Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is Kamen Rider Kabuto any good? The suit designs seem really nice and sleek looking. Also does it have good subs anywhere.

In Kamen Rider Kabuto you get the second coming of The Ego.

And it's a Beetle again.

And then you get Big Bad Beetle Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is Kamen Rider Kabuto any good? The suit designs seem really nice and sleek looking. Also does it have good subs anywhere.

Kabuto has the rare good dub somewhere on the internets.

Well I mean. A pretty decent dub at least.

As far as Kabuto goes, the suit designs are fantastic. The story is, much like most of Heisei Rider before Double, God awful especially at the end.

Kamen Rider really has a hard time ending things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kabuto is good and then the lead actress got deathly ill so the narrative broke down and we have 20 episode of the best most horseshit goofy nonsense the franchise has ever seen.

It also has two protagonist, one is your typical "I wanna help people" character arc and the other is the smuggest motherfucker on the planet who is so hilariously over the top. It also has some of the best/goofiest side cast in there series and every Rider in the show is an absolute treasure. Especially the Hopper Bros.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Kabuto; Great Suits, good fights, some beautiful Cinematography, but the story and characters are abominable. (and so are the subs, which don't help)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is it at least Plan 9 or The Room bad?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is it at least Plan 9 or The Room bad?

Boop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sul_G0WNJk

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kabuto is good and then the lead actress got deathly ill so the narrative broke down and we have 20 episode of the best most horseshit goofy nonsense the franchise has ever seen.

It also has two protagonist, one is your typical "I wanna help people" character arc and the other is the smuggest motherfucker on the planet who is so hilariously over the top. It also has some of the best/goofiest side cast in there series and every Rider in the show is an absolute treasure. Especially the Hopper Bros.

I always wondered what happened here. Right in the middle of a pretty serious arc, the show is suddenly like, "What if Tendou and everybody had an Iron Chef competition with a giant mosquito"

Hopper Bros are definitely great, though. Just two manly dudes, talkin about their feelings :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
A fun fact about the actor who played Tendou in Kabuto, his wife got similarly sick and he took off a couple years from acting to take care of her at home. :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

this is an okay dub

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
That's what I thought as I was looking at it, I was thinking it seems fine enough to watch. Especially if those are the 'worst' parts.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

the other is the smuggest motherfucker on the planet who is so hilariously over the top.

I have no proof backing this up, but I heard Tendou was writers trying to take the piss out of Inoue by writing a character who embodied what a jerk he was. Then Inoue came in and wrote episodes and talked about how Tendou was really cool.

Or I completely misremembered that story.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Stallion Cabana posted:

That's what I thought as I was looking at it, I was thinking it seems fine enough to watch. Especially if those are the 'worst' parts.

It's certainly better than watching TV-N

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kabuto has amazing suits, great characters and everyone should definitely watch it. Even though personally I hated Tendou's character and thought it ruined the show, there's still a lot of goof stuff that shines through and shouldn't be missed.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
The real answer is of course; You watch it for yourself and decide, even the really terrible one. You don't have to watch all of a series, just like, 10 episodes or so. You'll know if it's to your tastes by that point, and can either move on or keep watching.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
at the very least people should watch God Speed Love, as it's great movie

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

at the very least people should watch God Speed Love, as it's great movie

It also helps explain exactly why Tendou is so ahead of the game/smug during the main series.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Potsticker posted:

Kabuto has amazing suits, great characters and everyone should definitely watch it. Even though personally I hated Tendou's character and thought it ruined the show, there's still a lot of goof stuff that shines through and shouldn't be missed.

I enjoyed Tendou's character mainly because he was basically a tribute band to the original Beetle Rider, Stronger. Who was ALSO the smuggest bastard on the planet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gearhead posted:

I enjoyed Tendou's character mainly because he was basically a tribute band to the original Beetle Rider, Stronger. Who was ALSO the smuggest bastard on the planet.

Yeah though Stronger grew to have a strong appreciation for Tackle as his series went on, and after she died taking down Doctor Kate, he was never quite the same.

Stronger, for all of his bombast, was very human in the end.

