Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Have some random Eastern Bloc stuff (Thanks SkyscraperCity http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=912336 )

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

yessssssss

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I thought this was the architectural failures thread not the ufo prototypes thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is terrifying in a weird sort of way that I can't describe. When are the xenomorphs going to emerge from this thing??

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

blowfish posted:

Why are there no teletubbies in this picture?

Sadly, the Teletubbies home is now gone: http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/01/teletubbies-say-uh-oh-farmer-floods-dipsy-laa-laa-tinky-winky-and-pos-home-to-deter-tourists-3945138/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I look at mindfuck East Bloc architecture I always think early Star Trek: The Next Generation.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Nckdictator posted:

Have some random Eastern Bloc stuff (Thanks SkyscraperCity http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=912336 )

This is the airport in Armenia.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you like that stuff, then I recommend the book Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed. Image search the title for some examples of the stuff inside, it's a great book.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sound Bite posted:

I still think it should've been the Tyrell Corporations's HQ in Blade Runner.

I think it would have been OK if it had stretched way up into the sky.

But I still think the city sized pyramid screamed "hubris" way more than a Tower of Babel that looked like a "T" would have.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

CJacobs posted:

This is terrifying in a weird sort of way that I can't describe. When are the xenomorphs going to emerge from this thing??

Well the upper right pic shows that the wall is a giant hostile alien face, that's probably why you're nervous.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Oh no that bear is about to chomp on that statue

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Allah Rebar.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo, it rips right in half. Thats awesome.

Also those hobbit style houses are loving awesome. Too bad they probably cost several arms and legs to build.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

quote:

A Google employee rests in the Frank Gehry–designed building.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtIHkMuDY8

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Balls of Damocles.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I hope he's wearing siding, I hear lots of dudes have been inside her.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tunga posted:

Is this flat or not, I can't even work it out.

Let's look from another angle!

hnnnnnnnnng fine you figure it out https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5274059,-0.0887509,3a,75y,342.46h,125.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVUDj8FKZuabGqwrF4y-8Cw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Gorilla Salad posted:

Balls of Damocles.

I now wish I had named myself "Scrote of Damocles"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sammus posted:

'no, no don't fire me, I only worked on the good half of the building. See how excellent my work is. Still standing and everything! Fire him over there, he was the one working on the lovely half.'

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's near Old Street so no wonder it's pretentious bullshit. Let's challenge the future and innovate within our vision.

Making a mental note to check out how ghastly it is in the flesh next time I'm in that area.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sammus posted:

Also those hobbit style houses are loving awesome. Too bad they probably cost several arms and legs to build.

Nah, they don't have to. a constant feature of any earthen-mass construction is that they need a shitload of labour to build, which is offset by materials being extremely-cheap-to-free depending on site conditions. so you can build it on the extreme cheap if you quit your day job and just plug away at your house for a year/have a big family or friends that can help frequently, or pay work crews approximately as much- usually less- as you would for a conventional house with a similar square footage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

hnnnnnng it hurts my brain

Honestly the one next to it is worse to me.

It's just so painfully generic but it's not even a box.

It's like they tried to do something but just lacked a single creative bone.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I kinda like the one with the blue dome. If they didn't put in so many loving windows below it, it might look really good.

That East Bloc architecture looks very hit-and-miss though. Sometimes one of them will look pretty decent and then the one right next to it will look like poo poo. Other times the building will look like they had a cool idea at some point before they hosed it up.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
(Mostly) more modern stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

It's like someone wanted to make a building out of the Apollo capsule and it's escape tower.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thwomp posted:

It's like someone wanted to make a building out of the Apollo capsule and it's escape tower.

I keep expecting a giant Tin Man to erupt from the earth and battle Godzilla.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

This would be rad as a police headquarters.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tunga posted:

Oh it's near Old Street so no wonder it's pretentious bullshit. Let's challenge the future and innovate within our vision.

Making a mental note to check out how ghastly it is in the flesh next time I'm in that area.

The fact it's opposite moorfields takes it from so so to genius

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Thwomp posted:

It's a pretty cool tower.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ještěd Tower , near Liberec in Czechia* .

* I know it's officially "The Czech Republic", but that's annoyingly clunky. Czechia [check-ye] is apparently an acceptable variant.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 26, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Nah, they don't have to. a constant feature of any earthen-mass construction is that they need a shitload of labour to build, which is offset by materials being extremely-cheap-to-free depending on site conditions. so you can build it on the extreme cheap if you quit your day job and just plug away at your house for a year/have a big family or friends that can help frequently, or pay work crews approximately as much- usually less- as you would for a conventional house with a similar square footage.

So hire a bunch of day laborers and start digging into a hillside? I have just the place.

I imagine water control is a pretty serious concern, depending on location.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sammus posted:

So hire a bunch of day laborers and start digging into a hillside? I have just the place.

I imagine water control is a pretty serious concern, depending on location.

Both seepage and condensation are serious concerns.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Total Meatlove posted:

The fact it's opposite moorfields takes it from so so to genius
I take it back, it's perfect :golfclap:.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Nckdictator posted:

Do you think maybe he's compensating for something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

I really, really want it to spin.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Nckdictator posted:

This is an awesome example of interwar Constructivist architecture.
IIRC this is not a modern building but has has some additions in the 80+ years ago it was built, and is considered to be an example of early Soviet (1921-1933) futurism which was beautiful and yet functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Nckdictator posted:

Pretty cool hotel and you get a complimentary shot of vodka with breakfast there.

• Locked thread