Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

That area on The Alameda is pretty sweet. I'm stuck in the west San Jose/Santa Clara/Cupertino mega-suburb

Could be worse! I live in East Side San Jose. :ese:

warcrimes posted:

I lived in SJ for five years on The Alameda right by the shark tank, really liked it there.

I love hanging out over there. One of my favorite places in the world is Recycle Bookstore on the Alameda. They have the cutest cats :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I live in San Francisco but my parents live in Novato and boy let me tell you how loving boring Marin is

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

:patssay:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That is the stereotype of football fan that everyone else has.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Suspending your quarterback 4 games for maybe tampering with footballs: literally the Holocaust.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Suspendin' yah quarterback fah 4 games fah maybe tampering with footballs: literally the Haulocost.

The Giants are #1, das a fact'uh'life.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reddit /r/CFB posted:

Despite Baylor and TCU having more success last season, and Baylor being more successful over the past two seasons, Texas A&M is the premiere program in the state.

It's more than just wins and losses. A&M first of all is set to lead the nation in attendance this year. That's big, and our fanbase is massive. We also just signed a multi million dollar deal with Adidas. A&M plays on national TV each week, sometimes on CBS, which translates into a lot of eyeballs and TV ratings making them a national brand.

Then there is recruiting. We continue to dominate recruiting rankings which validates what our program has become and shows that recruits want to be here. I feel like recruiting is HUGE when it comes to the influence and footprint of a program, because it either validates or rejects what your program is. The fact that we are doing so well in recruiting PROVES that our program is a big one that the best want to be associated with. If Baylor and TCU were truly marquee programs they would be pulling in the state's top recruits.

Baylor and TCU may have had 11 and 12 win seasons, conference titles, and played in a big bowl, but they aren't A&M. They don't have the fanbase, they don't have the attendance, they don't play on the big networks and have the TV ratings and aren't big TV draws which makes them a regional brand at best. They also lack the recruiting pull that A&M has.

I would compare it to the iPhone. Texas A&M is the iPhone - a big brand. We always hear about how new phones are "iPhone Killers" but never kill the iPhone. While these iPhone killers may be more impressive pieces of technology that are more powerful and functional, the iPhone still outsells them big time. Baylor and TCU are those iPhone killers. They may be better on the field, but in the big picture, adding in factors like attendance and recruiting and TV ratings, they don't stack up. Texas A&M is the brand name.

I'd rather win 8 games every year and yet be tops in the nation in attendance, recruiting, and national recognition, than win 11 games and have limited appeal. It's more about wins/losses, its about the program's footprint as a whole which is more than just wins and losses.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

This reads like a 4th graders book report. Or someone who has to write an essay for a standardized exam, but that exam is for elementary school.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Now imagine hearing this for at least six weeks every single year.

~~*The TexAgs experience*~~

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

swickles posted:

This reads like a 4th graders book report. Or someone who has to write an essay for a standardized exam, but that exam is for elementary school.

It's really weird because there is a huge debate in English education about whether teaching that essay format matters because it's artificial.

And then someone naturally does it :psyduck:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Doesn't Android generally outsell iPhones? Although I'm not sure why I'm even spending the time refuting such an essay...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There's some world class delusion

"Yeah we might not win championships but I mean in completely rigged and made up statistics - recruiting - were killing it!!"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

There's some world class delusion

"Yeah we might not win championships but I mean in completely rigged and made up statistics - recruiting - were killing it!!"

:hellyeah:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
No Texas is

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

Doesn't Android generally outsell iPhones? Although I'm not sure why I'm even spending the time refuting such an essay...

Something like 80% of all smartphones are Android phones.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's really weird because there is a huge debate in English education about whether teaching that essay format matters because it's artificial.
How about killing off minimum length requirements for papers while you are at it? As soon as you get in the real world everyone wants their poo poo as short as simple as possible. If I taught a class in the business school I'd have a maximum page length...and it would never exceed 1 page and for most assignments would probably be half a page.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

How about killing off minimum length requirements for papers while you are at it? As soon as you get in the real world everyone wants their poo poo as short as simple as possible. If I taught a class in the business school I'd have a maximum page length...and it would never exceed 1 page and for most assignments would probably be half a page.

Because minimum length requirements help push students into being better writers by forcing them to go into more detail while doing what you say would make people's writing ability regress

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't get people to meet the minimum or maximum length of every submission call for my projects, so anything is bound to be a lost cause.

And good luck getting anyone to give you a list of bullet points. Always someone that sends you like 12 paragraphs of 3-5 sentences! Just because you put a dot in front of it doesn't make it a bullet point.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I guess I just mean in the business school. No paper should be any longer than necessary and like Sash! says, extra credit for using bullet points correctly. Nothing makes me hit "return to sender" quicker than "Data sources include source 1, source 2, source 3....source 7" Use the bullet points, the single greatest button in the Microsoft Word toolbar after spellcheck!

In English or Creative Writing knock yourself out with long papers. It just sucks most firms have to spend their first year teaching new graduates to write everything with less words. I had to write a 10 page paper in a business class. If I knocked on the door of every CEO in America I wonder if I could find one who reads every word of a 10 page document.

edit

sorry to start a derail. We were bitching about this very thing last week at my firm.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 18, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

Something like 80% of all smartphones are Android phones.

Though it's about 40% iPhone in the US and the iPhone captures about 80% of smartphone profits worldwide.

Ribsauce posted:

It's really hard to not hit the minimum length for a paper in my experience. Executive summaries and the like are important (and are arguably much harder to do) but they're not the end be all.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
goten1214 3 years ago in reply to Speegs23
@Speegs23 55-28, you piece of poo poo. We own you. Always have, always will. You're Baylor. Get that? Say it with me "I'm Baylor". You're a joke at everything. You paid a lot of money to go to a lovely school just so that you didn't wind up at tceh. Your life is a joke. Your football team is a joke. A&M's 6-6 team HUMILIATED you. A&M has a 68-31 record vs Baylor. But we all know you're pathetic and live through Texas to beat A&M. Just Baylor going Baylor on us...

i like this comment from 3 years ago

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

computer parts posted:

Though it's about 40% iPhone in the US and the iPhone captures about 80% of smartphone profits worldwide.

Apple has 92% of profits, but only accounts for 20% of all the physical devices.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Apple has 92% of profits, but only accounts for 20% of all the physical devices.

:negative:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I dare you.

quote:

Andy Dalton is a Hall of Fame Quarterback at a Bargain

Catchy headline, right? Anyway, since you’re here, let’s talk about the merits of one Andrew Luck and his quest to become the greatest quarterback of all time. Luck has won some games, except of course against the New England Patriots. He has made it to the playoffs in his first three years at the helm, and has even won THREE playoff games. Not bad, right? It isn’t ten in his first three trips, but who could even do that? With all the increased Colt activity since the signing of Sir Reginald Wayne, I figured I would take a quick peak into the legendary Andrew Luck and see if his looming contract on the horizon will indeed be worth the price tag.

I am sure most people know I am a Patriot fan. I am not a Bengal fan, though I live in Cincinnati. I am not a Browns fan, though I grew up near Cleveland. I watch good football, so naturally the Patriots have been my team since the mid-90s, when I started watching football. I also loved Brett Favre. I also respect the hell out of the Indianapolis Colts. Seriously, I do. I can’t stand their ownership and front office, but they have had some good coaches and have fielded some of the best and most upstanding football players I have ever watched. Peyton Manning is a top 15 quarterback of all time. With another ring he would catapult into the top 10. Have I done enough here to show you I am not headhunting?

Like I said, I live in Cincinnati. For those of you who are less geographically inclined, I live much closer to the Colts than I do to the Browns. I follow almost every team with a pulse. While I may be ignorant to the rookie receivers in Jacksonville and Oakland, I can tell you without a doubt I watch more Bengals, Browns, and Colts games than anyone save their fans. Specifically, I can’t understand a few things about each team; namely, why do the Browns even bother drafting in the first round, who (realistically) would the Bengals rather have throwing their footballs, and why the hell does everyone in Indiana think Andrew Luck is a top tier quarterback?

The Browns are, as yet, a lost cause with little chance for redemption: letting the only winning quarterback since their reformation (10-6 Hoyer) go with only Johnny "Done-Nothing-in-the-NFL" Manziel in waiting just shows how incompetent they are at every level. Bengals fans are infuriating because they can’t figure out there is more wrong with their team than Andy Dalton and they hide when the team isn’t doing so well. And Colts fans seem to be once again delusional when it comes to the greatness of their starting quarterback.

Let me start by saying the Andrew Luck is an above average NFL quarterback that nearly any team in the League would want. Okay? There. He is young, tall and strong and has the potential to be great. What he is not is an elite quarterback.

Nothing bothers me more than when the media makes it blatantly obvious who their lovechildren are. Colts fans should love everything about the media, as they seem to love and overhype your players and your team, while demonizing the team that constantly destroys you. Colts fans have had two number one quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks were supposed to be the best ever. It pissed the media off that while they were building these boys up, Tom Brady snuck into the NFL through the sixth round and ruined their fun for a decade and a half (and counting).

Just so I can appease both my Cincinnati and Indianapolis (great city, good zoo) fix, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. First, let me set the mood. When Colt fans and Patriot fans mix it is usually ugly, but some of the better folks can listen to reason so we can sometimes engage in spirited debate. One such occasion arose, with Patriot fans on average saying that Luck is a good quarterback who still needs to prove himself and Colt fans saying he will lead them to Super Bowls. Ok.

So I said Luck reminds me of Dalton. I watch them play. I DVR both of their teams every week. They are both ‘rivals’ in the sense that they both are competitive in the AFC, and I like watching their football. The Bengals have beaten the Patriots, so I respect Andy Dalton just a little bit more than the pant-pooping scrub who shows up every time I see the Patriots and Colts square off. Andrew Luck might be good against average teams, but Dalton plays in the AFC North with the Steelers and the Ravens and a consistent defense in Cleveland. Luck gets to play the Titans (laff), Jaguars (double laff), and Texans (still love those varsity jackets, boys).

Don’t take my clearly prejudiced opinion on the comparison. Let’s take a look at the stats:

So, unless Excel is a lying Patriot fan too, I don’t see enough of a difference here to say definitively that one quarterback is better than the other. If you take out Dalton’s fourth year (with all of his receiving options injured, literally), you will remove his worst, but most accurate, season. On average, he is still more accurate than Luck, throws a comparable amount of touchdowns to his healthy team with a higher touchdown percentage, throws more interceptions by two per year, and is pretty darned close to the YPA that the superstar Luck sports.

Don’t bother littering the comment section with hatred. I don’t want this to be a debate with the pairing. I am showing these stats for one reason and one reason only: Andy Dalton signed a 6-year $96 million contract with the Bengals that pays $16 million per year and guarantees $17 million. Andrew Luck is expected to sign the largest contract in history. If he gets more per year than Rodgers, and more guaranteed than Wilson, he could very well have a contract that looks like this: 6-year $150 million that averages $25 million per year with $80 million guaranteed.

Luck could win the next two Super Bowls so long as the Patriots aren’t in the way, but he is on his way to becoming a known commodity with three years under his belt. What Colt fan is comfortable paying him that money when Dalton is on the hook for $17 million and can be gone if he doesn’t perform by next year? It’s close, so why aren’t the contracts? You can debate team make-up and blah blah blah; I see statistics and contracts. One team is getting a ‘bargain’.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You don't even need to understand quarterback fundamentals to see a glaring difference between the two, but holy hell I shut my brain off the moment I saw this idiot say Manning is a top 15 all time quarterback, not even top 10 because of a ring.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I shut it down right about here

that guy posted:

I am a Patriot fan.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What the gently caress is with Pats fans I swear

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

You don't even need to understand quarterback fundamentals to see a glaring difference between the two, but holy hell I shut my brain off the moment I saw this idiot say Manning is a top 15 all time quarterback, not even top 10 because of a ring.

Same

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
LET ME GUESS BRADY IS NUMBER ONE

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder where he ranks Dan Marino.

-7?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

How many other QBs do you know that won 10 playoff games in their first 3 trips to the postseason? :smugbird:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WHOOPS posted:

How many other QBs do you know that won 10 playoff games in their first 3 trips to the postseason? :smugbird:

He was just having fun out there.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I looked at BaylorFans today you guys. :cripes:

quote:

Why all this "outrage"? Its very simple. 

Texas Monthly, Houston Chronicle, DMN, the ticket...etc are making sure that Baylor knows its place in the world. 
Why do I say this?
Because every one of these editorials has had some sort of comment about how "Winning has gotten too big at Baylor"

Sit back and think about how unbelievably arrogant that statement is......
The media is implying that Baylor University is not supposed to win, and does not deserve to consider itself a championship caliber program. 
The hard work of our coaches, athletic staff, donors, fans and athletes has nothing to do with why we have the best athletic department in the country. 

99% of these people could care less about the victim. This is all an attempt to smear Art Briles. 
The media took down SMU, Miami and USC and they are attempting to take down another private school. 

As far as I know.....SU never played for Baylor and never helped us win one game. Its an unfortunate incident, but the only person to blame is SU. Not Briles, Chris Peterson, Baylor, Boise St, Ken Starr, Ian McCaw or anyone else. 

Our rivals are scared to death of Baylor University and what we can accomplish. The evil forces are already attempting to tear us down.

And...

quote:

.I hope this doesn't come across as crass but there are two victims here. One laid in his bed in his apartment the night before. Nothing happened according to her testimony. Now a young man is marked a sex offender for life. The jury didn't seem to find as stiff a sentence as some would expect after hearing all the testimony. Maybe justice prevailed. 

E: gently caress me

quote:

But there was another victim in this case. Art Briles was raped and savaged by the media. He has been victimized as well.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 27, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chieves posted:

I wish I could say it gets better but it doesnt

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Those are probably the most well written responses. After that it turns into a redneck circle jerk of "Go Baylor Bears" and "Fucker her again".

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
The hottest loving takes I've seen re: Baylor rape case. Good lord.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Chieves posted:

And...

:stare:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Chieves posted:

Yes yessssssssssssssss

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Chieves posted:

I should be geeked about MSU starting the season being ranked so high, but I see stuff like this and know that success will only enable awful things to be said or done. Can't bring myself to be that emotionally invested when I can't prove that crimes aren't being covered up and that we don't have administrators/ fans who will circle the wagons to protect their primary source of income/self-worth at the cost of basic human decency. This thread is a constant reminder to keep pride for my chosen sports teams at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

ProFootballTalk Forums posted:

donte stallworth got a 2nd chance why shouldn’t rice , in a society that proclaims equal rights for all honestly punching a woman should not result in more of a penalty than punching a man. If women truly are equal then they cannot be perceived as weaker by getting harsher punishment than were a crime committed against a man. Peterson is welcomed back with opened arms for switching a defenseless 4 year old and ray rice is a pariah for smacking down his wife who instigated the fracas . Now please do not assume this is an open invite or approval to slap around your woman. I find his actions pathetic but either women hide behind their apron strings or they are equal and if they are equal then punching one is no more of an issue than any other bar fight where a player punches a man .
You cannot have your cake and eat it to.
ProfootballTalk comments are too easy usually but this one was really terrible with the claiming that Janay Rice instigated and deserved it. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread