Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
DTRPG POD for Europe is pretty awesome, they have several printers all over Europe and will drop ship from the most cost effective location. For a couple of countries it was cheaper (and faster) for us to ship So77 to them than it was to ship domestically in the US.

Canada on the other hand sucks balls. It's super expensive to ship there and they have a tariff on books, which may or may not get charged to you or the customer.

The only places we had to ship ourselves were South Korea and Brazil. Brazil is apparently a postal nightmare, but fortunately my partner works with the postal service so he got the inside line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gnome7 posted:

Well poo poo, that sucks. I am glad DTRPG has printers in Europe, that will probably let me avoid this with my next KS. VAT is really loving up everything for every small time business in Europe real hard, huh.

The VAT mess is some of the most idiotic legislation to see the light of day this side of the Atlantic in quite some time.

Fortunately for small-timers like me: a) it doesn't apply to electronic files attached to email, so I can still buy art for my games from artists located wherever and b) if you supply your goods through a fulfillment company (like DTRPG) they get to deal with the VAT calculations, not you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm mailing dice to Canada from the US and it's gonna cost $10. To ship two dice. I'm claiming $0 value because lets be real here, it's two dice.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's not much better here in Canada. When I have to send a parcel Stateside, I'm often just as far ahead to use a full-blown courier service, as I am to use Canada Post. Politicians have been doing their best to inch us into selling the corporation off for years now.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

potatocubed posted:

The VAT mess is some of the most idiotic legislation to see the light of day this side of the Atlantic in quite some time.

Fortunately for small-timers like me: a) it doesn't apply to electronic files attached to email, so I can still buy art for my games from artists located wherever and b) if you supply your goods through a fulfillment company (like DTRPG) they get to deal with the VAT calculations, not you.

(bolding mine)

I regret to inform you that the new VAT rules absolutely do apply to electronic files attached to email, IF those files constitute a product. So it wouldn't apply to the art you commission for your games, but it would apply to your games themselves, if you send them through email after someone buys them. (Some services, such as Gumroad, will automatically take care of VAT for you.)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

inklesspen posted:

(bolding mine)

I regret to inform you that the new VAT rules absolutely do apply to electronic files attached to email, IF those files constitute a product. So it wouldn't apply to the art you commission for your games, but it would apply to your games themselves, if you send them through email after someone buys them. (Some services, such as Gumroad, will automatically take care of VAT for you.)

I thought it only covered automated delivery.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
From what I've been able to find it covers any scenario where you are selling the same digital item to multiple people. The tax man isn't usually interested in whether you sell things the easy way or the hard way, just in whether you're selling at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

On the one hand, good on Sanderson games for eating the not-inconsiderable cost, but on the other hand, Jesus that's a pretty hard pill to swallow. I doubt many people would be willing to meet them in the middle and help pay the costs, but they might as well try. A $50k hit sounds pretty terrible for what is a small time operation.

Yeah, he said that it was such a blow that they don't have enough money to actually produce the retail expansions for the game anymore. They are going to be running a "Part 2" KS with some extra stuff in order to get the capital to actually be able to afford retail production.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Shipping prices have nothing to do with American jingoism and everything to do with the American right forcing the US postal service to commit suicide so they can find an excuse to finish privatising it.

I mean, the issue is Reagan either way, but at least get it right. :v:
That isn't 100% true - yeah, the pension financing thing is bullshit, but international markets are to blame as well. Shipping from international to the US is also extremely expensive - a small flat rate box that ships for $6 here in the US costs me $25 to ship to Europe or Australia. For that you can blame a weak dollar and other countries' postal service fees. About the only cheap shipping option anymore is China to rest of the world, but that's because the Chinese government subsidizes it in an effort to increase international sales.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember buying a couple things of Legos from Poland, weighed about 3kg.

It cost 78 dollars to ship them to the US and took a month.

I won't claim to know a lot about international shipping, but it seems a bit hosed from my POV

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just bought dice from Poland and it only cost $6 and took about a week. (I know, I have an international dice habit)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

I just bought dice from Poland and it only cost $6 and took about a week. (I know, I have an international dice habit)

Yeah, but Captain Invictus bought like 7 lbs of dice - I'm sure your $6 order was a set of six or something.

