Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I'm considering getting the TBS Discovery to convert my DJI F450 stuff to an FPV frame instead of starting over with an FPV-specific quad and continuing to bash my head against what appears to be a black hole of information about getting started.

After searching for months across dozens of resources, am I missing something obvious or is it seriously not possible to get a decent FPV camera, goggles, and necessary rx/tx electronics for under ~$300? I've already spent close to $1000 on the F450 (including T8J tx/rx and naza-m, but still...) with less than a year into this hobby so another $300+ is more likely to make me drop the hobby altogether. It doesn't help that every local hobby shop in the Portland area appears to expect that you already know all this poo poo already and refuses to answer basic questions, so it's been frustrating just trying to add a basic goddamn camera setup to my quad.

Edit: It's not even the cost itself, but rather the fact that you can't even do FPV without getting ALL that poo poo at once.

Mina fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Portland, OR? I would like to get started in the hobby, but there seems to be few resources around here. I live out in Beaverton and there are zero flying fields nearby. Tammie's Hobbies in Beaverton has some planes, but it seems cars are their focus.

Edit: based on limited research, the goggles are what kill you in cost unless you do the cheapo homebrew. Flitetest and Oscar Liang have guides for ~$50 setups for cam and tx. If you can get by with a small tv screen for a bit you can at least get started.

Geburan fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 26, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Geburan posted:

Edit: based on limited research, the goggles are what kill you in cost unless you do the cheapo homebrew. Flitetest and Oscar Liang have guides for ~$50 setups for cam and tx. If you can get by with a small tv screen for a bit you can at least get started.

The Quanum goggles are actually getting decent reviews:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...amera_PNF_.html

I have a pair of V1's and while I got limited experience with them, they certainly do the job.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Krittick posted:

I'm considering getting the TBS Discovery to convert my DJI F450 stuff to an FPV frame instead of starting over with an FPV-specific quad and continuing to bash my head against what appears to be a black hole of information about getting started.

After searching for months across dozens of resources, am I missing something obvious or is it seriously not possible to get a decent FPV camera, goggles, and necessary rx/tx electronics for under ~$300? I've already spent close to $1000 on the F450 (including T8J tx/rx and naza-m, but still...) with less than a year into this hobby so another $300+ is more likely to make me drop the hobby altogether. It doesn't help that every local hobby shop in the Portland area appears to expect that you already know all this poo poo already and refuses to answer basic questions, so it's been frustrating just trying to add a basic goddamn camera setup to my quad.

Edit: It's not even the cost itself, but rather the fact that you can't even do FPV without getting ALL that poo poo at once.

The TBS is a really cool frame. I love the gimbal setup on the front. A buddy of mine got some 3d printed parts together and can pan straight up or straight down. It's def more of a camera platform than a zoom-worthy FPV machine. The integrated pdb is loving cool if you can make full use of it. I recently got myself a Quadrevo PowerOSD on my zmr250 that could do pretty well off the TBS to tell you voltages and so on.

My PFV setup came out around 360 dollars. Cheapo fat-sharks, Mad Mushroom (http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-5-8-ghz-bluebeam-ultra-antenna-set.html) Antennas and a sony CC cam (PZ0420M)

Well, maybe more like 400.

Ignore me, I'm dumb.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd get the headplay HDs, the camera / vtx combo from rctimer, and cheapo cloverleafs from amazon

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Geburan posted:

Portland, OR? I would like to get started in the hobby, but there seems to be few resources around here. I live out in Beaverton and there are zero flying fields nearby. Tammie's Hobbies in Beaverton has some planes, but it seems cars are their focus.

Yep, Oregon. I'm in Tigard myself. Tammie's Hobbies feels like it has the potential to be a really good source for multi-rotor stuff if they ever hire someone who knows anything about it. So far they appear to only have one person employed that can even fly a multi-rotor decently, much less provide any useful advice. The guys at the Wilsonville HobbyTown actually tend to have more advice about it, but still hit or miss.

I'd love to find a nice field to fly in locally, especially if I continue with the hobby and eventually get a fixed-wing craft like I've been planning, but you're right about the area lacking any real resources for it.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The Quanum goggles are actually getting decent reviews:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...amera_PNF_.html

I have a pair of V1's and while I got limited experience with them, they certainly do the job.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to find when I made the post. I think I'm gonna get that and eventually upgrade parts from there as needed.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The TBS is a really cool frame. I love the gimbal setup on the front. A buddy of mine got some 3d printed parts together and can pan straight up or straight down. It's def more of a camera platform than a zoom-worthy FPV machine. The integrated pdb is loving cool if you can make full use of it. I recently got myself a Quadrevo PowerOSD on my zmr250 that could do pretty well off the TBS to tell you voltages and so on.

My PFV setup came out around 360 dollars. Cheapo fat-sharks, Mad Mushroom (http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-5-8-ghz-bluebeam-ultra-antenna-set.html) Antennas and a sony CC cam (PZ0420M)

Well, maybe more like 400.

Ignore me, I'm dumb.

I'd be getting the non-gimbal TBS frame this time due to it being $75 without it and $600 with it, but good to know that it's a solid frame.
Unless you meant that your friend used the 3D printed parts to make the cheaper frame able to pan up/down?

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the kit and frame later today unless anyone posts a different recommendation for that cheap. Really appreciate the advice. :)

Edit: Yep, just purchased the kit and TBS Discovery frame from HobbyKing. Used their "wait on the page" discount trick to get $5 off the kit too. Will post videos and such when it all arrives. :dance:

Mina fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 26, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there anywhere to get CCW m5 locking nuts? One of the nuts that came with my motors disappeared and it's a CCW shaft. I know I can get them on eBay but I'd rather just get a regular locking nut instead of one of those bullet-shaped cone toppers.

edit: Just bought a replacement bullet off eBay. Next time I'll just buy all CW motors and proper locking nuts.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 27, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Martytoof posted:

Is there anywhere to get CCW m5 locking nuts? One of the nuts that came with my motors disappeared and it's a CCW shaft. I know I can get them on eBay but I'd rather just get a regular locking nut instead of one of those bullet-shaped cone toppers.

edit: Just bought a replacement bullet off eBay. Next time I'll just buy all CW motors and proper locking nuts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tea...SA6321&tbm=shop

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Es bueno! At five bucks I'll pick these up just because I hate the look of bullet tops :|

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Krittick posted:

Thank you! This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to find when I made the post. I think I'm gonna get that and eventually upgrade parts from there as needed.

I honestly would part it separately for a little more so you could have the v2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__78127__Quanum_DIY_FPV_Goggle_V2_w_5_inch_LCD_Monitor_Kit_AR_Warehouse_.html
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65997__Skyzone_Plug_N_Play_%3Cspan%20style=

edit: make sure you leave the page open until it offers you a lower price.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 27, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I honestly would part it separately for a little more so you could have the v2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__78127__Quanum_DIY_FPV_Goggle_V2_w_5_inch_LCD_Monitor_Kit_AR_Warehouse_.html
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65997__Skyzone_Plug_N_Play_%3Cspan%20style=

edit: make sure you leave the page open until it offers you a lower price.

I am so glad that I checked this thread in time to cancel my order and re-order with those instead. Thanks!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I took my P3A for a night flight last night. Turns out the camera isn't that good in the dark. I launched from the in laws second story porch. A bit of a clenched landing it was. A gust almost blew the drone into the wall. Lesson learned. Don't try to land near buildings on your second flight. :angel:

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Nerobro posted:

While we're at it. Guess what I'm doing at lunch today?

What's your opinion on the Blade Nano QX FPV? Was thinking about grabbing one myself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone a decent store that ships from EU and has reasonable prices? Some stuff (mainly the transmitter :argh:) has been on backorder with HK for months and at this rate will not show up until drones are outlawed completely. The local prices on this stuff are pretty silly.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Generator posted:

What's your opinion on the Blade Nano QX FPV? Was thinking about grabbing one myself.

It's really very good. Flight times aren't bad, in the four minute range. Video quality is plenty good enough for flying around the house.

Actually.. I can post of "actual flight video" from last weekend in a bit. If you excuse the pit that is my house.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Whelp, got my 333 Exemption today. The requirements to keep the blanket COA are kinda insane, but I figured that. Now to register and get N-numbers.

On a side note: this guy got a 333 for his paper airplane.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/08/27/faa-approves-first-ever-commerical-drone-operation-in-a-paper-airplane-yes-really/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Whelp, got my 333 Exemption today. The requirements to keep the blanket COA are kinda insane, but I figured that. Now to register and get N-numbers.

Congrats! What kind of work are you going to do?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Congrats! What kind of work are you going to do?

I've been doing photo/video work for well over a year, just finally had a client worth getting the 333 for.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just going to figure out a way to mount the 5v polulu to my flight controller, since I just realized that everything else in my build had multiple voltage support, and could handle 4s directly if I wanted to.

also hahahha
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/27/9210047/drone-exemption-333-faa-hot-air-balloon-license

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 28, 2015

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I think I'm just going to figure out a way to mount the 5v polulu to my flight controller, since I just realized that everything else in my build had multiple voltage support, and could handle 4s directly if I wanted to.

also hahahha
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/27/9210047/drone-exemption-333-faa-hot-air-balloon-license

if it's a naze or something similar:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Elendil004 posted:

I'm surprised so many people are going for the exemption given the requirement for a FAA certificated pilot including an up-to-date biennial flight review to be the drone PIC.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

I'm surprised so many people are going for the exemption given the requirement for a FAA certificated pilot including an up-to-date biennial flight review to be the drone PIC.

As I understand it, its an FAA Commercial certificate, no less.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

fordan posted:

Many people are counting on the FAA having no time, or resources to go after people in the what, year left until actual regs exist? If not less?

MrYenko posted:

Anything will work, see above where the guy is getting his Balloon License.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

I think that was in their first pass since that's what would be required for commercial aerial photography for a manned vehicle. Then (only slightly) saner heads prevailed at the FAA and they realized what they cared about was knowledge of airspace and regs which all pilots should have. Though that still doesn't explain why they want the BFR and a medical when needed for the certificate.

Here's the text they put in the 333 exemptions:

quote:

13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

Elendil004 posted:

Many people are counting on the FAA having no time, or resources to go after people in the what, year left until actual regs exist? If not less?

Then why even get the exemption and bring yourself to the attention of the FAA? Even if the rules change as proposed in the future, if the FAA thinks this is an "issue" they can easily look back and it wouldn't take much work to compare the 333 list against the certificated airmen list. I suppose it might be useful if you have clients who know what the exemption is and is looking to maybe limit their liability by requiring it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Many folks get it because clients require it to cover their asses (even though it's silly).

Once there are real regs the FAA will give two shits about this entire process, making it even more of a joke. The FAA has enough work making up "near misses" anyways.

edit: Remember, this is the agency that just certified a paper airplane as an aircraft fit for commercial use. I can't wait for Peter Sachs to call the NTSB everytime he gets a papercut or the plane "Crashes". It's all absurd, the FAA has it's head completely up its own rear end (or if you prefer a pun, in the clouds) and it would be funny if it didn't affect my bottom line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FlXnxO90M

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 28, 2015

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

For the first time in ages I have two fully functional mini quads at the same time (instead of one or more broken ones):

FPV race meet this weekend with a course that goes around a pond, so we'll see how long that lasts.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I'm still learning how to fly my 250 quad racer I built a few months ago, and it's time to re-stock on props. I can mostly keep it going flat and level, hover in place, but bank turning is still hard. I originally got 3 blade props, as that's what was recommended to me to learn on, but I'm seeing a lot of racers with 2 blade props. What's the functional difference between 2 and 3 blade props, and should I move to 2 blade props?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Takkaryx posted:

I'm still learning how to fly my 250 quad racer I built a few months ago, and it's time to re-stock on props. I can mostly keep it going flat and level, hover in place, but bank turning is still hard. I originally got 3 blade props, as that's what was recommended to me to learn on, but I'm seeing a lot of racers with 2 blade props. What's the functional difference between 2 and 3 blade props, and should I move to 2 blade props?

3-blade can have more thrust but is less efficient than 2-blade props. The general advice seems to be that you should stick with 2-blade props unless you have a specific reason as to why you want 3-blade props.

There's more specifics than that if you google the differences, but that's the main one I know of.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Takkaryx posted:

On top of what the other poster said, 2 blade props have a CHANCE (albeit slim) of landing flat in a crash, escaping damage. 3 blade props are going to break every single time because there is no way they can turn where a blade won't be hitting ground.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arrest that rear end! posted:

For the first time in ages I have two fully functional mini quads at the same time (instead of one or more broken ones):

FPV race meet this weekend with a course that goes around a pond, so we'll see how long that lasts.

What's the frame you're using on the left? Looks nice and tiny.

Also, any tips on cutting that braided sleeving to size without it unraveling first? I can't seem to get it to not fray.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Also, any tips on cutting that braided sleeving to size without it unraveling first? I can't seem to get it to not fray.

Cut it with sharp scissors then melt the tips of the fraying ends with a lighter so they blob together, that worked for me.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

Martytoof posted:

What's the frame you're using on the left? Looks nice and tiny.

It's a custom designed and cut 180mm, only two ever made!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Cut it with sharp scissors then melt the tips of the fraying ends with a lighter so they blob together, that worked for me.
Or wrap with tape (i use electrical) before cutting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I thought about the melting thing but not about the tape. I think the tape would work better since I could expand the tube to fit some bigger stuff, wrap it with tape, then cut. Would be harder to keep the tube expanded while trying to melt the ends as they'd start to fray by that point.

Is there any serious difference between the output of a 600TVL and a 480TVL FPV cam? I know the 600TVL is the one that everyone recommends but is it noticeably better or is it not really going to make much difference when I'm zooming between trees?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re: batteries on top instead of on belly. Are there actually functional and operational pros/cons?

I can see battery on top would be easier to switch and otherwise handle and manage. Every multirotor I have had (all two!! of them) have had batteries on the bottom though.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Whatever placement gets the center of mass closest to the plane of the props is ideal.

It is much easier to have it on top in most cases.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so what do you guys think about the TGY-i10 for quad and fixed-wing flying? Not that I have to have the fancy touchscreen remote but it seems to be the only decent option for me that isn't very basic and limited or super expensive.

My options seem to be:
TGY-i10, ~$180
9XR Pro, $100 + battery + module + receiver
Taranis, $220 + shipping from china + (likely) ~$60 in taxes and duty

This is mostly because HK are retards and don't stock a lot of TX stuff in the EU and the other options are either local stores ($$$) or ordering from china, ($$).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can you change the TX module in those? Also I wonder how badly the backlit LCD dings that 1700mah battery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good question - I thought yes, because why the hell not, but looks like the only way to get another module is to solder it in. Here's the manual for the Flysky i10, which is apparently the same thing: http://rc.305.cz/storage/Flysky_FS-i10_manual.pdf

How limiting would this built-in module be? Obviously I'd prefer having the flexibility but if the standard one is decent enough I could probably deal with it and mod it eventually if really necessary. Still this does suck.

Nobody seems to mention battery life. I can imagine it's worse than it would be without the screen but as long as it lasts more than the batteries in the aircraft that could be ok.

Edit: Actually, where can one get the Taranis for cheap in the US? I might have someone coming over in the next few weeks who could smuggle it in for me.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait, you in the EU or the US now? You're confusing, because you talk about EU stock, then ask about procuring in the US.

Either way, the Taranis is an awesome remote and has a JR slot, so you can go switch system without ditching the remote, or go full on 32 channels (with a second transmitter in the JR slot, be it FrSky or something else). That said, overhere in Europe, the Taranis seemed out of stock almost everywhere when I was looking to buy one. Of all things, I found someone on Ebay with stock, for 273€ delivered (with aluminium case but no receiver).