Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love reading the poo poo that fake tech support scammers leave on the desktop. We just got a couple machines in where the client basically paid some guys from https://www.primetechsupportinc.com (their payment page works but they don't even have a fake splash page on the root of the domain) $700 to pretend to upgrade Kaspersky on both his machines.

Found this on the desktop:

KaskerskyTechSupport.txt posted:

•Product Name - Lifetime Upgrade for Kaspersky Anti virus to Kaspersky ANti Hacking
•Amount Paid - $399.99
•Customer Support - 1888-569-0037
•Technical Support - 1888-351-0703
•Renewal Team - 1888-351-0748
•Customer's User Id - 41110010522A
If you face any Problem
Call Us and ask for (Edward Martin)
Regards,
Edward Martin(Technician)

*Warning* DO NOT GIVE ACCESS OF YOUR COMPUTER TO ANYONE WITHOUT CONFIRMING "USER ID"

I would also like to inform you that nowadays In United States computer owners like you are receiving calls from scammers/fraudsters to allow them to identify if your computer has viruses. These scammers also claim that they are calling from Microsoft and they are getting a message on their server as you are using a windows machine that your computer is hacked. Please don’t fall into the trap of such scammers, we are your security company for your computer. so any such call you receive in future just call us right back and DO NOT GIVE ACCESS OF YOUR COMPUTER TO ANYONE WITHOUT CONFIRMING "USER ID".
Below are the only numbers related to us. If you will receive any call apart from these numbers could be a Scam Call, we would advise you not to entertain them.

• Customer Support - 1888-569-0037
• Technical Support - 1888-351-0703
• Renewal Team - 1888-351-0748
The fuckin' balls to warn the guy about the Phone Call From Microsoft Scam after they just pulled the same thing on him.

And right next to it is this .bat file...

kaspersky anti hacking tool.bat posted:

code:
@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
color f
echo.
echo.
set i=30
(Set /P x=²²²²²²²²²²²²²²   Encrypting Computer Network   ²²²²²²²²²²²²²²²² ) < NUL
ECHO.
echo.
FOR /l %%a in (30,1,79) do set j=!j!²
FOR /l %%a in (30,1,79) do set j=!j!
(Set /P j=!j!) < NUL
:start
call :show %i%
:put the command in the next line
ping -n 1 [url]www.google.com[/url] > NUL
set /a i = i + 1
if /i %i% leq 79 goto start
ECHO.
ECHO.
endlocal
(Set /P j=Encryption Complete...!) < NUL
ECHO. 
ECHO Features:
ECHO -NAP Activated For 5 Years
ECHO -HackerBlocked for 5 Years
ECHO -EMAIL Enrypted for 5 Years
ECHO -Website Encrypted For 5 Years
PAUSE>NUL
goto :start
:show
(Set /P j=Û) < NUL
title !p!% KaspersKy Anti Hacking Tool 7.1
exit /b
endlocal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

Rackspace email is down. Shower me with tickets, coworkers. Please ignore the giant red, bold text on the submission page that says not to submit a ticket on the matter.

Ah yes; users and their ability to use the eyeballs attached to their face.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

wa27 posted:

Oh well, today is also my birthday.

Yesterday was also my birthday.. There must be something about Thanksgiving that makes people wanna conceive.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Thanksgiving makes me want a nap. Between food and booze it's a great day to just say gently caress off to the rest of the world. It's nice. That's probably why I'm such a boring person.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Entropic posted:

Other than ping google and print a bunch of guff into the terminal, what does that actually do while it's looping?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 26, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Entropic posted:

I love reading the poo poo that fake tech support scammers leave on the desktop. We just got a couple machines in where the client basically paid some guys from https://www.primetechsupportinc.com (their payment page works but they don't even have a fake splash page on the root of the domain) $700 to pretend to upgrade Kaspersky on both his machines.

Found this on the desktop:

The fuckin' balls to warn the guy about the Phone Call From Microsoft Scam after they just pulled the same thing on him.

loving loooooooool

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Other than ping google and print a bunch of guff into the terminal, what does that actually do while it's looping?
Nothing. The ping google is just because the windows command prompt doesn't have a built in sleep() function, so pinging a host and piping redirecting the output to NUL is a common way to insert a delay.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 26, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dragyn posted:

Yesterday was also my birthday.. There must be something about Thanksgiving that makes people wanna conceive.
We had 2 birthdays in the office yesterday as well.

I always figured I was a V-day baby, being born mid november.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

OwlFancier posted:

Absolutely gently caress all. :thejoke:

It makes a fake progress bar scroll across the screen to make the user think it's defragging the Matrix or whatever.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So last week i went to the company party. I ran into one of our users there who told me she had a problem with her keyboard. At the party. On a friday night. I respond with monday. Make a ticket. And i go off to party with my co workers. I ran into her later again and she said. Remember the dot. Im like. What dot? The dot on my keyboard. Its not worki--- i yell monday. And ran Off.
Really you are going to aks me on a party on a friday night to fix ur keyboard?

