's forced to admit Brad really wasn't to blame for everything was also fairly natural.

Brad didn't get many scenes for obvious reasons but god, "I have no son" was insanely cruel even if Rando wasn't there to hear it. Brad was basically established as being a fundamentally good person who was beaten and warped into the shell of a man he was as an adult, so that felt kinda weird. LtJ managed to make Marty even MORE horribly monsterous too, so good job I guess there. I kinda wonder if he really did change for the better at the very end trying to protect Buddy, or if that was just him trying to save himself from Brad.

Rando dying felt like such a forgone conclusion, I was let down that it actually happened. Basically the entire time until he actually DOES die I was wondering where he would bite it, which kind of took away from my enjoyment of his scenes. They just felt way too obvious.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 26, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I didn't like what a poo poo end of the stick Rando got the entire time. Sure he's the nicest guy in the wastes, but he isn't naive. His whole story is getting owned and having Buddy show him up in competence at every opportunity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have absolutely no idea how anyone could consider this DLC difficult unless you're an idiot who never uses their items. Which is probably the case for a lot of players because people are stupid and hoard crap they should be using, but that's not Dingaling's fault. For context, I didn't lose a single fight until the second half of the game because I used my healing items properly. In the second half I only died because I ran out and refused to use joy because I thought it would affect the story. Joy is a full heal with a buff on top that the game gives you an absurd amount of. If you actually use that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Not that I think the gameplay is good mind you, its just not hard at all. The combat itself is super lackluster because you only have one party member for large chunks of the game who really only has one attack. There's no variation in what Buddy does. Bleed out an enemy and chain stun it with fluster if its vulnerable to it. This will get you through almost every fight. The only exception are ones where the enemy can chain stun you, which is complete bullshit in a single party member game. I got stunned from full health down to zero once. Stuff like that is rare but should never happen. Dunno why any of the enemies can even use stuns.

As for the plot, I liked it. Buddy's character was expanded upon in a way I didn't expect. It had pacing issues that suffered from just being DLC rather than a full game though. Its rough around the edges but I still think its a good follow up to the main game, ending the story in a suitably hosed up and miserable manner.

EDIT: Thinking about it more I really wish this had been a full fledged sequel rather than DLC. I think there's a lot of potential here with the story and mechanics that could of been exceptional if they were fleshed out more. I'm still okay with what we got though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

As for the plot, I liked it. Buddy's character was expanded upon in a way I didn't expect. It had pacing issues that suffered from just being DLC rather than a full game though. Its rough around the edges but I still think its a good follow up to the main game, ending the story in a suitably hosed up and miserable manner.

Really? The ending is actually pretty positive if you picked "Leave them" and not "Join them"

In the former Buddy has made peace with her past. She buries Buzzo and Rando, which is a part of that. Brad's mutant self has semi-stabilized and apparently Buddy has a kid, which... Might be a good thing? Though I suppose the future is really uncertain.

It's really the leadup that completely rips your heart out of your chest and force-feeds it to you. Even the nice warlords like Lardy and Mr. Beautiful are dead, Rando is dead, Buzzo tries to redeem himself right before dying, Yado is feeble, cowardly little wretch so you don't even get any satisfaction from killing him, Joy is still absolutely everywhere and tons of other people died.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 26, 2015

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Let me start off with the best points: The music is fantastic. LtP and LtF had good music but LtJ is almost entirely better all around there. Music owns.
:agreed: The final boss songs in particular were really well done.

quote:

When the game DOES take time to focus on characters, they're all stronger than the characterization they got in LtP, which was pretty scant in general. I think the Rando campfire conversations were the best parts for that.

Pretty much. My main objection was how cleanly everything had to come to a head when the main game was anything but. It felt like the characters had an overwhelming compulsion to convene and monologue. And while the monologues were generally good, it still feels out of place a lot of the time.

quote:

There's a few that are really opinion based, but I don't really like how Buddy's basically only got 2 moves. I'm not a fan of the 'being entirely alone' thing, though it has to be that way for the narrative. Not having any equipment other than being able to swipe Rando's belt buckle contributed to the game feeling really small, I think. The areas were also typically not very memorable.

I feel like Buddy's mechanics were sorely underused. There's maybe 3-4 chances to ambush in the game, and masks are basically pointless. There's a similar number of spots where wearing a mask is relevant, though I guess you do get a couple of different lines for not wearing a mask, but they basically might as well not exist. There's a couple of puzzles in LtP where you need to swap between walking and biking but here, sprint is basically pointless. You might as well just walk faster and take out the gaps, because they're never used interestingly.

