Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Thoguh posted:

Manufacturing Engineering jobs maybe? You'd be up and on the floor a lot. But the work would be a lot of process stuff vs. design.

My first internship was as a MfgE. We walked around a little bit but it was mostly sitting in a cubicle processing build plan changes and managing non-conformance events where someone drilled a hole too deep.

It seems like Tooling/Equipment Engineers walk around -a lot-. I hit 10,000 steps on my pedometer app most days. Someone needs a new piece of equipment so I have to track them down, watch them work, and then scurry off to figure out an answer. I also have to constantly track down damaged pieces of equipment to figure out how to fix it or if it should be scrapped. There's also the fairly constant requests to do safety walks of basically everything that has ever existed, ever. I'm pulled away from my desk by some event every few hours.

I really enjoy it, honestly. My customer is the technician that I am delivering a better solution to and it's not in the form of some nebulous build plan optimization that a time study said was 1% more efficient. I get to pick up (or sit on) a new piece of equipment that'll hopefully make it easier to do something.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Oodles posted:

What country are you looking in?

USA, Texas specifically.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

notZaar posted:

Does anybody have advice for an ME looking for a job that actually requires moving around and using the body instead of just sitting in an office all day? I have a BS and MS in ME and right now I work doing CFD in a machine building company and it's starting to drive me a little nuts. Just sitting around all day is boring as hell.

Thoguh posted:

Manufacturing Engineering jobs maybe? You'd be up and on the floor a lot. But the work would be a lot of process stuff vs. design.

This. I worked in R&D CNC machining and surface finishing as a manufacturing engineer for a very large tech company. While I ended up wanting the opposite of what you want, that job will have you running around all day trying to get things done with the end result being something you made with your hands and smarts. Prepare to take a pay cut unless you move somewhere more expensive. Capable CFD engineers aren't a dime a dozen but manufacturing engineers are not too uncommon.

Alternate answer: Work for a small company that has process and quality problems. Read everything you can about Design of Experiments and learn a software like minitab or JMP. Also learn how to make an awesome presentation and to quantify process improvements since youll need to convince the owner to spend money to make the process better.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

notZaar posted:

Does anybody have advice for an ME looking for a job that actually requires moving around and using the body instead of just sitting in an office all day? I have a BS and MS in ME and right now I work doing CFD in a machine building company and it's starting to drive me a little nuts. Just sitting around all day is boring as hell.

If you don't mind travel and are mechanically inclined field service can be good. If you don't mind working more as a tech, power plants and buildings are always looking for people. In SF, base rate for the
IUOE is $50/hr with basically platinum benefits for babysitting a building, changing the thermostat. Most of my classmates that wanted to stay local went that route.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

notZaar posted:

I would fish around your company to see if there's opportunities for more hands on work or cross-training opportunity.

Just about any type of engineer can learn important lessons by working on the floor doing things such as product testing, fabrication or quality assurance.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lightpole posted:

If you don't mind travel and are mechanically inclined field service can be good. If you don't mind working more as a tech, power plants and buildings are always looking for people. In SF, base rate for the
IUOE is $50/hr with basically platinum benefits for babysitting a building, changing the thermostat. Most of my classmates that wanted to stay local went that route.

Just a heads up because I'm a bit of an evangelist about this. I lived in SF and in the valley. This will afford you a decent apartment with someone else or a very small apartment to yourself. You will not own a home on this wage. This is comparable to roughly $60k/yr in most of the no-income-tax southern states like Florida.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CarForumPoster posted:

Just a heads up because I'm a bit of an evangelist about this. I lived in SF and in the valley. This will afford you a decent apartment with someone else or a very small apartment to yourself. You will not own a home on this wage. This is comparable to roughly $60k/yr in most of the no-income-tax southern states like Florida.

$50/hr is $100k/year base. Add in differential, OT, whatever else and your base usually starts around $120k right out of school without even bringing up benefits. Costs of living, especially rent in the last several years, is very high but the numbers I'm quoting came from the last time I worked shoreside in 2009 and that contract had a 5% raise a year so it's probably much higher. Also, those numbers are at or above the median household income and you get to live in or near SF instead of the middle of nowhere.

If you want to live in the middle of nowhere, field service can get you six digits but you would have to travel.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

T5YGvsjPpQ55AvZkWz4p
ZmXv6qtdQiNEeVLfb7kG
ckrwvrVCvjghVQIOZKOH
XsX4zV10p9VcDQoaaCBX
AYUqWq6vNHZP6Bu4zNFc
OhrNQ33pkvA4yKDcbKfd
dJkHrsJyBJJeOGQrF9xf
ZVZOqXkaiyJTy9a5snWR
7ke6ORugfT3uJVnhFVXF
Gy6hD8IQtGSTRuqerCCw

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 27, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Zero Gravitas posted:

Start new job last Tuesday, internationally known, multiple fatality plane crash on Saturday at the same airfield. :smith:

Was it that air show crash, or would you rather not say?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

The Chairman posted:

Was it that air show crash, or would you rather not say?

Jesus Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvHplYmh2f8

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

Start new job last Tuesday, internationally known, multiple fatality plane crash on Saturday at the same airfield. :smith:

Looking at your last posts, it seem you went for a walkabout through the hangers as well. Did you see the plane that crashed?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I so did not want to see that.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
I don't know if my situation is worth making a new thread over but I was wondering if any of you would be able to hep me. I'm a 3rd year undergrad, 2 years to go. I'm studying electrical engineering but I'm like 51% sure I want to steer towards a career in trading (other 49% is a mix between staying in EE and breaking into mobile app development). What are my chances of getting a career in trading (derivatives trading, etc) by the time I graduate?

I'm not in a top 100 school but I do live in a big city, have a 3.4 gpa, hold a couple officer positions in clubs, held a part time job since high school, and was an engineering intern at a small product development company this summer. I figure best case scenario I get a trading internship for next summer. Thoughts?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Between your two choices that have nothing in common (mobile app development, financial trading), and your major (EE), it seems like you just want to do whatever gets the megabuxxs. Is one of the places you want to intern for Deloitte?

Of these three, which do you like to do in your free time just for fun? Have you ever taken a well reasoned minimization problem solved in a paper and done the mathematical work to take it from notation to implementable algorithm?

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
In my free time that would have to be coding. Whenever I would prepare to code something and I thought of something on the spot I'd write a bunch of code on paper first. I also just started writing mobile apps (Android). I've a couple decent ideas for apps I want, drew out the basics, etc and am working through tutorials at the moment.

For trading, no I haven't done it in my spare time so I know it's a stretch, but I do have an EE friend that is on his second trading internship now and another that graduated that does it in his spare time (turned $5k to $20k in a year) so it's always interesting to me when he talks about it. It's not necessarily about the money but more the culture. I like fast paced work environments.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ae1h6jGe5nZxkRWwmqm4
FL5rCT6Y9v9Zkr778gQ5
oE6bivaJtfW3xPV7YHhK
DFIEGPoajESmbvGyT55i
YcIQJqYczommR2cnXKF4
6dSFbsX3NYkEAvtUQnEJ
PqVIL2SaXMkRyHCt1oXG
D4DoFTr5YWjk15FMi4Pj
Eu1CEI1Yhoqh86azAQ1D
G4Hd6UC81DxYoxVj3pZg

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 27, 2023

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Well my real aspirations are to be a professional poker player.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Dangerous Mind posted:

I don't know if my situation is worth making a new thread over but I was wondering if any of you would be able to hep me. I'm a 3rd year undergrad, 2 years to go. I'm studying electrical engineering but I'm like 51% sure I want to steer towards a career in trading (other 49% is a mix between staying in EE and breaking into mobile app development). What are my chances of getting a career in trading (derivatives trading, etc) by the time I graduate?

I'm not in a top 100 school but I do live in a big city, have a 3.4 gpa, hold a couple officer positions in clubs, held a part time job since high school, and was an engineering intern at a small product development company this summer. I figure best case scenario I get a trading internship for next summer. Thoughts?

Let's get this out of the way: With a GPA that low at a not top-100 school, you are almost certainly not going into trading.

If you've actually written some mobile apps, then you have a shot at getting into that field. If that's the case though, you should probably start networking in that direction ASAP. Computer Science has become an extremely bloated field over the last few years, and you're competing with tons of them since that field is very attractive to other college kids. This thread would be a better place to learn more about that path.

Dangerous Mind posted:

It's not necessarily about the money but more the culture. I like fast paced work environments.

Have you thought about going into manufacturing? It's not as sexy, but it can definitely be fast paced.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
It's like 25$ for a developer account on the Google Play store.

There is absolutely nothing keeping you from publishing apps ~right now~.

If you want to do it then just do it. It's a pretty hard field to break into.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lightpole posted:

$50/hr is $100k/year base. Add in differential, OT, whatever else and your base usually starts around $120k right out of school without even bringing up benefits. Costs of living, especially rent in the last several years, is very high but the numbers I'm quoting came from the last time I worked shoreside in 2009 and that contract had a 5% raise a year so it's probably much higher. Also, those numbers are at or above the median household income and you get to live in or near SF instead of the middle of nowhere.

If you want to live in the middle of nowhere, field service can get you six digits but you would have to travel.

I did the math and you just described my life and displayed all the things I didnt appreciate about the reality of moving there. Good luck getting OT in the tech industry dense bay area. I lived there (Redwood City) last year and have a higher standard of living now in the space coast of Florida at 75% of the same base salary and comparable benefits. My bank account is going up faster. My retirement account about the same though my new company is 3 years to vest salary matching versus instantly in SF which is lame.

My 400 sq ft apartment: $1650/mo
Utilities without AC: $75 for electricity, $150 for water and garbage.
Dont forget state income tax.
Dont forget gas is more expensive
Dont forget everything else is.
Dont forget nearly 10% sales tax.

Look at cost of living calculators/salary conversion between whatever your current city is and wherever you want to go. Treat them as accurate. Use three or four to guess a range. If you want to go to anywhere in the bay area north of Santa Clara, use San Francisco. Anywhere south, use San Jose.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

My 400 sq ft apartment: $1650/mo

gently caress California, that's insane. I cannot wait for the day the overpaid Ruby / lovely app webdev bubble bursts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

movax posted:

gently caress California, that's insane. I cannot wait for the day the overpaid Ruby / lovely app webdev bubble bursts.

Bay Area is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country now due to things such high monthly rents and also even basic items such as groceries being much more expensive.

In SF's famous tenderloin crime hot spot neighborhood small studios rent for $2000 a month.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

etalian posted:

Bay Area is one of the highest cost of living areas in the country now due to things such high monthly rents and also even basic items such as groceries being much more expensive.

In SF's famous tenderloin crime hot spot neighborhood small studios rent for $2000 a month.

To put this area in perspective, 3 needle exchanges in 1 square mile. My friend lives in the city very near some run down section 8 housing and the Cal Train. He and his 2 other roomies all make 100+k. They share a $5000/mo 1100sq ft apartment.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Here are some cost of living calculators. Again, treat these as accurate, don't think because your base salary is more or less that you will actually make more or less. Don't guess.

Heres a really detailed one that lines up with my Florida-Bay Area move:
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

Some others so you can make a spreadsheet to get a range:
http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator
http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/LayoutScripts/Coll_Start.aspx

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

To put this area in perspective, 3 needle exchanges in 1 square mile. My friend lives in the city very near some run down section 8 housing and the Cal Train. He and his 2 other roomies all make 100+k. They share a $5000/mo 1100sq ft apartment.

The scenic bayshore caltrain stop?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

etalian posted:

The scenic bayshore caltrain stop?

22nd.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CarForumPoster posted:

Here are some cost of living calculators. Again, treat these as accurate, don't think because your base salary is more or less that you will actually make more or less. Don't guess.

Heres a really detailed one that lines up with my Florida-Bay Area move:
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

Some others so you can make a spreadsheet to get a range:
http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator
http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/LayoutScripts/Coll_Start.aspx

I would need to make 61.72% more to keep same standard of living in San Francisco compared to Minneapolis. God drat I love Minneapolis.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Are there even any engineering jobs outside tech that pay enough up there? Last I heard, ME or ChemEs up there don't make nearly enough to afford those rents.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shipon posted:

Are there even any engineering jobs outside tech that pay enough up there? Last I heard, ME or ChemEs up there don't make nearly enough to afford those rents.

well the bay area also has piles of pharma and biotech companies as well.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

CarForumPoster posted:

Good luck getting OT in the tech industry dense bay area.

The Bay is insanely expensive, but the people who are currently writing web apps are not going to compete with you for a field service spot anytime soon.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

I made low six figures out of college in SF as a Mfg Eng with a Mech E degree working for one of the BIG BIG tech companies and that was with negotiating. It was worth it to drop my ex employers name...otherwise I do something totally different now and like it much more.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Shipon posted:

I work for a major oil company in the bay area and am making over six figures, but I have a PhD. I think if you are in the more traditional engineering areas then you need advanced degrees to get paid close to what techies are getting.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
There are plenty of operator positions making 6 figures around the bay. Cal Maritime grads are usually hired into them straight out of school or even without graduating. It's not design but it's 6 figures without post grad requirements and you get to walk around and work on/with equipment if that's your thing. The one problem with them is that if you don't get in with a good company you can limit yourself to that and have trouble breaking out.

As far as CoL goes it's only really bad if you want to live in a trendy neighborhood without roommates. I'm paying under 1k splitting a 2 bedroom house with someone.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I want to state again how I did not appreciate the pointlessness of the salary number and that I massively upgraded going from 101k -> 72k from Bay Area to Florida. I know its tacky to say what you make but I think it'll help new grads realize.

Only move to the bay area if you:

1) Love the bay area. There really is no other place I've been like it. I didn't like it that much but I can see how some would. If you would highly value the average person around you being fairly smart, the bay is decent at that. People are more aware of others around them there. On the flip side, theyre also really pompus and on their high horse about social issues. Young people especially are constantly on about social issues they, in general, do little about besides "raise awareness".
2) Want to start a business that will need tech VC.
3) Have your heart absolutely dead set on some company that only exists there. Apple, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Genentech are basically only there, I realize they've bought up stuff outside of the bay but if you want to get that tech company HQ experience that's where you go.

If you're like everyone else who just wants a cool job they enjoy using their degree I strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

lightpole posted:

As far as CoL goes it's only really bad if you want to live in a trendy neighborhood without roommates. I'm paying under 1k splitting a 2 bedroom house with someone.

On the peninsula?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 28, 2015

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I want to state again how I did not appreciate the pointlessness of the salary number and that I massively upgraded going from 101k -> 72k from Bay Area to Florida. I know its tacky to say what you make but I think it'll help new grads realize.

Only move to the bay area if you:

1) Love the bay area.

Having grown up in Florida, I would rather live almost any place else.

Florida is kind of like purgatory, you're really just there waiting out your sentence. The one exception is that if you really like the water and take full advantage of it and the weather. Other than that the best description I can give of living in Florida is that it's kind of like grinding away in an MMORPG for incremental changes.

San Francisco on the other hand (I've only visited, not lived there), has tons of stuff to do, AND most of the water activities. Although, not as warm. You can, get this, go outside your house without just getting into a car! Things happen in SF (or any major city) that just don't happen in any of the Florida cities, except maybe Miami, that aren't corporate derived mass-market pablum.

I guess Tampa used to have a kick rear end underground music scene in the 80's but that's long gone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I lived in Gainesville FL for 14 years and I still miss it. After 2 winters in the Midwest I'm ready to move back. gently caress snow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Engineering is great. That is really all I got right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Engineering is great. That is really all I got right now.

Agreed. But also, sometimes, it's dumb.