Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I think if I had to have an anime spirit animal or whatever lame headmate poo poo tumblr thinks is cool, it'd definitely be Shigaraki.

"What the gently caress are you doing?" "I can't even find the words, loving goddamn." "Why won't it all just go how I want?!"

I've said it before but I love how petulant and terrible Shigaraki is. Though, I wonder what he's talking about when he refers to "tomorrow" being what decides if this was worth it.

Also, poor Noumu Stain stabbed; even if it was turned into a mindless automaton, that's a pretty brutal way to go. I think Endeavor killed another as well, though at least one was captured alive. I kind of hope they manage to revert the ones who aren't dead, because that's a pretty terrible fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So... yeah, the police chief is best new character, but he also kinda contextualises Stain's issues even more. If the standards set by the initial generations of superheroes were indeed so high - presumably to avoid backlash against their vigilantism - then one imagines that some people haven't been too fond of those standards gradually slipping as superheroics become an industry, and the requirement for ethics went from 'exceptional' to 'acceptable'. Stain unfortunately is the kind of person who acts on that perceived degradation.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

So... yeah, the police chief is best new character, but he also kinda contextualises Stain's issues even more. If the standards set by the initial generations of superheroes were indeed so high - presumably to avoid backlash against their vigilantism - then one imagines that some people haven't been too fond of those standards gradually slipping as superheroics become an industry, and the requirement for ethics went from 'exceptional' to 'acceptable'. Stain unfortunately is the kind of person who acts on that perceived degradation.

Honestly, with people who are wife beating pieces of poo poo that put others at risk being in the top 3 ( Endeavor didn't even hesitate and could have fried Midoriya with his tunnel vision there) I wouldn't doubt that heroes are getting really lovely and need the fear of death put into them. In the opening of the series we saw heroes fighting amongst themselves to get the credit for capturing a villain so they can get the payout. Hell, even the Jeanist is giving me really creepy rapey type vibes with his reforming "bad kids" speech, whether it plays out like that or not. Gran Torino leaving the school after one year and basically fading into obscurity is another issue I hope gets touched on and relates to this.

There honestly isn't a lot of genuine heroes in this series so far who are good people doing it because they want to save people first and fore most other than All Might. Almost everyone so far has had some sort of "I want to be an idol!", "I want to make money!" or "gently caress you, FireDad!" type motivations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hell, even the Jeanist is giving me really creepy rapey type vibes with his reforming "bad kids" speech, whether it plays out like that or not.
what

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Slain continues to have incredible artwork, amazing!

The new police chief is like a Manga version of Hyperdog from Top 10, I wonder if its a deliberate reference?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Face Dogman 2016

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Face Dogman 2016

Sanders/Dogface is my OTP

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe it was the translation I read but he basically goes on about how he specifically chose Kacchan because too many of the previous hero interns were "good boys." But Kacchan's a "bad boy" and he's going to "reform him." It was probably a translation error or something but it didn't sit well with me when I first read it.

Like I said, it's probably a translation error.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe it was the translation I read but he basically goes on about how he specifically chose Kacchan because too many of the previous hero interns were "good boys." But Kacchan's a "bad boy" and he's going to "reform him." It was probably a translation error or something but it didn't sit well with me when I first read it.

Like I said, it's probably a translation error.
it didnt sit well with you because your brain is broken

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

it didnt sit well with you because your brain is broken

Probably. I'm also pretty sensitive to that stuff so v:downs:v

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i have no idea who kacchan even refers too because who the gently caress remembers that over an actual name. from context i assume its bakugo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Hell, even the Jeanist is giving me really creepy rapey type vibes with his reforming "bad kids" speech, whether it plays out like that or not.
I am pretty sure this one is more in your head than on paper.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Face Dogman 2016

Hot Coldman

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bets on Endeavour being responsible for Stain being... what he is? I mean, he's the embodiment of what the Hero Killer hates, and that hosed-up face of his sure looks like someone burned the hell out of it (and not Todoroki junior, either - it was like that from his introduction).

poo poo, maybe he's even another failed son.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I dunno. I don't think we have any evidence that Endeavour dabbled in genetic engineering as well as eugenics. (RE: Darth Walrus and failed son)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

I dunno. I don't think we have any evidence that Endeavour dabbled in genetic engineering as well as eugenics. (RE: Darth Walrus and failed son)

Stain just seems like a regular (if horribly injured and insane) quirk-haver, though. He's not a Noumu. All it'd take would be a mother with a similar superpower.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are all the dog puns in the original Japanese or did the translator take liberties? Because if it's the former, then :allears:

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Are all the dog puns in the original Japanese or did the translator take liberties? Because if it's the former, then :allears:
Translator. He talks about it in the translator notes.