Did get called the hero of IT at the party. So that felt good.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 26, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sefal posted:

So last week i went to the company party. I ran into one of our users there who told me she had a problem with her keyboard. At the party. On a friday night. I respond with monday. Make a ticket. And i go off to party with my co workers. I ran into her later again and she said. Remember the dot. Im like. What dot? The dot on my keyboard. Its not worki--- i yell monday. And ran. Off.

Really you are going to aks me on a party on a monday night to fix ur keyboard?

At least it was work related. I stopped going out with coworkers because they all thought it was appropriate to ask me about their personal or their kids computers while at a bar after hours.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

At least it was work related. I stopped going out with coworkers because they all thought it was appropriate to ask me about their personal or their kids computers while at a bar after hours.

Yeah i suppose its good thats its work related. But all i can do for her at that moment is tell her to put in a ticket on monday

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Entropic posted:

Absolutely gently caress all. :thejoke:

It makes a fake progress bar scroll across the screen to make the user think it's defragging the Matrix or whatever.

Those scammers ought to learn Powershell, they could use Write-Progress to make some cool looking progress bars and they could replace their ping with Start-Sleep

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Those scammers ought to learn Powershell, they could use Write-Progress to make some cool looking progress bars and they could replace their ping with Start-Sleep

Why go to all that effort when people fall for this basic poo poo? And the marks probably think a terminal looks more authentically computer-magic-wizardy than a GUI anyway, which is why they don't even bother making a custom executable.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 26, 2015

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

GreenNight posted:

You're lucky that your users wait until after hours to ask you personal IT questions.

I usually give our people advice if it's something easy. If they actually want me to do or touch something I tell them personal stuff costs money. Most of them laugh. I don't know why they think it's funny.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Considerinng they seem to be using a goto label as a comment in one part they should probably work on mastering batch files first.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just joined the UNIX team at a big state agency. I have to get an exemption from the CIO with a business need to get Firefox instead of IE10.

:smithicide:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
uh.... So, while I'm busy counting all these unhatched chickens, I'll take the opportunity to mention that I was talking with the sales manager about IT being its own department, and he mentioned to me that he's been so impressed with my attitude and performance in contrast to the chief engineer that he's going to make special mention to the GM and inquire why I'm not the IT director.

I think a promotion is brewing :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you got the IT director job, what's more likely

A. Chief engineer quits.
B. Chief engineer does everything he can to sabotage you.
C. He is thrilled and works with you to make the world a better place.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A ticket came in...

quote:

Please provide table permissions in table.sqldatabase for <name> so that <name> can enter data into the table without permissing the SQL database itself. Please ensure <name> does not have access to the SQL database in any form other than table.sqldatabase. Access should be DBO for table.sqldatabase.

This is going to be a long conversation.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is coming from a dude that works with SQL reporting pretty constantly.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 26, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenNight posted:

If you got the IT director job, what's more likely

A. Chief engineer quits.
B. Chief engineer does everything he can to sabotage you.
C. He is thrilled and works with you to make the world a better place.

B, then A.

More likely, he sulks like a big hurt baby and does absolutely gently caress all to support me in a passive aggressive manner, hoping I eventually crash and burn on my own, just like he does now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A ticket came in...

This is going to be a long conversation.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is coming from a dude that works with SQL reporting pretty constantly.

Can you not simply grant readwrite on a single table and not the entire database? They might be able to see the other tables but they wouldn't be able to touch them.

larchesdanrew posted:

B, then A.

More likely, he sulks like a big hurt baby and does absolutely gently caress all to support me in a passive aggressive manner, hoping I eventually crash and burn on my own, just like he does now.

I would think C would also lead directly to A.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
He wants permissions for this user to only exist on that table, nowhere else. Not even read/list permissions for the root of the database.

They also do their work directly through SQL Management Studio, so as far as I'm aware you can't give specific table access without having at least some rudimentary form of access before you can even enumerate the table.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

He wants permissions for this user to only exist on that table, nowhere else. Not even read/list permissions for the root of the database.

They also do their work directly through SQL Management Studio, so as far as I'm aware you can't give specific table access without having at least some rudimentary form of access before you can even enumerate the table.

Make a stored procedure for each use case (select, update and insert on this particular table?) and grant him execute on them? Should be possible with no access other than a login on the server. That's the reason why parameterized SPs are the standard way for web apps to access databases after all.

Still loving stupid though, a web gui using those procs is exactly what he needs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

B, then A.

If you get an IT department created and put in charge of it, what do you need the chief engineer for? Presumably you would do all the IT related installations on account of that being IT's job.

