Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

I have that available on M, might be a 5.0+ thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Out of interest, can y'all try going to Device and Navigation in the settings, setting Page Transitions to Default/Disabled (whatever the top one is), then close and restart the app?

Did this, still have the same issue.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Unclean009 posted:

I have that available on M, might be a 5.0+ thing

Nah it's a certain-revision-of-JellyBean thing

But yeah, if you don't have the option then you'll basically be on the default anyway, so it isn't that!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any plans to implement polls into the app?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

Things the app does not (yet):
- Allow you to create threads
- Show user profiles
- Leper's colony / see probation reasons
- Display polls
- SAclopedia
- Search
and lots more

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
To be fair, some of the stuff on that list may be more likely than others. For instance, it seems pretty set-in-stone that the app will never allow you to post a thread, but maybe polls are less unlikely?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I've looked into polls once like 2 years ago for like an hour and at the time the biggest problem was the presentation (following me not wanting to deal with the app's database backend) . I assume there are probably a few JavaScript Frameworks now that could do it via some nice canvas.

I'm not saying it'll be in the next version but I'll take a closer look at it soon.

Did I mention that due to the current networking library, search is probably not going to be done in the foreseeable future? The forums search redirects you to a different page with your results and the library just can't deal with that.
There are ways to get around this but it requires changing the way we use the library. So it's either rewriting everything or rewriting everything.

Also I should change the "allow you" in the open to "ability" :)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know we even have search on these forums, I thought it was one of those permanent hosed features since Lowtax seemed to stop caring a few years ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

notZaar posted:

I didn't know we even have search on these forums, I thought it was one of those permanent hosed features since Lowtax seemed to stop caring a few years ago.

Both of those things are true.

A worse search could not have been designed deliberately.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

notZaar posted:

Radium's Enemy got nuSearch up and running.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Any chance of changing the new quoted post colour to something that isn't gaschamber-green?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:siren: webview got an update :siren:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Android 5 on a samsung A3 here.

When I click on the page indicator in the bottom of the app, and manually type the pagenumber I want to go to, it just reloads the current page.

Is it possible to show all emoticons somewhere when typing a post, and just click one to use it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Oli posted:

When I click on the page indicator in the bottom of the app, and manually type the pagenumber I want to go to, it just reloads the current page.

Huh. Happens on a 2014 Moto X running 5.1 as well.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Oli posted:

Is it possible to show all emoticons somewhere when typing a post, and just click one to use it?

hooah posted:

Huh. Happens on a 2014 Moto X running 5.1 as well.

Same on Oneplus One running 5.0.2.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It only happens when I don't press enter/checkmark on the keyboard but straight up press OK.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Oli posted:

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and when I make a post or comment, in the upper right hand corner is an underlined A. When I tap it, the first option is emotes, which shows all of them, and I can just tap to use whichever I want.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and when I make a post or comment, in the upper right hand corner is an underlined A. When I tap it, the first option is emotes, which shows all of them, and I can just tap to use whichever I want.

Thanks..now it would be nice if they were animated :xd:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Daztek posted:

It only happens when I don't press enter/checkmark on the keyboard but straight up press OK.

Ahh thats it. I should click return on the keyboard and then Ok!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lately, every time I try to load Awful and look at a thread or my bookmarks, I get a "too many redirects" error.

I don't understand 99.9% of everything that goes on with phone internet stuff, it's all wizardry to me, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Beyond, natch, turning the phone off and on again.

e: which doesn't help

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sometimes the error messages are useful for users (like if your internet or DNS server is down or whatever), but it's mostly there so the devs have a clue what's up when someone reports problems. Have you tried logging out and back in?

VVV :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
wrong thread

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 28, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Sometimes the error messages are useful for users (like if your internet or DNS server is down or whatever), but it's mostly there so the devs have a clue what's up when someone reports problems. Have you tried logging out and back in?

VVV :v:

I have not. I'll give it a go.

e: seems to be working now, thanks.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 29, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oli posted:

Click the underlined A at the top right when replying; Emotes is the first choice in that menu.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

spankmeister posted:

:siren: webview got an update :siren:

And it causes awful to hang for me :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quick question: I was browsing a GIF thread and I accidentally touched "always open URL" while trying to load an in-line image, is there some way to reset it so it doesn't always open URLs when I touch GIF images? I've looked all over the settings but didn't find one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mikl posted:

Quick question: I was browsing a GIF thread and I accidentally touched "always open URL" while trying to load an in-line image, is there some way to reset it so it doesn't always open URLs when I touch GIF images? I've looked all over the settings but didn't find one.

I think that's up to Android, not Awful. Go into your app management settings, select the app that opens GIF files now, and click clear defaults.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think that's up to Android, not Awful. Go into your app management settings, select the app that opens GIF files now, and click clear defaults.

This wasn't it, but by messing around in the options I found it. In case someone has the same problem: Settings > posts > deselect "always open links" at the bottom of the page.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Mikl posted:

This wasn't it, but by messing around in the options I found it. In case someone has the same problem: Settings > posts > deselect "always open links" at the bottom of the page.

Ha, I came here to tell you that I found the answer, but you beat me to it!

Good thing I figured it out (well, you did too) because I had clicked the always show button so I could test, and that's not my desired behavior.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Whoa.

And I cant read what I'm typing. I can read the posts though.

E: restarted the app, it's fine now. But it turned evil for a minute.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 1, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croisquessein posted:

Whoa.

And I cant read what I'm typing. I can read the posts though.

E: restarted the app, it's fine now. But it turned evil for a minute.

The Androids are taking over and converting everything into barcode binary. You've seen what you shouldn't and now they'll hunt you down in case you try to stop their long-term machinations. :tinfoil:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm not sure if it's a known issue or it's been mentioned before, but I'm having a slightly annoying issue with the app on my Galaxy GT-I9100, android version 4.1.2. Often when loading a thread it seems to be loading fine (the loading bar appears, etc) but the last read thread stays on the screen. Once this happens, I can't read any thread at all, it always shows the one that's stuck. I've tried reinstalling the app, but that doesn't fix it. I have to clean my memory for the app to go back to normal again, which always solves the issue, but the it always pops back up eventually. Sometimes I can go a day without it happening, sometimes it happens right away.

It's not a big deal, just really annoying.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Why am I not seeing the button to create a new thread anymore?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 1, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There never was such a button.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hooah posted:

There never was such a button.

Huh, guess my memory is shot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe the Something app has/had that?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

He might be talking about the Floating Action Button (like the + in Gmail) that lets you reply quickly to threads.

Settings > [Advanced] Device and navigation > [Display] Disable FABs

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The iOS app does let you compose new threads, but this one does not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Maybe the Something app has/had that?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I have the highlight options on in Awful app, so my posts and OP posts all have a yellow background.

But recently I've started seeing some posts with an orange background! And these are not my posts, or OP posts. (Or mod or admin posts, or anything else I can think of that makes sense) I see no other highlight options even available to account for this.

What does it mean?! :supaburn: