Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SIX MONTHS? That's loving torture... I'd go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aaaaaaaaaa

I've wanted to experiment with a food dehydrator for awhile. A new Aldi opened on the other side of town, so we went to check it out, and they had their dehydrators on sale! Bought one, for it home, one of the trays is snapped :(

I was gonna dry some of my malabar spinach into chips. Boooo. Now I have to wait!

Also, wasn't there some also brand of like, cheese or something that's super good? The smoked gouda is okay, not very smoky though. Aged white cheddar (black wax) is pretty good too.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 27, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Last time I lost my senses of taste and smell it was almost 6 months before I got them back. Good luck my friend.

Yeah mine went just over two months. G'luck man.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
No sense of taste/smell for a few months sounds like a golden opportunity to shed a few pounds (if you have any extra to shed).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How are yall losing your taste / smell?

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh I know that veggies cause more food poisoning then meat.

I was just surprised by the 100% contamination, and the indestructible one.

Re the "indestructible one" it is not a bacteria. Staph aureus produces a toxin not destroyed by cooking but if the food is held at proper temps it can't reproduce quickly enough to create enough toxin to make you sick. This is not a "super bug" situation. Proper food handling reduces the risk incredibly.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 28, 2015

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

pile of brown posted:

Always be reading the tea party chapter from gravity ' rainbow

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NosmoKing posted:

Massive crop embargo due to food safety issues. Cryptosporidium IIRC.

oh wow.

this makes me feel a lot better. I literally last week complained to the customer service at a grocery store for the first time ever, because they had been out of cilantro the last 9 times I had gone to the store. I was really polite about it and just suggested they see if there was an ordering issue or something, girl was like 'i have no idea why we don't have cilantro'.

ugh

I haven't eaten any cilantro in like 3 weeks im goin' crazy over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We made some really good Vietnamese style salt cured limes, but other than making salty limeade or plopping them in cold gin I can't figure out what to with them. Besides drink lots of gin, of course.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm probably stuck on this because I'm still thinking about cilantro but

if preserved limes are anything like preserved lemons, I'd discard the pulp and julienne the rinds. you can use these to finish lots of pan roasted vegetables. I've done julienned preserved lemon rind with pan roasted sunchokes and potatoes, just tossed in the sautee with extra butter, a splash of chicken stock and parsley at the end. makes an interesting and tasty side dish.

so for limes, I pan sear brusselsprouts, top with cilantro and fried shallots, and make a nuoc chom dressing which is a super good dish. that could probably benefit from some salted lime rind? or other roasted green vegetables in a similar way? or think mexican snack style, maybe roasted nuts or fried chickpeas or something with chili powder and minced salted lime?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What the gently caress is cilantro?

Oh you mean coriander :smug:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

avocaaaaahdoooow
ceeeeelaaaaaaaaahntrooooow
saaaaaahlsaaaaaah

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's finally happened and been documented: http://imgur.com/e6dzLca

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm confused... is that a pressure cooker?
I don't see how one can of milk could make a kablooie that big.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
A case of cilantro used to cost me 12bux. Now that there's an embargo on Mexican cilantro its up to 35 a case.

This is almost as bad as last years lime shortage.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I'm probably stuck on this because I'm still thinking about cilantro but

if preserved limes are anything like preserved lemons, I'd discard the pulp and julienne the rinds. you can use these to finish lots of pan roasted vegetables. I've done julienned preserved lemon rind with pan roasted sunchokes and potatoes, just tossed in the sautee with extra butter, a splash of chicken stock and parsley at the end. makes an interesting and tasty side dish.

so for limes, I pan sear brusselsprouts, top with cilantro and fried shallots, and make a nuoc chom dressing which is a super good dish. that could probably benefit from some salted lime rind? or other roasted green vegetables in a similar way? or think mexican snack style, maybe roasted nuts or fried chickpeas or something with chili powder and minced salted lime?

These are good ideas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

It's finally happened and been documented: http://imgur.com/e6dzLca

He doesn't mention this, but I'm sure the pan boiled dry first. The water regulates how hot the can gets, but once it's gone all bets are off.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Squashy Nipples posted:

If the water boils off leaving the can exposed to air instead of dulce de leche you get a big fuckin' boom. I didn't do well enough in thermodynamics to explain it beyond that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

In a sense...yes. For one time use, and with a rather poor set of safety mechanisms.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Steam under pressure is a hell of a thing. It can drive a steel train, an armoured warship, even an entire industrial revolution.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, my undergrad degree was in mechanical engineering, and I did really well in Thermo.

I just didn't realize that your average food canister was so well made; I would have expected a seam to burst or some other slightly less destructive outcome.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Force de Fappe posted:

Steam under pressure is a hell of a thing. It can drive a steel train, an armoured warship, even an entire industrial revolution.

Kaabloooey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbreKn4PoAc

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What other sausages would work similarly to pepperoni? i.e. can be sliced thinly, placed on a pizza, crisp up nicely and maybe cup and char around the edges.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Salami

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Anything. Peperoni sausage is pretty boring stuff really. A good cured salami makes it so much better.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
The obvious answer is British Christmas pudding.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sorry we're doing sausage fest instead...

Boudain blanc.

Nah seriously - any salame will do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

The obvious answer is British Christmas pudding.

This makes me wonder about black pudding as a pizza topping...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

This makes me wonder about black pudding as a pizza topping...

With egg, please. Maybe some mushrooms and fresh tomato. Beans on the side.

I'm serious about this.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cannelini beans cooked in wine, tomato and rosemary. Scattered over at the end.

Would not.

Because I cannot taste any loving thing and ecaøowijcl<isuc

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The Turkish bakery up the road has started selling pizza slices. I bought two veg on the way back from the gym earlier. Thickly packed with butter-soft sautéed leeks, crispy toasted cauliflower and broccoli florets, peppers, mushrooms, and a thick coat of kashar cheese over a crusty base. It must've been delicious. At least it felt that way. I'm going mad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sounds like you should just start consuming soylent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We made some really good Vietnamese style salt cured limes, but other than making salty limeade or plopping them in cold gin I can't figure out what to with them. Besides drink lots of gin, of course.

I think you found the solution.

Also how are some of you losing your sense of taste? What is happening?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it started with a cold. I think I actually got my sense of smell back before taste, but still really sucks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I'm serious about this.

I do that for breakfast sometimes. Well, I can't always get British style black pudding, so I use morcilla instead, but same same. Really good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

bartolimu posted:

I'm serious about this.

Cheese suggestions? A full English breakfast pizza is exactly something that I need to try.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

Cannelini beans cooked in wine, tomato and rosemary. Scattered over at the end.

Would not.

Because I cannot taste any loving thing and ecaøowijcl<isuc

Sorry about your defective sensory organs :(

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I cooked channa daal for supper yesterday. I used nearly two full tablespoons of turmeric and an inch of ginger to boil with it, and nearly a whole bulb of garlic, a teaspoon of hing, six dried chilies and two tablespoons of cumin seeds in the tadka. Nothing.

At least it's a way to lose weight.

:(

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Have you tried Bronkaid? That and a Netipot works every time for me

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Force de Fappe posted:

ecaøowijcl<isuc

Gesundheit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Cheese suggestions? A full English breakfast pizza is exactly something that I need to try.

Chevre is my favorite. Keep away from greasy things or it's a bit overwhelming.