I've ordered things from China that took three days to get to Connecticut (I still don't quite understand how that happened.) I sent three paintbrushes to a Goon in Australia, and they took two months to get to him. :iiam:

International shipping is crazy, period.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Basius 2.5 is up for anyone silly enough to have missed the Basius 2 project

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Oo, oo! Me! Me! I'm silly! I missed the original! How are these to use? I'm thinking of doing up some fantasy bases for Frostgrave/Mordheim.

EDIT: Looking at the results in the video they link to, seems that the final result is pretty blobby? It seems like it might be good for stone, but the wood planking or deck plating and other sharp detail pads, maybe not?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 28, 2015

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Man, I wish Basius2.5 wasn't a 16 day campaign. I'll probably still get another one, but just one.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are there any better pictures of some positive bases made with Basius? I appreciate their gallery of the molds but I would much rather see the positives than the negatives. I couldn't even tell the forrest mold was a forrest mold until I saw their bookend image with the names on them on the kickstarter page.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oo, oo! Me! Me! I'm silly! I missed the original! How are these to use? I'm thinking of doing up some fantasy bases for Frostgrave/Mordheim.

EDIT: Looking at the results in the video they link to, seems that the final result is pretty blobby? It seems like it might be good for stone, but the wood planking or deck plating and other sharp detail pads, maybe not?

They are extremely easy to use, I've tried them with greenstuff, milliput and air drying clay with good effect, though I don't receommend the clay. If you have steadier hands than I you'll get excellent detail and no fingerprints, and some good spatial sense will let you figure out where to build the greenstuff up the best to achieve multilevel bases with holes in them for pools of simulated water and stuff.

One photo from a recent update to the 2 project. I'm looking through some of my own photos to find something i haven't ruined with my terrible painting. I think like anything with this hobby, your own skill has a decent impact on the result.

These are some brand new WIP from the ruined side of the Battlezones pad, I think the're my best yet

You can definitely get detailed hard edges after some practice

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 28, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I recently found a small scale kickstarter for toad and stirge minis. The minis look really good, mostly finished, and he's casting all the frogs in house so hopefully he'll make the fulfillment date. No stretch goals or anything just pledging for giant toad miniatures and fantasy mosquito swarms.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Monolith Conan boardgame kickstarter's pledge manager is open, and will be open until September 26th. If you never pledged, you can still buy at kickstarter prices/get KS exclusives: https://monolith.pledgemanager.com/projects/conan/participate/

They've reiterated that KS exclusives won't be sold at retail, although excess stock may be available at special events. Most of the exclusives are in the form of model packs with the necessary rules cards; I don't see much that you couldn't proxy, and I expect the unit cards will be easy to get online. The sculpts do look very good, and I was pretty impressed with the game demo videos.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 28, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So having not pledged to the original kickstarter, what's the current status of the Conan game re: completion and shipping?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

occamsnailfile posted:

So having not pledged to the original kickstarter, what's the current status of the Conan game re: completion and shipping?

First half of 2016. Shipping depends on your location but is around 35 bucks.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

inklesspen posted:

(bolding mine)

ravenkult posted:

I thought it only covered automated delivery.

According to this flowchart put out by HMRC - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/415931/VAT_MOSS_Flow_chart_FSB_edit_V1_0.pdf - "merely communicating by email and sending attachments does not constitute digital services". It also specifies that the service has to be automated to count, like ravenkult said.

I could be wrong -- I'm not an accountant -- but it seems pretty clear from that.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

IT'S OVER! I shot the last picture for Thin Blue Line yesterday and now the book is done. John uploaded the full PDF to DriveThruRPG last night and it's now official, The Thin Blue Line is on sale. Now we just need to inspect and approve the printer copies for the POD options, which'll take a couple weeks, and everything will be complete. Not too shabby. If any of you goons backed us, I just wanted to say thanks. We couldn't have done it without you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan sent out an update that Last Stand 2 is still being worked on. This is still going to be her last RPG product, though; once this is done she's out for good.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mikan sent out an update that Last Stand 2 is still being worked on. This is still going to be her last RPG product, though; once this is done she's out for good.

I'll probably still buy it if it goes up for public sale. We did a one shot and my group still brings it up.

