Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Jedit posted:

Which is why you don't know that the full structure of the Deck is given at the start of several of the other books.

Awesome! I'll add them to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

angel opportunity posted:

Dark Forest was so good. I just finished it and loved it.

Having the probe destroy the entire fleet is such a good 'show' for "The Trisolarans are so much more advanced that it really is hopeless," and then having Luo Ji earn a victory over them that doesn't feel at all like deus ex machina.

Actually I found that "victory" hard to believe. Even considering the Trisolarians are not experts at lying and deceiving, they just go belly-up after Luo Ji tells them his "updated" plan using the nukes. They just make their proble to unblock the sun (thus allowing earthlings to send whatever they want) and start providing technological assistance to the very same people they were going to EX-TER-MI-NATE. I can think about some ways to defuse the improvised transmission system and keep their plans running but, hey, it's not my Universe!

The wallfacer-wallbreaker stuff is also somehow incredible. The so called wallbreakers just go to talk to the wallfacers, unveil their plan and the wallfacers instantly bend before them (with different results). At that point, the wallfacers could still use plausible deniability, call the "breakers" liars, kill them and go on with their plans, which were going to develop in 400 years time, so plenty of chances to repair the damage done by a (deniable) ETO disclosure.

Anyway, as I said before I loved the book and can't wait for the translation of the last one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The new storybundle set is apocalyptic stuff, so it might be with checking out. Dunno if I've read any of them though so I can't say if it's awesome or not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thranguy posted:

Pretty sure he's actually talking Robert Charles Wilson here.
haha sorry, RAW wrote so many dozens of books that I have no idea of the titles of all of them so I figured it was just another of his :laugh: most of them are drug-fueled monologues along the likes of Joe Rogan talking about using a suspension tank while high on DXM.

Not that I don't recommend RAW just ya gotta know what you're getting into.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

Then again, I've only read Gardens of the Moon. I thought it had problems and was frustrated with it at first, but after reading The Eye of the World it doesn't seem so bad anymore. I liked some ideas in it, and I thought Tattersail and Anomander Rake were cool.

I felt the same way with Gardens but then fell in love with Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. I thought Erikson just shone with those novels.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Amberskin posted:

Actually I found that "victory" hard to believe. Even considering the Trisolarians are not experts at lying and deceiving, they just go belly-up after Luo Ji tells them his "updated" plan using the nukes. They just make their proble to unblock the sun (thus allowing earthlings to send whatever they want) and start providing technological assistance to the very same people they were going to EX-TER-MI-NATE. I can think about some ways to defuse the improvised transmission system and keep their plans running but, hey, it's not my Universe!

The wallfacer-wallbreaker stuff is also somehow incredible. The so called wallbreakers just go to talk to the wallfacers, unveil their plan and the wallfacers instantly bend before them (with different results). At that point, the wallfacers could still use plausible deniability, call the "breakers" liars, kill them and go on with their plans, which were going to develop in 400 years time, so plenty of chances to repair the damage done by a (deniable) ETO disclosure.

Anyway, as I said before I loved the book and can't wait for the translation of the last one.

You forgot one thing about the wallfacer-wallbreaker stuff. The Lord does not care.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The new storybundle set is apocalyptic stuff, so it might be with checking out. Dunno if I've read any of them though so I can't say if it's awesome or not.

It's another Kevin J. Anderson curated one and it has a Brian Herbert book in it. Always wary of the KJA ones.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Neil deGrasse Tyson getting in on The Martian viral marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdKyszL1Zo

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
It's weird how you can essentially be playing yourself and still be a lovely actor :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Robot Wendigo posted:

I felt the same way with Gardens but then fell in love with Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. I thought Erikson just shone with those novels.

The climax of Memories of Ice was fantastic. Set mountain to ramming speed. :black101:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So I'm up to that bit in The Dark Forest....

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

thehomemaster posted:

So I'm up to that bit in The Dark Forest....

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

probe, huh?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The Drabblecast is doing HP Lovecraft month, I'm generally not a horror fan but it doesn't get much better than Norm Sherman reading Lovecraft, try it out if that's your thing.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

gohmak posted:

probe, huh?

I really didn't like that part. I get that (dark forest spoilers) People in the future were really complacent and hadn't faced the same challenges of the past characters but "let's put 3000 spaceships within a few hundred kilometers of each other is beyond any possible justification.

I felt like the book had way too much filler too. The cultural revolution stuff in book one was integral to the decision to call the trisolarians and was useful character development besides. In Forest we spend half the book looking into back story on Luo Ji that really doesn't influence anything. Maybe something is lost in translation but the whole lazy layabout thing making him impossible to predict didn't end up having anything to do with the eventual resolution of things, which instead relied on his prior theorizing.

Speaking of which, two plot points I can't recall resolved: why was Luo chosen as a wallbreaker when no one knew about his tall with Dr. Ye? Just 8 billion to 1 coincidence? And second, did the mind control thing inducing a need to flee ever manifest in anything? The guy who deserted couldn't have been exposed...

