Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Samog posted:

block destruction in invasions would be fine with an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

Clowns were painful because blood moons just spontaneously happen - a block-destroying invasion would be fine if you just triggered it yourself. I'd love to see a goblin siege train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

xiw posted:

Clowns were painful because blood moons just spontaneously happen - a block-destroying invasion would be fine if you just triggered it yourself. I'd love to see a goblin siege train.

Blown-up blocks leaving behind some sort of "ghost" where you could just pick up the blocks and re-place them quickly would be pretty awesome and a great idea though. Too late now I guess.

On the topic of invasions.. they've been really driving me crazy with the way the triggers for them to happen have pretty much nothing to do with whether you're actually ready or not, and not stopping until you defeat x enemies. I wish there was a way to just lose them - like give the enemies a counter also, each time you die it increments, after so many deaths they've "won" and go away so you can continue on.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Once I figured out how to kill one of the mechanical bosses, the rest of them, Plantera and the Golem were relatively easy to bulldoze over. Now I'm kitted out with a full set of beetle armor and an Eye of Cthulhu yoyo. What next? I did some dungeoneering, and got murdered savagely by the cultist waiting outside. What ranged weapon should I be working towards? I already have a Megashark.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Awful Sandwich posted:

Once I figured out how to kill one of the mechanical bosses, the rest of them, Plantera and the Golem were relatively easy to bulldoze over. Now I'm kitted out with a full set of beetle armor and an Eye of Cthulhu yoyo. What next? I did some dungeoneering, and got murdered savagely by the cultist waiting outside. What ranged weapon should I be working towards? I already have a Megashark.

You should be killing the cultists. Unless you want a UFO, or something.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 26, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Awful Sandwich posted:

Yeah, it depends on what you want. If you can beat the cultist, then you can get all the end-game craftable weapons easily from the lunar pillars. Look at getting the Crimson Biome key to unlock a set of Vampire Knives (Melee Throwable + Healing) and then craft a Celestial Stone and a Moon Shell. From then on you can grind the lunar event to get end-game weapons.

If not, you should look into getting gear for grinding the Martian event. Magnet Sphere, Rainbow Gun and Summonables etc are good for grinding out the UFO-mount which makes all boss fights easier.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The Martian mount makes killing the cultists infinitely easier.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Awful Sandwich posted:

Killing the Cultists is the start of an event that doesn't end until you fight the final boss, so if you want anything from any kind of invasion, lunar event, or solar eclipse don't start that yet. For ranged weapons, the Megashark is pretty good, but if you have Tactical Skeletons in your dungeon you can get a Tactical Shotgun, which is pretty broken with chlorophyte bullets. There are also some pretty strong bows available now; the travelling merchant occasionally sells a pulse bow, and you can get a Tsunami bow from Duke Fishron.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
All achievements unlocked and taking a break until the next content patch. This little game I picked up years ago for $2.50 has been incredible. I hope the next batch of stuff, given their focus on wired things, adds bosses/events/gear designed around developing convoluted mechanisms for killing. Reading through the history between 1.2 and current it seems like they've been more focused on having automated killing be less viable.

Thor-Stryker posted:

If not, you should look into getting gear for grinding the Martian event. Magnet Sphere, Rainbow Gun and Summonables etc are good for grinding out the UFO-mount which makes all boss fights easier.

I got all the Martian event stuff with some teleporters, lava, a pit and the deadly sphere summon. The cultist was a (slow) grind with the same summon and a honey/slime box. Moon Lord was a little iffy but with beetle armor and a multi-teleporter trap he went down nicely when the heart statues worked. This is all probably different on Expert.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks, guys! I've taken out 3 pillars. I'm going to slow down for a bit and grind up for the vampire knives. Progress in this game really comes in bursts.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Awful Sandwich posted:

Thanks, guys! I've taken out 3 pillars. I'm going to slow down for a bit and grind up for the vampire knives. Progress in this game really comes in bursts.

Just one heads up, vampire knives have little use against the moon-lord because he has an anti-heal up for 50% of the time in phase one and 95% of the time in phase two.

They are however, useful everywhere else.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samog posted:

block destruction in invasions would be fine with an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

I kind of feel like there needs to be block destruction for enemies in these kind of games to be threatening, otherwise its too easy to just wall them out so you're never in danger. People complain about there stuff getting messed up but that could be solved with something like what you mentioned. I dunno why nobody has tried that other than it would be hard to program I guess.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Destructible real estate ruins it for people wanting Vanity Housing Simulator. If you find that boring and are just down with fortress building and sieges... then all the sieges cost you is time spent in the boring process of rebuilding. I don't see who wins here.

I'd be down with Otherworld's tower defense if it's just adding a non-pretty-mansion aspect to the house building. Cool static defenses are something I always wanted. That just seems at odds with Terraria's plethora of cosmetic-only enhancements.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If there was any kind of building-destroying siege, enemies should have a harder time destroying blocks that are more advanced to build. Stone lasts longer than dirt, brick lasts longer than stone, etc. Maybe after stone single enemies can't destroy them but larger siege cannons that take a while to set up can.

Edit: but yeah make it so you have to trigger it or make our an option or something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just make block destruction part of Expert mode, along with every other change made purely in order to make the game feel tedious and annoying.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The game already has a solution for walling yourself in, though: enemies and projectiles that pass through walls, and the fact that the majority of weapons in the game don't pass through walls. It's already annoying enough to have to run away from my base every time a blood moon or eclipse happens to stop monsters from slaughtering my NPCs. The only things you can cheese by walling yourself in are the martian invasion and pirate invasion, and I'm willing to give that a pass considering that, unlike the bosses, those two invasions stay active until you beat them, whether you're capable of beating them or not, and they always happen in or near your base regardless of where you are when they trigger.

Block destruction just sounds really annoying, especially since you don't get to choose when the majority of events happen or where you fight them. It's not genuinely difficult, either - when clowns were able to destroy blocks, people just had to be double extra sure to line their base with explosion-proof blocks, or put up barrier walls to block the explosions and attack the clown as soon as possible. It was an annoying inconvenience, not a fun difficulty boost.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thor-Stryker posted:

Just one heads up, vampire knives have little use against the moon-lord because he has an anti-heal up for 50% of the time in phase one and 95% of the time in phase two.

They are however, useful everywhere else.

Good to know. Maybe I'll give up on them, it's taking forever and a day to get a key.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So, I finally killed Moonlord on hardcore (normal). He wasn't hard at all with beetle armor and a standard arena with some shields for his lasers. Hoverboard is the poo poo, and now I have Vortex Booster :fap: Didn't even need to nurse heal.
Starting out was the most difficult period: dealing with fall damage, medusas, that kind of stuff. Lost 4 characters before the successful one, all of them before even entering Dungeon. Early hardmode was pretty rough as well, I had a small panic moment when one night Twins spawned on their own. Clockwork Assault Rifle + Ichor Bullets shredded them pretty easily though. I though bosses won't spawn on their own once I killed one (Prime was the first) but I was wrong.

Expert will be a whole different story, but I need a break first :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

omeg posted:

So, I finally killed Moonlord on hardcore (normal). He wasn't hard at all with beetle armor and a standard arena with some shields for his lasers. Hoverboard is the poo poo, and now I have Vortex Booster :fap: Didn't even need to nurse heal.
Starting out was the most difficult period: dealing with fall damage, medusas, that kind of stuff. Lost 4 characters before the successful one, all of them before even entering Dungeon. Early hardmode was pretty rough as well, I had a small panic moment when one night Twins spawned on their own. Clockwork Assault Rifle + Ichor Bullets shredded them pretty easily though. I though bosses won't spawn on their own once I killed one (Prime was the first) but I was wrong.

Expert will be a whole different story, but I need a break first :v:

You're going to play Expert Hardcore?

Good loving luck. It's been done, but oof

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Mailer posted:

Destructible real estate ruins it for people wanting Vanity Housing Simulator. If you find that boring and are just down with fortress building and sieges... then all the sieges cost you is time spent in the boring process of rebuilding. I don't see who wins here.

not if there were an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
It would probably be simpler to just have an actuation mechanic on a timer. For example they throw a bomb, everything that bomb hits gets zapped into the background just like if you actuated the block, then after 30 seconds or whatever they re-actuate back to normal.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Samog posted:

not if there were an npc or tool or something that automatically replaced blocks destroyed by enemies, i think

Only if it also re-places furniture that was placed on those blocks, re-paints the blocks, and so on. And how would it work in terms of materials? Will it just re-generate everything for free? In that case, the player could clone blocks and furniture trivially. Will it require the player to provide the materials? In that case, what happens if there's more block types+furniture items in your base than can fit in your inventory? I don't see the point in implementing what is, essentially, the ability to save a base layout and reconstruct it automatically later, just so enemies can ruin your hard-built base without it being too painful, and then making it only usable when enemies wreck your base. Hell, having your base wrecked is already painful enough; god help the poor player who lets the Party Girl get killed by a Wraith or something.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ideally, the hypothetical goblin catapult or whatever would just remove things from the world for a while and then the hypothetical automatic rebuilder would get to work after the hypothetical goblin siege ended, all without spewing a thousand grey bricks everywhere or requiring the player to feed a thousand grey bricks into a hopper one by one

coupling freeform building with automatic repair would open up a lot of cool new possibilities for enemies, friendly npcs, placed objects, and invasions, imo. there may not be room for it in terraria, since it's pretty much complete, but it would be cool to see in the inevitable terraria 2 or in another entry in the "stack dirt cubes / swing swords at skeletons" genre

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'd still prefer something a bit more permanent. Block outlines and an auto-rebuild tool would be nice, but I wanted a challenge that actually threatens my housing like the Corruption does. An actual fight to keep NPCs in your world instead of hiding behind a wooden door from 90% of the mobs in-game currently.

That's not to say it can't be "Extra-Hardcore" mode or something so people can keep their art houses.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Man, destroying pumpkin/frost moon with endgame gear is pretty satisfying. Good way of getting loads of money for those expensive reforges too. ~50 gold for SDMG :stare:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

omeg posted:

Man, destroying pumpkin/frost moon with endgame gear is pretty satisfying. Good way of getting loads of money for those expensive reforges too. ~50 gold for SDMG :stare:

smh if you don't have a discount card at that point

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

VineST posted:

smh if you don't have a discount card at that point

I didn't even know that was a thing - does it really have to be equipped to get the discount?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

No Safe Word posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing - does it really have to be equipped to get the discount?

Yes. I keep it in a vanity slot and just right click it to switch it with whatever random accessory is next to then switch them back when I'm done reforging.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol if your gear isn't so ludicrously powerful you can afford to have a slot permanently occupied by a Greedy Ring

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Moon Lord is kind of a pushover. A pretty basic arena will do him in.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
He's an incredible rear end in a top hat in Expert, though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah but that's why I'm not playing expert. Fuuuuck that.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Overlord K posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

When I did it with two friends, what we did was get on our world-spanning skyrail and while two people were engaging him, one person would stay on the opposite end of the map. He'd never teleport to the far person when two other people were closer to him. When one person died, both the remaining people would just run away and try to stay alive until the remaining person respawned. It worked pretty well.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Overlord K posted:

Skyrail from one end of the map to the other. Hammer the ends to be bumpers so you can just bump back and forth at full speed. Mechanical cart. Enough endurance/ironskin/wrath/rage/regen/healing pots to last like 15 minutes (not kidding). Beetle armor. Decently ego'd Daybreak (a non-ego'd should be fine I think mine was Keen, I killed the solar pillar last so I didn't spend time reforging). Defensive accessories (I think I used: Ankh Shield, Master Ninja Gear, Band of Charms, Yoyo Bag (no yoyos needed so this is easy to replace), my Festive Wings, and Fire Gauntlet -- all reforged to at least +2 defense each). Summon Moon Lord, hop on your skyrail, pop your buffs and bounce back and forth and just chuck Daybreaks at whatever height makes sense. It's super boring but you basically only ever get hit by his sweeping laser thing. Sometimes he does it a few times in a row and I got to like ~180hp so I just quaffed a healing pot to feel better but you're never in real danger. Pretty foolproof, the worst part besides the boredom is that it takes so long and you just hold down the mouse button the whole time that it starts getting tiring. Make sure to keep your buffs on

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Safe Word posted:

Skyrail from one end of the map to the other. Hammer the ends to be bumpers so you can just bump back and forth at full speed. Mechanical cart. Enough endurance/ironskin/wrath/rage/regen/healing pots to last like 15 minutes (not kidding). Beetle armor. Decently ego'd Daybreak (a non-ego'd should be fine I think mine was Keen, I killed the solar pillar last so I didn't spend time reforging). Defensive accessories (I think I used: Ankh Shield, Master Ninja Gear, Band of Charms, Yoyo Bag (no yoyos needed so this is easy to replace), my Festive Wings, and Fire Gauntlet -- all reforged to at least +2 defense each). Summon Moon Lord, hop on your skyrail, pop your buffs and bounce back and forth and just chuck Daybreaks at whatever height makes sense. It's super boring but you basically only ever get hit by his sweeping laser thing. Sometimes he does it a few times in a row and I got to like ~180hp so I just quaffed a healing pot to feel better but you're never in real danger. Pretty foolproof, the worst part besides the boredom is that it takes so long and you just hold down the mouse button the whole time that it starts getting tiring. Make sure to keep your buffs on

This sounds like a tactic that would work a hundred times better with a homing weapon...

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Overlord K posted:

Does anyone know if the damage-delay timer affects other players? I know Stardust Dragon can prevent your own attacks from landing on a mob or boss, but I don't know if your pets will affect other players.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Supremezero posted:

This sounds like a tactic that would work a hundred times better with a homing weapon...

Yeah but the Daybreak does so much damage and the burn damage adds up. It seemed to go faster with the Daybreak than my Godly Possessed Hatchet.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah but the Daybreak does so much damage and the burn damage adds up. It seemed to go faster with the Daybreak than my Godly Possessed Hatchet.

Pretty sure Possessed Hatchet has rather limited range. Something like Chlorophyte Bullets would probably work best.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Vortex Beater and chlorophyte bullets with a UFO mount or skyrail will make everything much easier for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Overlord K posted:

Myself and two friends downed him in Expert using no rails, just a bit of asphalt. Small stretch with the four Heart Statues we had on hand pumping out a little healing*, and if I got low on health (as the tank), I'd dart off to a large stretch of asphalt, only to use my Mirror/equivalent back to a safe spawn point, then used a nearby teleporter to get back to our area. Typically this gave me enough time to get a potion back up.

*Our first time killing him the Heart Statues weren't producing hearts, likely because there were hearts already spawned elsewhere. Made the fight much, much longer than subsequent kills. Also, I didn't put the Nurse at spawn, which would have been a smart move, too.