I don't understand the situation (don't really know what happened other than apparently people were being lovely to her), but I find it strange that you'd want to get out of the industry and still continue to work on a product for like an additional year.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Well, it is generally considered an obligation to produce the thing for which you took money on kickstarter, if you take money on kickstarter to produce a thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

inklesspen posted:

Well, it is generally considered an obligation to produce the thing for which you took money on kickstarter, if you take money on kickstarter to produce a thing.

Only if you have ethics.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Only if you have ethics.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I'm so glad I didn't put any money into that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

VoodooXT posted:

I'm so glad I didn't put any money into that.

Did he ever post about why he abandoned it, or did he just take the money and run?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In the case of Last Stand 2, I wonder if she considered trying to offer refunds. Maybe it was too late in the project for that to be feasible, but picturing a scenario in which this person has been bullied out of the industry but is still having to trudge through the project and deal with that baggage for like a year sounds pretty lovely.

That was kind of my line of thinking... Return the money and say "Sorry." But I don't really know poo poo about the situation so I won't try to speculate further.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Did he ever post about why he abandoned it, or did he just take the money and run?

Last I remember, he actually did try to make good on the Kickstarter and manufactured some, with a few people getting some of what they ordered. After that, the dude disappeared (both from Kickstarter and SA).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

VoodooXT posted:

Last I remember, he actually did try to make good on the Kickstarter and manufactured some, with a few people getting some of what they ordered. After that, the dude disappeared (both from Kickstarter and SA).

He didn't disappear from Kickstarter, just his own project page - he backed the stupid potato salad thing, and most recently the exploding kittens game

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

He didn't disappear from Kickstarter, just his own project page - he backed the stupid potato salad thing, and most recently the exploding kittens game

Well, knowing that now, it makes me feel a lot better that I didn't back Flying Assault Butts.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
I hadn't been able to post an update for a few months because my computer broke and I hate trying to read forums on my phone.

Garbage Day is live!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

I was going to pledge until I discovered that shipping wasn't included in the original price listings... which itself wouldn't be so bad except that the shipping price is more than half the product price for a single pad. :yikes:

I guess I just have to hope a US distributor starts carrying Basius at some point because otherwise I'll probably never be able to justify getting one.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I was going to pledge until I discovered that shipping wasn't included in the original price listings... which itself wouldn't be so bad except that the shipping price is more than half the product price for a single pad. :yikes:

I guess I just have to hope a US distributor starts carrying Basius at some point because otherwise I'll probably never be able to justify getting one.

Yeah, and at $40 per pad without shipping...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One kickstarter that's ending soon, another that just launched:

MetaDice are d6's that have numbers, Fate +/-, a 50/50 success/failure, and hit location on each side.

That's...neat? I guess? I mean, I get the idea but I don't think that's something I'd really need.

The Cloud Dungeon: D.I.Y. paper craft RPG looks like a neat game-with-your-kids deal. It's a one-use RPG where you pull stuff out of the book and color it or cut it up or make it into things as you play.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Mech Deck is live. I've been following the game casually for a while now as the team took it around to cons and things, posting some gameplay vids after the fact.

The basic premise is a hex based strategy combat game where you draft and build mechs. They have really nice interlocking pieces so you actually get to build the mech you draw the cards for and when your arm cannon or whatever gets blown off you can just remove the piece. Beyond that, the page can speak to it better than I can, but the game looks solid and seems to be getting some good buzz.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evil Mastermind posted:

MetaDice are d6's that have numbers, Fate +/-, a 50/50 success/failure, and hit location on each side.

That's...neat? I guess? I mean, I get the idea but I don't think that's something I'd really need.
Yeah, that seems pretty pointless. If I want to play fate with dice that are harder to parse than regular fate dice, I can just use regular d6s. If I want to generate a 50-50 chance of success, I can buy something to do that as cheaply as one penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty pointless. If I want to play fate with dice that are harder to parse than regular fate dice, I can just use regular d6s. If I want to generate a 50-50 chance of success, I can buy something to do that as cheaply as one penny.

The only thing I could really see these as useful for would be something like the FU system, where you roll 1d6 and use this chart:

1: No, but
2: No
3: No, and
4: Yes, but
5: Yes
6: Yes, and

Going by the samples the dice are set up like that, but still it has that "squeezing too much info" factor.

• Locked thread