Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

IUG posted:

My comic shop had this sitting in a display case, and I couldn't pass it up.

I'm super loving geeking out right now.

I was obliged to sell my comic collection at a fire sale price a long time ago, all comics I purchased new for my own enjoyment and X-Men were my favorite title. For all I know that's mine! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

davebo posted:

Is the website a secret?

Flaviar?

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

bro dude hook it up

finedrams.com

I posted about it in the whisky thread a while ago but everyone ignored me.. ;(

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Daimo posted:

(not my image)

Because why have three monitors when you can have a gopping 40" 4K one?

I would have preferred a 21:9 34" but they all have horrendous backlight bleed QC issues.

ehhh.. one thing ive always wondered about these setups is how do you avoid the neck-strain that comes with how tall those things are?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

daishan14 posted:

finedrams.com

I posted about it in the whisky thread a while ago but everyone ignored me.. ;(

This is a Denmark store, but they do free shipping to the USA if you spend at least 250 of whatever "€" are.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

ehhh.. one thing ive always wondered about these setups is how do you avoid the neck-strain that comes with how tall those things are?

I have the same setup.

If he's like me, his eye-level will be around the tree part of that wallpaper, so it's not like looking up at a TV above a fireplace (gently caress anyone that does this)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I was obliged to sell my comic collection at a fire sale price a long time ago, all comics I purchased new for my own enjoyment and X-Men were my favorite title. For all I know that's mine! :argh:

Are you in CT? Because otherwise, I think other people own the comic too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

IUG posted:

Speaking of which, which comic shop in CT you go to? I just moved back to Central CT.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

IUG posted:

I actually live in your neighborhood and am right now watching you read that comic book.

Don't turn the pages so quickly. I'm a slow reader.

:ninja:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

kloa posted:

I have the same setup.

If he's like me, his eye-level will be around the tree part of that wallpaper, so it's not like looking up at a TV above a fireplace (gently caress anyone that does this)

Agreed!

Having ultrawide monitors has never strained my neck like a trackir or 2kg kevlar helmet ever did.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Speaking of which, which comic shop in CT you go to? I just moved back to Central CT.

I'm in Manchester, and go to A Hero's Legacy. It's one of my favorite stores I've shopped at since I picked up the hobby and moved across the state. If you follow them on Facebook/Twitter, they have sales every weekend. Last weekend it was 55% off back issues. Every few months they do a monster sale where you can fill a box for about $50.

If you're more closer to the Hartford/Newington area, then I would suggest Eye Opener as a nice shop (although small).

Dick Trauma posted:

I actually live in your neighborhood and am right now watching you read that comic book.

Don't turn the pages so quickly. I'm a slow reader.

:ninja:

I'm still at work, so now I'm wondering who's in my bushes outside my house, and who's inside my house.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ahh, kk. I'm down rt 9 from Newington so I'll check them out.

When I lived in Southington I used to go to Fables before they closed down. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ahh, kk. I'm down rt 9 from Newington so I'll check them out.

When I lived in Southington I used to go to Fables before they closed down. :(

Hell yeah, I remember going there the week before they closed, just after they started carrying comic books again. That's the one that I have tied with A Hero's Legacy as one of my favorite stores. That was a fun store, but AHL has better sales and more stuff going on. Eye Opener used to be on the way to work before I moved, and they'll go out of their ways to try to fulfill orders in case they miss something. But they don't have as much of a back issue selection.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Daimo posted:

I would have preferred a 21:9 34" but they all have horrendous backlight bleed QC issues.

Even the thousand dollar ones? That's a real bummer. Guess I'm gonna sit on my hands until Dell comes out with an ultra wide ultrasharp.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

And a shitload of assorted puppy stuff, crate, ex-pen, etc. We get to bring him home next weekend!

Vinz
Jul 25, 2004
game sux u sux

CaseFace McGee posted:

And a shitload of assorted puppy stuff, crate, ex-pen, etc. We get to bring him home next weekend!

Gaddang that's a nice pup!

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Even the thousand dollar ones? That's a real bummer. Guess I'm gonna sit on my hands until Dell comes out with an ultra wide ultrasharp.

Even the curved ones are a lottery I'm not willing to play at that price. 4k is probably more than my solitary 760 4gb can handle but gently caress it.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

CaseFace McGee posted:

so cute. golden retriever?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

so cute. golden retriever?

Golden poodle mix, we want a larger dog that won't aggravate my wife's allergies and there aren't any Samoyeds within a few hours' drive. He will be fluffier than a golden, but it's hard to say how fluffy until he is a few months old. The shelter has had a few that keep straighter hair until around five months, then it's like the dog gets stuck in a curling iron when the poodle hair shows itself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

Golden poodle mix, we want a larger dog that won't aggravate my wife's allergies and there aren't any Samoyeds within a few hours' drive. He will be fluffier than a golden, but it's hard to say how fluffy until he is a few months old. The shelter has had a few that keep straighter hair until around five months, then it's like the dog gets stuck in a curling iron when the poodle hair shows itself.

Oh dammit I want to get a samoyed so bad. Grew up with them. I think I could get used to never wearing black clothes again. Love those dogs.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Daimo posted:

Even the curved ones are a lottery I'm not willing to play at that price. 4k is probably more than my solitary 760 4gb can handle but gently caress it.

At least with 4k you can play in 1080p and not have scaling issues.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

big mean giraffe posted:

At least with 4k you can play in 1080p and not have scaling issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't actually chart vision like that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

You can't actually chart vision like that.

It's not charting "vision". It's charting at what distance screen artifacts like pixels become indistinguishable for most people. There's two pieces of inter-related information so it makes sense to use a chart to present that data as opposed to a table.

Seems to be an effective way to get the information across to me.
:shrug:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I think big mean giraffe meant pixels will scale at a proper hardware ratio rather than something that breaks the OS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

flosofl posted:

It's not charting "vision". It's charting at what distance screen artifacts like pixels become indistinguishable for most people. There's two pieces of inter-related information so it makes sense to use a chart to present that data as opposed to a table.

Seems to be an effective way to get the information across to me.
:shrug:

It's also kind of a weird chart to use for most people who care in that it's about HD video mastering, not video game rendering.

Aliasing artifacts from games and things happening at native resolution is completely different from seeing detail in decently mastered video.

Now as to how much you care about all this dumb nerd crap that's a personal opinion, but that chart's not based on vidja games.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Seems close enough to what I experience but keep in mind a lot of people actually do sit 3 feet away from their monitors.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought myself a Penny board. Looks like fun, less expensive than one of those no-handlebar scooters, and annoys people who are really into skateboarding.

Update, the Penny board is a lot of fun, it kinda bridges the gap between longboard and regular skateboard. Plus I don't feel like I need to know tricks, which is nice.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

davebo posted:

Seems close enough to what I experience but keep in mind a lot of people actually do sit 3 feet away from their monitors.

I just measured and mines 18".

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just measured and mines 18".

same

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That chart is awful and just made up poo poo and should be ignored.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

not really, no

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

XB270HU - 1440p + 144Hz + Gsync = Yes, please!

Will get an ultrawide later on in the next two years when tech improves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if someone's made a similar chart with measurements first-world people use.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

What did you pay for it?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

RCarr posted:

What did you pay for it?

$800 + overnight shipping

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

Congrats. I'm still eyeballing/holding out.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nephzinho posted:

Congrats. I'm still eyeballing/holding out.

Should just pick up the HB and enjoy the IPS 144Hz goodness and then resell it when they start implementing DP 1.3 where ultra wides should be able to hit 144Hz no problem.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
While everyone is talking 4k, i'm in the market.

Been talking to my friends that work in a department store dedicated to this poo poo and i've been recommended this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/55uf860v/lg-55uf860v

the LG 55UF860V

It ticks all the boxes for me, which is 4k, 3D (passive), 55inch display. I can get a pretty good deal on it too.

I know this isn't the product recommendation thread but anyone got any input on this thing before i pull the trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If you're connecting it to a computer make sure it has displayport 1.2. Unless it has hdmi 2.0 hope you like 30hz. Without that it's not really futureproof.

Enjoy.