Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Aschlafly posted:

(BIG-rear end POST GOES HERE)

Mandatory: Whatever else you do, always raid Rome, always capture the Pope, and always ask him "where is your Blessed Virgin now?" as the hangman readies his rope.
Holy poo poo, thank you. I'm in the middle of Viking it up right now so I'm gonna have to go raid the pope.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if any starting rulers come with the dwarfism trait? I'm idly doing ironman now and then for Steam achievements and I was curious about that. All permutations of "start," "dwarf," "ruler," and the game title just got me lists of traits and the like on Google.

EDIT: I can't get a court dwarf :argh: Everyone in the world is either harelipped or hunchbacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tendai posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you. I'm in the middle of Viking it up right now so I'm gonna have to go raid the pope.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if any starting rulers come with the dwarfism trait? I'm idly doing ironman now and then for Steam achievements and I was curious about that. All permutations of "start," "dwarf," "ruler," and the game title just got me lists of traits and the like on Google.

EDIT: I can't get a court dwarf :argh: Everyone in the world is either harelipped or hunchbacked.

You could just use the character finder. Start a game as any ruler, type "dwarf" in the character finder and select the "is ruler" criterion, look who's starting as a dwarf.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Easiest way is probably to try to breed dwarfism into a merchant republic family. Search for lowborn dwarfs to marry into the family whenever a male member of the family is unmarried until you get a male dwarf of your dynasty, make them the heir, and when you become them, choose the seduction focus and constantly get the wives of all your male family members pregnant.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

You could just use the character finder. Start a game as any ruler, type "dwarf" in the character finder and select the "is ruler" criterion, look who's starting as a dwarf.
Wait, what? Congenital traits show up in the character finder? I had absolutely no idea.

Well poo poo, that made it easier to find a court dwarf and eunuch.

EDIT: Scored a eunuch, then looked at his family and it looks like the Byzantines basically blinded/castrated them all, women and children included :stare: No wonder I didn't have to bribe him to leave.

EDIT THE SECOND: I found one playable dwarf character just using the game-set start dates. Hasan, High Chief of Tabriz in 1337. Gonna have to challenge myself to be the dwarf emperor of Persia :black101:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2015

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Otto is 9 years old and is the queen's nephew.

Some interesting things happening with 3 shades of Poland, Italy and the Dutch "Empire" as well.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 25, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

simonwolf posted:

Has anyone ever actually seen the Shia win in recent builds? I get the notification all the time but I don't think I've ever seen them successfully break away.

I'm tempted to just console it in, next time.
They've changed the way the Shia spawn their armies. In the past, the Shia could overwhelm with sheer numbers, but now they're set to spawn with always fewer troops then the guys they're invading. It's based on the invadee's current levies, so even if the invadee has been devastated in a war, the Shia will still be weaker.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aschlafly posted:

For quick "go big or go home" gameplay, there's no beating Haesteinn of Nantes (867 start). You are a one-province Norse Germanic count in Brittany. However, unlike most Germanic rulers, you start out feudal, have free reinforcing event troops and a free fleet (excellent for raiding), and have enough prestige to Prepare Invasion against anyone you want. You have an excellent Martial score, the Viking and Quick traits, a son to carry on your line, and tech progress that isn't totally lovely.
Huh, I think they must have changed this or something. Definitely gavelkind with no option to change :mad: Who ever thought that was a good system anyhow.

EDIT wait I'm dumb I was reading "primogeniture" when you said "feudal"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God drat it, I tried to make some independent gently caress in the middle of France a tributary, and then when I made it to like, 80% I keeled over and died. Ok, my guy was old, that's disappointing but not horribly unexpected. Then after I had some time to regroup as my new guy, did some stuff, and tried again, and at around 78% I keeled over and died at like, 43.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

catlord posted:

God drat it, I tried to make some independent gently caress in the middle of France a tributary, and then when I made it to like, 80% I keeled over and died. Ok, my guy was old, that's disappointing but not horribly unexpected. Then after I had some time to regroup as my new guy, did some stuff, and tried again, and at around 78% I keeled over and died at like, 43.

I think that Independant guy may be a wizard. You should leave him alone.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Tendai posted:

Huh, I think they must have changed this or something. Definitely gavelkind with no option to change :mad: Who ever thought that was a good system anyhow.

EDIT wait I'm dumb I was reading "primogeniture" when you said "feudal"

If you wanna game the system, convert to Breton culture and you'll have access to Tanistry, too (even as unreformed pagan). You'll get access to the Knight retinue, and since you didn't convert to Norman, courtiers and vassals you spawn will have the nice Celtic portraits instead of the weird deformed vanilla ones (still not as cool as the Norse portraits, but better than nothing).

