Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

Catacombs could do with some standing floodlights. Having to identify Skrakes by shadow isn't going to be nice when the number of Firebugs levels back to normal.

Yea its way to loving dark as it is and the sirens blow out most of the lights, loving crawlers blend in so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psion posted:

I'm not 100% sure but the demo pistol might need a small buff, especially at low levels that thing is dishearteningly weak at times. It's not consistent though, which is ... odd. And at high levels it's never going to stand up to Hans or a big enemy. And I still can't make C4 work for me. So until/unless I can pack an M79 + RPG ... I dunno.

the level 20 perk choice is super ridiculous though. "have a piddling 10% for off-perk weapons" against "make all your demo weapons awesome-errrrrrr"

Yeah, the cluster launcher really does need a buff. Between it being unreliable, kinda week and how ammo-limited the Demo is it desperately needs some sort of buff. As is it feels like Demo just sits on his rear end, not doing any damage or earning experience until you see a big guy or a choice cluster It's really frustrating and boring, the antithesis of Firebug's running in and out while screaming "I'M DOING TINY BITS OF DAMAGE TO EEEVERYTHING!"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Demo needs its M4/M203 back IMO. The level 15 perk for Firebug is pretty loving amusing with the 50% chance to blow up things you kill. I had a Scrake blow up and take everything around him out, netted me like 100 xp.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Yea its way to loving dark as it is and the sirens blow out most of the lights, loving crawlers blend in so well.
I died to a loving crawler after microwaving two FPs and a Skrake :(

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Psion posted:

I'm not 100% sure but the demo pistol might need a small buff, especially at low levels that thing is dishearteningly weak at times. It's not consistent though, which is ... odd. And at high levels it's never going to stand up to Hans or a big enemy. And I still can't make C4 work for me. So until/unless I can pack an M79 + RPG ... I dunno.

the level 20 perk choice is super ridiculous though. "have a piddling 10% for off-perk weapons" against "make all your demo weapons awesome-errrrrrr"

Yeah, even as I'm steadily chipping at leveling up Demo- which feels faster for some reason, even on Normal- I must say it needs a buff somewhere. Probably higher ammo count first, though. And make the grenade pistol a bit better. I have no experience with anything past Normal, but I assume the extra health will kill my "kite then footshot at groups" strategy.

And, if it's not too much to ask, lower the Bloat's resistance a bit. Especially if it's gonna be Wave 1 or Wave 2 bloats.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Alteisen posted:

You can blame all those people who wanted dark maps. They got their wish.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Psion posted:

10% off-perk is pretty nice when you don't really need the other choice until FP's start showing up

it makes everything that's not the grenade pistol an even better starting choice

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

This is something I wish more games would model, really. Shotguns aren't the Elmer Fudd blunderbuss unless you put a ridiculous choke on them or shorten the barrel, but Quake 2 (or probably Doom 2) trained people to expect buckshot has a 90º sweep and it leads to ridiculous balance decisions like in CoD where the shot disappears after 20 feet.

If the Trench gun had a plume of flame or damaging muzzle flash to boost its close-range power that might work...? Maybe it gets better when you have Napalm/Shrapnel but I also see Caulk N Burn gaining more.

My observation of shotguns in video games is that they are either the most powerful weapon or the shittiest. There really isn't an in-between.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ruggington posted:

10% off-perk is pretty nice when you don't really need the other choice until FP's start showing up

it makes everything that's not the grenade pistol an even better starting choice

Or they could not do an incredibly lovely perk that de-emphasizes the reason you picked your class, I don't know.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

not using an off-perk weapon on demo is just asking to get hosed over

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly, the Grenade Pistol feels way too unreliable in the beta. M72 is cool, RPG is pretty ace, but its weight and specialized use make it more of a choice for fighting Hans. C4's purpose means it is pointless to get it before Fleshpounds show up, so Demo has to either get dual 9mms or an off perk weapon (Medic SMG is cool) to be useful before he can afford to jump to tier 3.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah, probably should ask this. Questioner, is all your feedback based on Normal difficulty only? Or does it span across every difficulty? And also, do you take boosters into consideration?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ruggington posted:

