Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a fun easter egg, but I was hoping for something like a repeat of a scene (so that it doesn't affect the objective benchmark score) with the characters wearing chocobo suits or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Boten Anna posted:

The following dungeons don't unlock normally during the story:

Halatali (20-23)
The Sunken Temple of Qarn (35-37)
Cutter's Cry (38-40)
Dzmael Darkhold (44-46)
The Aurum Vale (47-49)

Of those, Halatali has grand company hunting log targets and will singlehandely give you more than half of those 2k seals you need for a chocobo, so it's not worth skipping, Qarn is required as part of one of the 2.1+ patch stories but it's great XP at that level so you should do it anyway, Cutter's Cry is way better xp and you'll start to hate Qarn if you do it too much so I don't recommend skipping that at all, I THINK it makes you do Dzmael Darkhold as part of the story you just don't unlock it through the story, and xping 47-50 loving sucks but Aurum Vale is one of the faster ways to get through it and also having a hilarious time watching people gently caress up on coincounter.

There's a dungeon for every level range and they're all worth doing at least once while current as you'll get at least a level's worth of XP out of them if your level is not synced down.

I also recommend chainrunning Brayflox and getting as much of the Battlemage/Calvary/Infantry set (as applicable) as possible, as this gear looks fly as h*ck and will last you until you get your job gear at 45.

I don't recall Dzemael Darkhold being required but Aurum Vale will be needed to get the last rank in your Grand Company.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't recall Dzemael Darkhold being required but Aurum Vale will be needed to get the last rank in your Grand Company.

DD is required for a GC promotion too.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

In the interest of pretty catgirl princess dress up, is there a site that shows what all the gear looks like ingame? I really want to see what all the left side stuff from the HW dungeons looks like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

CUL, notably, is a big exception on the interdependency front. It's pretty independent of the other crafters, material-wise.
It makes up for this by having anywhere for 2x to 4x the amount of mats needed.

Ask me about the battle of the egg that took place on the walnut fields where battalions of smooth butter soldiers died under the maple syrup rain to oil barrages and buffalo stampedes because I sat down and crafted 99 HQ La Noscean Toast's one day. Non stop.

And planned to do 99 Finger Sandwiches sometime after :suicide: (all the HQ mats got me a decent penny on the MB at least.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Can any of you fine Gentlegoons craft the Inferno Battleaxe? Hit me up ingame (Vas Eversoul), got a pile of gil rotting away and I feel like being on fire.

Empress Cheesepickle saw to my needs for an axe doused in petrol and set alight. :black101:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 26, 2015

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

In the interest of pretty catgirl princess dress up, is there a site that shows what all the gear looks like ingame? I really want to see what all the left side stuff from the HW dungeons looks like.

The Lodestone item database is a good bet - as is XIVDB. People post pictures to both of them of what various gear looks like. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/ and http://xivdb.com/

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Just made a trial account the day before yesterday I believe, and instantly got into Excalibur. Was kinda surprised because at release I never managed to get in, then when I bought a second account thing (on ps3) I never managed to get into Excalibur. Then about a year ago on ps4 I never managed to get on Excalibur, and I couldn't figure out my old account password and got this error message that was basically this account was hacked please contact square enix or some crazy poo poo, so I just rebought the game on a different psn name . Queue me coming back and not remembering the account name and just saying gently caress it and starting a trial account

I've bought this game way too many times and I'm gonna probably end up buying it again. gently caress. At least its fun.

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 27, 2015

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Cleared A4S again tonight, got the AST Globe. It's a signnnnnnnnn.

Also the Gobwalker dropped again - 3/3 kills so far each with a Gobwalker, so I'm gonna assume it's 100% drop rate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I finally got around to make myself the level 60 (non red scrip) crafting/gathering gear. I don't really plan on loving around with the scrip gear too much (other than that mutha fukkin fisher gear), does anyone have the list of preferred melds for gear?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well I got ACT installed, followed the directions from that reddit page and while the overlay works in game. No data is actually parsed. Tried clearing encounters, reinstalling, letting the app through my firewall. All that.

Guess I'll continue to live in ignorance of my lovely dps :effort:

Should have known, run it as an administrator :downs:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 27, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well I got ACT installed, followed the directions from that reddit page and while the overlay works in game. No data is actually parsed. Tried clearing encounters, reinstalling, letting the app through my firewall. All that.

