Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

If it's not too gross a solution then maybe they'll come back and fix up the Steam release too...
Spongeh posted earlier in this thread that he's been trying to sort something out for the Steam Id games, but there's more than just technical issues to deal with... if you get my drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yup. If it's been sorted for GOG tho then maybe it can be sorted for Steam (depending on how they did it and how much of the work was done by GOG vs id).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mak0rz posted:

I learned my lesson from Steam releases of old games like Dark Forces and Quake: If the game is older than 15 or so years, get the GOG version. For the love of God get the GOG version.

I made that mistake with Kingpin and not I can't hear the real motherfuckin soundtrack.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GOG Quake does indeed come with all the soundtracks as .ogg files. Also they are all bundled into a single MUSIC folder with nothing to differentiate them (TRACK02.ogg through to TRACK27.ogg), and both expansions just play the original Reznor Quake music :(

Have posted about it on the forums there so hopefully it'll get a fix soon.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

If you're using Quakespasm, move or copy the files from the GOG_Quake_Install_Dir\MUSIC to the directories below to fix the music issue. I used fresh Quakespasm directory and only copied over the pak files and music so I didn't have a bunch of clutter.

1. Track02.ogg - Track11.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\id1\music
2. Track12.ogg - Track19.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\hipnotic\music and rename the tracks to Track02.ogg - Track09.ogg in the order that they're in. So Track12.ogg becomes Track02.ogg, etc.
3. Track20.ogg - Track26.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\rogue\music and rename the tracks the same way you did in step 2

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

X-Ultron posted:

If you're using Quakespasm, move or copy the files from the GOG_Quake_Install_Dir\MUSIC to the directories below to fix the music issue. I used fresh Quakespasm directory and only copied over the pak files and music so I didn't have a bunch of clutter.

1. Track02.ogg - Track11.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\id1\music
2. Track12.ogg - Track19.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\hipnotic\music and rename the tracks to Track02.ogg - Track09.ogg in the order that they're in. So Track12.ogg becomes Track02.ogg, etc.
3. Track20.ogg - Track26.ogg to Quakespasm_Dir\rogue\music and rename the tracks the same way you did in step 2

Perfect! Thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Law posted:

Yup. If it's been sorted for GOG tho then maybe it can be sorted for Steam (depending on how they did it and how much of the work was done by GOG vs id).

Hey if Steam could sort the ridiculous issues in their Doom offering maybe they could address the exchange rate in Doom's European pricing? Because this is absurd:
* The Ultimate Doom ($4.99 / 9,99€ / £5.99) [1]
* Doom II ($4.99 / 9,99€ / £5.99) [2]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh dear

Gog moderator posted:

Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to complicated legal issues we needed to remove the ogg music from the game. Instead we've added disk images into the build so that the DosBox version stays intact (as DosBox can mount CD images by itself). As for the Windows version, if you happen to have the game's CD you can just insert it and play the game with music.

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but the world of legal agreements written 20 years ago can be ... a complicated one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!

Well, glad I bought and downloaded it within the first 10 hours I guess :ohdear:

edit: actually on re-reading it seems the music is still there, but I guess you'd have to mount the CD image and rip the files yourself. On the plus side, the music is now in lossless format I guess!

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 26, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, I didn't have time to buy and download while it lasted but hey, I keep the music from the steam patch so there's that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I should grab Quake, I have the complete collection on disc, but for whatever reason it was only Quake 1-3 with no expansions.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

catlord posted:

I should grab Quake, I have the complete collection on disc, but for whatever reason it was only Quake 1-3 with no expansions.

I have the same one. I've never actually played the expansions packs.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

Ultimate Quake. For extra funnies, the included "history of Quake" video contains scenes clearly taken from mission packs and Team Arena. So frustrating.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

Ultimate Quake. For extra funnies, the included "history of Quake" video contains scenes clearly taken from mission packs and Team Arena. So frustrating.

I know! I found those videos! I assume the missing expansions has something to do with rights or something, but wasn't Team Arena made by iD themselves? Why was that at least not included? What an Ultimate collection.