not using an off-perk weapon on demo is just asking to get hosed over

Well cool, I get 10% off in a game that rains money on you starting at about wave 5. After hitting level 20.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My observation of shotguns in video games is that they are either the most powerful weapon or the shittiest. There really isn't an in-between.
The best balance was in Battlefield Bad Company 2, I think. Everything was overpowered in some respect (Carl Gustav quad damage rockets, laser-accurate machine guns, infinite 40mm grenades, zero-sway sniper scopes) and shotguns were proper CQB monsters while having a slug sniper option. The 40mm shotgun round was hilarious because you essentially got a single shot "delete player" weapon.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well cool, I get 10% off in a game that rains money on you starting at about wave 5. After hitting level 20.

It's 10% extra off-perk damage friend

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, the Grenade Pistol feels way too unreliable in the beta. M72 is cool, RPG is pretty ace, but its weight and specialized use make it more of a choice for fighting Hans. C4's purpose means it is pointless to get it before Fleshpounds show up, so Demo has to either get dual 9mms or an off perk weapon (Medic SMG is cool) to be useful before he can afford to jump to tier 3.
Another downside to this is that (dual) 9mm's don't give you perk experience unless something was changed. Maybe I'm just thinking of Support where only shotguns count.

edit:VVV we had a level 20 demo and scoreboard leader alone against a Skrake, siren and some trash. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told him his odds but he somehow died to a Gorefast.

It's almost the reverse of the game at release now where Skrakes would inevitably get shredded by AA12 crossfire (or even a few good Double alt-fires) but no one had any idea what to do with Fleshpounds even after I screamed to dump grenades. Because everyone is trying out one of the two new perks and Berzerkers are having a much rougher go of things Skrakes have become game-enders.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 28, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
RPGs are not a good choice for hans, I've found. I also wonder when people realize that scrakes don't give a gently caress about explosions and RPGs. Yes, the last 4 RPGs didn't anger him, what makes you think you will be able to kill him when he does?

Demo is kinda in that weird area where he doesn't have much in the way of trash killing until his t3, which is his only real trash killer since the pistol is so inconsistent.
Switch the C4 and m79. Make C4 refills cheaper to compensate for the 1100 gate to entry.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Catacombs owns and the darkness is the best part. Get teammates or yourself to carry a flashlight!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ZearothK posted:

The main issue I've noted with the Grenade Pistol is that there is seemingly literally no splash damage. You can aim it at your feet or stand against a wall and take no damage. You can land shots next to Zeds and not hurt them at all. You seemingly need to land a projectile on a target in order to dish out any damage. Not exactly explosive. As a result, the first clot or two in a line ends up eating all the projectiles, so your ability to take out groups, as you might expect to do with explosives, is really reduced.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Did some more ADS with medic weapons. No one ever went below 50% health even on hans. Thanks for the tips. Man this game is fun.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Taffer posted:

Catacombs owns and the darkness is the best part. Get teammates or yourself to carry a flashlight!
As a Firebug I'm not terribly worried (even though I will never, ever touch Flare :lol: ) but Support only have a light on their starting weapon. AA12 rounds are too precious to pop off into darkness like I can with the Caulk which will inevitably hit at least a crawler.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I think the CnB could be a good tier 1 if it was a burst fire flamethrower: one click gets you X duration of fire, and there's no way to change that. Up the spread a bit, and give the Firebug a range perk earlier, too.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Inside Out Mom posted:

Did some more ADS with medic weapons. No one ever went below 50% health even on hans. Thanks for the tips. Man this game is fun.

You don't need to ADS. Just listen for the lock-on noise and fire away. The darts will seek out the person you aimed at if they're wounded, even from hipfire.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

As a Firebug I'm not terribly worried (even though I will never, ever touch Flare :lol: ) but Support only have a light on their starting weapon. AA12 rounds are too precious to pop off into darkness like I can with the Caulk which will inevitably hit at least a crawler.

Yeah not everyone is gonna have a flashlight. But if you have a medic and one other flashlight you can manage. It's spooky and that is awesome.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taffer posted:

Yeah not everyone is gonna have a flashlight. But if you have a medic and one other flashlight you can manage. It's spooky and that is awesome.

personally I don't like that, those kind of scenarios just lead to me getting stressed out as that's how my body processes long periods of dread and terror(part of the reason I never finished Dead Space 1 despite liking it for the most part)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

drrockso20 posted:

personally I don't like that, those kind of scenarios just lead to me getting stressed out as that's how my body processes long periods of dread and terror(part of the reason I never finished Dead Space 1 despite liking it for the most part)

Deadspace 1 was spooky? I just remember DS1 being "jumpscare theater". 2 was the one where they got some writers who could do more than just body horror and jump scares.

Anyways, I dunno if the lighting will get revamped but I'm pretty sure Catacombs is gonna get a bit of a revamp relatively quickly. Pubs have figured out there's a stairway they can camp and have all the enemies come at them from the front outside of a light dusting of clots and crawlers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
new character unlocked: ghost
http://i.imgur.com/e6gYpoM.gifv

also demo gets 3 bonuses on leveup, every other class gets like 4-6. Demo seems a bit weak. I suggest demo gets 1 point of weight capacity every 5 levels

c4/m79/rpg at level 25 would be both fun and good!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

new character unlocked: ghost
http://i.imgur.com/e6gYpoM.gifv

Does it have a Patrick Swayze voice pack?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Deadspace 1 was spooky? I just remember DS1 being "jumpscare theater". 2 was the one where they got some writers who could do more than just body horror and jump scares.

Anyways, I dunno if the lighting will get revamped but I'm pretty sure Catacombs is gonna get a bit of a revamp relatively quickly. Pubs have figured out there's a stairway they can camp and have all the enemies come at them from the front outside of a light dusting of clots and crawlers.

admittedly DS1 was mostly spooky due to it's ambient soundtrack, which would wear at my nerves after a half hour or so and make me a nervous wreck

also some people might crucify me for this, but I think the game would be better if Camping were actually a consistently viable tactic(at least until Scrakes and Fleshpounds start showing up), or at least get rid of teleporting completely for Zeds(unless they get stuck or there's only like 1-5 Zeds left and some of them are on the other side of the map, and even then they should be ported a reasonable distance away from anyone, and behind any doors that might be welded), it makes Welding completely pointless(I'm also of the opinion that making doors permanently breakable is also a terrible idea)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Honestly I'm just surprised that the Demo doesn't get a shotgun loaded with 12g frag rounds or something. I mean "yet another shotgun" is kinda silly but the demo desperately needs a trash killer for those moments between "Yay! Fleshpound! Hello juicy experience!" and "Hello giant horde!", but the cluster pistol doesn't really fill that role, at least not very well.

A few more level-up perks would be rather helpful as well though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Picking up a Lever Action Rifle on Wave 1 and using it throughout the entire game was like, KF1 ABCs. Picking up poo poo should definitely be a thing on wave 1. There's nothing that fills the LAR's slot just yet though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am a complete bitch for reacting to jump scares and 'something could pop out and hurt you at any given moment' games when early in them. Dead space 1, system shock 2, even doom 3. Then a switch just flips an hour or two in and I'm casually backhanding things popping out of air vents in front of my face. Resets per specific game.

While KF2 "things trying to murder me in the dark" or KF in general doesn't cause that for me, I can understand how when not used to it yet in any given game, "Monsters I can't see good are trying to eat my legs or chainsaw my face" to be more worrisome than usual. Particularly when until previously, the only area on any map that potentially dark was the entryways to the paris subway with all the lights broken (before you reach the glowsticks and emergency lights every 5 feet further in :v:)

On that last note, I wonder who was actually asking for DARKER maps? Mostly I saw people bitching that even reasonably lit enough to aim at anything areas even after all the lights were broken were "too dark to see".

The biggest risk to seeing Crawlers wasn't the darkness, it was "I adjusted my bodycount ini so they hide in all the twitching corpses". Which is much more :rock:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 28, 2015

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Put another barrel on the Demo T1 pistol. Over-under cluster bomb launcher. At the very least it'll diversify the arsenal from being a bunch of one-round-then-reload weapons.

I mean yeah it's another four weeks of dev time to model, animate, code, and test that poo poo but whatever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I'm just surprised that the Demo doesn't get a shotgun loaded with 12g frag rounds or something. I mean "yet another shotgun" is kinda silly but the demo desperately needs a trash killer for those moments between "Yay! Fleshpound! Hello juicy experience!" and "Hello giant horde!", but the cluster pistol doesn't really fill that role, at least not very well.

A few more level-up perks would be rather helpful as well though.

really if Demo needs a Trash removal weapon they should bring back either the Harpoon Launcher, or the Seeker Six Rocket Launcher, both are pretty good at that task since they both have large ammo pools

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Picking up a Lever Action Rifle on Wave 1 and using it throughout the entire game was like, KF1 ABCs. Picking up poo poo should definitely be a thing on wave 1. There's nothing that fills the LAR's slot just yet though.

Oh yeah, but in KF1 you were likely to get good weapons. Nothing extreme, but the LAR or hand cannon was the equivalent of a T2 or T3 weapon and incredibly solid even if it was off perk. Here though we get varmint rifles, heavy pump actions or krovels. Other kits starting gear. The LAR was only starting gear in KF1 after you ground out a few levels.

Honestly I'd like either we get no weapon drops in KF2 or we get T2 drops with the rare T3, then I'd seriously consider them something other than money pickups. Unfortunately that seems to go against Tripwire's current "vision".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Skoll posted:

Does it have a Patrick Swayze voice pack?

every time you say something it just whispers, quietly, "big belgian...."

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I'm just surprised that the Demo doesn't get a shotgun loaded with 12g frag rounds or something.

yes

ClonedPickle posted:

Put another barrel on the Demo T1 pistol. Over-under cluster bomb launcher. At the very least it'll diversify the arsenal from being a bunch of one-round-then-reload weapons.

I mean yeah it's another four weeks of dev time to model, animate, code, and test that poo poo but whatever

also yes

drrockso20 posted:

really if Demo needs a Trash removal weapon they should bring back either the Harpoon Launcher, or the Seeker Six Rocket Launcher, both are pretty good at that task since they both have large ammo pools

I never played KF1 but I like the idea of rockets and harpoons, so, yes

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

I never played KF1 but I like the idea of rockets and harpoons, so, yes

You poor man.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are Fleshpounds resistant to microwave? Much like the AA12 they're violating both the soft and hard rule of game weapon damage whereas I can reliably kill Hard+ Skrakes in a single mag.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Are Fleshpounds resistant to microwave? Much like the AA12 they're violating both the soft and hard rule of game weapon damage whereas I can reliably kill Hard+ Skrakes in a single mag.

I believe so. Fleshpounds seem to be weak to explosives yet resistant to fire, while Scrakes are the inverse (microwaves are so good against Scrakes) and Hans is super resistant to explosives while maybe only a little resistant to fire? I dunno. Maybe the Patriarch/Matriarch will be more vulnerable to explosive damage, but Demo is a surprisingly poor choice to bring to the Hans wave. According to the Commando on the team, putting all five of my dynamite into Hans (with the explode-on-contact perk) did about 10% of his health on his final healthbar on normal 5-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Time for a picture dump!

That motherfucker got some air time.

Can't see poo poo mode achieved, parrying scrakes in the dark is fun though.

The following pics are of how awesome the M.E.A.T system is.

Also had an amazing match with fellow goon toaster where I got cornered by hans and through double medic healing I managed to block him while they whittled away at him on his last phase, it was glorious. :allears: