Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Drunk Badger posted:

Reading the details of Amazon Underground is interesting, looks like devs are paid by the minute when you keep an app open. Having not used it get myself, are they using ads or something else to generate that money?

I downloaded some random slots game on Underground just to see how the IAP worked and it is entirely free, but instead of just getting a million fake bucks, it's a timed bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If anyone have space in their city geektoxsa#42467

Also, they finally added portrait mode to Pacman-256, sweet

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Please add missyrabbit#77686 and rapnersa#32519 to goontown.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Khanstant posted:

Oh man, if that became the standard, think how much more tedious games will become.
Or the dev could make more level instead of making people quit playing it.

It would certainly discourage the enegy system that I loathe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rapner posted:

Please add missyrabbit#77686 and rapnersa#32519 to goontown.

I missed what game these invites are for, can someone explain?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I missed what game these invites are for, can someone explain?

Shop Heroes, a relatively fun game where you craft stuff and sell it to heroes while upgrading a town.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nyaa posted:

Or the dev could make more level instead of making people quit playing it.

It would certainly discourage the enegy system that I loathe.

Timer energy systems could just be replaced with minigame energy systems (play the refueling game to earn another token!). And let's throw some ads in the corner during the minigames. I don't think abusive app practices will end just by changing how developers earn penny shavings, because it seems like there are enough naive app users who won't stop playing, ever, even if a game required submission of their dental records and a blood sample.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mrkillboy posted:

Into the Void is a Homeworldy-looking spacefleet strategy RPG that hit the Play Store today. It looks quite cool.

edit: Lara Croft GO, the Hitman GO-inspired Tomb Raider game is also out now. Having had a quick play, the game looks loving amazing and it also has a real Monument Valley kind of vibe in terms of look and puzzles, but more challenging and with an actual chance of failure. I'm also glad to see the game hasn't completely abandoned the Hitman GO type puzzles either:

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

edit2: Critically acclaimed comic panel swapping puzzle game Framed is also out now.

Still working my way through Hitman Sniper, which is a blast, so I'm gonna wait on Lara Croft GO. But Framed is really good, especially for that price.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Onean posted:

They are if you download them. Surprisingly, if you don't download them you need to be connected to the internet in order to stream them. (I don't know what they're taking about, I've never had a problem with them once they're downloaded on my phone or PC.)
I've got a half-dozen albums downloaded to my phone and the last time I was camping up in the hills I wanted to play some music and it wouldn't play my own songs until I connected to the store - which I couldn't because I was out of service and had data turned off anyway.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Who if anyone is inviting to the goonvillage?

Or should we start a new one?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

coyo7e posted:

I've got a half-dozen albums downloaded to my phone and the last time I was camping up in the hills I wanted to play some music and it wouldn't play my own songs until I connected to the store - which I couldn't because I was out of service and had data turned off anyway.

I dunno then, maybe it's your device, it was added in an update or you didn't have the music downloaded. I'm certain I've played downloaded music in the past using both Amazon's music player and the default music app on my phone without WiFi or wireless, and I just now double checked turning both off and was still able to play my downloaded music with both Amazon's app and the default phone one. :shrug:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EvilElmo posted:

You should probably create a new one. City pop caps are really low.

Incedentally, any investing you do to the city follows you, so you're not hosed over if you need to switch cities or are kicked.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Deki posted:

You should probably create a new one. City pop caps are really low.

Incedentally, any investing you do to the city follows you, so you're not hosed over if you need to switch cities or are kicked.

Yeah this is good to know. I was holding off on investing anything into my city before I got my goon invite, but found it brought all my investments with me, so don't be afraid to upgrade your stuff in your starting city.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

EvilElmo posted:

There's an initial limit of 3 invites, and it goes up to apparently just a few more with upgrades, so I think there's going to be many goon hamlets. :btroll:
I'm going to invite whichever the first three I see above this post now to my low level village (as they're likely relatively new players).

There's a lot of things to buy and upgrade early on, and the heroes buying poo poo from your shop never really let up until you start building things that take a bit more time. Seems like early on you mainly want to focus on unlocking poo poo (and just reject all the requests for shoes/armor because you won't be able to make those for quite a while unless you spend money on a third worker - but you don't really need that stuff early because there's TONS of other items to unlock first anyway)

Going just from what I've seen since I started yesterday, it looks like you want to upgrade your show counter for more hearts (which lets you make money faster by boosting prices more often), and maybe your resource buckets as well (so you don't stall out while grinding items). Keep an eye on the levels of your workers and only upgrade your benches once their skill exceeds the bench level. Otherwise maybe increase the shop size a bit and start buying item racks for the weapon types you're selling (which are supposed to make them kick back hearts, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the short time I had a rack)
I haven't come anywhere near needing to increase my storage capacity yet, so I'd wait until you actually start capping your inventory before building/upgrading storage.

In your main town area you can upgrade buildings (which is why I think you want to get in with other people early so you don't waste cash when you merge... not sure if the game refunds or merges your town *apparently it does roll over according to the post above*) that unlock all sorts of things at each level (the slider on the bottom caps at the amount needed for the next level). Every time you invest in a building you get a timed buff and an immediate kickback. I haven't tested yet, but I think they scale based on the minimum investment level: So if the forge says it gives you 4 iron, and increases your iron rate for an hour when you invest 10 gold... then if you invest 50 gold it gives you 20 iron and increases your iron rate for 5 hours? Anyway, this is what you'll start using later on once your resource regeneration starts falling behind the more expensive items and hold up production. Someone made a comment earlier in the thread about not dumping all your cash in a building upgrade at once, and this is because you'll lose the extra immediate resources as you overfill your bins (and then when the building is a higher level, this starts causing the minimum increment to be overly expensive for lower level players).

The other reason you want to upgrade your buildings is they will cap the level of your workers. So your workers will stop leveling as they wait for their particular resource building to be leveled first (Weaponsmith will need the Forge leveled, etc). Leveling your workers lets you put point in "Mastery" for crit crafting better items, and also their base crafting skills for higher level items or something (hasn't become overly relevant yet in the early game other then maybe the Mastery levels).

For quests, keep an eye on the suggested power level of the quest (100 for the starting rat hunts) and keep their gear higher then that. Check out the skill unlocks and use the characters that give you useful bonuses first. Don't bother with the class quests until your dudes are above the rec gear level, as they'll just fail repeatedly and go on cooldown.

Anyway, seems neat, hopefully the above helps reduce the number of early things to keep track of.

Oh, also, it seems if you hit the "i"nfo icon on an item that a person is trying to buy, you can click a button to "disable" the item. This seems to stop them from trying to buy it in the first place, so is handy for preventing the heroes from clogging up your shop and wasting time with cheap poo poo (the rogue reallly likes my cheap daggers, even when disabled, but I think it's the only thing I can make that he can use at the moment). Don't be afraid to hit reject on stuff you can't build immediately, there's no appreciable delay and there's an overwhelming amount of other things to build and sell.

For the lazy

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 27, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This Amazon underground thing feels weird, I just 'spent' 200$ on IAP for Shadow Strike because I wanted to see what I could do with it. I upgraded the best drone, played a mission and deleted it because :effort:. Without the IAP train most of these games lose their luster and there is no urge on my behalf to play them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dodoman posted:

This Amazon underground thing feels weird, I just 'spent' 200$ on IAP for Shadow Strike because I wanted to see what I could do with it. I upgraded the best drone, played a mission and deleted it because :effort:. Without the IAP train most of these games lose their luster and there is no urge on my behalf to play them.
This is a good thing fyi

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would love if the Final Fantasy Portal was on Amazon Underground. The Triple Triad included in it is great, but the five matches every 3 hours unless you pay money blows.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is BlueStacks safe to use? It seems too good to be true / free.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Apparently that Walking Dead: Road to Survival is finally out of soft launch today.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Looking for an invite to the goon hamlet(s)

excidium#94343

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

sector_corrector posted:

Is BlueStacks safe to use? It seems too good to be true / free.
I've been using it and it's been fine so far with the underground app. You need a lot of ram to run some incompatible game though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Shop Heroes tip: you can buy a second (or third) copy of a resource bin to multiply the speed at which it regenerates. You might need to delete it way later on as you fill up with workstations and more resource types, but for the early game it's a huge boost to get double wood and iron.

Also compliment everyone every time. There are achievements for doing so that grant a ton of cash.

I can throw a few invites to my city after I kick a few inactives. I've got like 600k invested. Or just join Bridgopolis.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Shop Heroes tip: you can buy a second (or third) copy of a resource bin to multiply the speed at which it regenerates. You might need to delete it way later on as you fill up with workstations and more resource types, but for the early game it's a huge boost to get double wood and iron.

Also compliment everyone every time. There are achievements for doing so that grant a ton of cash.

I can throw a few invites to my city after I kick a few inactives. I've got like 600k invested. Or just join Bridgopolis.