I don't think anyone can defend the gameplay. It's incredibly lazy. While LtP by no means some watershed moment in the low-budget RPG industry, I've definitely played drunken RMVX purchases more thoughtfully planned out than LtJ's gameplay. It felt like complete filler in the worst sense. There's no brain to it, no thought. It's just a complete waste of time to even have combat at all. And the new mechanics, in genera, were not implemented well at all. Jumping and masks were a let-down, but timed hits was aggressively a pain in the rear end.

quote:

Rando dying felt like such a forgone conclusion, I was let down that it actually happened. Basically the entire time until he actually DOES die I was wondering where he would bite it, which kind of took away from my enjoyment of his scenes. They just felt way too obvious.

A lot of elements felt contrived to deliver on that "Depressing is meaningful" thing that, while it was a big draw to Lisa standing out, wasn't at all a factor in why it was good. I can't critique LtJ too hard on the story arc because I generally liked it, but it veered way too hard into Angst is Art at many points where I had to ask why it loving mattered at all. The ending salvaged a lot of this, but it still stinks of lazy writing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly it would have been a way bigger and better twist if Rando simply left and never came back.

Amgard posted:

Pretty much. My main objection was how cleanly everything had to come to a head when the main game was anything but. It felt like the characters had an overwhelming compulsion to convene and monologue. And while the monologues were generally good, it still feels out of place a lot of the time.

With regards to writing, LtP was like Deus Ex, but LtJ is like Metal Gear.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think I hosed up and made the game unwinnable on my save.

Rando's gone, I can't buy items because the item shop guy is a Joy Mutant, and every path leads to guys who can kick my rear end or just wear me own gradually through forced battles. I got Terry's Mask though, does that have any use?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I think I hosed up and made the game unwinnable on my save.

Rando's gone, I can't buy items because the item shop guy is a Joy Mutant, and every path leads to guys who can kick my rear end or just wear me own gradually through forced battles. I got Terry's Mask though, does that have any use?

T's mask is useless. What about the bar? Did you kill the guy there? Are you aware Joy is a full heal in addition to it's all-stats buff? (No 100% crit for Buddy though)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anatharon posted:

Really? The ending is actually pretty positive if you picked "Leave them" and not "Join them"

In the former Buddy has made peace with her past. She buries Buzzo and Rando, which is a part of that. Brad's mutant self has semi-stabilized and apparently Buddy has a kid, which... Might be a good thing? Though I suppose the future is really uncertain.

It's really the leadup that completely rips your heart out of your chest and force-feeds it to you. Even the nice warlords like Lardy and Mr. Beautiful are dead, Rando is dead, Buzzo tries to redeem himself right before dying, Yado is feeble, cowardly little wretch so you don't even get any satisfaction from killing him, Joy is still absolutely everywhere and tons of other people died.

Yeah I guess that's a happy ending by the game's standards. Its just still terribly hosed up in so many ways. Mutant Brad being alive is what really makes me uncomfortable with it. I guess if he's mentally stable its a positive thing...sort of. Given how joy mutants act its hard to think of it as a nice thing. Buddy holding Yado's trumpet gives all sorts of bad vibes as well.

Buddy Jr. is going to have a very troubled life growing up with psycho mom and grandpa flesh heap.

Anatharon posted:

Honestly it would have been a way bigger and better twist if Rando simply left and never came back.

I can agree with that. Rando dieing felt like a forgone conclusion. I wasn't expecting him to just straight up leave without saying a word though. That was pretty sad to me because I didn't see it coming. Having him show up again just to die felt unnecessary.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The trumpet seems to be how Yado controlled mutants, though, so if Buddy happens to be nicer everyone in Olathe can stop living in terror of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't wait for Baby: the Confused

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Anatharon posted:

T's mask is useless. What about the bar? Did you kill the guy there? Are you aware Joy is a full heal in addition to it's all-stats buff? (No 100% crit for Buddy though)

I didn't, actually, thanks for reminding me. I guess a no Joy run as Buddy pretty much isn't feasible, then?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't, actually, thanks for reminding me. I guess a no Joy run as Buddy pretty much isn't feasible, then?

You can do a no joy run but it's not worth it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's no reward because Buddy took Joy in LtP and she finds a vaccine anyways.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll finish this one I get home, just big L to take care of.

So I like them trying to cut off grinding, shops (sort of) and even equipment for Buddy but Buddy herself has access to basically two moves and it's boring as hell.

Also the high difficulty is only due to not knowing what the fucks gonna happen next. Pretty sure on replays this will be easy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, just finished the DLC. Buddy is dull as poo poo to play as.

Do any of the endings actually explain anything in the backstory, like where all the women went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They should have really changed Buddy's skills or gave her a dial a combo. What else do you get past the leaping lunge?

• Locked thread