Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poo poo pissing me off : TWC

Yet again my Internet dies, this time while i am working remote.

gently caress TWC FOREVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Baxta posted:

You want me to design a program to do recursion all over the place? I can sort it out. Grumpily but itll be done. Linked lists for everything? Alright. Binary searches? WTF Why? But ok.

Any other decently high level programming task? I'll get it sorted.

Nice looking website? For some reason I just can't do it. I've tried a million times. Everything is functional but it looks like poo poo. I just don't have the apititude.

Code design and actual artistic design are completely different jobs for a very good reason. Some people can do both, but I am not one of them.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Code design and actual artistic design are completely different jobs for a very good reason. Some people can do both, but I am not one of them.

I imagine that most people have absolutely no interest in doing both, especially if the two categories are that disparate. That goes for me as well - I'll present you all the data you want, give you all the hooks you want to modify it, with nice descriptive method and variable names. But if you want it to look pretty, hire someone to make it look pretty.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Che Delilas posted:

I imagine that most people have absolutely no interest in doing both, especially if the two categories are that disparate. That goes for me as well - I'll present you all the data you want, give you all the hooks you want to modify it, with nice descriptive method and variable names. But if you want it to look pretty, hire someone to make it look pretty.

Gonna say that once the artist has finished using the hooks etc, it should get punted back to you to fix all the poo poo they failed to implement properly, then back to them one more time to make sure you didn't break the looks too badly.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Che Delilas posted:

I'd actually like to be able to make pretty websites. I have cool ideas but they just look like poo poo when I implement them. Theres something missing in my brain I think.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Baxta posted:

I'd actually like to be able to make pretty websites. I have cool ideas but they just look like poo poo when I implement them. Theres something missing in my brain I think.

Likewise. Can we get a support group going for people who can write scripts and can even code great backend/CLI-based poo poo but can't write a web-based GUI for worth a drat and would like to but just can't get it to click?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Oh I can code the GUI, but gently caress if it's going to look nice. I do not posses the requisite creative talents. Luckily I have friends who are good at exactly that though.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Not pissing me off: Fellow Goon Casull helping me put together 5 lines of PowerShell that works better than the 50 lines of crap I boiled up in WSH.

I owe you a beer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have two applications that come with relatively large database backends. I'm planning to migrate these applications from one set of servers to another in a different datacenter. Copying a full database backup between these takes well over 24 hours.

To reduce downtime during the migration I've set up transaction log shipping from the old SQL2005 database to the new SQL2014 instance, but because of the version difference the new server has to keep the database in NoRecovery mode until I'm ready to move the application.

Once you recover the database it gets upgraded to SQL2014 level and can't receive logs from SQL2005 any more. This is irreversible without doing full database copy again.

We have HP managing our servers, including the database servers.

I'm not happy with HP considering databases being in NoRecovery mode to be an issue and "resolved" it without checking with the responsible IT team (me). :mad:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Baxta posted:

Nice looking website? For some reason I just can't do it. I've tried a million times. Everything is functional but it looks like poo poo. I just don't have the apititude.

Honestly, you don't need any sort of design aptitude to make a minimally decent site. There are design patterns just like there are coding patterns; it's just a question of learning a couple of them and slapping them together in a fairly sane way. The trick is not confusing "graphics design" with "user experience"-- you don't have to throw in partially-transparent cut-out pngs with backscrolling jquery gradients, or eschew static table tags in favor of dynamic pop-out fade-in elements, but you better not be making those inactive radio buttons look identical to the active ones, or only allowing the submission button to be active when your last form element loses focus.

I've always been of the opinion that form should follow function, but having a client application that looks like someone installed 30 spyware toolbars into a web browser is not what I'd consider "functional". So yeah, knowing some minimal amount of UX is pretty important for just about every coder, especially since some aspects of it apply to literally anything that has a consumer, even if it's via CLI or API.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

RFC2324 posted:

Gonna say that once the artist has finished using the hooks etc, it should get punted back to you to fix all the poo poo they failed to implement properly, then back to them one more time to make sure you didn't break the looks too badly.

This. Every time a designer makes a form they never consider how it should look when there are errors in the form or even what happens when the form is submitted.

It looks like garbage with error messages? Too bad - you never considered that, you get the default style for error messages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love how I can't get the approval to buy someone a $1,000 laptop, which would replace their $600 desktop, so they can work from outside the office.