Just a hell of an amazing one.

Stronger also had to fight enemies equal to him and STRONGER than him all the goddamn time. The whole reason why Tackle had to kill Doctor Kate was because Doctor Kate was too dangerous for Stronger to fight and she knew it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gearhead posted:

Fang Joker always confused the Hell out of me, really. Both Double and O's had forms that, by all pomp and circumstance, could've been 'final' forms, but turned out to not be. Fang Joker being overshadowed by Extreme and PuToTyra being overshadowed by TaJaDor, which was introduced BEFORE PuToTyra, making it in effect a crossgrade.. except in how it was essential in opening up the last fight as winnable.

My favorite goofy fan theory about OOO is that the power of a combination is determined by how many times the belt says its name when he transforms. Tajador and Putotyra both say their name only once, so they're both about as strong as the other, but Putotyra is super effective against Greeds and Yummys and Tajador isn't.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gearhead posted:

All Tendou really required was some humanizing moments, really. I mean, Tsukasa was also smug in sort of the same vein but the universe wasn't always circling around him demanding that the other characters must worship him or be thrust into hell.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Potsticker posted:

All Tendou really required was some humanizing moments, really. I mean, Tsukasa was also smug in sort of the same vein but the universe wasn't always circling around him demanding that the other characters must worship him or be thrust into hell.

Tendou had plenty of humanizing moments, like every goddamn interaction with his friends and family. Also, nobody worshiped him.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Akett posted:

Tendou had plenty of humanizing moments, like every goddamn interaction with his friends and family. Also, nobody worshiped him.

Also, Tendou was canonically The Best. My favorite is when stuff happened that was really shocking, and like a huge surprise to the other characters, and Tendou was just there taking point, all "I saw this coming from like 3 episodes ago"

He was Kamen Rider Batman, dead parents and everything, and it was all pretty glorious.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Akett posted:

Tendou was perfect and absolute in everything and anyone who disagreed or opposed him in any fashion was killed, humiliated, or humbled. He never struggled or had doubt about what he was doing. He wasn't even good as a role model or ideal since it wasn't his beliefs or convictions that made him this way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Fang Joker always confused the Hell out of me, really. Both Double and O's had forms that, by all pomp and circumstance, could've been 'final' forms, but turned out to not be. Fang Joker being overshadowed by Extreme and PuToTyra being overshadowed by TaJaDor, which was introduced BEFORE PuToTyra, making it in effect a crossgrade.. except in how it was essential in opening up the last fight as winnable.

Fang Joker isn't a final form. It's a sidegrade. The entire point of it is that it gets around one of W's weaknesses (Shotaro transforms, Philip faints" by reversing it and allowing Philip to transform. It's effectively another transformation that has a distinct purpose.

That, to me, is why W's form change gimmick was better than anything since. Every form has a distinct purpose. Since it basically amounted to Fist/Staff/Gun and Fire/Metal/Luna they could make each form have a distinct use so you knew exactly why he was form-swapping and what it was for. Fire was useful against heavily armored foes, Metal was defensive, Cyclone was speed, and naturally Fist/Staff/Gun each had their own advantages/disadvantages. Then you had Fang which lacked the flexibility but could be used by Philip instead of Shotaro.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Luna Joker is my favorite because the maximum drive attack is called Joker Strange

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kabuto without the production problems is probably the second-biggest what-if in the Heisei lineup.

Granted, what we got was hilarious, but I'm still disappointed that the show promised one thing and delivered another.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would love to have a novel or something with Hibiki's original intended plot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if the lead actress of Wizard could actually film a TV show?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rinko seemed to do just fine as a tv actress???

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Oh god, I just got to Ankh's birthday party. :allears: My kingdom for gifs of that whole sequence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so I'm watching through Drive with my younger sister(she's 12), and we're at episode 5, and I'm trying to remember when should all the various little specials and the movies be watched again, want do it correctly

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

drrockso20 posted:

so I'm watching through Drive with my younger sister(she's 12), and we're at episode 5, and I'm trying to remember when should all the various little specials and the movies be watched again, want do it correctly

The amount of specials Drive has is absurd.

Type TV-Kun (Hunter/Monster) is between 4 & 5.

Drive/Gaim Movie War is between 9 & 10.

Type ZERO is just that, episode 0. It was given out as a bonus for attending Drive/Gaim, so anytime after 9 is fine.

Type High Speed (Fake Drive) is between 13 & 14.

The Ninninger special, #3 movie (no DVD yet) and the #4 specials are all between 22 & 23.

Type Tokujo's first episode is between 24 & 25. :shrug: on 2

Surprise Future (out now in theaters, so no DVD for a while) is between 40 & 41.

Still to be released: episodes 3 and 4 of Tokujo and Type Lupin.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Tendou was perfect and absolute in everything and anyone who disagreed or opposed him in any fashion was killed, humiliated, or humbled. He never struggled or had doubt about what he was doing. He wasn't even good as a role model or ideal since it wasn't his beliefs or convictions that made him this way.

Except Kagami, the other protagonist who struggles with trying to befriend Tendou, but spends most of his time going straight against him. From Gatack onward it's at best a begrudging respect for him since he does seem to be one step ahead over ZECT and is generally on the side of not being a monstrous dick like the antagonists. He's a dick in petty, interpersonal ways, but he does go out of his way to help/save people, which is why Kagami puts up with his poo poo.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Except Kagami, the other protagonist who struggles with trying to befriend Tendou, but spends most of his time going straight against him. From Gatack onward it's at best a begrudging respect for him since he does seem to be one step ahead over ZECT and is generally on the side of not being a monstrous dick like the antagonists. He's a dick in petty, interpersonal ways, but he does go out of his way to help/save people, which is why Kagami puts up with his poo poo.

Kagami doesn't even get Gatack until halfway through (at least episode 20) the show! And even then that "begrudging respect" is just Tendou accepting that Kagami finally has a power where he can fight with Tendou.

And I guess all the other riders are antagonists because he's a massive shitheel to Tsurugi, Drake (whose name I seem to have forgotten for the moment. Gou was the little girl, right?) and both Yaguruma and Kageyama right from the get go.

So, if you're point is that Tendou does have a character flaw and it's his terrible social skills, I'll grant you that. But he isn't impeeded by this flaw in any way and neither does he learn or grow from it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Kabuto without the production problems is probably the second-biggest what-if in the Heisei lineup.

Granted, what we got was hilarious, but I'm still disappointed that the show promised one thing and delivered another.

Production problems? This is the first I've heard of that, what about Kabuto's plot ended up getting changed and what was going to happen originally?

Silver95280 posted:

The amount of specials Drive has is absurd.

Type TV-Kun (Hunter/Monster) is between 4 & 5.

Drive/Gaim Movie War is between 9 & 10.

Type ZERO is just that, episode 0. It was given out as a bonus for attending Drive/Gaim, so anytime after 9 is fine.

Type High Speed (Fake Drive) is between 13 & 14.

The Ninninger special, #3 movie (no DVD yet) and the #4 specials are all between 22 & 23.

Type Tokujo's first episode is between 24 & 25. :shrug: on 2

Surprise Future (out now in theaters, so no DVD for a while) is between 40 & 41.

Still to be released: episodes 3 and 4 of Tokujo and Type Lupin.

The Kamen Rider 3 movie has in fact been released on DVD and has been subbed by a group called Orange Lion Subs (The same group that first subbed the Gaim Gaiden films).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 29, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The biggest what if still remains "What if Fujioka never broke his leg?"

Just imagine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

The biggest what if still remains "What if Fujioka never broke his leg?"

Just imagine.

Show might have gotten cancelled.

Kamen Rider was not doing very well before the actor broke his leg, and for good reason. It was a super low budget show that didn't know exactly what it was doing, going up against an established franchise that had much higher production values and much better early episodes.

They realized how to re-invent the show after he broke his leg, making Rider more colorful and things more bombastic and the action got better and the monsters got better. The show did need a serious shake up, and losing the lead actor forced that.

I'd like to think Kamen Rider could have gone forwards with just Fujioka though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Kagami doesn't even get Gatack until halfway through (at least episode 20) the show! And even then that "begrudging respect" is just Tendou accepting that Kagami finally has a power where he can fight with Tendou.

And I guess all the other riders are antagonists because he's a massive shitheel to Tsurugi, Drake (whose name I seem to have forgotten for the moment. Gou was the little girl, right?) and both Yaguruma and Kageyama right from the get go.

So, if you're point is that Tendou does have a character flaw and it's his terrible social skills, I'll grant you that. But he isn't impeeded by this flaw in any way and neither does he learn or grow from it.

The respect thing I was talking about was how Kagami felt about Tendou. My point was that Kagami spends the entire show butting heads against Tendou and at worst he gets a slap on the wrist. Hell, more often than not he's rewarded for it. Pre-Gatack Kagami spends most of hist time annoyed at Tendou or aggravated that he has put up with him. Around the Second TheBee arc Kagami has to wrestle with giving up power so Kabuto can continue to do the good work he does or fighting him for lovely pointless reasons. That's the worst he's ever really 'punished' for not worshiping Tendou and it's not even really a punishment as it is a stepping stone in Kagami's development ('Hero willing to sacrifice his own gratification for the greater good' kind of deal).

And he's a massive shitheel to Tsurugi because they're both massive smug fancy lads who think they're the best, at least when Sasword was first introduced. Of COURSE they're going to grind each others gears. And besides the goofy competitions I don't remember him being too much of a dick to Drake? In fact my least fuzzy memory of Drake is the episode TheBee3 was hunting him and Kabuto was the one to help out. They had that kick rear end fight in that outdoor theatre that was in Kabuto-Double shows a lot.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So I've gotten pretty far into Gaim at this point; and at this point while I like it there are some weird things about it. I loving love the suits and stuff, most of the drama is fairly good, and this is a much higher level of 'we're super hosed' then most other Kamen Riders I've seen. Redue isn't quite as pure unceasing evil as Banno but she's very close.

The only really weird feeling I have about this show involves Kouta and Sagara, actually. Sagara is constantly talking about how he wants the competition to be fair and even admonishes Rosyuo that he isn't playing fair, but Sagara only ever seems to help Kouta.

It makes it hard to keep the suspension of disbelief that this is still a contest when the only person getting advantages is the protagonist.

The only other weird thing about this show is how reluctant Kouta is to actually use his upgrades; even when fighting Overlords he's like 'we should start in Triumphant instead of Zenith'. It makes the actual fights seem weird because it'll be the something like 'I'm getting kind of owned for awhile, then switch to Zenith and immediately super kick rear end.'; he does this sometimes with just normal Orange arms too, and did it constantly with the Jimber stuff. It's very weird.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I've gotten pretty far into Gaim at this point; and at this point while I like it there are some weird things about it. I loving love the suits and stuff, most of the drama is fairly good, and this is a much higher level of 'we're super hosed' then most other Kamen Riders I've seen. Redue isn't quite as pure unceasing evil as Banno but she's very close.

The only really weird feeling I have about this show involves Kouta and Sagara, actually. Sagara is constantly talking about how he wants the competition to be fair and even admonishes Rosyuo that he isn't playing fair, but Sagara only ever seems to help Kouta.

It makes it hard to keep the suspension of disbelief that this is still a contest when the only person getting advantages is the protagonist.

The only other weird thing about this show is how reluctant Kouta is to actually use his upgrades; even when fighting Overlords he's like 'we should start in Triumphant instead of Zenith'. It makes the actual fights seem weird because it'll be the something like 'I'm getting kind of owned for awhile, then switch to Zenith and immediately super kick rear end.'; he does this sometimes with just normal Orange arms too, and did it constantly with the Jimber stuff. It's very weird.

The fight scenes of Gaim get kind of bad and he shouldn't have gotten Zenith until near the end of the series. You'll be able to spot the exact moment it'd make sense for him to HAVE gotten it, like, 10 episodes after he actually did.

And Sagara is this whole thing.

• Locked thread