Anyway, I wonder if Stain cut off his own nose and lips to look more villainous or if someone did that to him. And if his power was registered. I got the impression registration is mandatory, but if a quirk has sufficiently unusual requirements to activate (like having to lick blood) it might take some time to figure it out. Maybe that's how some villains avoid being registered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Darth Walrus posted:

Bets on Endeavour being responsible for Stain being... what he is? I mean, he's the embodiment of what the Hero Killer hates, and that hosed-up face of his sure looks like someone burned the hell out of it (and not Todoroki junior, either - it was like that from his introduction).

poo poo, maybe he's even another failed son.

I'd put my bets on that. dude looks a bit like a burn victim years down the line who never got reconstructive surgery.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I love all those extreme zoom in to the dog face. It's amazing. :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I love this comic so much. Stain is so good. The police chief is somehow better.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

translator. Basically, dogman says "woof" at the end of every sentence and rather than awkwardly translating it literally, he took inspiration from some other translation and made everything into a dog pun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The lecture kinda falls flat IMO because at the end they skirt the rules anyway when you could tell the truth while omitting details and have a perfectly acceptable story for everyone.

Edit: Also this kinda highlights how dumb the hero system is. Like you just have to accept it because there's no story without it, but really, the Heroes and Police systems should be combined to form a brand new system called...THE POLICE! Regular officers are given the ability to use lethal force with the tools allowed by their training/regulations, SWAT is allowed more, the military is allowed even more, etc.

Just make another loving SWAT unit or special patrol units who are allowed to use their dumb superpowers instead of creating a cottage industry of costumed assholes who need to hawk products and outdo eachother for a government paycheck. I kinda just gotta stop thinking about it because it sort of sucks the enjoyment out of the concept.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 29, 2015

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

translator. Basically, dogman says "woof" at the end of every sentence and rather than awkwardly translating it literally, he took inspiration from some other translation and made everything into a dog pun.
Maybe he took inspiration from the Persona 4 translation.

Edit: I should read the notes first. He did.

I like how realistic the dog man looks compared to everybody else.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 29, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not just mangaka, but most artists in general seem to suck at drawing animals. I don't remember which one I read recently, but they had awesome human anatomy, proportions, and expressions down, but then they drew them on a horse and I didn't know if I was looking at a pig, giraffe, or goat.

Horikoshi has proven it before in Oumagadoki (which rules), but drat does he show attention to detail and put real loving effort into his animals. Except maybe Principal Beardogmouse, but that's kind of the point with him.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

kinmik posted:

Not just mangaka, but most artists in general seem to suck at drawing animals. I don't remember which one I read recently, but they had awesome human anatomy, proportions, and expressions down, but then they drew them on a horse and I didn't know if I was looking at a pig, giraffe, or goat.

Horikoshi has proven it before in Oumagadoki (which rules), but drat does he show attention to detail and put real loving effort into his animals. Except maybe Principal Beardogmouse, but that's kind of the point with him.

Completely agree. Animals are a lot harder to draw because you have everything scrunched up or elongated and you can't really tell what anything is without a lot of dedicated practice. You might want to check out something like Monster x Monster. It's basically the story of a 30 year old Neet who starts adventuring in a Monster Hunter type world, but the guy can draw some pretty hilarious and great looking monsters.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

kinmik posted:

The chapter of Yotsuba! where she rides her bike around town isn't great for how adorable it is, but how perfectly rendered her bicycle is. I think the farm chapter also has really good animals.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fabricated posted:

The lecture kinda falls flat IMO because at the end they skirt the rules anyway when you could tell the truth while omitting details and have a perfectly acceptable story for everyone.

Edit: Also this kinda highlights how dumb the hero system is. Like you just have to accept it because there's no story without it, but really, the Heroes and Police systems should be combined to form a brand new system called...THE POLICE! Regular officers are given the ability to use lethal force with the tools allowed by their training/regulations, SWAT is allowed more, the military is allowed even more, etc.

Just make another loving SWAT unit or special patrol units who are allowed to use their dumb superpowers instead of creating a cottage industry of costumed assholes who need to hawk products and outdo eachother for a government paycheck. I kinda just gotta stop thinking about it because it sort of sucks the enjoyment out of the concept.