Meanwhile, 12 'managers' have laptops at home that they use about 2 times a year to remote into their desktop computers from home. I've seen the logs. Also their kids play on the laptops and gently caress them up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo pissing me off : TWC

Yet again my Internet dies, this time while i am working remote.

gently caress TWC FOREVER

I work remotely 100%.

I read your post, and thought "It would be nice if I had my once-a-quarter-or-so major power/internet outage and had a day off."

Power went out five seconds later.

Fuckin' weird, but eh, I'll take it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
gently caress you, AT&T.

Your 911 support is a joke. No E-911 compatibility (in fact, leaving E-911 on will break 911 calls). Just set your caller ID up to the number with an address AT&T attached to it and you'll take care of the rest, right? Right?

I must have confirmed the number/address pairings with AT&T four times. Everything looks ok. Users call, the right number hits the wrong 911 dispatch, with no address info.

Tickets opened, calls made, e-mails sent. No response. For a 911 issue.

Dispatchers are pissed. Staff is pissed. Execs are pissed. AT&T just sits there like :effort:.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Or they will trick someone into accepting the job and that person will realize how much it sucks and promptly get hired somewhere else with 3 months. Or they get an extremely untalented lazy sysadmin who doesnt give a poo poo and will just keep the lights running while he collects a paycheck.

The worst part, without the helpdesk BS - that is, when I was hired, we had a fulltime guy - the stupid little things all added up weren't as bad as all the good things added up. Oh well, not my problem after tomorrow.

But that's tomorrow! Pissing me off today:

Boss: "Can you plug in the phones and test them out so we can see how they work?"
Me: "Anything specific?"
Boss: "No, just the basic functionality."

Later...
Me: "I have three phones up, can you come take a look so we can return them to their boxes?
Boss: "Sure."
Me: "So here, you just double-click their name in the client like so..."
Boss: "What about click-to-dial?"
Me: "I just did that."
Boss: "No, it's supposed to let you dial phone numbers by clicking them in the browser."
Me: "There's no option for that, at least not in this client. Was %newphonevendor% made aware that we needed that available?"
Boss: "Yes, get back with them and see what's up with it."

Thanks for telling me what you wanted demo'd so I could test it before telling you it was ready!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i love it when people play 'hide the real objective' because hey we bill hourly take your time and keep hinting around what you really want to know!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MJP posted:

Thanks for telling me what you wanted demo'd so I could test it before telling you it was ready!

Just makes me wonder how many months/years he's going to blame you after you leave for things not working properly. "Yeah, I know the phones don't work, MJP was working on them but he hosed something up with them before he left."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress you, AT&T.

Your 911 support is a joke. No E-911 compatibility (in fact, leaving E-911 on will break 911 calls). Just set your caller ID up to the number with an address AT&T attached to it and you'll take care of the rest, right? Right?

I must have confirmed the number/address pairings with AT&T four times. Everything looks ok. Users call, the right number hits the wrong 911 dispatch, with no address info.

Dispatchers are pissed. Staff is pissed. Execs are pissed. AT&T just sits there like :effort:.

I'm glad I got out of 911 dispatching before cell phones went crazy. Getting accurate ANI/ALI on landlines was enough of a mess. Cellphone callers would get automatically routed to Highway Patrol who then had to figure out where to send them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

Just makes me wonder how many months/years he's going to blame you after you leave for things not working properly. "Yeah, I know the phones don't work, MJP was working on them but he hosed something up with them before he left."

I've documented tons of stuff, long before things went south here. I fully expect that even though my boss and I had a good relationship, there'll be some "MJP did this nitpick thing maybe once ever, how dare he not document it" mostly because my boss had me gather undocumented poo poo that our expensive consultants should have documented in order for me to perform task X, solve problem Y, etc.

My objective has been that someone who knows what they're doing, or at least has experience, could pick up the baton if a meteor crashed through the window and took me out. What he's having me do is document stuff that a college senior majoring in bioinformatics can do the same tasks as I did.

There's that, and then there's documentation for an experienced professional.

This is "you get what you pay for" in action and I fully expect that the college kid, who is a smart guy that's gonna do well down the road, is going to have a bumpy road of learning our poo poo ahead of him.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress you, AT&T.

Wait until they get sued a few times because someone died because their poo poo wasn't right. I do know TWC was loving adamant on 911 issues. You fix that poo poo NOW. I loving hated doing 911 tickets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait how are any of those phrases offensive.

Did some research! This is why:

Dear Ann Landers: What ever happened to just plain goodbye? It used to be a perfectly good word-a contraction of "God be with ye"-but for reasons unknown, goodbye has fallen out of favor. Hardly anybody says it anymore. In its place, you get that canned, pre-packaged exit line "Have a nice day."

This meaningless, hackneyed phrase is heard everywhere-even in the supermarket. You are in the checkout line, entertaining yourself with tabloid headlines about the 79-year-old woman who gave birth to a litter of wolves, and the checker rings up your purchase, hits you with a total equal to the national debt and says, "Have a nice day." A more imaginative clerk might say, "Have a good one," which could be interpreted, "Have a good roll in the sack."

Is there an appropriate response to that timeworn line? Most common is the feeble, "You too." A friend of mine who finds it irritating replies, "I have other plans."

Evanston

Dear Ev.: I have no idea where "Have a nice day" originated, but it seems to be a harmless, albeit unimaginative, substitute for "goodbye."

If there is an appropriate response, I don't know of it. I polled the women in my office, and they suggested, "Thanks. You too." I was going to tell you to "have a nice day," but I think I'll skip it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
As much as I actually enjoy digging into the etymology of word play the only proper response to someone like that is "Shut the gently caress up."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Twc telecom business internet just took a giant poo poo on the Midwest. Rip

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Twc telecom business internet just took a giant poo poo on the Midwest. Rip

Interesting - got a link? Our main line of business application, which I was about to post about pissing me off by going down, is out of Cary, NC - could be affecting them, perhaps.

Anyway, if you tell me to open a ticket because our main line of business application is down and don't have anything specific to add, don't tell me that the way I worded it makes it sound like it's on our side. Guys and gals, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I sent:

quote:

Our VDI users originating from our cloud facility's hosting (173.xxx.xxx.xxx through .xxx..yyy) are reporting extreme slowness or outright failure to load %application%. Additionally, we are getting errors that %otherunrelatedapplication% cannot SFTP to you at qqq.qqq.qqq.qqq.

Did you guys just make a change to your networking in the last 15-20 minutes? We can get into %application% just fine from desktops that aren't part of our VDI.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://downdetector.com/status/level3/map/

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
good stuff twc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:yotj: I'm the new senior embedded engineer at a company in west Michigan! Since the company is growing at a crazy rate, I will be the one in charge of building the new engineering department from the ground up! In 3 weeks the beer is on me!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 27, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: I'm the new senior embedded engineer at a company west Michigan! Since the company is growing at a crazy rate, i will be the one in charge of building the new engineering department from the ground up! In 3 weeks the beer is on me!

:yotj:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

How ironic! I attempt to access the site, and get "Website is offline"!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm glad I got out of 911 dispatching before cell phones went crazy. Getting accurate ANI/ALI on landlines was enough of a mess. Cellphone callers would get automatically routed to Highway Patrol who then had to figure out where to send them.

I support 5 EMS dispatch centres. When we get an EmergencyIncoming we fire off a request to a national database with the phone number and get the position of the cell tower that call is connected through as well as the subscriber info on that number. It's not perfect and a lot of telcos loving suck at keeping their records updated, but we at least roughly know where people are and routing to the wrong dispatch is quite rare. Then again, Norway has a grand total of 19 EMS dispatches as opposed to the thousands of 911 reciever locations in the US. :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Caconym posted:

I support 5 EMS dispatch centres. When we get an EmergencyIncoming we fire off a request to a national database with the phone number and get the position of the cell tower that call is connected through as well as the subscriber info on that number. It's not perfect and a lot of telcos loving suck at keeping their records updated, but we at least roughly know where people are and routing to the wrong dispatch is quite rare. Then again, Norway has a grand total of 19 EMS dispatches as opposed to the thousands of 911 reciever locations in the US. :v:

At one point (around 1995) we had to literally drive out and survey parts of our jurisdiction that were having ANI/ALI issues and make test calls from homes. There were a couple of trailer parks that generated plenty of calls and the info from them was frequently wrong. So on a nice hot summer day I went out to one with my supervisor and we got to knock on alot of doors and freak out the stereotypically cop-hostile populace.

You definitely stay on your toes while you're in a trailer making a test call with the angry tenant standing there, and a .45 in plain view on top of his TV, cocked. :clint:

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

:yotj: I'm the new senior embedded engineer at a company in west Michigan! Since the company is growing at a crazy rate, I will be the one in charge of building the new engineering department from the ground up! In 3 weeks the beer is on me!

Got any openings for a network engineer?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

It really irks me when people abuse RAID controller's partitioning/slicing.

It was specifically intended for people using old OSes that have the 2 TB limit and usually that's people running specialized appliance OSes.
But people treat it like file system partitioning and create so many slices of the RAID it causes problems.

