Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Artificer posted:

I can't aim with the Cleveland at all, Jesus Christ. What can I pen with its AP rounds? I can occasionally get a few but it seems a lot less reliable than the Omaha's AP citadel hits.

I'm awful with the Cleveland when I was pretty good with the Phoenix and Omaha too. The turret traverse speed is also bad. Anyone have advice? Is the upgrade to the guns worth it? 1 more round per minute but 10 more seconds on turn time...

I'm the exact same way, the Cleveland is my least favorite poo poo (apart from the furutaka) so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have completed the Furutaka.

At last.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

JacksLibido posted:

I'm the exact same way, the Cleveland is my least favorite poo poo (apart from the furutaka) so far.

For some reason I just can't land hits with it. Ugh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It cannot be overstated how superior the Aoba is to the Furutaka.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Artificer posted:

For some reason I just can't land hits with it. Ugh.

Kind of like aiming at destroyers. Lead as much as you think you need too, then double it.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Holy poo poo the New Mexico is amazing! I like the Wyoming, wasn't impressed with the New York, but the New Mexico is a goddamned beast! It doesn't feel that much more accurate, and it definitely still moves like a pig, but I've been landing absolute bombs on people and just wiping the floor with teams all day.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

So this is my current plan with the Kawachi: Move (slowly) to the far outer edge of an objective and shoot at people who try to take it back. Don't see how I'm going to force a fight otherwise :confused:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yep, at least half of the art of low tier battleships is predicting where the fight will be when your tubby rear end finally gets there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today, I fired a full New York salvo at a St. Louis, citadeled and killed him, and the shots that went long hit and killed a DD that was passing behind him that I couldn't even see. :allears:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

m-m-m-multi kill :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think almost all of the most amazing moments that happen in this game seem to happen by accident, but I'll still take 'em.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It cannot be overstated how superior the Aoba is to the Furutaka.

The Myoko is even better.

Then you get to the Mogami and start going "...should i even continue? How can anything be better than this"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blinks77 posted:

Then you get to the Mogami and start going "...should i even continue? How can anything be better than this"

You have no idea how excited I am to hear this.

The Cleveland is boring but effective, but the Aoba is effective and exciting (and fun to wail on DDs with).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Blinks77 posted:

The answer to that question being no. The Mogami is the last of the great IJN CAs. The Zao is strong, but the Ibuki is pretty average.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The answer to that question being no. The Mogami is the last of the great IJN CAs. The Zao is strong, but the Ibuki is pretty average.

The Ibuki being a tier 9 Mogami with some nicer torpedoes mounted. A truly confusing choice.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Ain't nothin' wrong with posting cool stats after good games.

Brawling with the Kongo and New York is the most fun I have in this game outside of the Omaha. Pubbies have no idea, generally, that they should be angling between volleys to avoid getting pasted in the Citadel.

Also, while I can't seem to Citadel pen them, I can get 6000-7000 AP volleys in on Myogis and Wyomings with the Furutaka at close range.

You should be able to get Citadel hits on most BBs by aiming slightly below the waterline at the center of the ship. This my usual brawling tactic and it almost always works, requires close range (around 5km) so the shots hit flat.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Ibuki being a tier 9 Mogami with some nicer torpedoes mounted. A truly confusing choice.

The 155mm Mogami is the better version. Its basically a Cleveland if the Cleveland had good ballistics, more HP, more guns, and torpedoes.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Rebought Bogue after rageselling it the first time, played five games, 1 win, 1 draw, 3 losses. Spawned at the southeast corner on hotspot, every single ship that spawned at that spot decides to chase half hp new york i torped around the island while their two dds and a cruiser cap the spot everyone is circling about... The dds and cruiser waltz into our spawn without taking any damage, torp me to hell, still take no damage because the merry band of retards on my team are now once again behind the island, finally capping the c point.

Thanks for reminding me why i sold it the first time, pubbies.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
That map is hell on CVs of any Tier or nationality.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I really hope some of the premium carriers are the really insane drawing board things that never saw the light of day. Like that carrier made out of ice.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

I really hope some of the premium carriers are the really insane drawing board things that never saw the light of day. Like that carrier made out of ice.

You mean the boss from Warship Gunner 2?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Finally...

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tempting, but I think I'll wait till some crazy-rear end German cruiser design gets added as a premium.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not sure it's worth buying with current game balance. And at tier8 you can bet it'll be 40+ bucks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
As much as I like the idea of a battleship with torpedoes, I'm not buying it unless I plan to go down a german ship line.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Michaellaneous posted:

You mean the boss from Warship Gunner 2?

