Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
blip.tv shutdown today.

quote:

Dear Blip User,

Blip was closed on Thursday, August 20, 2015.

As you may know, Blip was acquired by Maker Studios in September 2013 and the acquisition has allowed for additional, more expansive direct-to-consumer tools and products for content creators across the network.

If you are a creator and you have a YouTube channel, we encourage you to apply to the Maker Gen network to take advantage of Maker’s tools and services. Signup can be found here: https://max.makerstudios.com/.

If you are a viewer, we encourage you to check out the great content from Maker talent at our new flagship site: http://maker.tv/

We thank you for being a great partner to Blip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jamesman posted:

quote:

If you are a viewer, we encourage you to check out the great content from Maker talent at our new flagship site: http://maker.tv/

Great content like

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

paradoxGentleman posted:

And what has Konami done to ruin its reputation like that? I really need to find a way to keep abreast of gaming news...

It recently came out in a little more detail about Konami's extremely oppressive business practices in addition to what Kojima had said about working with them.

Unfunny Poster posted:

In completely unrelated stuff with the DSP/MGS V thing, I just found out someone has been taking some of my videos and re-uploading them in-full to their YouTube channel.

Well why do something for yourself when someone else already did it? :effort:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

Great content like

And yet they didn't want to be associated with Let's Plays. :(

Maker.tv just seems to be a full-on rebranding of Blip, so don't expect that to change either.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oooh, I wanna hear how this turns out :allears:

It's basically them taking a few of my videos that have not only my original content, but content I was given permission to use. They did it across a few videos which we all reported so there's at minimum two reports from two different copyright owners. My MCN also got sent an email since this is totally new to me so no clue if that's going to be a thing to involve them with or not.

It was super lazy too, the dude uploaded the infringing vids a month after I made them and has done it to a bunch of other people's YT vids and Twitch streams. It's super shady and given the small community for the game I don't doubt this will stir up some drama.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 21, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That's pretty lovely, hope it gets dealt with and things go smoothly for you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I think the only comeback he can use is "oh but I have permission to do this because the game devs are OK with people monetizing their in-game footage which those vids have." which is a really dumb excuse.

Edit - Yep, I was right.

I'll explain this a bit more. Each year EVE Online has a big tournament that's more or less the games form of an esport. People can submit "ads" (videos) to air during the stream between matches. You have to submit them to the developers directly and when doing so you give CCP Games permission to use the video, no where does a third party ever be mentioned. This guys channel is basically copying and re-uploading the stream (matches and ad videos in all) to their channel.

The submission notification for the ads also only states the video creator is giving CCP permission to use the aid however they please, and doesn't account for a third party to use it themselves. It's wholly a first to second party agreement.

The guy is basically saying that because CCP have permission to air the videos submitted to them with the expressed permission given to CCP, he has permission by proxy.

Edit 2 - They apparently removed the video before YouTube took action.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Confirmed: Slowbeef did not invent the LP.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They might be on the edge for recommending for Let's Play, but I've been watching way too much of Loading Ready Run's Twitch streams lately. They're pretty great and there's a metric fuckton of content on their backup YouTube channel. You should definitely check out at least the channel trailer if you look at nothing else in this post. Their backup is a couple months behind, but their VoDs aren't behind a subscribe wall in Twitch so there's not too much you're missing if you're worried about it. It'll be up on YouTube eventually if you come across a gap between the two places.

For a little background info on them, Loading Ready Run is a Canadian sketch comedy group that did weekly online comedy sketches for 11 years, every week, before retiring their weekly video series December last year. They're largely known for their individual Three PS3s, Halo: The Future of Gaming and Epic Nunchuck fail videos, their annual Desert Bus for Hope fundraiser for Child's Play, and their work for the Escapist in a few seasons of their weekly series, the Unskippable series, Graham and Paul Let's Play (which is continued on Wednesdays on their streams, currently they're playing through Far Cry 4) and the Daily Drop series. They also do contract work, most notably Magic: The Gathering's Friday Nights.

As for their streams, they usually stream every day of the week except Sundays. This weekend is light for them since they're attending PAX Prime with a booth, panel and multiple events. They have a whole bunch of people that stream, each with their own tastes and preferences so there's a good chance there's someone you'd enjoy watching. You can find the schedule on their website, which also has a little blurb on each show. They do use a facecam and overlays, but most of them have been doing video content for 12 years and are pretty good at keeping the game visible and themselves entertaining.

A few shows I'd recommend checking out if you're still reading: Watch + Play, where Alex is provided games of outstandingly terrible quality and plays them blind; Let's Nope, where Alex plays horror games of varying quality, sometimes completely; House of Stark, where Graham plays games, just a regular guy, no gimmicks; GPLP, where Graham and Paul Let's Play; LRRMtG, where (usually) Graham and James play Magic: The Gathering Online, I really only suggest this if you like Magic; Beej's Backlog, where Beej plays Nintendo games he usually never got a chance to as a kid; and Crossing the Streams, where at least two of the LRR crew play co-op games.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 26, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know about their other stuff [because it's a fuckton of Minecraft and that ARK game that I'm not interested in] but I'm really digging EthosLab's Terraria series so far.

Also, New Youtube thing I don't really know what to think about it though.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

It's a page to highlight a feature that Youtube has had for a long time and get people to use it.

It'll probably be higher technical quality than Twitch but have even worse chat.

Edit: Speaking of higher technical quality, I already notice an option to let viewers rewind up to four hours and an option to keep stream latency as low as possible or to use a close-to-fixed 30 or 60 second delay.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 26, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

RareAcumen posted:

Well, they're off to a bad start by having to ban the entirety of Germany.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, at least they put the chat on the side of the video screen instead of beneath it like it had been on the old layout.

Still rolls upward way too fast and abruptly to be remotely legible.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TheMcD posted:

Well, they're off to a bad start by having to ban the entirety of Germany.

Germany's wacky laws about pre-emptive copyright holders or whatever the heck is going on in that country's legal system is probably the problem.

Competition is good and it's good that YouTube is trying to compete with twitch. Hopefully it will inspire twitch to branch out of emoticons of white guys making completely indecipherable faces.

Update: these are poo poo: https://twitchemotes.com/

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 26, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

Germany's wacky laws about pre-emptive copyright holders or whatever the heck is going on in that country's legal system is probably the problem.

Competition is good and it's good that YouTube is trying to compete with twitch. Hopefully it will inspire twitch to branch out of emoticons of white guys making completely indecipherable faces.

Fun fact: Germany has reminded everyone that sufficiently creative food preparations are copyrighted and it's illegal to do things like share pictures of them on Instagram and Facebook without the chef's permission.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onean posted:

They might be on the edge for recommending for Let's Play, but I've been watching way too much of Loading Ready Run's Twitch streams lately. They're pretty great and there's a metric fuckton of content on their backup YouTube channel. You should definitely check out at least the channel trailer if you look at nothing else in this post. Their backup is a couple months behind, but their VoDs aren't behind a subscribe wall in Twitch so there's not too much you're missing if you're worried about it. It'll be up on YouTube eventually if you come across a gap between the two places.

Thanks for this, they played a lot of good games in stream.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Can anyone recommend a good lp of until dawn?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

judge reinhold posted:

Update: these are poo poo: https://twitchemotes.com/

Why are there 6 Taco Bell promotional emoticons? That's among the stupidest promotions I've seen.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

watho posted:

Why are there 6 Taco Bell promotional emoticons? That's among the stupidest promotions I've seen.

Those are cool and useful. How many ugly dudes with their mouths open does twitch need? This is a rhetorical question, please don't answer with "as many as it takes", "very carefully", or "because 7 8 9".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe we can combine the taco emotes and the ugly open mouth guy ones.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Little_wh0re posted:

It just came out so probably not. I can probably find you a bunch of bad scarecam LPs.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

This dude's done a full play through without commentary if you want to avoid the shittackular scarecam ones going on.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anyone, anyone on the planet know what ideas or emotions "kappa" is supposed to communicate?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

inthesto posted:

Does anyone, anyone on the planet know what ideas or emotions "kappa" is supposed to communicate?

He was the first person to be sarcastic on twitch. I know this forum thinks I'm a big joke and never takes me seriously, but that is basically the story.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

inthesto posted:

Sarcasm. It's basically just used as like "I am trolling you". Coincidentally, if you make it so chat can't use Kappa emoticons (including any of their variants), the quality of chat always goes up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FicusArt posted:

Coincidentally, if you make it so chat can't use Kappa emoticons (including any of their variants), the quality of chat always goes up.

The chat's still a shithole but at least the chat isn't filled with Kappa memes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Kappa are also basically Japan's trolls, so that's where the use of kappa specifically comes from.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
ralpherz should be an emote everywhere imo

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

inthesto posted:

Smug superiority.

Punchability.

The real-life human embodiment of the Dreamworks smirk.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little_wh0re posted:

Not sure what your thoughts on Cryaotic are but he just started an LP series of it on his channel.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wait so that's not a smiley of Mulder from X-Files?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not sure what your thoughts on Cryaotic are but he just started an LP series of it on his channel.

also super best friends but that's only if you don't mind people talking over everything and making dumb jokes. which is personally what i like.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

muike posted:

also super best friends but that's only if you don't mind people talking over everything and making dumb jokes. which is personally what i like.

Them yakking over the game is preferable to the actual conversations from what I've seen in so far quieter LPs.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yahtzee's doing an LP of Dark Souls 2 with his friend Gabe in a departure from their "one-and-done" videos. I kind of like how they're doing it: Yahtzee has played it to death, but Gabe has only played the first. They pass the controller on deaths, so the more experienced player can keep things moving along while you can still get the "new player" experience from the other guy. My only complaint thus far is that Yahtzee has this obnoxious habit of snapping every time Gabe asks a question about the game or mechanics. It happened when they were reviewing Yahtzee's old games as well. Like dude he just wants to know something about the game I kind of do, too. Anyway, they're pretty good so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3Fcu6p3wI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQuc4qub6A

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Yahtzee's doing an LP of Dark Souls 2 with his friend Gabe in a departure from their "one-and-done" videos. I kind of like how they're doing it: Yahtzee has played it to death, but Gabe has only played the first. They pass the controller on deaths, so the more experienced player can keep things moving along while you can still get the "new player" experience from the other guy. My only complaint thus far is that Yahtzee has this obnoxious habit of snapping every time Gabe asks a question about the game or mechanics. It happened when they were reviewing Yahtzee's old games as well. Like dude he just wants to know something about the game I kind of do, too. Anyway, they're pretty good so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3Fcu6p3wI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQuc4qub6A

I hope Yahtzee has the sense to throw himself off a cliff every now and then so Gabe can get familiar with the game so later parts aren't 'Competent man carries video game for seven episodes while new guy watches'

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I hope Yahtzee has the sense to throw himself off a cliff every now and then so Gabe can get familiar with the game so later parts aren't 'Competent man carries video game for seven episodes while new guy watches'

Tbf Yahtzee doesn't seem to be doing much better than Gabe despite his experience, so I'm not sure that would be necessary.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBI9kvbaQVQ

Amibos were bad enough, and maybe it's just me but I don't like this marketing stunt.
Heck I didn't like it when they hired them for interpretation in the Bloodstained kickstarter. Why would you hire someone who's expressed a lot of hate for a game to talk about that game's spiritual successor?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Genocyber posted:

Tbf Yahtzee doesn't seem to be doing much better than Gabe despite his experience, so I'm not sure that would be necessary.

Pretty much. He talks a big game but demonstrates only a surface understanding of the mechanics and world. Doesn't stop him from talking down to Gabe at every opportunity.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well his entire internet schtick is "bitter misanthrope" so he's sticking with what works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
If you ever get annoyed by yahtzee's attitude just look up the "booby booby bum bum" part of their normality lp and embrace the beauty of life

• Locked thread