Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

http://news.sky.com/story/1540723/thai-police-find-bomb-in-busy-bangkok-road

I wonder if this one was supposed to explode last week and failed, or was set up for a new attack.
Construction worker, could be anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Construction worker, could be anything...

Lol I was going to post that same thing because it's :thailand: as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQQK2TrcXlY

raton fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 24, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I know it's dark as hell, but-- SE Asia Thread: 14% of the time, we're bombed.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
100% of the people I've mentioned Bangkok to believe that moment is the perfect time to give me some bigoted PSA about ladyboys and how they exist solely to rob me of my red-blooded American male masculinity and make me a homo. Thankfully, no one has yet cited The Hangover 2 as a documentary with events that happened in real time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

14% of the time you should consider changing hotels instead of spouses

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Blinkman987 posted:

Thankfully, no one has yet cited The Hangover 2 as a documentary with events that happened in real time.

Whenever I meet an Australian in Bangkok, I ask them very pointed questions about the state of the police, the new cars and tactics they're employing, and the availability of gasoline.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

14% of lady boys will make you homo

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Whenever I meet an Australian in Bangkok, I ask them very pointed questions about the state of the police, the new cars and tactics they're employing, and the availability of gasoline.

It is pronounced guzzoline.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm in Chiang Mai right now. First time up here. gently caress, this is a boring place. The fact that there is no public transportation makes this place even worse. I can't wait for my train out of here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You're surrounded by some of the nicest countryside Thailand has to offer.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Haier posted:

I'm in Chiang Mai right now. First time up here. gently caress, this is a boring place. The fact that there is no public transportation makes this place even worse. I can't wait for my train out of here.

Use the red songthaews. They are a good way to move around once you get used to them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No one listens!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Every Thai cities got public transportation, its just not what you think..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The sawngtaews in Chiang Mai stop running routes around 20:00-22:00. After that they're hire only, but expensive as gently caress.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I found Chiang Mai pleasantly walkable. I just rented a motorbike when I wanted to get out of the city center.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The city is small enough to walk around to do what I need to do. I've seen about 90% of what was recommended to me (or I was interested in) in about two days. I'm going to Doi Suthep temple in a day or two. I'm just kind of flabbergasted that the second largest city in Thailand is in fact tiny and not as interesting as I thought it would be. If you've seen one Thai temple, you've seen nearly all of them. I loved going to temples and samadhis in India, but the cut-and-paste Thai temples don't get me out of bed in the morning.

Having bus stops but no bus isn't very cool. I know about the songtows but at this point I don't really have anywhere to go.

Though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of this country anyway. If it wasn't for family, I'd never come back. I'd prefer to be in BKK right now with friends but I had to come visit a relative I haven't seen in ages up here in CM and I'm trying to make the best of it. Meeting a million people I barely know and being fed sweets all day is starting to make me cranky as gently caress and I haven't even been here a week yet. I have to sit here and listen to endless stories about local politics and gossip and smile and nod and pretend I'm interested for about 4-6 hours per day. It's kind of ruining everything.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Clearly you're neither married nor old. Those are the prerequisites for enjoying CM.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I had a great time in northern Thailand after I left CM

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Rent a bike, get up at half past five and cycle up the long road to Doi Suthep. Look at the view, eat some fruit for breakfast, cruise down the road then go get drunk.

You're welcome.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Rent a bike, get up at half past five and cycle up the long road to Doi Suthep. Look at the view, eat some fruit for breakfast, cruise down the road then go get drunk.

You're welcome.

Pro tip - AM not PM

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Ted Ed Fred posted:

You're welcome.

I just walked it then took a songthaew back down. Not being a fan of riding bikes up mountains I recommend this option.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
While you're there and hating it, try north thai sausages from this place: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1210654-Reviews-Huen_Phen-Chiang_Mai.html
Don't go at night, go for lunch and eat sausages.... Sausages!!!

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Well I really like Chiang Mai. Some people don't that's fine. I stayed on and off for a couple of months in Bangkok before heading there and I definitely prefer it, it's a nice chill university town with plenty of everything you actually need (if you're not a sexpat) within a 3km radius.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not the second largest city, it's down the list a ways. It's the second or third most popular tourist city, though, depending on what kind of tourist you are.