No, this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm such a Maritime history dork that it will be very tempting to pay for that. Tirpitz / Bismarck were overgrown commerce raiders and were overhyped during the war, but I think it would be fun to play in the game because secondaries and torpedoes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm such a Maritime history dork that it will be very tempting to pay for that. Tirpitz / Bismarck were overgrown commerce raiders and were overhyped during the war, but I think it would be fun to play in the game because secondaries and torpedoes.

I was in a game in my Kongo where the enemy had a Tirpitz and our pubbies freaked the gently caress out and refused to engage it in terror. I eventually went at it and knocked half its HP off by angling properly, but it had some Clevelands for backup and our own Clevelands refused to engage because they were afraid the enemy boat was invincible.

The Wehraboo cuts both ways, I guess.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

The dispersion on the Tirpitz guns looks absolutely terrible in the Jingles video. Though to be fair, his gunnery is also terrible and he's not using the accuracy mod.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Watching some of Jingles' stuff when he's in a BB and hearing him go 'Oh man! That fool! He's turning his front towards me while I have my broadside to him! I have the advantage now since all my guns are on him!' confirms Jingles is about as good at WoWS as he is at War Thunder.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That said, iChase also did a review on the Tirpitz, and made basically the same comment regarding its accuracy. Specifically, it has the same amount of dispersion at max range as Yamato does at hers, but said maximum range is significantly shorter.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The 155mm Mogami is the better version. Its basically a Cleveland if the Cleveland had good ballistics, more HP, more guns, and torpedoes.

You can keep saying this, but I faith that HE meta will get what's coming to it.

Night10194 posted:

Watching some of Jingles' stuff when he's in a BB and hearing him go 'Oh man! That fool! He's turning his front towards me while I have my broadside to him! I have the advantage now since all my guns are on him!' confirms Jingles is about as good at WoWS as he is at War Thunder.

Waiting for French battleships.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Night10194 posted:

I think he's clued in to it now, because he mentions in it in his Tirpitz video.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You can keep saying this, but I faith that HE meta will get what's coming to it.

Before tier 10 there are only like 2 or 3 cruisers that are actually good at HE-ing battleships. HE meta is an illusion.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
Well, I FINALLY heard back from support, and apparently my situation is so hosed, that they had to ask the devs?

Anyways, they say that if there is room in the clan when they resolve this, they will add me manually. So yay, I guess.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Night10194 posted:

That dude has some interesting videos with the history and details of some of the ships but holy gently caress that forces laugh he does is so obnoxious and makes his videos unwatchable.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I was in a game in my Kongo where the enemy had a Tirpitz and our pubbies freaked the gently caress out and refused to engage it in terror. I eventually went at it and knocked half its HP off by angling properly, but it had some Clevelands for backup and our own Clevelands refused to engage because they were afraid the enemy boat was invincible.

The Wehraboo cuts both ways, I guess.

I'm convinced this behavior is some kind of schizoid disorder where they think they might really die if they lose their ship. The cowardice I've seen displayed in a GAME is beyond belief.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm convinced this behavior is some kind of schizoid disorder where they think they might really die if they lose their ship. The cowardice I've seen displayed in a GAME is beyond belief.

Its really bad. I've completely lost count of the times I've even slightly commited to a fight in my BB took on the role of bullet sponge for my team and then looked back and everyone on the flank has turned away from the battle. Once they finally manage to sink me theres multiple ships running around with low HP that my team could have easily focused down but were unable too since they were out of range.

I want a Tirpitz but I'm not going to spend over $40 on a ship unless it came with like a month worth of premium as well or something along those lines. $20 is a better price for premium ships I think but they will never be that cheap.

For those who have missed it. A Chance to earn a free ship for PAX.

PRIZES FOR ALL:
All players who submit a valid entry, will receive the Marblehead with the special PAX camo, a port slot, and 500,000 Credits!

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:
We will randomly select ten (10) captains who complete the task and award them with a one week of Premium time!

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DurosKlav posted:

Its really bad. I've completely lost count of the times I've even slightly commited to a fight in my BB took on the role of bullet sponge for my team and then looked back and everyone on the flank has turned away from the battle. Once they finally manage to sink me theres multiple ships running around with low HP that my team could have easily focused down but were unable too since they were out of range.

Don't forget pubbies are so loving terrified of DDs they'll never go screen for them or hunt them. They just huddle and shriek about 'torpedoes from nowhere'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Don't forget pubbies are so loving terrified of DDs they'll never go screen for them or hunt them. They just huddle and shriek about 'torpedoes from nowhere'.

I especially liked the game where myself(in a Myoko) and a Cleveland were first up the west flank on Fault Line, and were slowly boxing in a Minekaze into the NW corner. Then I looked back and noticed that multiple battleships and another cruiser or two on our team had apparently decided to follow us into the corner rather than actually make for the cap, except staying decently far back, of course. That was fun. There wasn't even another DD on the enemy team to be afraid of.