Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Puzzle Quest, I've been enjoying Marvel Puzzle Quest, though they keep teasing me with Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel, but never giving them to me when I get a heroic recruit token. The biggest problem is I keep coming up against walls where the battle will at one point have enough matches be made that it destroys a full strength hero and takes another to half in one move by the computer. Its really loving annoying.

If that's your biggest problem with MPQ, quit now and look back on your time with fondness, because it's gets real loving grindy.

Once you start trying to transition from 2* to 3*, it's hosed. Just completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

When you say 'automatically off' do you mean you turn it off yourself or do you have some magic thing that can do it when it connects to home WiFi? I'm very forgetful and often use loads of data allowance because I forgot to turn it off.

I do it manually, though you can use Tasker or IFTTT to do it for you.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hrm I tried to do it with iftt and I failed

Crap I thought this was the app thread nm sorry

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on 02.18 on The Guides?

I've swiped right and found the different codes, but that just gives me some gibberish like xrxxenxwx - and shifting that doesn't seem to work.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Montalvo posted:

Any thoughts on 02.18 on The Guides?

I've swiped right and found the different codes, but that just gives me some gibberish like xrxxenxwx - and shifting that doesn't seem to work.

Just ignore the Xs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Antifreeze Head posted:

Unlimited data* in Manitoba for $70. :smug:

*full speed for the first 16GB then throttled.

Dear god, that's insane. With who? What other features? PM me or something, I need to know.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Has anybody seen this Amazon Underground thing? Apparently, they are offering a bunch of games and apps with all of the IAP available for free... I haven't checked it out yet beyond the splash screen, but there looks like some good stuff on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1003016361&ref_=&ref_=mas_undrgrnd_flyout

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

According to this AP Article, it's replacing the Amazon Free App Of The Day program.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are the Amazon apps still often well behind their Play Store counterparts in terms of updates?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

tonytheshoes posted:

Has anybody seen this Amazon Underground thing? Apparently, they are offering a bunch of games and apps with all of the IAP available for free... I haven't checked it out yet beyond the splash screen, but there looks like some good stuff on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1003016361&ref_=&ref_=mas_undrgrnd_flyout

But Amazon is using the app to steal your phone contact list! :tinfoil:

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Drunk Badger posted:

But Amazon is using the app to steal your phone contact list! :tinfoil:

Oh my god, the reviews for apps on their site are insane! The real game for those people was deconstructing the actual games to look for anything they thought might penetrate their tinfoil hats...

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

tonytheshoes posted:

This is legit, righy? I'm getting all kinds of security warnings and it wnts permission to send /receive text, as well as use the mic. I don't know if a free full version of Goat Simulator is worth giving every advertiser free access to my phone

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Dr.Caligari posted:

This is legit, righy? I'm getting all kinds of security warnings and it wnts permission to send /receive text, as well as use the mic. I don't know if a free full version of Goat Simulator is worth giving every advertiser free access to my phone

As far as I can tell... It seems to replace the old Amazon 'store' app (not the App Store app, which still appears on my phone).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dear god, that's insane. With who? What other features? PM me or something, I need to know.

In provinces with subsidised providers like MTS and SaskTel plans are better than anywhere else in the country. You just have to live in a frozen flatlands.

I just signed a new plan for $75/3GB in BC :smith:

On topic: Seems like that Walking Dead skinner box is out in Canada finally. I actually kind of like it, it reminds me of that Marvel facebook game I used to play. Anyone still playing this?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Morpheus posted:

I've got a small city called Vangoon (i am not a creative man) up and running, let me know your player Id as well

I'm farquar#26903 looking for a goon town in Shop Heroes

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm trying it out. Or, rather, I would if it worked on my Nexus 7, which (hilariously) it does not. My Galaxy Nexus phone snagged some games, though it took a while for them to show up under Your Apps.

Also apparently not available on my wife's ASUS MeMo Pad.

EDIT: I finally got it on the Nexus -- I had to use their splash page to send a download link for the APK via email, then install it manually. If I try to get it via the web interface or via the old Amazon App Store, it claims incompatibility.

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2015

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

That is the laziest teaser I think I have ever seen for anything. Still looking forward to it if it lets me play hot seat wherein I just play all three/four/five roles as I try to beat the board.

Unlimited data* in Manitoba for $70. :smug:

*full speed for the first 16GB then throttled.

I remember my internet in Canada. I ended up switching to a local carrier and had unlimited at full speed for $60/month.

Now I sit on a FIOS connection in Mexico with no bandwidth limits whatsoever for about $40/month.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Farquar posted:

I'm farquar#26903 looking for a goon town in Shop Heroes

Invited. We have some low level dude who I dunno if he's a goon, but otherwise we need to upgrade Town Hall for a sixth spot.

Shop Heroes actually has quite some legs to it, as far as a mobile game goes - it's pretty transparently Swords and Potions, but with a lot of that game's worst features completely removed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Invited. We have some low level dude who I dunno if he's a goon, but otherwise we need to upgrade Town Hall for a sixth spot.

Shop Heroes actually has quite some legs to it, as far as a mobile game goes - it's pretty transparently Swords and Potions, but with a lot of that game's worst features completely removed.