Totally agree with eviljelly.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I just listened to google:

You can click the "feedback" link and tell 'em to get hosed.

I only come to this country to see family. Right now I am getting a new visa to another country, and that was 80% of why I even came. Last time was 7 or 8 years ago, and I had to listen to family complaints for years that I come back. Thai family are alright, but my tolerance level is really low. I do consider it a plus that it's put me off ever having a relationship with a local, because the last thing I want is more gossipy lazy bullshit in my life. If they think they can set me up with a Thai girl to keep me here, LOL. It was pretty good to hear my cousin got busted for his billionth robbery and is now spending like 10 years in jail for it. He raised an empire of fighting cocks and made money that way until the meth got a hold of him and he went out to steal poo poo, like from my dad's house, and got arrested too many times to count.

I admit there are many facets of Thailand and Thai culture that I enjoy, and I have a lot of Thai friends who are close to me, but at some point I hit a peak and want out. That's usually after a few weeks. My time in Chiang Mai with relatives overloaded that for me and I'm feeling a little nuts already. I'm envious of the other tourists who get a hotel room and can hang out and do whatever the gently caress without someone poking their nose in every few minutes. If I went and got my own hotel room people would flip out and get all butthurt about it, so that's off the table. I've been forced to drink more coffee these past days than I do in a year.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, being a foreigner of Thai ethnicity here is a totally different experience, that's for sure. I mean I don't even know personally, but I have a couple of American born Thai friends who have come back, and we talked about it and it sounds like just a totally night and a different experience than I have. The expectations socially are the thing that are really striking. And, on the flip side, they also tell me that non-Thai expats assume they are Thyai and treat them differently too. Sounds like a mixed bag for sure.

On the city size, if you google something like list of Thai cities by population, basically what you'll find it that the factory cities and suburb provinces like Non surrounding Bangkok typically have the next highest population. Some lists will also have a few other cities higher too. Traditionally, Hat Yai was the second largest city, but I believe that Chiang Mai has surpassed it. The one that I never believe is Phuket. There is no way that city is not nearly the size of Chiang Mai or larger.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 28, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Khorat is the second largest city I believe. Like Chicago that means it has one comedy club and got to be the size it is by acting as a the tradebroker for the farmlands beyond it to the larger cities on the opposite side of the farmland.

I worked with a guy in Thailand whose parents were both from Laos, but he grew up in California, was in a frat, was some kind of bottom rung investment banker back home and married a Thai girl who wanted to go back to Thailand really badly so he did. He also somehow didn't speak more than two words of Thai (khap and jing jing, both usually said about 95% sarcastically) and almost got into a fight with the tuktuk guys parked on Silom because they found out he wasn't Thai and started laughing about it or giving him poo poo about it or something like that.

Haier posted:

He raised an empire of fighting cocks and made money that way until the meth got a hold of him and he went out to steal poo poo, like from my dad's house, and got arrested too many times to count.

There was this one house in my old neighborhood back in a soi somewhere that had this giant black scruffy looking fighting cock out in their yard all the time. I swear the loving thing was at least three feet tall and had legs as big around as my dick. It would give me a lovely look whenever I went past there and I'm pretty sure to this day that's the only fowl I've encountered that I was actually somewhat worried about coming after me and maybe doing damage. Maybe some geese when I was five.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I've seen some fighting cocks and I would poo poo my pants if one came at me. The fact that shorts are standard here means my shins would be in ribbons after a few moments. Also, gently caress geese. Worst birds.

My situation is kind of weird. I'm white, and so is everyone in my birth family. My parents divorced when I was a baby and my dad opened an export business from a few countries in SEA until he married a Thai woman when I was very young. Due to custody, I had to spend more time than I wanted growing up in Bangkok with him and my new step-mom and her family. Her family is cool and speaks English and her sisters and all their kids and her own kids from a previous marriage and me and the new kids my dad had and all these people suddenly became my new family.
On top of this, my dad invited his side of the family to come live here, so now I had white and Thai family all in Thailand.