Unless you need a wall demolished or something would you ever have to speak to him?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If you get an IT department created and put in charge of it, what do you need the chief engineer for? Presumably you would do all the IT related installations on account of that being IT's job.

Unless you need a wall demolished or something would you ever have to speak to him?

I imagine facilities would still fall under Engineering.

"You can't rack IT equipment in the Engineering room"

"Put in a request for for the voltage/amperage for your server racks and I'll schedule a time for that to be pulled." (never gets scheduled)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess, though at least then when the GM asks why nothing's getting done you can point to the pile of engineering requests.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

OwlFancier posted:

His job is at a TV station. So if they do separate it all the television equipment would fall under the direction of the Engineer, while all the computer things would be IT.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Caconym posted:

Make a stored procedure for each use case (select, update and insert on this particular table?) and grant him execute on them? Should be possible with no access other than a login on the server. That's the reason why parameterized SPs are the standard way for web apps to access databases after all.

Still loving stupid though, a web gui using those procs is exactly what he needs.

That's a good thought. I'm not really a SQL guy beyond running queries and pulling data.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

While the stored procedure idea is a good one, I have a feeling that you may want to just say "SQL won't allow this to be done" and try and figure out what they're attempting to accomplish here. Having just dealt with a massive-rear end PCI compliance thing at my own company, I've run into more than a few cases of "We just a simple X", which end up actually being "Well, we were planning on a Z this entire time, but we figured it'd be easier to start with X, that won't be a problem, right?", thus wasting huge amounts of time refactoring or rewriting X into Z instead of just doing a scaled-down Z with room to expand in the first place.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I work with adults. Actual honest to poo poo grown-ups, at a Financial Institution. I wear a tie to work sometimes!

HOW IS THIS A THING?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

In a television studio, the two aren't mutually exclusive, especially since everything is digital now. Like, I'd be responsible for racking a new MUX unit, but it'd be his responsibility to run the audio lines to it. I'd handle installing the new digital switcher, but he'd have to program it. In the event of catastrophic failure at our transmitters, I'd still need to join him, since two people are required to be there.

But, I'd no longer be reliant on his say so to invest in new equipment, or parts, or decommissioning lovely loving DSL modems that are loving up our FTP servers.

It'll be a glorious loving world for me. I'm speaking with the GM first thing in the morning. Wish me luck, goons :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I hate when people can't follow simple instructions and want to make a simple fix more difficult. Case in point...

The bitch client I've mentioned several times here and in the TPS thread got huffy with me today because i wouldn't drop everything and reschedule other appointments to come on site and fix a minor issue. The issue? They have a laptop with a specific app that won't save to a network drive any more, says the drive doesn't exist or isn't connected. I ask for simple information the first day it happens (e.g. when did it start, is the user available to troubleshoot, is the laptop online by wired/wireless, etc.). The user having the issue left early, the laptop got shut down, and Mrs. Bitch won't give us the user's password even though she knows it. Going great so far! :geno:

Anyhow, I call a handful of times and email over the last couple days to try to get more information, no dice, no response. Call again today and wouldn't you know, Mrs. Bitch wants me to drive a half-hour one way to turn on a laptop and troubleshoot because she can't be bothered to power it on herself or ask the user to do it. After some back and forth I explain that no, I'm not neglecting my other clients for a simple issue, I've got other appointments scheduled, so we can either power it up and fix it remotely or she can wait another day until I maybe have time to schedule out. She finally relents, gets me in touch with the user who is frustrated but very pleasant and easy to work with, I connect and find out the laptop somehow auto-connected to their external wireless instead of internal. The wireless is obviously set up purposely so that external is separate from their internal network and has internet access only. I switch to their internal private connection, ping the server, get responses, find the mapping for the network drive and fix the problem in less than 20 minutes. User is happy, programs are working, I even made a batch file to map the network drive if it disconnects again.

Mrs. Bitch gets all uppity with me and my manager by email (whom I've been BCCing on every email to/from her) and we both shut her the gently caress down before she can even complain. We ask why she didn't respond for a day and a half, why it was so difficult to power on a laptop or find the user, the works. Her only reply was "someone should have come out to fix it because it was URGENT :byodame:" so I ask her why she didn't CALL when we explicitly have told her, numerous times, that phone calls take higher priority than emails. She claims she called, turned out she called my line ONCE, never left a voicemail, never called my cell or emailed after that, and never tried contacting my engineer partner. We call her on her bullshit, she stammers and gets flustered about the whole situation, we explain it could have been fixed 2 days ago if she followed protocol.

Her response? Send a long laundry list of items that we've worked on over the last couple months, all of which were fixed, but that she was unhappy about for some reason ("this took too long to do!" or "you didn't respond fast enough", the usual stupid poo poo). I'm pretty pissed and tired of her bullshit so I take her list, reply to EVERY point with the reasons why there were delays (mostly because we either couldn't get hold of someone, or Mrs. Bitch decided to withhold information we needed to do our job). Even went as far as pointing out stuff we've done out of good will, like delaying billing on parts/software to avoid going over budget or fixing problems Mrs. Bitch didn't even know about like servers not licensed properly, battery backups going bad, app database problems, the works.

