Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

looks pretty reasonable altho I'm not so sure about their ide and accompanying language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

looks pretty reasonable altho I'm not so sure about their ide and accompanying language

oh i didnt see it uses its own special snowflake ide and language, hmmmm
anything you recommend instead that uses a real language?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

or do all fpgas use special snowflake languages?
like i assumed there'd be a custom library and compiler for C or something

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you can apparently use that board with grownup tools but since its a spartan-6 that limits you to ISE (which has been replaced by vivado for new parts)

i use these eval boards by the truckload at work: https://www.digikey.com/product-sea...22767?k=agln250

but those are just lil igloo nanos which are kind of specialized for low power and stuff

microzed boards are pretty deece depending on your price point although those are zynq boards (fpgas with a pair of cortex-a9s)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

oh dear

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well actually in this modern age, kind of almost yes that is an option (vivado HLS is a C -> RTL compiler) but generally no, fpga development is done in verilog or vhdl

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

verilog or vhdl

these were the words i was looking for

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they're good in that they're languages designed for describing hardware and logic but they're bad in that they're languages designed by people who have no place designing languages

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i have no idea what im doing!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

same except this is literally my job :v:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

same except this is literally my job :v:

same except i really truly have no idea what im doing, vhdl is confusing send help

actually vhdl isnt that hard, timing constraints and getting the loving thing to meet timing is whats hard

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

anyone have experience with RIOT, contiki, or other "iot rtos" solutions?

i need a scheduler for a wifi/tcp driver, thinking FreeRTOS will be plenty, but if one of these upstarts is really compelling I'd consider it

our next product uses freeRTOS and it seems good so far

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

same except i really truly have no idea what im doing, vhdl is confusing send help

actually vhdl isnt that hard, timing constraints and getting the loving thing to meet timing is whats hard

step one don't use vhdl use systemverilog or however much of sysv your toolchain supports

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

DuckConference posted:

our next product uses freeRTOS and it seems good so far

my last job shied away from FreeRTOS and thought that uPython was a better realtime multitasking solution (????????????????????)

[ask] me about making python run on an bespoke hardware stack on a kinetis k64

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmao forever

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ferrets has v. nice integration with the atmel stuff too, i am very much enjoying it

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

step one don't use vhdl use systemverilog or however much of sysv your toolchain supports

I am the low man on the totem pole in my group and its all I can do to get people to use git instead of the garbage ancient proprietary version control thing. No way am I getting anyone to use system verilog (and most of my job is "take the thing that the graybeards made and modify it to fit into this smaller slower part")

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Awia posted:

hahhaha

i have used thints designed in system c before and if you have ever wanted to not be able to debug something then that's the way to go.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

they're good in that they're languages designed for describing hardware and logic but they're bad in that they're languages designed by people who have no place designing languages

vhdl: a language where everyone overloads the + operator out of the box because no thought went into designing it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

i was happy with mixed language environments until one time it didn't work right and i still have nightmares about it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
picture a vhdl testbench with a vhdl behavioral model of a mipi interface, and a DUT with 8 layers of hierarchy in vhdl before you get to the mipi phy rtl which is systemverilog and then you tuen on the vhdl mipi testbench and the boundary between the vhdl rtl and the sv rtl is not translating Xs or Zs correctly so it won't work at all and you file a bug with the simulator vendor and they say it won't be supported for two years and then you have to write a translation layer in BOTH languages that goes inside the DUT during simulation to make it work but you have to remove the translation layer for synthesis.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
was 4value actually getting you anything besides pain

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

was 4value actually getting you anything besides pain

for my simulations no but for the analog people who would want to hook up a behavioral model in place of my vhdl bfm i think it was important for some analog reason i don't understand.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

we're using FreeRTOS and it's pretty dece. anyone used the premium libraries or tools? spending weeks implementing rudimentary functionality is getting kinda old but welcome to embedded i guess

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
any of you lot ever used a photon for anything? this nodejs based embedded dev toolchain is the worst thing i've ever seen

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

any of you lot ever used a photon for anything? this nodejs based embedded dev toolchain is the worst thing i've ever seen

i got one sitting on my desk waiting for me to get back and play with it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I played a fair bit with the Core (predecessor that uses same framework) and liked it until I discovered the older chipset just wouldn't talk to a customer's wireless router.

Photon nixes that issue while also having some badass options for OEMing so rockon

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just route every iot transaction, despite everything being perfectly capable of speaking locally, out through a third party website that may or may not be up that day

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

just route every iot transaction, despite everything being perfectly capable of speaking locally, out through a third party website that may or may not be up that day

wonder how many companies out there are making tiny cell radios for IoT devices so they don't even have to get on a local network, and so they have an excuse to do monthly billing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's great is there are a few dozen/hundred companies enabling exactly that billing themselves as "M2M" that are completely under the radar from anyone for whom "disruption" is already passe

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
new job status: is good. in the two months I've been there I got to

- take an image sensor processor that shipped in a lot of cellphones and make altera FPGA IP out of it, including encryption/time limited evaluation
- integrate that into a reference design for alteras OpenCL thing in a cyclone SoC board, which is tricky since it only has one DDR3 interface and like 7 FPGA modules access that at the same time
- help a bit with the bringup of an arria 10 board (transceivers for 40 Gbit Ethernet, DDR3 controllers). those engineering samples guzzle a lot of amperes holy poo poo

now I get to take an ASIC GigE MAC with all kinds of QoS, that ISP and a MJPEG encoder to make an fpga reference design for some emerging automotive ethernet standard.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
photon phuckaround update: it works after i reset their app, had to set up via usb. their little tindertinker app is cute.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does anyone make ludicrously simple zigbee socs? there are plenty of modules that would work but we'd need something smaller

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
TI has a zigbee-specific part in the CC2xxx line and I thought nordic had SW images for the nRF51822 for zigbee but i don't care enough to look it up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh god the CC2400 radio is poo poo

and the MRF24J40 is also poo poo (but i mean it's Microchip and if you use any of their digital parts in this day and age you deserve all the suffering you are about to experience)

apparently Atmel has some pretty good digital radio ICs that can do 802.15.4?

e: Atmel's various SAM3 chips Cortex uCs are pretty nice too so it seems like you could do a lot worse than Atmel in general. That said their poo poo does tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

price is no object

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oh then tell broadcom you're going to ship 10 million units and throw 9.9million away

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh not THAT deeply into "no object" just like a thing that's another $100/unit on the bom is utterly irrelevant. not like we can buy ten million and shelve all but 5

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:rolleyes: thought this was a proper janitoring thread with all the attention to precision that implied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im working with an atmel design right now and they're Extremely Needs Suiting

• Locked thread