If you'd like to stay Norse in the long run, just convert after your desired heir comes of age.

edit: note that if you are planning to declare any wars after your planned invasion succeeds, you should do so and raise your levies immediately (i.e., as soon as the surrender screen appears), or else the "new administration" levy penalty will kick in and you'll have poo poo for troops all of a sudden. The same applies if you are expecting anyone to declare war on you, for example because you're an infidel.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't really played since Horse Lords came out, and found that my archers are now complete crap. I know there were some changes to the way troops worked, but I haven't dug through the files yet. Has anyone compiled a full list of the new troop stats?

Also, is there any way to convert into a Nomadic government form? I haven't conquered any steppe land yet, but was wondering if I could give it to my heir in order to make him a nomad.

Also also, tributaries are OP as poo poo, and awesome for gaining tons of prestige and gold.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Also also, tributaries are OP as poo poo, and awesome for gaining tons of prestige and gold.

You wanna explain why? I'm missing it.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Yeah it actually makes starting tribal not that bad. Get yourself to 500 prestige, raise a tribal army, and then steamroll everyone. I have had almost the entire British Isles as my tributaries playing as an Earl with one county. The key is to declare the next war before accepting peace on the previous one so that army does not despawn.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking I'll get bored with this game and then something totally new happens that makes me fall in love again. I hadn't played the last start date and then I started a game there last night as Brittany.

So THAT'S what the Sunset Invasion DLC does.

I am now the Aztec king of France.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

You wanna explain why? I'm missing it.

Groogy will probably change it, but this is what you get right now:

• 200 prestige and 40% of income from the target
  • They join in on all your wars
  • All your tribal/nomadic vassals get 5 years of +20 opinion (stacking) This is what really makes it go from nice to holy gently caress OP.
  • This lasts until you or they die

Once you get a couple of them going, you can just sit back and watch the swarm conquer everything. When you're playing a tribe, the extra money helps immensely for creating titles. You can stay relatively small but punch way above your weight. Obviously works best if you start with a young ruler, but all you really need are the first couple to then keep everyone around you perma-tributaries. Oh, and they are more likely to accept diplo-vassalization if they are a tributary, so you can then add them to the fold if you want.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dirty old men, as someone mentioned previously in this thread (I've read a bit at the front and more at the end and I don't remember where), one of my dukes has been tearing his way through pretty much the entire realm, including two of my (married) sisters. I'm pretty sure that 80% of those kids are legitimized bastards.

I've now had that "you caught so and so loving so and so in the hallway!" event pop, solely for him, four times in the past 5 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SeaTard posted:

I haven't really played since Horse Lords came out, and found that my archers are now complete crap. I know there were some changes to the way troops worked, but I haven't dug through the files yet. Has anyone compiled a full list of the new troop stats?

Short version: Archers used to kick rear end in the skirmish phase, but their Skirmish Attack score was lowered from 5 to 2. Also they were made more expensive. Also siege calculations used to depend on Skirmish but now depend on Melee so archers are useless for sieges now.

As for Seduction, I've had enough and am going to try to figure out how to (directly or indirectly) mod it out of the game. The novelty and lulz value has long since worn off and it's just an incessant nuisance now.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

As for Seduction, I've had enough and am going to try to figure out how to (directly or indirectly) mod it out of the game. The novelty and lulz value has long since worn off and it's just an incessant nuisance now.

I'd guess an easy way would be turning the conditions for choosing the focus into some impossible "if(false)" sort of things.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever used seduction in a panic when I needed an heir, seems a bit silly to choose that otherwise when you can get the other intrigue bonus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every big mod fixes it and there are a bunch of tiny ones that change it specifically.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Has anyone seen this mod yet? :stare:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505286584

It's called Harem Kings. I'll let the description speak for itself.

quote:

Such a powerful ruler as yourself - deserve a little extra company!

* Features
* Requirements
* Installation
* Recommendations

Removing restrictions and adding some fun -
This mod aims to bring Harem Love to the Medieval Era!

Main features:
Create a new religion where you can have up to 28 wives at ones.
Hold Tributes to promote your new Harem religion and spread the love.
No family marriage restrictions (except for underage children of course).
Much easier to negotiate marriage with people from other religions.
Seduce who you want -
Seduce all family members (same sex romance still require the homosexual trait).
Seduce your prisoners so they'll never want to leave.
Seduce as many as you want at the same time (who says men can't multitask?).
Reduced AI seducing (basically gone) - there can be only one master of seduction!
Unfaithfulness discovery chance tried removed - have both wives AND lovers!