Think about a 15TB 10 disk RAID setup, and are setup so there are 5 RAID 5s, each taking up the subsequent 3 TBs of the drive.
At least when the OS attempts to read the 2 paritions at the same time, it's not realy an issue. But when it tries to read 2 RAIDs at the same time that are also needing the same disk...well, reading one RAID delays the other RAID from being read which leads to delays and timeouts. Which can actually cause the controller to think there's a problem with that drive and force it offline.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If there's one thing I've learned in my years as a sysadmin it's that people who should know better still suck at deploying/managing RAID storage systems.

"Sure we'll run a single RAID5 across all 14 drives in the enclosure, that's great!"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AS/400 'expert' old guy can't figure out why one of the webservers won't fire up. IBM Websphere (basically some IBM-hosed Apache install). The only thing running on that server is some stupid credit card processing software that we use internally.

:downs: Zend server 6 won't start up
:geno: Oh yea? Why not?
:downs: I don't know. I tried restarting it it doesn't work.
(I could hear him hammering on the keyboard for 10 minutes)
:geno: Okay, lets look at the logs. SSL error. Started at 2:30 when the service restarted
:downs: 2:30?
:geno: Yea you know 2:30 in the morning when you always restart poo poo? What'd you change yesterday?
:downs: What did I change? Uhhhh
:geno: Okay, let's look at the security certificate
:downs: oh yea security (he always calls https 'security')
:geno: Look at this. The self-signed certificate you created when you installed the credit card software expired yesterday
:downs: okay so what do we do
:geno: get the docs out and generate a new one
:downs: the other sites are up
:geno: yea we have real certificates from go-daddy for like 3 years. Why the gently caress are you still standing here go fix it!

1 hour later, no new certificate yet. Not sure if he can't generate a new one, replace the old one...hoping he fucks the whole configuration up in a way. Maybe if we can't run credit cards for the whole day people will start asking why. I could fix it in 5 minutes but I'm not the AS/400 guy and it's not super-essential as long as we can bill orders at the end of the day. Going to make him sweat until at least lunch.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 'expert' old guy can't figure out why one of the webservers won't fire up. IBM Websphere (basically some IBM-hosed Apache install). The only thing running on that server is some stupid credit card processing software that we use internally.

:downs: Zend server 6 won't start up
:geno: Oh yea? Why not?
:downs: I don't know. I tried restarting it it doesn't work.
(I could hear him hammering on the keyboard for 10 minutes)
:geno: Okay, lets look at the logs. SSL error. Started at 2:30 when the service restarted
:downs: 2:30?
:geno: Yea you know 2:30 in the morning when you always restart poo poo? What'd you change yesterday?
:downs: What did I change? Uhhhh
:geno: Okay, let's look at the security certificate
:downs: oh yea security (he always calls https 'security')
:geno: Look at this. The self-signed certificate you created when you installed the credit card software expired yesterday
:downs: okay so what do we do
:geno: get the docs out and generate a new one
:downs: the other sites are up
:geno: yea we have real certificates from go-daddy for like 3 years. Why the gently caress are you still standing here go fix it!

1 hour later, no new certificate yet. Not sure if he can't generate a new one, replace the old one...hoping he fucks the whole configuration up in a way. Maybe if we can't run credit cards for the whole day people will start asking why. I could fix it in 5 minutes but I'm not the AS/400 guy and it's not super-essential as long as we can bill orders at the end of the day. Going to make him sweat until at least lunch.

Actually reading logs and error messages qualifies you as a wizard, I'm pretty sure.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Actually reading logs and error messages qualifies you as a wizard, I'm pretty sure.

:science:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ahh he got it working in an hour and a half. Now he's telling people how he saved the day :lol:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

If there's one thing I've learned in my years as a sysadmin it's that people who should know better still suck at deploying/managing RAID storage systems.

"Sure we'll run a single RAID5 across all 14 drives in the enclosure, that's great!"

No kidding. Seen so many RAID failures from people not monitoring their poo poo in that setup.

I mean, make the OS a RAID 1, and make some of the data storage drives a RAID 5,6, or 10. For a basic setup. Further partitioning need would be done in the OS.

On a related note: I had a friend have someone get mad at him because the they wanted a RAID setup that had redundancy and still be able to use 100% of the storage space....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CptJackLaser posted:

Got any openings for a network engineer?

We will need a backend developer, which once I understand everything better I will try to recruit goons.
The CEO is a CCIE and knows his stuff pretty well.