Send an invite to largepotato#67961

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I should be able to accept invites now, so invite roid#34570 please! Thanks!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Account up top when you get room, just chilling in my 1 person town.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tormented posted:

Looking for an invite to the goon hamlet(s)

excidium#94343

Invited, we sort of exploded from 5 to 7 instantly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morpheus posted:

Shop Heroes, a relatively fun game where you craft stuff and sell it to heroes while upgrading a town.

Wait a sec, I asked about a Recettear-esque game a few days ago, and someone suggested something else. Is this 'build your own RPG shop' thing nothing like it? Or did the goon who answered me with some other game not know about it?

Maybe I have to go back and re-read.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

Apparently that Walking Dead: Road to Survival is finally out of soft launch today.
Weird, they took some serious liberties using characters from the comic yet also changed the main characters to be more recognizable from the show. I mean in the comic, Rick loses a hand because he kept rage-punching people into a pulp and he's clearly got two hands in this app - yet who'd recognize The Governor as the same dude from the show, without the blond hair (and I don't believe he ever put on Glen's SWAT armor in the show.)

I'm not hating on it, just an observation.

Onean posted:

I dunno then, maybe it's your device, it was added in an update or you didn't have the music downloaded. I'm certain I've played downloaded music in the past using both Amazon's music player and the default music app on my phone without WiFi or wireless, and I just now double checked turning both off and was still able to play my downloaded music with both Amazon's app and the default phone one. :shrug:
It was a while back, but it wouldn't let me access the music on my device because I wasn't able to log in to the amazon store, to be more specific (although kindle and audible both seemed to remember my credentials). They may have changed it but once bitten, twice shy.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 27, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait a sec, I asked about a Recettear-esque game a few days ago, and someone suggested something else. Is this 'build your own RPG shop' thing nothing like it? Or did the goon who answered me with some other game not know about it?

Maybe I have to go back and re-read.

Different game. Can't remember the Recettear-esque game that he recommended, but this isn't it.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rideon.sakaba_eng

Adventure Bar Story.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Different game. Can't remember the Recettear-esque game that he recommended, but this isn't it.

It was Adventure Bar Story IIRC.

nefb

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Didn't that walking dead game get patched in soft launch to be worse in some way to do with the IAP?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Being a white, 18-35 male that never goes anywhere outside of home and work, I didn't think I would make much with Google rewards, but I'm over $6 in just a few months..not bad!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

FadedReality posted:

Didn't that walking dead game get patched in soft launch to be worse in some way to do with the IAP?

That's what I had heard but after playing it a while it really doesn't seem any worse or better than any other game. It does seem kind of hard to progress at a certain point until you have at least some 2-Star or better characters of a certain attribute which just takes time to get since they're "made" rather than like a gatcha machine pull (though that's in there too)

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
So the fire worker button in Shop Heroes doesn't show up till you're 5 :downs: Anyone have room in their town? invite dankling#63414

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

and just reject all the requests for shoes/armor because you won't be able to make those for quite a while unless you spend money on a third worker

Not exactly!

You start the game with a Carpenter (Woodworking/Weaponcrafting) and a Blacksmith (Metalworking/Weaponcrafting). If you fire the Blacksmith and hire an Armorer (Metalworking/Armorcrafting) you can make armor/shields/boots for your warrior type heroes. Later when you finally get the 3rd slot you can pick up someone that will make armour for your other hero types.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I got space in my town. I got dankling and geektoxSA.

Who else wants an invite. Currently space for 2 more.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Lone Goat posted:

Not exactly!

You start the game with a Carpenter (Woodworking/Weaponcrafting) and a Blacksmith (Metalworking/Weaponcrafting). If you fire the Blacksmith and hire an Armorer (Metalworking/Armorcrafting) you can make armor/shields/boots for your warrior type heroes. Later when you finally get the 3rd slot you can pick up someone that will make armour for your other hero types.

Oh nice, I thought about that, but thought I'd lose access to metal weapons. Though it's not like I make many of those with any value in the early game (other then the hybrid hammers). Will do this next time I'm on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Oh nice, I thought about that, but thought I'd lose access to metal weapons. Though it's not like I make many of those with any value in the early game (other then the hybrid hammers). Will do this next time I'm on.

Nah, the metal weapons just care about the Weaponcrafting skill. Go Hog Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

I got space in my town. I got dankling and geektoxSA.

Who else wants an invite. Currently space for 2 more.

tatersalad#28866 plx