To ensure your new beautiful religion won't be entirely outmatched three Holy Orders stand ready:
The Otaku Wizards - Insanely devoted. Became wizards at the virgin age of 30...
The Maids-Sama - Some say a skimpy cottom dress and a revealing apron is poor armour... luckily for them I haven't made any skins.
The Fangirls - I'm sure women will flock to your banners when you make a religion where only men can have harems with obedient girls that can't internally fight... pretty sure...

Seperate version - More Wives and Concubines

Allows for multiple wives/concubines for all people of all religions. May result in an abundace of AI children.

Requirements:

- Way of Life, for seduction.
- Sword of Islam, for polygamy.

Installation:

Click subscribe (yeah, you know this by now).
Now all you need to do is 'check' the box besides "Harem Kings" when starting the game.

This mod does not play nice with other mods, which have edited the 00.religions or way_of_life_decisions files:
This includes gutenmod - though most features from this mod are present here as well.

Recommendations:
Slvrbuu's CKII Cheat Menu - Many wives equals many problems, this can take care of most.
Underhanded Tactics - Torture, ♥♥♥♥ and adultery - I support this mod to the bitter end!!!!!!!!!
AND OF COURSE some real adult mods:
DarkWorld by dewguru - full of brilliant goodies and great female focus.
AB mod by Gurges - offering more naughty related events and torture as well.

Mod originally inspired by:
Gutenmod by GutenTag - the ability to remove silly restrictions.
Godless Kings by Malafein - for religion making and general build.

FAQ:
Q How do you start the new religion?
A. In intrigue tab there should be a option to become Harem Lover, once that you can make the religion.
Q. I can't seduce anyone, help, HELP!!!!
A. did... did you... you know... choose the seduction focus???

Version 1.0 beta
Most updated version always found on loverslab.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good post for page 69

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ, one wife is difficult enough most of the time. Twenty-eight would be a nightmare.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How about having The Mamluks cost a decadence increase in order to hire/retain and having Mamluks join in Egyptian decadence revolts along with the rebels, forming the Mamluk state if they win? That way the mamluks would actually get formed once in a while and change them form being a guaranteed rebel swatter to a desperate call?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My Latin Empire game is going great right now. I'm sitting on a nice 35k total levies after about 70 years with no major wars declared minus when the HRE wanted that silly duchy you get after your daughter dies. I surrendered that poo poo because wtf do I want that for.

I've currently added about 1.5k Knight retinue to my event spawn troops. Yeah thats right I still have an average of 5k at all times which is just fantastic. I checked out what the Latin Empire was on wikipedia and now I just pretend that they are crusaders gathering at Constantinople to see, seek, and gain glory.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

How about having The Mamluks cost a decadence increase in order to hire/retain and having Mamluks join in Egyptian decadence revolts along with the rebels, forming the Mamluk state if they win? That way the mamluks would actually get formed once in a while and change them form being a guaranteed rebel swatter to a desperate call?

I actually got excited once when the Mamluks took over northern India, only to find it was just a dynastic name that historically did exist there.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does it work when a dynasty controls more than one Muslim country?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Baron Porkface posted:

Coolest one gets the dynasty name, the others get the title names.

I finally forced Auvergne to become a tributary and then my liege swooped in and grabbed half of their territory. Why does the AI only seem to be interested in poo poo once you get interested in it? I remember once in another game I was pissed because like, the only Germanic (Norse, at the time) country was one of those tiny islands that was de jure Norway and would not stop raiding me, but Catholic Norway didn't give a poo poo. Finally I fabricated a claim, invaded, gave it to some Jewish guy in my court, gave them independence and only then did Norway decide that they had to have it. Then I guess there was some kind of revolt and that very same island became an independent Norse OPM, again, and immediately took to raiding me, again.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Baron Porkface posted:

I think highest rank gets the dynasty name, lower ranks just use the Emirate/Sultanate name. For an example, at the 1066 start, the Zirids own both the Sultanate of Africa and the Emirate of Granada, as two separate independent states, so only the Zirid Sultanate based in Tunisia gets to use the name; Zirid Granada is just called Granada.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Has anyone seen this mod yet? :stare:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=505286584

It's called Harem Kings. I'll let the description speak for itself.

Some key quotes from that:

quote:

Recommendations:
Underhanded Tactics - Torture, rape and adultery - I support this mod to the bitter end!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Version 1.0 beta
Most updated version always found on loverslab.

This is someone's wank material fetish mod.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

catlord posted:

Why does the AI only seem to be interested in poo poo once you get interested in it? I remember once in another game I was pissed because like, the only Germanic (Norse, at the time) country was one of those tiny islands that was de jure Norway and would not stop raiding me, but Catholic Norway didn't give a poo poo. Finally I fabricated a claim, invaded, gave it to some Jewish guy in my court, gave them independence and only then did Norway decide that they had to have it. Then I guess there was some kind of revolt and that very same island became an independent Norse OPM, again, and immediately took to raiding me, again.

I'm gonna guess it's the fact that you killed their levies and wrecked their holdings, so that they've become a more attractive target to the AI.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Edison was a dick posted:

Some key quotes from that:

This is someone's wank material fetish mod.

Wow such detective work a mod entirely devoted to massive scale polygamy, incest and rape is a fetish mod who'da thunk it

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Rumda posted:

Wow such detective work a mod entirely devoted to massive scale polygamy, incest and rape is a fetish mod who'da thunk it
Just highlighting that while it's possible to handle Harems and Concubinage delicately because they were important in the middle ages, this is from someone who endorses a Rape fetish mod and hangs around on a website that makes rape, incest and bestiality mods.
There's no chance at all of it just being someone wanting to see how playable the reputed harems are.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SeaTard posted:

Groogy will probably change it, but this is what you get right now:

• 200 prestige and 40% of income from the target
  • They join in on all your wars
  • All your tribal/nomadic vassals get 5 years of +20 opinion (stacking) This is what really makes it go from nice to holy gently caress OP.
  • This lasts until you or they die

Once you get a couple of them going, you can just sit back and watch the swarm conquer everything. When you're playing a tribe, the extra money helps immensely for creating titles. You can stay relatively small but punch way above your weight. Obviously works best if you start with a young ruler, but all you really need are the first couple to then keep everyone around you perma-tributaries. Oh, and they are more likely to accept diplo-vassalization if they are a tributary, so you can then add them to the fold if you want.

The bolded: do these still apply if there's a religion/culture mismatch? Are they forced to accept?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I'm gonna guess it's the fact that you killed their levies and wrecked their holdings, so that they've become a more attractive target to the AI.

Yeah, something that's kind of a pain in the rear end about both CKII and EU4 (maybe others, but these two I know for sure), is that the AI has perfect information at all times about everyone's manpower, so they'll pounce on opportunities as soon as they're able. I kinda wish that this would be curtailed somehow, so it's not so obvious, and more human-like. But I'm trying to think of systems, and there's probably no way to do it that isn't a massive resource pig.

FAKE EDIT: probably the cheapest way to do it would be for each ruler to have three info values: absolutely current levies, levies N months ago, and levies Nx2 months ago. Every N months, the current value is shoved into the second variable, and the second into the third. AI could have the absolute current info on characters they consider high prority, less recent info on characters that are medium priority, and the oldest data for everyone else. But they'd have to be able to see the actual current data before doing any diplomatic action, so they don't declare an impossible war because their enemy's levies were depleted a year ago... poo poo, anything I can think of would be a really complicated and bug-prone solution for something that's really just an annoyance. :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Two questions:

One, how in the hell does a Greek mother and an Ethiopian father create a Turkish daughter? Can't be infedelity, because my current character is her mother.

Two, how do you vassalize the Ecumenical Patriarch? I tried declaring war with intent to claim the Bishopric of Constantinople, and giving the land to a vassal, but the Ecu. Patriarch stayed in power and silently took the Bishopric back. Is it because my top level title is a titular empire instead of the Byzantine Empire?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

Yeah, something that's kind of a pain in the rear end about both CKII and EU4 (maybe others, but these two I know for sure), is that the AI has perfect information at all times about everyone's manpower, so they'll pounce on opportunities as soon as they're able. I kinda wish that this would be curtailed somehow, so it's not so obvious, and more human-like. But I'm trying to think of systems, and there's probably no way to do it that isn't a massive resource pig.

Why is this a problem when the human player can do it too? I always attack people when they've spent all their levies. You can see available levies from the Realm Tree screen.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Aethernet posted:

Why is this a problem when the human player can do it too? I always attack people when they've spent all their levies. You can see available levies from the Realm Tree screen.

or the character screen

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think the issue is that the human player has to actually check those resources and that introduces a delay, whereas the AI automatically knows and can jump the weak target immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DoubleNegative posted:

Two questions:

One, how in the hell does a Greek mother and an Ethiopian father create a Turkish daughter? Can't be infedelity, because my current character is her mother.

Two, how do you vassalize the Ecumenical Patriarch? I tried declaring war with intent to claim the Bishopric of Constantinople, and giving the land to a vassal, but the Ecu. Patriarch stayed in power and silently took the Bishopric back. Is it because my top level title is a titular empire instead of the Byzantine Empire?

Is the culture of your child's tutor Ethiopian? Or perhaps it's the "ethnicity" status you can only see with charinfo enabled? Mixing light-skinned and dark-skinned races often produces some kind of Middle-Eastern ethnicity, the game doesn't handle that very well.

• Locked thread