Edit:

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm not sure I would recommend spending the money. All the Q1 and Q2 expansion packs are seriously flawed compared to the originals and no one plays Team Arena.

I play 3 with bots, so I'm all for getting the Team Arena stuff. And at the very least there are some mods that require the Q1 expansions. I could probably give or take the Q2 expansions, but poo poo, if I'm getting everything else.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 26, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I have the same one. I've never actually played the expansions packs.

I'm not sure I would recommend spending the money. All the Q1 and Q2 expansion packs are seriously flawed compared to the originals and no one plays Team Arena.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Scourge of Armagon for Quake 1 rules, however. On par with the main game in my book, and I played it for the first time quite recently, via recommendation in this thread.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Scourge is worth it, Team Arena, Q2 mission packs, and Dissolution all suck though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like Dissolution's weapons, but most of the map design was pretty bad, especially compared to the maps in vanilla Q1 and SoA.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone recommend me some relatively "old school" level sets (at least 5 maps, preferably more) for Quake that largely stick to the original game's sort of design philosophy. I've played a whole slew of giant standalone limit-removing epic maps and I'm in the mood for a classic style episode. Custom texture sets (like ikblue) are fine if they fit the original Quake aesthetics and are software friendly (like ikblue--love that set). So far I've tried:

* Beyond Belief wasn't quite as good as ID1 but it was still pretty good
* IKSPQ is beautiful but suffers from stale and predictable level design--Iikka Keranen is nowhere near as good a mapper as he is a texture artist. Also it begins with a Babby's First Quake Map and doesn't get good until the second level. IKSPQ5 shows significant improvement but there's no more after that.
* The Terra episode proved unbelievably, impossibly difficult starting from level 3 (3 Shamblers in a tiny L-shaped arena when I'm out of nails? Sounds fun for someone who isn't me!)
* I've played two maps of The Final Descent. It plays decently but the architecture is boxy and amateurish.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

* The Terra episode proved unbelievably, impossibly difficult starting from level 3 (3 Shamblers in a tiny L-shaped arena when I'm out of nails? Sounds fun for someone who isn't me!)

Since I started messing around with player-made Quake maps, I've finally learnt the secret to fighting Shamblers: Get into melee range, back off slightly when they swing, then run back in again so they'll do another melee attack immediately after. Repeat and even the single barrel shotgun will kill one. Eventually. Much easier and more repeatable than dodging lightning bolts, I've found.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Playing through Scourge makes me nostalgic and wanting to play SiN and other Ritual Ent. games again.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Since I started messing around with player-made Quake maps, I've finally learnt the secret to fighting Shamblers: Get into melee range, back off slightly when they swing, then run back in again so they'll do another melee attack immediately after. Repeat and even the single barrel shotgun will kill one. Eventually. Much easier and more repeatable than dodging lightning bolts, I've found.

I haven't really mastered it yet, but it doesn't matter because it won't save you if you're boxed in by three of them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dominic White posted:

I pop in and out of pillars whenever possible. You can still take them down with something as simple of the Single Shotgun by doing so, but it'll take a little bit longer.

It starts getting tricky when there are other enemies around, but it's certainly doable.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

I pop in and out of pillars whenever possible.

Quite a few maps love throwing shamblers at you with little to no cover. It's usually best to just charge in and kill them at melee range at that point.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Quite a few maps love throwing shamblers at you with little to no cover. It's usually best to just charge in and kill them at melee range at that point.

That's why I have a fully-stocked SNG whenever possible so I don't eat a lot of damage when that happens. :v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dominic White posted:

:stare:

Woolie Wool posted:

I haven't really mastered it yet, but it doesn't matter because it won't save you if you're boxed in by three of them.

:catstare:

Dominic White posted:

:dogbutton:

Goddamn modders are just massive petty dickheads.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you play hundreds of Quake maps and aren't hopelessly bad at video games like me you'll become so good at Quake you need ever more ridiculous challenges to overcome. Fortunately most Quake mappers tend to be more lenient with easy and normal skill levels than Doom mappers. Most. (TRONYYYYYYYN :argh:)

And speaking of Q1SP, Travail E2M1 might have turned me off playing the rest of the map set with SPIDERS. :gonk:

They poison you (of course), in super8 they make your screen go all crazy colored for around two seconds when they envenomate you, and their jump attack is supposedly sometimes an instant kill (I wasn't hit by a jump attack though). And of course they're quiet, hard to see, and have too many hitpoints.

It's a shame, after the cramped shitscan fest of E1M1 the first episode of Travail was really good.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Reading all this makes me glad I've never played a single Quake game. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The first two Quake games are excellent and you're missing out if you don't at least play the original Id levels. Modderisms are in every game with a significant mod scene, not just Quake.

Quake 3 was a really good deathmatch game but now the skill floor to compete is so high I don't really see the point of getting into Q3A if you're not already into Q3A.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What the hell is this?

Play Quake god dammit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Haha, who needs the greatest 3d shooter ever made am I right fellas

Woolie Wool posted:

If you play hundreds of Quake maps and aren't hopelessly bad at video games like me you'll become so good at Quake you need ever more ridiculous challenges to overcome. Fortunately most Quake mappers tend to be more lenient with easy and normal skill levels than Doom mappers. Most. (TRONYYYYYYYN :argh:)

Yyyyyyeah I just played Koshtra Belorn from mapjam2 on Nightmare and I'm ready to never see another scrag again

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

skasion posted:

I ought to crowbar you in the face for that one.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Johnny Law posted:

That's an interesting question... I'll check it out later if no one beats me to it. Someone on func_msgboard says that the download size is too small to be a CD ISO, so they might have done something like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113399618 ?? Although that would be a little... janky. If it's not too gross a solution then maybe they'll come back and fix up the Steam release too...

Good loving luck. They still haven't fixed Doom 3 shipping without the dedicated server or the old version of hexdd.wad.

skasion posted:

I'm sorry but you can't turn into a squid in Quake therefore it is objectively inferior to Splatoon.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 27, 2015

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000
Does anyone recall a quake 1 mod that allowed you to shoot multiple off-handed grappling hooks? You could kind of operate like Spawn and hook yourself into a corner or in the middle of a room and then release them all at once and drop down. I thought I had it backed up on CD but haven't found it and can't even remember the name.

The search has allowed me to rediscover some fun mods like the bungee cord mod (fun but not what I was looking for)...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shrak?

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

I don't think so, although Shrak is another fun mod with cool features. But I will have to check. I thought I remember this not being a commercial product. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

It's honestly not quite as bad as it sounds. Shamblers melt really quickly against the super nailgun, and melee-baiting them is really much easier than it looks. They only have two melee animations, and they're both very well telegraphed.

Once you have the rhythm down, it's a foolproof way to kill a shambler without taking a hit. Also, don't use rockets or grenades on them; they take half damage from explosives, meaning the grenade launcher is almost totally useless.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Klaus88 posted:

It's more that most modders don't bother to have anyone else test their maps, and so they or their team do the testing themselves, and since they placed the enemies they know exactly what to expect, and can't gauge skill/fun correctly.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

And speaking of Q1SP, Travail E2M1 might have turned me off playing the rest of the map set with SPIDERS. :gonk:

They poison you (of course), in super8 they make your screen go all crazy colored for around two seconds when they envenomate you, and their jump attack is supposedly sometimes an instant kill (I wasn't hit by a jump attack though). And of course they're quiet, hard to see, and have too many hitpoints.

It's a shame, after the cramped shitscan fest of E1M1 the first episode of Travail was really good.

I actually play Q1SP maps in Hard by default because I've found that even Normal is too easy for me in a vast majority of maps.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dominic White posted:

Yup.

Man, and I remember when Shamblers were basically Cyberdemon-level threats for me. Once somebody clued me in to melee-baiting them, that threat level dropped a fair bit, to the point that I think Viles might be slightly more annoying (if only just).

They're still pretty much the most dangerous thing Quake has, mind, but you can't melee-bait a Cyberdemon (no melee attack to bait!), so there's not really any comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

I can verify this to be a universal truth.
We live to see you suffer.