We didn't hear anything back from her at all. The next 3 weeks can't get here fast enough, Mrs. Bitch will no longer be a client as of 9/18. I already got all the client paperwork done, just waiting on our network/server teams to make sure all our accounts are removed and new admin accounts for servers/switches are set up. Supposedly Mrs. Bitch wants to keep us on an hourly basis after the fact during the transition to their new IT provider, which we agreed to, but I already made it clear to my boss that if she cops an attitude after their contract ends, I'm not helping her. She gets bitchy? She gets hung up on or gets zero response and can gently caress herself. Once everything is handed over and she's off our plate, I have no obligation to be pleasant or helpful to her if she wants to be an uppity oval office, and I'm going to relish every moment because my manager agrees, this client should have been axed a LONG time ago.

Entropic posted:

I love reading the poo poo that fake tech support scammers leave on the desktop.

They're trying to get even craftier now - coworker of mine got a call from a "Dell support rep" about his laptop. Offered to remote assist until coworker asked what the model and asset tag of the laptop were. Scammer read off some BS numbers for the serial and the wrong model, coworker asked to get his contact information, scammer hung up abruptly. We already sent out a mass email to all our clients since we're a Dell partner and most of them have Dell laptops and desktops. So far, either nobody has been called, or they've told the scammer to go gently caress themselves, because we haven't heard anything about it since the warning was sent. :v:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 27, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Sounds like she's just trying to justify splitting with your company and complaining helps her sleep at night if the new company sucks. The msp I was at went through a similar split and after they decided to leave they were absolutely horrible to us to justify their decision to hire a single internal guy.

There's no way he succeeded but the owners remember us for the last month where they complained about every tiny thing and the internal guy must be better.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Entropic posted:

It makes a twisted sort of sense. They have a mark, and if he paid this time he might pay again a couple of months down the road when they call to give him a "tune up". They don't want other scammers to encroach on their turf, so they give him the tools to say " you're not legitimate, I've heard about this kind of thing! "

The cognitive dissonance will kick in because people don't like to admit that they're wrong, especially not $700 worth of wrong, and he'll defend these guys when someone tries to point out that it was actually a scam.

I sincerely hope you got this guy to call his credit card company and demand a charge back, so that their processor gets cut off.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Volmarias posted:

It makes a twisted sort of sense. They have a mark, and if he paid this time he might pay again a couple of months down the road when they call to give him a "tune up". They don't want other scammers to encroach on their turf, so they give him the tools to say " you're not legitimate, I've heard about this kind of thing! "

The cognitive dissonance will kick in because people don't like to admit that they're wrong, especially not $700 worth of wrong, and he'll defend these guys when someone tries to point out that it was actually a scam.

I sincerely hope you got this guy to call his credit card company and demand a charge back, so that their processor gets cut off.

Yeah, we told him to dispute the charges after convincing him it really was a scam.

"But they knew my name!"
Dude, you're in the phone book.
"They knew I used Kaspersky!"
Which they probably only mentioned after you let them start a TeamViewer session?
"They called me back and had all my details!"
After you gave them $250 the first time? Yeah no poo poo.

And this is exactly the sort of client that will probably complain that Kaspersky didn't protect him from this scam. Some people are just beyond help.

J
Jun 10, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

It'll be a glorious loving world for me. I'm speaking with the GM first thing in the morning. Wish me luck, goons :ohdear:

Good luck goon! :patriot:

Also for the love of god if they do give you a new title, or your own IT department.....negotiate a raise. Get money get paid.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

J posted:

Good luck goon! :patriot:

Also for the love of god if they do give you a new title, or your own IT department.....negotiate a raise. Get money get paid.

Still won't get bitches tho :sigh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Still won't get bitches tho :sigh:

He's married with a new kid and "getting bitches" would probably mean a war on a second front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds like she's just trying to justify splitting with your company and complaining helps her sleep at night if the new company sucks. The msp I was at went through a similar split and after they decided to leave they were absolutely horrible to us to justify their decision to hire a single internal guy.

There's no way he succeeded but the owners remember us for the last month where they complained about every tiny thing and the internal guy must be better.

No doubt this is what she's doing - I don't give a poo poo though, nor does my manager, partner, account rep, or the other 6 engineers she bitched to and about over the last 2 years. When someone's unhappy no matter what, there's 1 common denominator and its not us. I'd hate to see how she treats her husband and kids at home...legit shocked me that someone would not only marry that harpy banshee, but get their dick within 100 yards of her. Maybe he's a masochist, who knows.

• Locked thread