The hero system is the best because it's Asian Face Saving at its finest.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eej posted:

Totally.

Isn't it Stain's point that the whole system is totally corrupt?

Also, Face Dogman sounds like a name from Metal Gear Solid.

Gonna start calling Todoroki Hot Coldman

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The way Officer McGruff explained it made it seem more like the Police are a check on the Heroes, which made enough sense to me. :shrug:

Eej posted:

acting as if it's related to race is kinda weird dude.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Who said anything about race? It's about culture.

Anyway, the way the police are described gives them an enormous leeway with saving face. They embrace <strong values> and don't hire people with quirks (because they don't want to get in trouble if some fire dude lights someone up or burns down a whole block as collateral damage). They will gladly cooperate with heroes who exemplify their ideal attributes while also holding the power to censure those that don't. They don't have any power to resist villains but they hold all the political power over the hero association. So they can take credit from over anything heroes do as they have oversight over all their activities while also maintaining plausible deniability over any negative thing heroes do as they are not actually part of the police but in a seperate, independent organization. To the eyes of the public the police are always doing good, it's the heroes that mess up if it happens.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the kind of arrangement the Police have exists worldwide so again, it's weird to isolate it as "Asian."

though yeah it's valid that the Police could consistently present themselves as the good guys. at least that's a position that rarely holds up indefinitely.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dogsicle posted:

the kind of arrangement the Police have exists worldwide so again, it's weird to isolate it as "Asian."

That's not what he's saying doofus, it's that such an arrangement makes more sense to an Asian audience than a western one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eej posted:

and don't hire people with quirks (because they don't want to get in trouble if some fire dude lights someone up or burns down a whole block as collateral damage).

I don't think they don't even hire people with quirks (remember, 80% of the population has quirks), they just don't let them use them.

Frankly, most of the people we know's quirks couldn't stop a bullet anyway, and Deku's parents sort of imply that most people's are even more harmless, so it's not like the police are totally useless. And really, they would definitely be blamed if the heroes ran around with no accountability: I have no idea why you think they could just deflect it onto the individuals. As the police, criminals running around on the loose is their responsibility, superpowered or otherwise. They have to at least look like they're doing something about it. If it looks like they can't keep the heroes in line, the citizens would probably force them to form their own Quirk Swat or whatever. Although frankly the heroes seem to be a branch of law enforcement in all but name anyway.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Although frankly the heroes seem to be a branch of law enforcement in all but name anyway.

I'm not so sure. It sounds like to be able to use your quirks in daily life or your jobs you need a license (especially a hero one, in the case of Gravity Girl). It seems like stuff like using it in your own home is a okay as shown by Midoriya's mom, but any other use in public is largely illegal. The police seem to be the ones trying to oversee the whole hero system and investigate crimes that can't be solved with punching people in the face, but the heroes themselves are the ones doing patrols, grunt work, advertising, merchandising etc. The heroes also only get paid if they nab a bad guy and turn him in so they don't even get a base salary.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I'm not so sure. It sounds like to be able to use your quirks in daily life or your jobs you need a license (especially a hero one, in the case of Gravity Girl). It seems like stuff like using it in your own home is a okay as shown by Midoriya's mom, but any other use in public is largely illegal. The police seem to be the ones trying to oversee the whole hero system and investigate crimes that can't be solved with punching people in the face, but the heroes themselves are the ones doing patrols, grunt work, advertising, merchandising etc. The heroes also only get paid if they nab a bad guy and turn him in so they don't even get a base salary.

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vengarr posted:

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

When you look at it, it's a system that encourages the kind of grandstanding we saw on the first issue. If they only make money on a contract by contract basis, sponsorship isn't just a way to get rich, it's a way to make sure that you have a reliable income.

I wonder if other countries work this way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

Stain is undeniably correct about everything except his methods. Killing and crippling all the "fakes" is certainly cathartic but it doesn't work for fixing the system.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Mr. Fowl posted:

When you look at it, it's a system that encourages the kind of grandstanding we saw on the first issue. If they only make money on a contract by contract basis, sponsorship isn't just a way to get rich, it's a way to make sure that you have a reliable income.

I wonder if other countries work this way.

Turns out superheroes in Britain are an extension of the NHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

dogsicle posted:

The way Officer McGruff explained it made it seem more like the Police are a check on the Heroes, which made enough sense to me. :shrug:

And this is part of the crux of Shigaraki's (I think it was Shigaraki who first used the phrase in the manga) issue with the "state's monopoly on violence".