I am enjoying it - about to hit level 11. People seemed to have joined my town randomly, but I am unable to join others. I might just be missing the button somewhere. Would love to get in on a goonville.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Can't join a town for another 9 hours because i joined a pubbie on to see what the deal was, but when you have a slot / in 9 hours time: roid#34570

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

tonytheshoes posted:

Grabbed Jetpack Joyride to try out the 'actually free' stuff...

... it actually is. You can go into the iap menu and get a million coins a dozen times and it'll do the 'transaction processing' thing but not actually charge you. You've got infinite money.

On one hand you get all the cosmetic stuff and upgrades from the get-go now.

On the other hand, collecting coins is sorta the point of Jetpack Joyride... and I suspect some other games as well... so this feels kinda like using a game genie. It's novel I guess but without any goals or anything new to grind towards it all just sorta starts feeling pointless and it made me kinda depressed thinking about it... like if these games are actually 'fun' or if all the 'fun' evaporates when the skinner boxes and grinding are taken away...

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd love to join the goon town, but I'm level 23 and dropping into a less developed town would be a kiss of death due to lack of resources.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
I can't figure out how to fire workers in Shop Heroes. Everything I see says to select the worker then press fire but there is no fire button for me :confused: :confused:

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

wall monitor posted:

On the other hand, collecting coins is sorta the point of Jetpack Joyride... and I suspect some other games as well... so this feels kinda like using a game genie. It's novel I guess but without any goals or anything new to grind towards it all just sorta starts feeling pointless and it made me kinda depressed thinking about it... like if these games are actually 'fun' or if all the 'fun' evaporates when the skinner boxes and grinding are taken away...

Amazon posted some app re-balancing guidelines to address this. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/underground/docs/app-rebalancing-requirements-for-amazon-underground

I'm not sure if Underground will catch on, but maybe it can help developers experiment and move away from the current freemium model.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tonytheshoes posted:

Interesting, but I gave up on the amazon free apps because I often found I couldn't play them without it connecting to the amazon store. Same reason I don't buy mp3s through them anymore either.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'll try out shop heroes. As long as it isn't a cash cow it's the kinda game I like

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Underground app doesn't offer up the free stuff if you're Canadian. I hope that changes!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EvilElmo posted:

I'll try out shop heroes. As long as it isn't a cash cow it's the kinda game I like

paying gems will speed up the early game but isn't needed. Endgame you're never going to hit the top of the rankings without paying something. You can also freely buy/sell higher end items for gems so you can try going that route (good luck).

The only things that are explicitly only for paid users are the items you get in the rogue/warrior/wizard packs, which are frankly horseshit, but only early game.

Deki fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 27, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

coyo7e posted:

Interesting, but I gave up on the amazon free apps because I often found I couldn't play them without it connecting to the amazon store. Same reason I don't buy mp3s through them anymore either.

I thought Amazon's MP3s were DRM free. Why would you need to connect to anything in order to listen to music?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They are if you download them. Surprisingly, if you don't download them you need to be connected to the internet in order to stream them. (I don't know what they're taking about, I've never had a problem with them once they're downloaded on my phone or PC.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm tatersalad#28866 in the skinner shop game.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Deki posted:

paying gems will speed up the early game but isn't needed. Endgame you're never going to hit the top of the rankings without paying something. You can also freely buy/sell higher end items for gems so you can try going that route (good luck).

The only things that are explicitly only for paid users are the items you get in the rogue/warrior/wizard packs, which are frankly horseshit, but only early game.

Thanks. Enjoying it so far.

evilelmo#24353 looking for town invite.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Niton posted:

If you guys want some cash to dump into the town hall, I'm down to help. Put an item (That isn't currently on the AH) on the Auction House for 100k gold or so and I'll buy it for you.

e: make sure to tell me what to look for in this thread.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

tater_salad posted:

I'm tatersalad#28866 in the skinner shop game.

Let's go skin shops!
Kross#38437

*Wow this devours my battery, even when plugged in.
Seems towns should consist of mainly players around the same level (just hit 5) due to the ways buildings upgrade + resource costs. Also didn't realize just how small town sizes were (starts at 4 and gets slightly larger after upgrades)

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 27, 2015

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
With the new Amazon Underground thing, you can "own" apps without downloading them if you use a regular browser. So, just in case all the good stuff disappears in a week, you might as well get any and all of the apps that you think you might ever use.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Into the Void is a Homeworldy-looking spacefleet strategy RPG that hit the Play Store today. It looks quite cool.

edit: Lara Croft GO, the Hitman GO-inspired Tomb Raider game is also out now. Having had a quick play, the game looks loving amazing and it also has a real Monument Valley kind of vibe in terms of look and puzzles, but more challenging and with an actual chance of failure. I'm also glad to see the game hasn't completely abandoned the Hitman GO type puzzles either:

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

edit2: Critically acclaimed comic panel swapping puzzle game Framed is also out now.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 27, 2015

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So I need to get to level 12 before I can have 3 workers? Thats gonna take forever!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pacman 256 is real fun, but CE DX Championship Eternal Pacman Forever + or whatever spoiled me. I die very often thinking I can matrix skate my way around a corner but the game always errs on the side of "gently caress you, ghost gotcha."

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Reading the details of Amazon Underground is interesting, looks like devs are paid by the minute when you keep an app open. Having not used it get myself, are they using ads or something else to generate that money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, if that became the standard, think how much more tedious games will become.