I know expats with Thai wives have a weird dynamic with her family sometimes, but as a kid with a bunch of Thai family it was fun. I had an endless line of kids to play with, who all knew other kids, and I was the oddball farang kid playing soccer with kids who couldn't afford more than flip-flops (in the early 90s). I had all these aunts and uncles and grandmas that took a liking to little me and I would sleep at their houses and go shopping with them and pray at temples and do the Thai thing with them like a local, and because I was a little kid, no one questioned it. Everyone was stoked to have a white "brother" and I would get dragged everywhere with them. We were all nearly the same age, too, and as I got older we were more and more bold. I grew up having a crush on the girl down the street, who didn't speak English, but we'd sneak off and hold hands and hide from her dad who hated foreigners. It was all the typical kid bullshit, but with half of the people I knew unable to speak the same language properly together.
I was doing this until I was a teenager when I was old enough to decide I wanted to stay in the US with my mom, so I left.

Now I'm in my 30s and rarely come to Thailand, despite usually being in Asia. Though some might say that the Thai people are not my full-blood relatives and therefore not family, etc, I was basically adopted by these wonderful people as a kid and I think of them all without a doubt as my family (also the family on my dad's side that came here).
How many times Kun Ma asks to see me, at some point I have to oblige if possible. It's nice to see them, but I realize my patience for the Thai style of gossip and poo poo talking is not suited for me. I also have to follow Thai customs so no one gets embarrassed or loses face or gets their feelings hurt, even though they kind of expect the farang to do so. I also get a lot of pressure to meet neighborhood unmarried girls, because they would flip out if they knew I had a Chinese girl back in China. The anti-China is very strong with them lately. The endless lovely Chinese tourists don't help. They suck so bad.

Anyway, I get all the problems of being white, and all of the problems of belonging to a Thai family. It's like some sort of Twilight Zone of unintended cultural integration. I get sucked into family drama and sit here in my sarong, watching people bicker and point and then pretend nothing happened and pour me more coffee.

It is fun hearing all the stories about people I haven't seen in a long time. One of my step-mom's sisters became an alcoholic due to not being able to find a husband (their words). She got into door-to-door sales, which turned into door-to-door prostitution, bringing great shame to the family. Her booze + hooking got her beat up a few times by customers and she got into stealing jewelry while trying to do door-to-door sales (body or otherwise). She disappeared after a while and then showed up at my dad's house drunk and took her shirt off and ask him to gently caress her, and my step-mom beat her up and threw her out. Also, another cousin got a full-back tattoo of the Buddha on his back and joined a gang and was stealing motorcycles GTA style with a crowbar and he also got his rear end kicked and put in jail.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Post more!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Haier posted:

Also, another cousin got a full-back tattoo of the Buddha on his back and joined a gang and was stealing motorcycles GTA style with a crowbar and he also got his rear end kicked and put in jail.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that guy. Hope the rear end kicking was particularly severe.

And yes, keep posting.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I've seen some fighting cocks and I would poo poo my pants if one came at me. The fact that shorts are standard here means my shins would be in ribbons after a few moments. Also, gently caress geese. Worst birds.

My situation is kind of weird. I'm white, and so is everyone in my birth family. My parents divorced when I was a baby and my dad opened an export business from a few countries in SEA until he married a Thai woman when I was very young. Due to custody, I had to spend more time than I wanted growing up in Bangkok with him and my new step-mom and her family. Her family is cool and speaks English and her sisters and all their kids and her own kids from a previous marriage and me and the new kids my dad had and all these people suddenly became my new family.
On top of this, my dad invited his side of the family to come live here, so now I had white and Thai family all in Thailand.

I know expats with Thai wives have a weird dynamic with her family sometimes, but as a kid with a bunch of Thai family it was fun. I had an endless line of kids to play with, who all knew other kids, and I was the oddball farang kid playing soccer with kids who couldn't afford more than flip-flops (in the early 90s). I had all these aunts and uncles and grandmas that took a liking to little me and I would sleep at their houses and go shopping with them and pray at temples and do the Thai thing with them like a local, and because I was a little kid, no one questioned it. Everyone was stoked to have a white "brother" and I would get dragged everywhere with them. We were all nearly the same age, too, and as I got older we were more and more bold. I grew up having a crush on the girl down the street, who didn't speak English, but we'd sneak off and hold hands and hide from her dad who hated foreigners. It was all the typical kid bullshit, but with half of the people I knew unable to speak the same language properly together.
I was doing this until I was a teenager when I was old enough to decide I wanted to stay in the US with my mom, so I left.