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Velius posted:

I really didn't like that part. I get that (dark forest spoilers)
Speaking of which, two plot points I can't recall resolved: why was Luo chosen as a wallbreaker when no one knew about his tall with Dr. Ye? Just 8 billion to 1 coincidence? And second, did the mind control thing inducing a need to flee ever manifest in anything? The guy who deserted couldn't have been exposed...

I believe they received intelligence that the Trisolarians were afraid of him. They didn't know why, just that if they were paying so much attention to an insignificant guy, he must know something. I can't remember the exact details, but it was definitely mentioned.

The mind control thing will probably appear in the next book I imagine. I can't believe they would make such a big deal out of it and leave it out.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Velius posted:

They made him a wallbreaker because they hard learned from the trisolaris-affliated group that Luo Ji was the one man that the Trisolarians actively wanted assassinated. They decided that the enemy who has perfect intelligence-gathering capabilties was trying to kill him, so he must be valuable to their defense somehow. So they made him a Wallfacer.

As for why the Trisolarians wanted to assassinate him, they had Dr. Ye under sophon surveillance and they knew the ramifications of her "cosmic sociology" conversation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I absolutely loved The Dark Forest but that little scene was just completely asinine. I think just about anyone with two brain cells could immediately tell what was about to happen (maybe not the precise details, but the general outcome).

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
OK spoiler time to get some clarification

Firstly, that Zhang guy. Where did he come from? And when he killed the people with the meteorite bullets (so cool) I thought he was working for the Trisolarians and not as an agent of Escapism.

Speaking of Escapism, I thought the mental seal was used precisely to enable anti-Defeatism, thus making the Imprinted think without a doubt that they would win. Which of course makes me think that the entire society was Imprinted. But then they say to watch out for Imprinted because they will want to Escape. Was that an ETO plot that I skimmed over? Also Hines imprinted himself as a defeatist, yes? The whole God is dead thing.

With Liu I don't think the back story was particularly overplayed and it was over with pretty quickly.

Don't answer my spoilers if the answer is in the last 20% I'm almost finished.

Also, I just love when a book has a 'oh gently caress' moment like the space elevator in Red Mars. I'm very interested to see how they deal with this problem...

There are also some great lines and paragraphs in this book, which is even more pleasing given the translation.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 29, 2015

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I've been listening to the audiobook of The Dark Forest and oh my god, it's the worst book for sleeping. I'll listen for hours. Just got to part 2.. hell yeah.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
OH MY GOD YES!

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/three-body-problem-film-out-next-year-310195

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Library on Mount Char is good.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Megazver posted:

Library on Mount Char is good.
Yeah, it was great - I really enjoyed it. Fantastic for a debut novel.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
It seems like BBC will be making a four part mini series of The City and The City by China Miéville

Ninja edit: Oops, quoted from Hedrigal's RSS feed so it might already have been mentioned. Sorry :)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Holy poo poo? This better be good.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Seems like The Martian is on sale on both Amazon and Google Play Books for $1.99 in the US.
http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Andy_Weir_The_Martian?id=MQeHAAAAQBAJ

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

It seems like BBC will be making a four part mini series of The City and The City by China Miéville

Ninja edit: Oops, quoted from Hedrigal's RSS feed so it might already have been mentioned. Sorry :)

Holy poo poo, how the gently caress do you televise that?

That's going to require, like, a tenth-dan black belt in camerawork.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo, how the gently caress do you televise that?

That's going to require, like, a tenth-dan black belt in camerawork.

From what I remember only some of the city is crosshatched so all you really need is two distinct dress styles for the two cities, and maybe some visual effects to picture how people don't see the other city's citizens.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm interested to see how it will turn out. It does seem like it would be fairly amenable to a TV adaptation, but I wonder if the result will just be too silly.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 30, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mystes posted:

I'm interested to see how it will turn out. It does seem like it would be fairly amenable to a TV adaptation, but I wonder if the result will just be too silly.

Yeah, I can only have my fingers crossed that any adaptation does just end up being a "If we could only see each other, everything would be great" after-school-special that's utterly ridiculous, but I feel like the BBC's pulled off enough high-concept stuff in the past that I can have a little faith.

EDIT: I mean, apparently it's been adapted for the stage before, so any TV adaptation that bothers to do a little post-production blurring-out of stuff is worth watching by my standards.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

Holy poo poo? This better be good.

It will probably not be released next year and it's not too likely it'll be made at all. Book options happen all the time, the production acquires a producer, they start shopping it around and there's some buzz that the movie will begin actual production soon. Then it enters development hell and emerges after a couple of years if it ever does. There are exceptions, and The Martian is one of them. If the movie picks up funding and a director, it's halfway there already.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

No, just no.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let me guess, they're gonna move it to America.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three-Body_Problem_(film)

It's being made in China with a budget of $30 million.

The recent Mad Max movie had $100 million budget.

It might possibly be good, but I feel the cultural revolution stuff will have to get censored or hosed around with a lot. It's one thing to have that in a book, another to put it in a movie they want to get really big.

edit: Like, I feel some official somewhere has asked "Can the people who kill Wenjie's father be the Japanese invaders?"

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 30, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oh, they're making it in China, not in Hollywood. Disregard everything I said!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I don't see a way to make that book cimenatically intriguiging

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Oh, gently caress. the wikipedia article is a BIG loving SPOILER! Don't go there if you have not read the book!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

gohmak posted:

I don't see a way to make that book cimenatically intriguiging

Seriously? There is much intrigue. And The Dark Forest NEEDS to be a movie.

Also, I'm pretty sure the article said it is already in production.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angel opportunity posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three-Body_Problem_(film)

It's being made in China with a budget of $30 million.

The recent Mad Max movie had $100 million budget.

It might possibly be good, but I feel the cultural revolution stuff will have to get censored or hosed around with a lot. It's one thing to have that in a book, another to put it in a movie they want to get really big.

edit: Like, I feel some official somewhere has asked "Can the people who kill Wenjie's father be the Japanese invaders?"

$30 million is about the budget of the Chinese movie Red Cliffs and absolutely fantastic movie that clocked in at four hours (international version).

Regarding the Cultural Revolution, I think if they keep it focused on the rampages of the Red Guard, and no overt criticism of Mao, it would probably slip by. I don't imagine the Central Committee would have any issues with a film that stuck to the book. I think politically China is aware this book is highly regarded internationally and also of the criticism that would fall if they gently caress with the story when it's translated to film.

China has had some (relatively) liberal hands guiding policy for last decade or so. About 4 years ago, then Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao openly criticized the Cultural Revolution. Not only that some of the press in China published his remarks for internal consumption. And remember this book was published in China, so I don't imagine the Central Committee would have any issues with a film that stuck to the book.

quote:

On Oct. 25, an audience of 1,500 at Nankai high school in Tianjin turned out to hear the popular Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao give a talk at the school where he’d studied 51 years ago. Wen told of his hardscrabble roots, of how his father hocked his wristwatch to buy medicine when Wen fell ill, of how his family of five lived in a nine-square-meter room. The auditorium fell silent when Wen turned to the subject of the 1966-1976 Cultural Revolution, one of the nation’s most controversial periods. He said, “My family suffered constant attacks in the successive political campaigns” after he went to high school. For the first time, the premier revealed details of how his grandfather and father, both educators, were victimized by radical Red Guards.

Until now, Chinese leaders have rarely talked about how their families fared during the chaos unleashed by Mao Zedong in the Cultural Revolution. Senior officials normally observe a longstanding political taboo by skirting around such tales of torment. Now, Wen Jiabao has broken that taboo in what some analysts believe is a veiled warning to China’s future leaders not to repeat the mistakes of history, reported the Telegraph.

The 69-year-old premier talked publicly about how his grandfather, a primary school teacher, was compelled to write incessant “self-criticisms” before his death at the height of the Cultural Revolution. These often-humiliating documents were routinely required of intellectuals during that era (and sometimes extracted under extreme duress) to reinforce their loyalty to Mao. “Now the school where he taught still keeps his dossier … filled with one self-criticism after another, written in small neat characters,” Wen revealed.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/11/05/chinese-premier-wen-jiabao-criticizes-cultural-revolution.html

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

flosofl posted:

$30 million is about the budget of the Chinese movie Red Cliffs and absolutely fantastic movie that clocked in at four hours (international version).

Regarding the Cultural Revolution, I think if they keep it focused on the rampages of the Red Guard, and no overt criticism of Mao, it would probably slip by. I don't imagine the Central Committee would have any issues with a film that stuck to the book. I think politically China is aware this book is highly regarded internationally and also of the criticism that would fall if they gently caress with the story when it's translated to film.

China has had some (relatively) liberal hands guiding policy for last decade or so. About 4 years ago, then Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao openly criticized the Cultural Revolution. Not only that some of the press in China published his remarks for internal consumption. And remember this book was published in China, so I don't imagine the Central Committee would have any issues with a film that stuck to the book.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/11/05/chinese-premier-wen-jiabao-criticizes-cultural-revolution.html

That was almost 4 years ago, though, and the book version of The Three-Body Problem was published around 7 years ago. I thought censorship had gotten stricter over the past couple years under Xi Jinping. Also, films might be subject to heavier censorship than books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

That was almost 4 years ago, though, and the book version of The Three-Body Problem was published around 7 years ago. I thought censorship had gotten stricter over the past couple years under Xi Jinping. Also, films might be subject to heavier censorship than books.

That may be, and it would truly suck if they have to change aspects of the story as a result. I lose sight of the fact that progress is not necessarily an inexorable march forward.