Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
New Soilwork is kind of bad. Speed sounds as great as ever it's just the songs are generic as gently caress. The riffs are bland, the choruses are predictable, and there's no energy or punch to the music. It sounds like leftover ideas from The Living Infinite, which is a good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've felt that way about the last two or three Soilwork albums.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've felt that way about the last two or three Soilwork albums.

I really enjoyed The Panic Broadcast and The Living Infinite. They're not Chainheart or Natural Born Chaos, but they're respectable.

The Living Majestic sounds like them being comfortable in the groove they've carved out for themselves with the last 2 records and not wanting or not knowing how to get out of it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ChickenArise posted:

I love it. Rae Amitay is an impressive vocalist but I hope she gets back behind a drum kit before too long (RIP Mares of Thrace). I've been describing it to friends who might be interested as "blackened sludge."

I think she at least did the drum work on the EP that's also on the Bandcamp page. She drums for Thrawsunblat, too. Looks like they've got a new one coming out at some point.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Detective Thompson posted:

Don't know if this got posted yet, but Immortal Bird's Empress​/​Abscess is pretty good. A little bit of djentiness in there, but not enough to bring it down.

https://immortalbird.bandcamp.com/

Whoa cool! It's...I don't know, it's weird, it sounds familiar but new and I can't figure out why. The vocals are amazing, this is some high quality poo poo right here. This snippet from a review on Bandcamp seems pretty accurate:

"If you were to play High on Fire, Converge, Motorhead, and Gorgoroth simultaneously; it would sound a bit like Empress/Abscess. The sound is that big and equally depraved. Immortal Bird slinks its way in and out of sludgy grooves, grim plucking, and hardcore d-beats like it ain't no thang."

Chromatic posted:

New Soilwork is kind of bad. Speed sounds as great as ever it's just the songs are generic as gently caress. The riffs are bland, the choruses are predictable, and there's no energy or punch to the music. It sounds like leftover ideas from The Living Infinite, which is a good album.

Panic Broadcast was really good, one of their best IMO, but I agree. Living Infinite was good, and Ride Majestic is good but it feels like stuff that didn't make it onto Panic Broadcast at the time and they're just stretching it out. It's kind of like my comparison with the new Symphony X, it's very good but it kind of feels like "more of the same". It's dumb to complain about something being consistently good and you don't want ( and can't expect ) a totally new direction for a band with every album but at the same time it's kind of...boring? I'll keep listening to this album but I kind of would rather just listen to Panic Broadcast again. I'm not sure if this is just getting jaded/bored or if all the other poo poo that's come out this year has been so mind-blowing it's hard to get excited about something like this.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Turk February posted:

Also, what albums have you heard from Cattle Decapitation, because they have changed drastically from a boring Carcass-ripoff to a punishing melodic death metal band.

This, I didn't really care about Cattle Decapitation before Monolith. I mean, The Harvest Floor was OK, but didn't really do much for me, but their last two albums have been brutal as gently caress.

I'd also throw Aborted in the recommendation list. Their last two albums have been top notch.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For a starting point with Aborted, I highly recommend their album Goremageddon. It's arguably their best.

I also agree with the sentiment that Cattle Decap didn't really get good until Harvest Floor, and Monolith was their first excellent album.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

caiman posted:

For a starting point with Aborted, I highly recommend their album Goremageddon. It's arguably their best.

Frankly, I'd argue that you should STOP after The Haemotobic EP because everything after that gets progressively worse. Although they had a decent record in Global Flatline, it just wasn't memorable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Motörhead is up for streaming on Apple Music. gently caress yeah.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

posting, just 'cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKb_-DWp7Q

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New Motörhead is up for streaming on Apple Music. gently caress yeah.

I love Motorhead but the last three albums Including this one have been the safest rock and roll you could possibly produce.

I get that Lemmy is not gonna stop until he's dead, but I feel like hes just trying to keep the promise now than actually doing what he wants.

The production on this new album is hot loving garbage too. Its actually uncomfortable to listen to, and Ive listened to St. Anger AND Death Magnetic.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Really digging the new gently caress the Facts LP, i've always liked their ~melodic~ brand of grindcore but they really hit out the park with this latest effort.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Apparently Motorhead cut their set short last night in Utah because Lemmy had trouble breathing and is in horrible shape. I'd suggest rehab but the dude is pushing 70. How much time can that really buy him? He should really consider slowing down/retiring at this point.

I know it's not the "Metal!111Lemmy is god!" opinion that people spew but it sucks seeing legends completely fall apart.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 28, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Chromatic posted:

Apparently Motorhead cut their set short last night in Utah because Lemmy had trouble breathing and is in horrible shape. I'd suggest rehab but the dude is pushing 70. How much time can that really buy him? He should really consider slowing down/retiring at this point.

I know it's not the "Metal!111Lemmy is god!" opinion that people spew but it sucks seeing legends completely fall apart.

Rehab would be like apologizing after it's too late. It's just embarrassing at that point. Burn out baby.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Hey, if rehab and retirement could buy him another 2-3+ plus years then I don't see a downside to it at all.

Lemmy burning out is playing godawful shows, leaving a bad taste in fans mouths and making GBS threads on his legacy. It just sucks to see.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Speaking of Motorhead, I don't think anyone ever posted their really weird video for one of their upcoming tracks, "Electricity". It's a good song (even though you can tell Lemmy is straining his vocals), but I can't make heads or tails of the video.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
At this point I think rehab would just outright kill him now.

I honestly am not sure how he's gone on so long. I hope he gets better.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chromatic posted:

He should really consider slowing down/retiring at this point.

I don't think he can afford to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are saying it was the thin air that got to him there. But who knows ... the guy is nearing death unfortunately. :(

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Christ that's an atrocious production job

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

symbolic posted:

Speaking of Motorhead, I don't think anyone ever posted their really weird video for one of their upcoming tracks, "Electricity". It's a good song (even though you can tell Lemmy is straining his vocals), but I can't make heads or tails of the video.

Where have I heard that riff before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq07IKQBKQs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think there's a point where it would do more harm to quit than good...I think Lemmy is so praised as being immortal at this point that people forget he is a human. It certainly sucks to see him go downhill health-wise, but if I were him I'd be in a more "gently caress it, I'm thankful I was able to keep up this lifestyle this long" attitude than a "Man I should quit drinking after 30+ years of a 5th a day" one.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know its metal rep suicide to say this but ive never cared for motorhead

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Zero consistently good albums

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

INEPSY is better that's for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8LscrSOdvk

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

nerve posted:

Zero consistently good albums

Yeah, they go all over the place. But throughout all those has a solid loving base of amazing songs.

Hell, Iron Fist is goddamn solid start to finish.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Me either, but I think it's a generational thing in my case. I didn't start listening to "metal" (ignoring 80's hair metal anyway) until probably '92 and went full bore into black/death inbetween listening to Grunge with everyone else.

I've tried over the years to go back to stuff like Motorhead just because I feel obligated but I can't do it, it's boring. Same thing with Bathory ( this is an even greater sin ) - I love the music, I've loved every cover I've ever heard ( which were my first exposures to Bathory ), but I can't even make it through a single of the original songs ( regardless of album ) without shutting it off halfway through.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I *am* part of that generation and I never got into motorhead either. I'd much rather listen to Priest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv18Qz0-itU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWsjLRfeHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7fk6ijHp8

Lemmy's best stuff wasn't til the late 90s, early 2000s anyway :v:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

1916 is my personal favorite and I'm pretty sure it's from the 90s

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Inferno is my personal favorite but I've always felt that 2-3 records are pretty much all you need from them.

They're the ac/dc of metal and that's great or awful depending on who you ask.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 29, 2015

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I think it's because I skipped the usual progression in metal fandom. Someone in high school played me a Slayer album once and I immediately skipped everything and went head first into death metal.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I think it's because I skipped the usual progression in metal fandom. Someone in high school played me a Slayer album once and I immediately skipped everything and went head first into death metal.
On the opposite end of that progression scale, I worked slowly from grunge to NWOBHM to thrash. I was 14 or 15 when I got into Florida death metal and that's still the heaviest I can go. :shrug:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I was introduced to metal by in flames' bullet ride and children of bodom's every time I die

I definitely still lean towards the melodic side of things

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Kumbamontu posted:

I definitely still lean towards the melodic side of things

Same, symphonic and technical death metal just work for me.

On that note, I've been on a major Septicflesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse kick recently. What else will I like in this bend that I probably haven't heard of?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Psypheria

Draco Hypnalis

Scrambled Defuncts

Theory in Practice

Hollenthon

as well as some modern tech death like Irreversible Mechanism, Whorion, and Aeon of Horus but I don't like that stuff much.

Also, they're not death metal, but Mechina and Neurotech write some pretty fun symphonic cyber metal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I went from Metallica straight into black metal, then into doom and now I'm on a huge death metal/deathgrind kick. There are still some genres I haven't explored at all really (mainly thrash and power metal)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kinda the same, I didn't get into thrash outside of the "Big 4" until recently, Glad I did though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Arch/Matheos were amazing live, John Arch sounds so good. It's nifty how much the crowd factored into The Apparition - you get even more of them than him in that video. There wasn't as much singing along at the hometown show, but Arch was very sharp and charismatic. It's amazing how he still managed that style of acrobatic singing after decades of rarely performing.

You'll find some gems if you search YouTube for The Apparition, from Arch singing it with Dream Theater (great) to Alder butchering it with FW (not his worst performance of an Arch song) to some really bad covers. This one, in particular, stands out because the guitar sounds bad in the intro, but it doesn't sound so bad after two minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWFDi81qx8

It's actually pretty well done, it just lacks the ethereal sheen of the original. Steel Prophet's cover is well done, too.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The albums suck compared to the live show.