Now I'm in my 30s and rarely come to Thailand, despite usually being in Asia. Though some might say that the Thai people are not my full-blood relatives and therefore not family, etc, I was basically adopted by these wonderful people as a kid and I think of them all without a doubt as my family (also the family on my dad's side that came here).
How many times Kun Ma asks to see me, at some point I have to oblige if possible. It's nice to see them, but I realize my patience for the Thai style of gossip and poo poo talking is not suited for me. I also have to follow Thai customs so no one gets embarrassed or loses face or gets their feelings hurt, even though they kind of expect the farang to do so. I also get a lot of pressure to meet neighborhood unmarried girls, because they would flip out if they knew I had a Chinese girl back in China. The anti-China is very strong with them lately. The endless lovely Chinese tourists don't help. They suck so bad.

Anyway, I get all the problems of being white, and all of the problems of belonging to a Thai family. It's like some sort of Twilight Zone of unintended cultural integration. I get sucked into family drama and sit here in my sarong, watching people bicker and point and then pretend nothing happened and pour me more coffee.

It is fun hearing all the stories about people I haven't seen in a long time. One of my step-mom's sisters became an alcoholic due to not being able to find a husband (their words). She got into door-to-door sales, which turned into door-to-door prostitution, bringing great shame to the family. Her booze + hooking got her beat up a few times by customers and she got into stealing jewelry while trying to do door-to-door sales (body or otherwise). She disappeared after a while and then showed up at my dad's house drunk and took her shirt off and ask him to gently caress her, and my step-mom beat her up and threw her out. Also, another cousin got a full-back tattoo of the Buddha on his back and joined a gang and was stealing motorcycles GTA style with a crowbar and he also got his rear end kicked and put in jail.

Yeah well I'm so white I seethe with jealousy over your exotic idyll of a childhood that's how white I am so there

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So I got bidness in the land of smiles. Flights booked and all that for a month in November. If you want to get into some trouble let me know if you'll be around then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So I got bidness in the land of smiles. Flights booked and all that for a month in November. If you want to get into some trouble let me know if you'll be around then.

I'll be around.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ReindeerF posted:

Post more!

Sorry, Sheep-goats. As a kid with a lot of friends in the USA, it was hard to be forced to live in a new country knowing no one and having to try to make friends with kids who didn't speak English. I had a lot of enemies, some of them lasting a decade or more. These buttholes down from where we lived, maybe a few years older than me, would come out of their house nearly every time I walked by would and point at their dicks and shout "gently caress u, farang, fuk u!!" They always wanted to fight me but would run away the moment it got too serious. My dad saw me one day and came out and threw old fruit at the kids and their dad came out and he saw my dad and ran away, too. The whole family was quiet for a while after that, but later the kids would come out with their dogs and try to harass me again. The last time I saw them was 2007 and they just stood there staring at me, not sure how to react.

I got comfortable the best way I could, but it was also a shock for me at first. It wasn't the fresh adult experience of arriving in a fun new country, pretty girls smiling at me, a job to have, weird new culture to orient myself with.
Anyway, I am adult now and I like a lot of things here but I have that "no thanks" kind of feeling about it that a lot of expats feel about their own home countries. I'm not really into living in the USA or Thailand, but the rest of Asia is totally fine and exciting to me.

Another story I can think of is that in the 90s, few families could afford video game systems, but every kid wanted one. This led to the creation of game shops where there were 5 to 20 TVs with Sega Genesis, Super Famicoms and, later, Playstations. Since blackmarket Famicom discs were easy to produce (as well as PS1 bootlegs), these shops were everywhere in neighborhoods and making a killer profit. I remember it was about 10b per hour, and later when the PS1 came out the prices changed to like 5b for the old systems and 20b per hour for the PS1. My dad gave me a 20b per day allowance to get me out of the house and the shop I'd prefer to play games in was 10b per hour, but 5b per extra person. 20b got me and 2 neighborhood kids to play Dragonball and "Steet Faituh" for an hour. I was popular as gently caress and everyone wanted to come with me. Eventually I got addicted, as I didn't have my own game system at home, and started stealing my from dad's wallet to pay for the gaming. My step-mom found out, but she thought it was hilarious and started sneaking me cash when my dad wasn't around, because I'd take the Thai relatives with me and get everyone out of the house so they could get some peace.