Guess I'll continue to live in ignorance of my lovely dps :effort:

Disable parsing from network data

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eerkik posted:

Just made a trial account the day before yesterday I believe, and instantly got into Excalibur. Was kinda surprised because at release I never managed to get in, then when I bought a second account thing (on ps3) I never managed to get into Excalibur. Then about a year ago on ps4 I never managed to get on Excalibur, and I couldn't figure out my old account password and got this error message that was basically this account was hacked please contact square enix or some crazy poo poo, so I just rebought the game on a different psn name . Queue me coming back and not remembering the account name and just saying gently caress it and starting a trial account

I've bought this game way too many times and I'm gonna probably end up buying it again. gently caress. At least its fun.

If you haven't already done so, get an authenticator (physical or free phone app - Bluestacks is an option if you don't have a suitable phone) and stick it on your account. Helps with account security, both in terms of actually not getting hacked, as well as SE not being all "OMG YOU LOGGED IN FROM A NEW IP ADDRESS CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD", which can be an issue with some ISPs.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Jia posted:

Disable parsing from network data

you might as well not run ACT at all if you do this, as most of its functionality does not properly work without network

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
ACT followup after a roulette: I'm better at this game than I thought :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 27, 2015

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Vil posted:

If you haven't already done so, get an authenticator (physical or free phone app - Bluestacks is an option if you don't have a suitable phone) and stick it on your account. Helps with account security, both in terms of actually not getting hacked, as well as SE not being all "OMG YOU LOGGED IN FROM A NEW IP ADDRESS CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD", which can be an issue with some ISPs.

I just went to do this, but I have to wait til I actually buy the game (again). Payday's in a few days so I'll set it up then. Thanks for the advice though, I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my original account but I'm not sure.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

ACT followup after a roulette: I'm better at this game than I thought :stare:

Haha, I had much the same experience. Then i did some stuff with some PBC dudes and got my rear end handed to me numbers-wise. Oh well.

ALSO

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 27, 2015

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
I want to take a quick moment to say thank you for all of the really awesome feedback in regards to my earlier questions. I think, based off of what you've shared with me, I'm going to push through some of these story quests until I've unlocked the grand companies and a chocobo (I'm only about two, maybe three, story missions away?) and then I'm going to go back and push up Gladiator to around 25 before maybe switching back. That way I don't shoot myself in the foot with the progress I've already made and I can also grab some of the abilities needed to push Warrior up further.

I am curious: all jobs have at least one evolution of their job; some have two. Is there ever a time I'll go, for example, "Yeah I think today I want to be a Marauder instead of a Warrior?"

And I know you can buy gear from the grand companies using their super special currency; does each company have it's own unique gear? Or should I just join whichever?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

i enjoyed seeing this guy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sethimothy posted:

I am curious: all jobs have at least one evolution of their job; some have two. Is there ever a time I'll go, for example, "Yeah I think today I want to be a Marauder instead of a Warrior?"

And I know you can buy gear from the grand companies using their super special currency; does each company have it's own unique gear? Or should I just join whichever?

Only Arcanist has two jobs, and no, Warrior is a permanent replacement for Marauder.

The GCs have unique gear looks, yes. It is just aesthetics, though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I need one of these to go with my wind up succubus

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

kirbysuperstar posted:

The GCs have unique gear looks, yes. It is just aesthetics, though.

Which one of the three has the most pants and the fewest subligars?

In seriousness, is there a quick place to find an overview of what their gearsets look like, or is this another Lodestone search kind of thing?

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 27, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sethimothy posted:

Which one of the three has the most pants and the fewest subligars?

In seriousness, is there a quick place to find an overview of what their gearsets look like, or is this another Lodestone search kind of thing?

Uhhh..Maelstrom or Adders, depending on your preference of coats to hessian sacks. The Hunter-Scholars in each region wear the Allied Seal sets, so that's a good way to see those (save for Google searching Flame/Serpent/Storm Elite set). Dunno about seeing the levelling sets though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Another Lodestone search kinda thing. That said, aside from the Allied Seal gear (which has some popularity for glamours), people generally don't care about grand company gear too much. The weapons can occasionally be useful when leveling, but the armor is pretty much ignored, even for glamours. (It's mostly a holdover from 1.0.)

My advice is to pick your GC based on whichever one you like thematically or whichever leader you like best. You can always change later (after getting to max rank) if you change your mind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sethimothy posted:

Nope. The wider cross-class skill selection is not worth losing your job abilities and the stat bonus for equipping the soul gem.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ilifinicus posted:

you might as well not run ACT at all if you do this, as most of its functionality does not properly work without network

I have never encountered another person I interact with that has been able to run ACT without checking "disable network parsing", myself included. :shrug:

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Add an exception to your firewall for ACT. Without network parsing ACT is far less accurate.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zereth posted:

Nope. The wider cross-class skill selection is not worth losing your job abilities and the stat bonus for equipping the soul gem.

One exception is if you're running a 24 man and really want to annoy the piss out of the other parties with Provoke spam from your team.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

armoredgorilla posted:

One exception is if you're running a 24 man and really want to annoy the piss out of the other parties with Provoke spam from your team.

Bonus points is if it's the Bone Dragon and you're keeping it planted in the middle of the arena.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

Okay it is not worth it mechanically, but might be for some weird gimmick.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did the liveletter mention anything about the people still salty about minuet/gauss? I'm curious.

v: I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked a question. I will just google it.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 27, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Volt Catfish posted:

Did the liveletter mention anything about the people still salty about minuet/gauss? I'm curious.

minuet and gauss is fine after they changed it to a stance

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how exactly does Battle High work? Is it only applied if you're the one that deals the killing blow? Because I seem to basically only see it on Summoners (presumably because of Deathflare) and Warriors (i have no idea why).

I'm also really starting to like PvP, I may level something to 60 just for that. Not sure what class yet, although Summoners seem to be a giant pain in the rear end.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

I take it you're one of the salty ones?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

WobblySausage posted:

Ah makes sense. Garuda seemed to be hardest for the tanks. I'm probably done with Titan for a little bit (at least 3 hours on it with no clear yet). I'll have to try to get into a premade sometime in the future to get it done.

A group in my FC was going to do an unsynced Titan Ex run with 7 people, but the leader forgot to actually check unsynced. It took them several tries, but they eventually got that lucky random his clear.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Volt Catfish posted:

What exactly are you expecting them to do? Completely revamp the mechanic because the playstyle isn't to some peoples tastes? Because that's not likely.

They'll take steps to make sure it's as effective at it's intended role as it should be. Have, I should say.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I just did my first group content since I started playing again (playing marauder, level 14 now right now) and holy poo poo that was kinda embarrassing. The first guildhest is easy as gently caress but I sat around for a good while trying to spam overpower with out it working, thinking I was getting really bad lag and it wouldn't input. Apparently since the hest is level 10 I can't use my only aoe? Keeping aggro on multiple enemies feels impossible with out some sort of aoe, but maybe I'm just worrying about nothing because its literally only going to be the first few in the game that I don't have access to overpower with and it ended up fine (though I couldn't really hold threat)

Tab targeting against a group of 3+ with the 1,2 combo just doesn't work as a tank

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Eerkik posted:

I just did my first group content since I started playing again (playing marauder, level 14 now right now) and holy poo poo that was kinda embarrassing. The first guildhest is easy as gently caress but I sat around for a good while trying to spam overpower with out it working, thinking I was getting really bad lag and it wouldn't input. Apparently since the hest is level 10 I can't use my only aoe? Keeping aggro on multiple enemies feels impossible with out some sort of aoe, but maybe I'm just worrying about nothing because its literally only going to be the first few in the game that I don't have access to overpower with and it ended up fine (though I couldn't really hold threat)

Tab targeting against a group of 3+ with the 1,2 combo just doesn't work as a tank

This is a result of the game's single weirdest patch change: at some point, they decided that Guildhests were too easy, so they lowered their max level by one :wtc:

As a result, Warrior lacks any (natural) aoe for the first 2!

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 27, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Still get Flash, though. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Niton posted:

This is a result of the game's single weirdest patch change: at some point, they decided that Guildhests were too easy, so they lowered their max level by one :wtc:

As a result, Warrior lacks any aoe for the first 2!

I mean, I don't know if they made it harder but they definitely made it feel impossible to tank, considering the first one is literally about group fights

I should just go through the next one and get it over with but drat do I feel like an rear end in a top hat chasing poo poo around

• Locked thread