When Playstation became popular, Bio Hazard (the first Resident Evil) arrived at the shop, and the owner liked me so much (due to repeat business) that he let me use a memory card to myself for saved games. I wanted to beat the game so badly. One day I broke into my sister's piggy bank and stole everything but the 1b coins and later I got caught and got a whooping with a cooking spoon. It didn't stop me, and I started stealing stuff from the house and tried to sell it out on the soi to taxi drivers. I got caught again, and my allowance was cut off and my dad made me go with him every day to sit while he did business meetings. I didn't beat that game until about 3 years later back in the US.

Another is my dad heard there was a big waterslide park in Pattaya, and he paid for us and the Thai relatives to go down for a weekend on the bus. He invited his expat business friends, who had Thai wives, and it was a gaggle of kids divided by English-only, English + Thai, and Thai only. We all translated together and when the older people wanted to go drinking, they gave us some cash and we went out to the malls alone. Imagine like 8 kids of various ages, walking by the ladyboy bars and strip-clubs, all hyper on soda and freedom, and being total dipshits without supervision. I was about 11 at this time, and one of the half-Thai girls in the group I had a crush on was near the same age and I wanted to impress her with my maturity. I did this by trying to hit on bar girls to make her jealous.
Thinking I was hot poo poo, I walked up and sat next to two bar girls and introduced myself. I had a bowl cut and huge aviator glasses at the time, and looked like a loving idiot. They laughed and me and started touching my hair and patting my back. I immediately had the "oh poo poo, cooties" reaction, plus kid boner, and I spazzed out and ran away with my kid boner showing through my soccer shorts. Everyone laughed at me and I felt embarrassed as hell. Later we were at the mall eating ice cream and some ladyboys started talking to us. All of us played the popular game of "Spot the kathoey," but now we had some talking to us and we freaked out. The pure Thai kids thought it was hilarious, while the mixed and white kids were scared. I was the target again of hair ruffling and back patting. I again ran away, no kid boner this time, and was again laughed at by everyone.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So they've arrested a Turkish guy who apparently had bomb-making equipment in his apartment.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Urgent-Turkish-suspect-arrested-in-Bangkok-with-bo-30267728.html

I don't think it's the same guy as in those CCTV images, no matter how blurry they were.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Bardeh posted:

So they've arrested a Turkish guy who apparently had bomb-making equipment in his apartment.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Urgent-Turkish-suspect-arrested-in-Bangkok-with-bo-30267728.html

I don't think it's the same guy as in those CCTV images, no matter how blurry they were.

Sick Blue Steel look

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Turkey is probably not a country Thai authorities would dick around arresting a national from, so unless they bungled something there's probably something to this of some substance.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

That wasn't a one man operation so maybe it's an associate. In any case I don't think there are many prisoners on Earth who would swap spots with that guy right now.

Haier posted:

Sorry, Sheep-goats. As a kid with a lot of friends in the USA, it was hard to be forced to live in a new country knowing no one and having to try to make friends with kids who didn't speak English. I had a lot of enemies, some of them lasting a decade or more. These buttholes down from where we lived, maybe a few years older than me, would come out of their house nearly every time I walked by would and point at their dicks and shout "gently caress u, farang, fuk u!!" They always wanted to fight me but would run away the moment it got too serious. My dad saw me one day and came out and threw old fruit at the kids and their dad came out and he saw my dad and ran away, too. The whole family was quiet for a while after that, but later the kids would come out with their dogs and try to harass me again. The last time I saw them was 2007 and they just stood there staring at me, not sure how to react.

I got comfortable the best way I could, but it was also a shock for me at first. It wasn't the fresh adult experience of arriving in a fun new country, pretty girls smiling at me, a job to have, weird new culture to orient myself with.
Anyway, I am adult now and I like a lot of things here but I have that "no thanks" kind of feeling about it that a lot of expats feel about their own home countries. I'm not really into living in the USA or Thailand, but the rest of Asia is totally fine and exciting to me.

Another story I can think of is that in the 90s, few families could afford video game systems, but every kid wanted one. This led to the creation of game shops where there were 5 to 20 TVs with Sega Genesis, Super Famicoms and, later, Playstations. Since blackmarket Famicom discs were easy to produce (as well as PS1 bootlegs), these shops were everywhere in neighborhoods and making a killer profit. I remember it was about 10b per hour, and later when the PS1 came out the prices changed to like 5b for the old systems and 20b per hour for the PS1. My dad gave me a 20b per day allowance to get me out of the house and the shop I'd prefer to play games in was 10b per hour, but 5b per extra person. 20b got me and 2 neighborhood kids to play Dragonball and "Steet Faituh" for an hour. I was popular as gently caress and everyone wanted to come with me. Eventually I got addicted, as I didn't have my own game system at home, and started stealing my from dad's wallet to pay for the gaming. My step-mom found out, but she thought it was hilarious and started sneaking me cash when my dad wasn't around, because I'd take the Thai relatives with me and get everyone out of the house so they could get some peace.

When Playstation became popular, Bio Hazard (the first Resident Evil) arrived at the shop, and the owner liked me so much (due to repeat business) that he let me use a memory card to myself for saved games. I wanted to beat the game so badly. One day I broke into my sister's piggy bank and stole everything but the 1b coins and later I got caught and got a whooping with a cooking spoon. It didn't stop me, and I started stealing stuff from the house and tried to sell it out on the soi to taxi drivers. I got caught again, and my allowance was cut off and my dad made me go with him every day to sit while he did business meetings. I didn't beat that game until about 3 years later back in the US.

Another is my dad heard there was a big waterslide park in Pattaya, and he paid for us and the Thai relatives to go down for a weekend on the bus. He invited his expat business friends, who had Thai wives, and it was a gaggle of kids divided by English-only, English + Thai, and Thai only. We all translated together and when the older people wanted to go drinking, they gave us some cash and we went out to the malls alone. Imagine like 8 kids of various ages, walking by the ladyboy bars and strip-clubs, all hyper on soda and freedom, and being total dipshits without supervision. I was about 11 at this time, and one of the half-Thai girls in the group I had a crush on was near the same age and I wanted to impress her with my maturity. I did this by trying to hit on bar girls to make her jealous.
Thinking I was hot poo poo, I walked up and sat next to two bar girls and introduced myself. I had a bowl cut and huge aviator glasses at the time, and looked like a loving idiot. They laughed and me and started touching my hair and patting my back. I immediately had the "oh poo poo, cooties" reaction, plus kid boner, and I spazzed out and ran away with my kid boner showing through my soccer shorts. Everyone laughed at me and I felt embarrassed as hell. Later we were at the mall eating ice cream and some ladyboys started talking to us. All of us played the popular game of "Spot the kathoey," but now we had some talking to us and we freaked out. The pure Thai kids thought it was hilarious, while the mixed and white kids were scared. I was the target again of hair ruffling and back patting. I again ran away, no kid boner this time, and was again laughed at by everyone.

I moved five times through school and had similar issues with starting over each time. The language barrier wasn't there but then you never showed up as just another goy getting any free cool credits either.

About the same age as you myself and two of my friends would sneak into Travis's mom's stash of quarters in coffee cans (she ran a motel) to go play Street Fighter on an arcade machine at a bar. She eventually scolded us and that stopped that for the most part, plus we found out that the control panel on that machine hadn't been secured so you could just pull it up toward you and it would hinge open like a door and you could then reach down into the machine and hit the little wire that the quarters tripped a million times for free credits. When Mortal Kombat came out another friend had found out that his dad had a huge stash of quarters literally under the floorboards -- all my friends were poor but this guy was really severely poor with a borderline (or maybe not borderline) neglectful dad, like no heat in the house in winter and no lunch money and no winter coat and Christmas presents coming only from siblings kind of poo poo. So we played the gently caress out of Mortal Kombat. Years later he told me that he realized the reason those quarters were stuffed under the floorboards is that they were all the old pure silver ones that his brain damaged dad had culled out of pocket change from the time he was in his teens.

I played Shang Tsung and Scorpio.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sheep-Goats posted:

That wasn't a one man operation so maybe it's an associate. In any case I don't think there are many prisoners on Earth who would swap spots with that guy right now.

Probably the guy being held and force-fed in Guantanamo even though he's been identified as a non-threat since 2009. That's about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe someone in a Turkish prison :iamafag: